3/9 Wheelersburg v Hiland

Hawks1112
Varsity

Re: 3/9 Wheelersburg v Hiland

Post by Hawks1112 »

The scary part is that Hiland has one senior and she doesn't even play till the end of the games , when games are out of reach,the starters are mainly sophomores and freshman and they have three juniors and the eighth grade class was 20-0 this season, Hawks set the record for the winningest girls program in Ohio now, with 850 wins and 16. trips to the final four

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Hawks1112 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:51 am The scary part is that Hiland has one senior and she doesn't even play till the end of the games , when games are out of reach,the starters are mainly sophomores and freshman and they have three juniors and the eighth grade class was 20-0 this season, Hawks set the record for the winningest girls program in Ohio now, with 850 wins and 16. trips to the final four
That's very impressive!!

Just finished reading the story about Perry Reese. Great man that really got that program rolling on the boys side that seems to have trickled down to the girls side.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

I remember Perry Reese when he started at now defunct Guernsey Central (in Cambridge).

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Those schools up there just keep turning them out...

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Question for Burg followers ? I went to the game yesterday as I was on 33 going to Wv and passing thru Logan around game time so I stopped to take it in. I sat in front row around midcourt. The first thing I noticed during warmups was that about half the Burg girls shorts were either pegged or stitched up on the outer side in the middle on one leg and sometimes both legs near the thigh. My first thought was that it would be tighter, uncomfortable and more restrictive when bringing knee length basketball shorts up that high on the sides if I were wearing them. Just a thought and a question as to why, nothing disparaging . I've never noticed another team doing that.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Hawks1112
Varsity

Post by Hawks1112 »

I was looking at our basketball program, Perry coach at Hiland for 16 seasons, with a record of 304-85 Mark Schlabach who played for Perry in the early 90's is in his 13 year coaching at Hiland with a coaching record of 308-57, Mark's brother Dave is in his 27 year coaching the lady Hawks with an unbelievable record of 709-106, with 5 state titles,4 state runner-ups

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Congrats to Burg on a great season. No shame in losing to a tough team like that. Like lucas said above, the shot against Morgan will be remembered for a long time regardless of the result of the next game.

yabbadabbadoo/hawks1112: I can remember as a kid way back (around 91 or 92) getting to meet Coach Reese when he brought his Berlin Hiland team down to South Webster and they stayed overnight for a scrimmage. Those kids could play and it was impressive to watch up close. Scrimmage was worth their while as Webster fed them ribs and barbecue from Scioto Ribber afterwards before their trip back north! Hated to hear of Coach Reese's passing a few years back, but glad to see Berlin Hiland's program still going strong all these years later (except now they SE Ohio's problem in soccer, basketball, and baseball!)*

goinbroke
Riding the Bench

Post by goinbroke »

If you carefully examine Berlin's team, you'll notice they have some very nice players. Miller is a very good player. Yet, it is their "system" that kills their opponents. Chalk it up to the area's "Amish" heritage and work ethic possibly, but those girls know their job and are intent on doing it until the final horn with no questions asked. If they don't perform to the best of their ability, then there's someone on the bench that is. They have total buy-in and support from the community also. This isn't the normal attitude of teenagers and parents these days. You don't have the continued success of Berlin without this "team" community. Jealousy, lack of work ethic, poor community support, politics, and parental interference kills continuous success.

I wouldn't exactly write off Berlin against Africentric. Berlin may have less talent, but they have a heck of a coach that will prepare the team very well, and those girls will fight until the end. I look forward to seeing this result.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

goinbroke wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:23 am If you carefully examine Berlin's team, you'll notice they have some very nice players. Miller is a very good player. Yet, it is their "system" that kills their opponents. Chalk it up to the area's "Amish" heritage and work ethic possibly, but those girls know their job and are intent on doing it until the final horn with no questions asked. If they don't perform to the best of their ability, then there's someone on the bench that is. They have total buy-in and support from the community also. This isn't the normal attitude of teenagers and parents these days. You don't have the continued success of Berlin without this "team" community. Jealousy, lack of work ethic, poor community support, politics, and parental interference kills continuous success.

I wouldn't exactly write off Berlin against Africentric. Berlin may have less talent, but they have a heck of a coach that will prepare the team very well, and those girls will fight until the end. I look forward to seeing this result.
Go Hawks

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Hiland is the epitome of team concept. It was fun to watch. Burg girls overachieved this year. Lack of depth and a low scoring post option that won a conference, sectional, district and a regional runner up, that's pretty good considering. Hiland is good enough to beat Africentric.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:22 am Hiland is the epitome of team concept. It was fun to watch. Burg girls overachieved this year. Lack of depth and a low scoring post option that won a conference, sectional, district and a regional runner up, that's pretty good considering. Hiland is good enough to beat Africentric.
Gave them a game

Return to “Girls Basketball”