What's with the Portsmouth Daily Times

mglight88
SE

What's with the Portsmouth Daily Times

Post by mglight88 »

I rarely speak my peace or try to bash anything or anyone but this needs to stop. It saddens me even more because back in the day I was apart of the sports department there. They have on numerous occasions mispelled players names or shown a picture but cutlines didn't match. Well I think this tops it. In a recent sports brief, Minford traveled to Waterford and came away with a huge win. However, Minford in the story didn't play Waterford. They apparently played at Coldwater.
What makes this bad is that players, parents and even fans clip articles out for their team and one of your articles is incorrect.
Pretty bad when all you need to do is PROOFREAD.
We all have internet access. Verify opponents with schedules. C'mon PDT, get it together.

ManitouDan2
SE

Re: What's with the Portsmouth Daily Times

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Its a mess , I hate that it isn't a strong newspaper . A solid small town newspaper is a great thing . They should look at the Ledger from Maysville Ky .. great local paper , and the Ashland Daily isn't bad either . The guy that was running the sports was good but I think he left ? Cody ?

SCOH50
JV Team

Post by SCOH50 »

In defense of Sports Writer Smith, his twitter account has accurate and update to date info, so I don't know how that happens in the actual publishing

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I've read a few sports articles from them. Terrible. Misspelled words, missing punctuation. I read an article about a football game and the writer was trying to write it like a midevel monologue. At least that's the way they made it come out.
I read one about a basketball game and they got one of the teams wrong and both rosters we're wrong lol

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

The daily times has gone down hill. Not just for basketball but all sports, they used to cover ever game during basketball and football the next day now your lucky if you get to read an article about more than two-three games the next day if at all that week

SCOH50
JV Team

Post by SCOH50 »

As far as covering all the games, that was mostly done by coaches calling in results, they never have had a big staff of writers, so just like me talking about kids stats on game nights, a lot of coaches just don't call in results for whatever reason they have. So its not all on Staff writers, plus like I stated before check out their Social Media stuff, for actual in game info. Twitter @JacobSmithPDT, @dw1509, also you can find info @bspicerTV or @ohio50 on games and players.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

That's just it. You shouldn't have to check out other social media sites for correct game information. Should be accurate in the first place. Again not talking about a misspelled name, talking about an error with teams opponent. Should have been checked during proofreading. If your going to write a sports brief, at least get the teams right that played.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

It’s just not the sports it’s the whole paper.My Mom said once my Dad passed away she would dump the Times.And in 2010 she did just that.

"I have a deep affection for the University of Pittsburgh.It is my University.I am proud to be a Pitt man.”-Jock Sutherland
carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

IMO sports writers should stay off their cellphones while covering games. If you're going to tweet everything that happens at a game what's the sense of buying the paper the next day?
Everyone wants to be a social media star with followers galore, even sports writers. Do your job and cover the event.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

It’s a strange time for sports writers. You can write a story without tweeting anything out about the game and people will still post the entire thing online (it has happened multiple times here this season)

Or you can tweet out updates with kids tagged in them, they retweet that and you get more clicks on your online story and the paper/site gets more attention.

This is a time for instant gratification and if you are not active on social media, you’ll become obsolete even quicker. The times that people are going out and buying a paper are nearly gone, so you have to have an online presence.

However, you still need to get information correct, that part will never change.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

I completely agree with the above statement.
My question about any newspaper is how can a game not be in the print edition the following day? 20 years ago, a team would play on Friday night and a full story along with information about the other local games as well be in the paper the very next day. Seems like with the advancement in technology it would be easier to hit a deadline for the print edition and not a day or 2 after the game has been completed.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

KRS wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:29 pm I completely agree with the above statement.
My question about any newspaper is how can a game not be in the print edition the following day? 20 years ago, a team would play on Friday night and a full story along with information about the other local games as well be in the paper the very next day. Seems like with the advancement in technology it would be easier to hit a deadline for the print edition and not a day or 2 after the game has been completed.
That’s true.And I agree with you.

"I have a deep affection for the University of Pittsburgh.It is my University.I am proud to be a Pitt man.”-Jock Sutherland
mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

KRS wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:29 pm I completely agree with the above statement.
Yes, but you've got to work after 5pm to do that! I know a "daily" newspaper in Western Ohio that there is nothing in news or sports that could have been written after 5pm the day before.

Return to “Girls Basketball”