2 Quarter JV Girls Basketball Games Are Back, Along With Low Numbers
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2018 ... ow-numbers

It's a concern

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: 2 Quarter JV Girls Basketball Games Are Back, Along With Low Numbers

Post by Orange and Brown »

They never left lol
A lot of D4 girls teams don't have enough kids to play 4 quarters of JV basketball.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

2 qtr JV games are played for the following reasons:
1: Lack of Numbers 12 or less in the HS
2: Lazy Coaches

I believe if you have 6 girls you play a full JV game. Too many coaches are wanting to only play 2 qtrs so they can get out "early" and get home. If coaches have this thinking they should get out and let someone who wants to put time into the program. JMO. It's a lack of respect to the JV girls who also put time in the summer and winter months.

Jar
Waterboy

Post by Jar »

It’s not laziness. It’s the 5 quarters only per night rule. Usually two of those girls dress varsity and COULD be needed to sub in during the varsity games. Solution: JV boys and girls on Mon and Thursday night and Varsity Girls and Boys on Tuesday and Friday nights.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

baseball16 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:26 am 2 qtr JV games are played for the following reasons:
1: Lack of Numbers 12 or less in the HS
2: Lazy Coaches

I believe if you have 6 girls you play a full JV game. Too many coaches are wanting to only play 2 qtrs so they can get out "early" and get home. If coaches have this thinking they should get out and let someone who wants to put time into the program. JMO. It's a lack of respect to the JV girls who also put time in the summer and winter months.
I agree, the 2 quarters of JV discouraged my daughter from playing basketball this year. It's a lot of hard work and a long season to know that you're only going to get a couple minutes of playing time when the "jv team" only plays 2 quarters and varsity players are getting some of that time also. She invests most of her time into another sport, but she misses it this year.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

Jar wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:46 am It’s not laziness. It’s the 5 quarters only per night rule. Usually two of those girls dress varsity and COULD be needed to sub in during the varsity games. Solution: JV boys and girls on Mon and Thursday night and Varsity Girls and Boys on Tuesday and Friday nights.
Why are 2 teams with 15+ girls on their roster not playing a full JV game? I understand if the numbers are low, but that wasn't normally the case for us last year.

father time
Waterboy

Post by father time »

Browns30 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:24 am
Jar wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:46 am It’s not laziness. It’s the 5 quarters only per night rule. Usually two of those girls dress varsity and COULD be needed to sub in during the varsity games. Solution: JV boys and girls on Mon and Thursday night and Varsity Girls and Boys on Tuesday and Friday nights.
Why are 2 teams with 15+ girls on their roster not playing a full JV game? I understand if the numbers are low, but that wasn't normally the case for us last year.
Quarter Limitations, a coach has to prepare on the side of caution for an injury and foul trouble and quarter limitations restrict that somewhat.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

father time wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:27 am
Quarter Limitations, a coach has to prepare on the side of caution for an injury and foul trouble and quarter limitations restrict that somewhat.
Don't allow your varsity players to play in the JV game... plain and simple. If you have 15+ players, you should have a JV team and a varsity team.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

yeah i agree with 15 girls a full game should be played. Your 8th- 10th players will play 3 varsity and 2 jv. That leaves 5 full time jv players and 3 subs going both ways. if you have to finish the last 2 minutes of a jv game with 4 players then so be it. Its unlikely your 9th and 10th player even needs 3 varsity quarters.

father time
Waterboy

Post by father time »

Browns30 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:30 am
father time wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:27 am

Don't allow your varsity players to play in the JV game... plain and simple. If you have 15+ players, you should have a JV team and a varsity team.
I just dont believe every team and every night is always the same, difficult to predict how things will go on any given night

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

My point is, the 6-7 girls who you know won't see one second of varsity time should be the kids playing in the JV game, especially when there are only 2 quarters. Your varsity players should not be playing in that JV game. Last year, I watched a varsity starter play a whole quarter of every JV game when there were only 2 quarters to be played.

tomcat
Riding the Bench

Post by tomcat »

I watched a jv game last year that had 8 girls on one team and 7 on the other. When varsity played only 2 players dressed from the 15, and those 2 did not play. Very stupid only playing 2 quarters. And you wonder why numbers have are low? This happened when both teams played that year.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

tomcat wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:11 am I watched a jv game last year that had 8 girls on one team and 7 on the other. When varsity played only 2 players dressed from the 15, and those 2 did not play. Very stupid only playing 2 quarters. And you wonder why numbers have are low? This happened when both teams played that year.
I blame the administration and AD for allowing that to happen. But Trust me, many administrators and AD want a short night as well. !! Sad but true!!

Return to “Girls Basketball”