Top 10 All-Time SE District Players

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Top 10 All-Time SE District Players

Post by noreply66 »

Kraft was coaching up in the New England area...just can't remember the college.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Could make an argument for Ella Skeens.

Mandy Stanhope is another good one. 3yrs at Southeastern and a year at Chillicothe. Roughly a 1500pt scorer. Went on to play 4 years at Ohio State.

Fireball8
Waterboy

Post by Fireball8 »

Gwen Pinkerton 1989 Piketon High School.
1572 points no 3-point line I believe. Amazing player.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

se-alum wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:14 pm Could make an argument for Ella Skeens.

Mandy Stanhope is another good one. 3yrs at Southeastern and a year at Chillicothe. Roughly a 1500pt scorer. Went on to play 4 years at Ohio State.
Yes, both

A Southeastern girl from about 1995?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Yes, both

Yes. Graduated in 97.

Another couple notes on Eblin. She was a 1,000 point scorer at Old Dominion, her teams went a combined 120-12 in her four years, reaching the National Championship her sophomore year and they advanced to the Sweet 16 in the other 3 seasons. Averaged 8.8 a game and really wasn't a rotation player her freshman year. She did hold all of their 3 point records until about 4-5 years ago too.

Shoot_It_From_Deep
Freshman Team

Post by Shoot_It_From_Deep »

Another fine player was Kathy Coyner from Belpre.
Well over 1000 points at Belpre and over 1100 points at UMass

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:55 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Yes, both

Yes. Graduated in 97.

Another couple notes on Eblin. She was a 1,000 point scorer at Old Dominion, her teams went a combined 120-12 in her four years, reaching the National Championship her sophomore year and they advanced to the Sweet 16 in the other 3 seasons. Averaged 8.8 a game and really wasn't a rotation player her freshman year. She did hold all of their 3 point records until about 4-5 years ago too.
It was really cool watching Eblin play and contribute on an Old Dominion team that was that good.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Amy Hughes- Wheelersburg signed to play at UConn. stayed there one season I believe
I would put her in my top 5

Spartan96
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan96 »

Lexi Barrier from Ironton, currently @JMU

Bret Wrightsel
Riding the Bench

Post by Bret Wrightsel »

Some Chilli girls to consider, Osh Brown ( Ball State ) , Hannah Day ( Otterbein ) , Abby Bunstein, Julie Coleman, Mahogany Cross ( Morehead State )

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

How did Oats from Chilliothe do after high school?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Bunch of very good mentions. Good call on Hughes...a top 10 for sure

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Bret Wrightsel wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:47 pm Some Chilli girls to consider, Osh Brown ( Ball State ) , Hannah Day ( Otterbein ) , Abby Bunstein, Julie Coleman, Mahogany Cross ( Morehead State )
Dont know about top ten in hoops but its a top ten all time Name Team " Mahogany Cross"

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Having watched, scouted, coached for/against, and cheered for many on this topic I notice one thing. Southeastern Ohio has had some very very good basketball players.

Having said that, (and this is not a knock on those very very good players), I feel that there are only a handful that I would consider elite. The kind that their motor doesn't stop, the kind that opposing coaches change complete game plans for and often fail to stop them, and the kind that fans and opposing fans can leave the game and appreciate what they saw.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

MightyOaksFan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:36 pm Having watched, scouted, coached for/against, and cheered for many on this topic I notice one thing. Southeastern Ohio has had some very very good basketball players.

Having said that, (and this is not a knock on those very very good players), I feel that there are only a handful that I would consider elite. The kind that their motor doesn't stop, the kind that opposing coaches change complete game plans for and often fail to stop them, and the kind that fans and opposing fans can leave the game and appreciate what they saw.
Graduating in 1992 I was fortunate to get to see Katie Smith come to Jackson (not only in basketball but volleyball and track)...her stories are legendary. Bo Jackson like. Dunking a volleyball pregame...at 5’10...how the all remained inflated after her spikes was beyond me. At track meet set state record in shot...then discus....then go over and win the 100m? Lol she did it.

Age 14, first game at Jackson (who had great athletes and players)...went for 28 in first half and I wasn’t convinced she couldn’t score on MJ after watching the way she scored. We had never seen anything remotely like it. I’m not convinced she couldn’t win 1 on 5. Had high school athletes been eligible I believe she would’ve been on gold medal Olympic team as a senior.

After graduation just 10 miles down the road some girl named Jaime was putting on show night after night. If you didn’t love watching Jamie Lewis blow up the stat sheets...I question that you even like sports. Couldn’t have been more dynamic. Watching her and Smith pregame was worth the price of admission.

Once Lewis graduated a blonde headed kid here in town was quite phenomenal. Beth Howe dominated the courts scoring nearly 2200 career points and could star the show quite well herself.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:56 pm
Graduating in 1992 I was fortunate to get to see Katie Smith come to Jackson (not only in basketball but volleyball and track)...her stories are legendary. Bo Jackson like. Dunking a volleyball pregame...at 5’10...how the all remained inflated after her spikes was beyond me. At track meet set state record in shot...then discus....then go over and win the 100m? Lol she did it.
That 1992 year for Katie she set the state record in the shot put and discus, also winning both of them at the state meet. She had so many other accolades in track and volleyball. But, you can't deny her, like you mentioned as the best women's basketball player from the area, for some of you that don't know all the honors:

High School:
All-State, State title game, Gatorade National Player of the Year, WBCA High School All-American Game MVP. 2,740 high school points which is still 5th on the all-time Ohio list.

College:
Big Ten Championship, National Team Runner-up. Big Ten scoring record: not only for women but men's as well (as of her time of graduation). Big Ten Player of the Year twice. First female Ohio State athlete to have their number retired.

International:
Three time gold medalist in the Olympics. Two time gold medalist and one time Bronze medalist in the World Cup. As well as many other international competitions.

Professional:
Played in the ABL and won titles in their only two full seasons of existence. In the WNBA, played for several teams. Became the first pro women's basketball player to ever reach 5,000 points in a pro career. Two time WNBA Champion, one time WNBA Finals MVP. Two times first team WNBA, And was an All-Star seven times.

This is just a fraction of her accomplishments through the years. I know that nobody is questioning her at #1, but naturally, someone will come on here and do it. So, this is why she is considered by Ironman and everyone else to be the best.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:57 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:56 pm
That 1992 year for Katie she set the state record in the shot put and discus, also winning both of them at the state meet. She had so many other accolades in track and volleyball. But, you can't deny her, like you mentioned as the best women's basketball player from the area, for some of you that don't know all the honors:

High School:
All-State, State title game, Gatorade National Player of the Year, WBCA High School All-American Game MVP. 2,740 high school points which is still 5th on the all-time Ohio list.

College:
Big Ten Championship, National Team Runner-up. Big Ten scoring record: not only for women but men's as well (as of her time of graduation). Big Ten Player of the Year twice. First female Ohio State athlete to have their number retired.

International:
Three time gold medalist in the Olympics. Two time gold medalist and one time Bronze medalist in the World Cup. As well as many other international competitions.

Professional:
Played in the ABL and won titles in their only two full seasons of existence. In the WNBA, played for several teams. Became the first pro women's basketball player to ever reach 5,000 points in a pro career. Two time WNBA Champion, one time WNBA Finals MVP. Two times first team WNBA, And was an All-Star seven times.

This is just a fraction of her accomplishments through the years. I know that nobody is questioning her at #1, but naturally, someone will come on here and do it. So, this is why she is considered by Ironman and everyone else to be the best.
If anyone questions if Katie Smith is the greatest player ever from around here, surely they would be joking. It's not even close, especially because she's one of the greatest American players ever. Period.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

From Logan:

Katie (1992)

Melissa Cooper (1994)- played at Ohio U

Tez Kraft (1994) - went on to have a great career at UMass, I believe she was an "All-Atlantic 10" player there - scored over 1,000 points (currently 13th all-time there)

Katie McBroom (2000) - played at Tiffin, outstanding point guard, led Logan to a 19-1 regular season her senior year

Jessica Harris (2007) - dominant post player. Went on to a great career at Tiffin.

Leaving off some great players - including five 1,000 point scorers (Hampshire, Bolen, Ortman, Jennings, Davis) plus Tara Rutherford and Nikkie Tucker.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The question is not is Katie the best girls hoops player ever ... It's, is Katie the best athlete, boy or girl, to ever come out of seo.

The answer: absolutely.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

loganlocos wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:38 am From Logan:

Katie (1992)

Melissa Cooper (1994)- played at Ohio U

Tez Kraft (1994) - went on to have a great career at UMass, I believe she was an "All-Atlantic 10" player there - scored over 1,000 points (currently 13th all-time there)

Katie McBroom (2000) - played at Tiffin, outstanding point guard, led Logan to a 19-1 regular season her senior year

Jessica Harris (2007) - dominant post player. Went on to a great career at Tiffin.

Leaving off some great players - including five 1,000 point scorers (Hampshire, Bolen, Ortman, Jennings, Davis) plus Tara Rutherford and Nikkie Tucker.
I agree Tez is a candidate, I worked with her dad during my 10 year tenure in Logan '91-'00, and yes I do believe she was an All Atlantic player at UMass. I only saw Katie play a couple time but she is hands down best player to come out of SEO.

Return to “Girls Basketball”