2018/19 Portsmouth Lady Trojans

Miles Wood
Waterboy

Re: 2018/19 Portsmouth Lady Trojans

Post by Miles Wood »

Don't know exactly what happeded,But If you people at Portsmouth just want to win 2 or 3 games a year,hire another cheerleader as coach.Anybody with an ounce of brains knows that Amy does things her way.And it's been pretty successful.State final four in 2005 regional finalist in 2006.Multiple winning seasons.Ask most former players she's had and they'll say they were glad she used her way of coaching.If you just pat Suzy on the back and say that's ok you'll continue to lose.

"The Autumn Wind Is A Pirate"
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Miles Wood wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:23 pm Don't know exactly what happeded,But If you people at Portsmouth just want to win 2 or 3 games a year,hire another cheerleader as coach.Anybody with an ounce of brains knows that Amy does things her way.And it's been pretty successful.State final four in 2005 regional finalist in 2006.Multiple winning seasons.Ask most former players she's had and they'll say they were glad she used her way of coaching.If you just pat Suzy on the back and say that's ok you'll continue to lose.

I was there to see fairland and I don't have a kid named Suzy :)

Everyone has their way of coaching and I do think Amy is a good coach just don't agree with what she did last night .

Go look at 1/29/19 updates

Miles Wood
Waterboy

Post by Miles Wood »

Pinky wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:30 pm
Miles Wood wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:23 pm Don't know exactly what happeded,But If you people at Portsmouth just want to win 2 or 3 games a year,hire another cheerleader as coach.Anybody with an ounce of brains knows that Amy does things her way.And it's been pretty successful.State final four in 2005 regional finalist in 2006.Multiple winning seasons.Ask most former players she's had and they'll say they were glad she used her way of coaching.If you just pat Suzy on the back and say that's ok you'll continue to lose.

I was there to see fairland and I don't have a kid named Suzy :)

Everyone has their way of coaching and I do think Amy is a good coach just don't agree with what she did last night .

Go look at 1/29/19 updates
What updates??

Dragon70
Freshman Team

Post by Dragon70 »

Her team was down by 20 points and she told them not to move and they stood there like toy soldiers in a 2-3 zone while the clock just ticked. She quit on her team and in doing so taught her kids that in life outside of basketball if your down give up. If I was AD I would need a reason that don’t even exist in my opinion to rip up her pink slip.

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Dragon70 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:25 pm Her team was down by 20 points and she told them not to move and they stood there like toy soldiers in a 2-3 zone while the clock just ticked. She quit on her team and in doing so taught her kids that in life outside of basketball if your down give up. If I was AD I would need a reason that don’t even exist in my opinion to rip up her pink slip.

Thank you ,I was beginning to think it was just me

Miles Wood
Waterboy

Post by Miles Wood »

Why does this seem to bother Fairland more than Portsmouth? Don't know the game situation,but were they in bad foul trouble? I know they only play 5 girls.Mainly because of the train wreck program she inherited.
Last edited by Miles Wood on Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon70
Freshman Team

Post by Dragon70 »

Miles Wood wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:43 pm Why does this seem to bother Fairland more than Portsmouth? Don't know the game situation,but were they in bad foul trouble? I know they only play 5 girls.Mainly because of the train wreak program she inherited.
It bothered me cause I feel bad for her team. That’s embarrassing not only to her girls but basketball in general and I don’t agree with what Fairland did either. If it’s a train wreck program hire a better conductor that will at least finish the trip!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Miles Wood wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:43 pm Why does this seem to bother Fairland more than Portsmouth? Don't know the game situation,but were they in bad foul trouble? I know they only play 5 girls.Mainly because of the train wreck program she inherited.
Let’s say they only had 5 players and foul trouble....have everyone play defense, foul trouble kids on worst offensive players....they were down 20, why not play good tough defense? What if they lose a player and play with 4? I’ve seen that. What if they fouled out and had just 3? I’ve seen that....what if they kept competing and were down to 2? I’ve seen that.

Play it through the buzzer or until out of players.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Could someone give a more precise take on what occurred ? It sounds like PHS was down 20 in the 4th and the coach told them to zone up but not move ? How did Fairland respond ?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

ManitouDan2: I went to the game, and here's what happened:

With 5 minutes to go, and Fairland up 19 points, with the Dragons having possession of the ball, the Lady Trojans were instructed to go to a zone in which no one moved. Fairland simply held the ball out front with no movement whatsoever, and the last 5 minutes ran off the clock unchallenged by the Lady Trojans.

I was very upset that the game ended that way........it was embarrassing to the Lady Trojans, I felt bad for them, and they should never have been put in that position.

What life lessons were learned by the Lady Trojans from that experience? I thought that you were supposed to fight to the end in a ballgame, but the Lady Trojans were not allowed to do so. After the game, I walked out of the gym with some Fairland fans and players and even they were upset that the game ended like that. The Trojans' parents and fans were furious, and rightfully so.

Amy Hughes is a very good coach with a highly decorated background, and has done a good job with this year's Lady Trojans, but what she did vs. Fairland in those last 5 minutes was one of the worst coaching decisions I have ever seen.

SCOH50
JV Team

Post by SCOH50 »

LOL, She hasn't quit on these kids, she had her reasoning I am sure, its easy to say what you would do from the sidelines. Did Fairland just sit out there and dribble? Nothing stopped them from taking shots, just Coach Buchanon chose to do what he wanted to do. (nothing wrong there) There are other coaches who would have ran some plays they wanted to work on and shot the ball (which I would have done, lol) or took so many passes and shot, I know a few coaches who would have went for as many points as possible, once again coaches decision.

I was told Eley went out about the time this all started, well if that was the case there goes your ballhandler, who would have been able to control the ball without turning it over without a chance to score? Fairland gets layups and score 70-80 as they have done the previous year? I watched them vs Chesapeake and fans were upset she sat in the zone down the stretch and I saw wat she choose to do as Peake made several bad passes that turned into points for Portsmouth and gave them a shot to win down the stretch, She chooses to do what she wants to do for her team. However, I will say without Eley on the Floor WHO is able to handle the ball against Fairlands defense?

Don't have to like what a coach does but in the same time she has won more games basically then has been won the last couple of years combined I believe. She just choose to not have her kids get blown out badly, one last thing, people are on here knocking her instead of knocking her players

time to move on to the next one and Tourny Seeding..

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Wow, so you would have people on here knocking her players? Isn't it the coaches job to coach up players? So Eley hasn't sat at one minute of game time all season? Seems to me you're saying every other player is incapable of dribbling or passing. If that's the case, then practice should consist of basic skills to develop your players. Season is almost done and you haven't developed a secondary ball handler? Down 20 or down 50 as a coach you tell your kids a loss is a loss and move on. Never is it good to teach your kids to quit competing. Not up to the team up 20 to keep the game going.

SCOH50
JV Team

Post by SCOH50 »

Ff3233 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:11 pm Wow, so you would have people on here knocking her players? Isn't it the coaches job to coach up players? So Eley hasn't sat at one minute of game time all season? Seems to me you're saying every other player is incapable of dribbling or passing. If that's the case, then practice should consist of basic skills to develop your players. Season is almost done and you haven't developed a secondary ball handler? Down 20 or down 50 as a coach you tell your kids a loss is a loss and move on. Never is it good to teach your kids to quit competing. Not up to the team up 20 to keep the game going.
No I said she "choose to have herself knocked on here, not her players", and they can dribble but come on everyone knows that Jaz is their Primary ballhandler(Jaz has worked at it), nothing wrong with that. And (if you look back through this you will see that some have knocked this team) I will tell you she does a lot of ballhandling but big difference doing it in drills then in games and they have improved from earlier this year. Unless you were in the Team Huddle or Locker Room and heard what she said to her kids, I will continue to say its her call as the Coach, dont have to agree with it, if find it hard to believe she was telling them in the huddle or locker room just give up. Thats all I will say, like I said its onto the next game and see how they respond

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

The number 1 ball handler goes out,put next year's ball handler in charge and a chance to get some experience against good competition,what could hurt?

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

I saw the video a little bit ago , on the surface looks like a poor choice but very few know what was said in that huddle . Maybe there is some reasoning behind it . Maybe not ?

Miles Wood
Waterboy

Post by Miles Wood »

Ok,everybody has their panties in a bunch because they think they gave up on defense.tell me,so what did they do on offense ?Just throw the ball back to fairland? That would be the true sign they threw in the towel. And better yet,why did fairland not attack? Two wrongs don’t make a right.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Yeah I kinda wondered why Fairland just didn't run a set and attack and score

Miles Wood
Waterboy

Post by Miles Wood »

ManitouDan2 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:08 pm Yeah I kinda wondered why Fairland just didn't run a set and attack and score
That’s a mystery for sure...

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

We’re all working on mysteries without any clues.Dead Horse alert! Let it go!

"I have a deep affection for the University of Pittsburgh.It is my University.I am proud to be a Pitt man.”-Jock Sutherland
Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Fairland was probably trying to win. Portsmouth was down 19 and went to a zone where no player moved and no one pressured the ball.

1. There’s literally not a way they can lose if Portsmouth never attains the ball. Portsmouth wasn’t permitted to try.

2. What’s being taught? Hey let’s lose by 19 rather than 30

3. Only one ballhandler lol. So the whole game only one Portsmouth girl ever dribbled?

Defending of it is quite the reach. If trojandave is mad, no reason to believe it was anything other than a ploy not to lose by more.

They were down and all but 100% out. This isn’t on Fairland’s coach. You play to win the game. The zone was ridiculous and there’s no defending it with any sense.

Keep the excuses for the indefensible coming. Fun to read.

Return to “Girls Basketball”