Coaches Ignoring OHSAA Plea For Help?

K-1122
Waterboy

Coaches Ignoring OHSAA Plea For Help?

Post by K-1122 »

While I don't entirely agree with this, it is coming from the governing body. I've seen scores across the state with 50+ pt. margins and that in my mind is still not in the realm of embarrassing the other team. Though I think I saw an MVL score of 100-10 this year, you know who they are. (maybe because it was before the memo? - link below)
Colleges recruit, it's ok for Ashland University to beat somebody by 80
HS don't recruit (typically :), some are dealt little talent, so why do some schools run up some of the scores we see.

There was a soccer score in Ohio this year, I believe 24-0...soccer is kind of like football in that goals/td's against evenly matched teams are similarly attained, so this match was 144-0, really?

https://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Bask ... sMemo5.pdf

SCOH50
JV Team

Re: Coaches Ignoring OHSAA Plea For Help?

Post by SCOH50 »

Its on OHSAA, we have Mercy rule during tourney now, then lets have it during the season. Why let teams beat the hell out of another team. JV players get in the game and get excited, hard to yell at them. So Coaches can help but OHSAA install Mercy rule, easy fix.

K-1122
Waterboy

Post by K-1122 »

The 1000 point clubs will mean more moving forward, but no asterisks in the books?...so be it, all because OHSAA determined that if coaches cannot implement a recommendation, here comes a new rule.

Will be interesting to see if the starters are left in longer next season to "get their #'s", at the expense of the bench?

Of course both teams will lose playing time, but on the winning team, some will lose more than others.

SCOH50
JV Team

Post by SCOH50 »

Well it will hurt and 1000 pt club still will be the same, limited players getting it, it will be the 1500-2000 pts, but also I would rather see it over quicker then sit and watch a team get pummeled and possible players getting hurt. Losing isn't fun and its worse when you get Blown out every night, and your kids are trying hard. Then again if more kids worried less about Fortnight scores, and social media games may closer. JMO

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Who gives a crap about points ? Wow. It’s about the team and making a tournament run. What are we creating ? Wow again

SCOH50
JV Team

Post by SCOH50 »

E High wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:24 am Who gives a crap about points ? Wow. It’s about the team and making a tournament run. What are we creating ? Wow again
I didn't care about points, I stated that we NEED the Mercy Rule, it was brought up to me about points, but nothing wrong with players having personal goals as long as they don't come before Team Goals. Coaches have goals right? I am for the Mercy Rule so obviously I am not about points.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

if you are ahead by this many points your first team should be sitting

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

itsme wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:08 pm if you are ahead by this many points your first team should be sitting
Crap coaches could start their 2nd 5 for a couple minutes

E High
All State

Post by E High »

For most of 2nd half. Why too many bad teams. Let 2nd group play most of 2nd half. Other team is harmless

justpassinthru
Riding the Bench

Post by justpassinthru »

in my opinion this is a interesting topic. I understand what most are saying since it falls in the current political climate of not offending anyone.
What about the kid that put in hours and hours of practice to become the player they have become. Now we are supposed to tell that kid they cannot play or score because the team we are playing (often because we have to - conference requirement) did nothing to get better and they stink.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

justpassinthru wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:27 pm in my opinion this is a interesting topic. I understand what most are saying since it falls in the current political climate of not offending anyone.
What about the kid that put in hours and hours of practice to become the player they have become. Now we are supposed to tell that kid they cannot play or score because the team we are playing (often because we have to - conference requirement) did nothing to get better and they stink.

They might of put in same amount ot time but just don't have the talent. But it does show that a coach has class

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

justpassinthru wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:27 pm in my opinion this is a interesting topic. I understand what most are saying since it falls in the current political climate of not offending anyone.
Gotta agree in some ways. Schedules are made few years out so knowing what someone has is difficult. To me the opposing team needs to wave the red flag before subs start rolling. But a good teams players should not be limited to time on the floor because they are good. So I generally say play the game and learn to win and lose.

K-1122
Waterboy

Post by K-1122 »

I brought the OHSAA memo to light, mostly because I wanted to see opinions other than mine, or views on the topic I may have never thought of, and I see both sides presented. I don't really know where the mercy regulations in certain sports blossom from. Are athletic directors from the high level of play team's school or low level of play team's school presenting the case for mercy rules to the OHSAA, or is it just the OHSAA itself determining the need?

I truly believe that if you field a team in a certain sport, you should play a full game against an opponent...except in an un-timed sport. The baseball/softball mercy rule therefore makes sense. The games could last 3-4-5 hours w/o a mercy rule...actual mercy rule baseball and softball games may actually be longer with more pitches and at bat's than a 1-0 pitcher's duel?

I guess if we must have these running clocks in timed sports, can we at least just do it for the tournament where winning and moving on are most relevant, and the outcome of the game is known early on. The regular season is for development of both types of teams, and to shorten that certainly takes away development time from the team that needs it the most.

Return to “Girls Basketball”