2017-18 SVC Thoughts/Predictions

mattash
Site Admin

2017-18 SVC Thoughts/Predictions

Post by mattash »

Keep the topics going, what is everyone returning and what is everyone's 2018 outlook

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: 2018 SVC Thoughts/Predictions

Post by danicalifornia »

Southeastern should 3peat, as they have the best player and a solid core that returns. Obviously Wheeler is a huge loss, but don't sleep on the loss of Kali Mitten. She was a solid ballhandler, defender, and shooter for the Panthers. Her sister and Collins both hit huge shots to maintain the Gold Ball in that great game against Unioto.

Unioto will continue to improve and could really make a push like SE did on Westfall a couple of years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the Shermans won the league, but having success in D2 will be a bigger bear. They should be a really fun team to watch.

KRS
JV Team

Re: 2017-18 SVC Thoughts/Predictions

Post by KRS »

I would think Southeastern would be the favorite with Skeens, Collins, Mitten, Morris, and Hice returning. Defensively that line up could be scary. Morris and Skeens can lock up on people with Collins protecting the middle. Bench play could be suspect but when you have a 6'2 kid and a quick defensive minded senior to add to the mix they should have a solid 7.

Unioto will be solid as well. they have a nice core returning and seem to play year around so I would not be completely shocked if they pulled out the title . anyone other than these two finished at the top.. I would be surprised.
Last edited by KRS on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewDude
Waterboy

Post by NewDude »

SE will be the team to beat with Unioto behind them.

Unioto lost their post but bring back young, solid guard play.

OrangeandBlue10
Waterboy

Post by OrangeandBlue10 »

Unioto lost a post that didn't like to be in the post, she would rather shoot the three. But her shot blocking on D will be missed.
Southeastern still the team to beat with Unioto right behind then probably Huntington.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Unioto lost a post that scored 23 of Unioto 57 points when they about upset Southeastern last season. She will be missed more than some think and not just on the defensive end. just like SE losing 2 four year starters will be too.

after seeing the U handle Southeastern in a summer league game tonight , ill say Unioto is probably going to be the favorite. Reminds me of the Cavs /Warriors matchup. Southeastern will have the best player but the Shermans might be to deep. Should be a fun match up. I agree Huntington should finish third if they find a coach.

The Tankster
Waterboy

Post by The Tankster »

KRS wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:26 pm after seeing the U handle Southeastern in a summer league game tonight , ill say Unioto is probably going to be the favorite.
I heard The U was missing 2 starters.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

They might have had some starters missing I am Not real sure who Coach Miller plans on starting this year. To be fair in my assessment of the game, I should have mentioned Skeens, from Southeasten was not there as well. It just looked like Unioto may be a bit deeper than SE. It is just summer and should be an exciting league.

OrangeandBlue10
Waterboy

Post by OrangeandBlue10 »

Unioto was missing Fisher and Coleman.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Unioto was missing some guard play but looked good Monday night in the Jackson league. What I like about this team is their physicality , they will guard you and if you're not willing or capable of matching it you will have troubles. They also have numbers- looks like a lot of the kids are willing to put in the work necessary to win and that is a must.
Caught Southeastern as well, they were missing a post but started a lineup that would give any team on the schedule trouble. 6'1, 5'11, 6'2 all played well to go along with a couple nice guards that have been knocking down the open looks..seems like a freshman or two have stepped up and contributed good minutes so they are finding a nice rotation. Summer League games are wrapping up but kids need to keep working on their game and it should be an exciting winter bb season for the SVC.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

thoughts, the season just around the corner.
Most are leaning toward Unioto and I can't really disagree. they return the majority of their team and have kids that have worked hard in the off season to get better.
Southeastern has a solid 5, with a 6th or 7th man who is probably the tallest kid in the league, should help and a couple guards fighting for minutes.
Huntington returns 4 starters and their two leading scores and ball handlers , they should be fun to watch.
Paint valley- has a nice scorer , scrappy guard play and a size at the center position, they should be much improved.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

KRS wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:22 pm thoughts, the season just around the corner.
Most are leaning toward Unioto and I can't really disagree. they return the majority of their team and have kids that have worked hard in the off season to get better.
Southeastern has a solid 5, with a 6th or 7th man who is probably the tallest kid in the league, should help and a couple guards fighting for minutes.
Huntington returns 4 starters and their two leading scores and ball handlers , they should be fun to watch.
Paint valley- has a nice scorer , scrappy guard play and a size at the center position, they should be much improved.
I see it going much like the volleyball season. It will come down to SE and Unioto, and I expect Unioto to win it. Huntington should be pretty strong, and capable of beating anyone in the league on a given night.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Can't disagree, Southeastern scrimmages tomorrow but was told , skeens , Collins and Hice have only practiced two days this year , due to volleyball, wisdom teeth being pulled and sickness so could take a while for the Panthers to gel. I'll probably wait and check em out later. Good news as far as league play goes is they don't see Unioto until late but do play a tough schedule early with, North adams m Miami trace, and Lynchburg clay in the first 8 games . I look for them to to be much improved as the season goes along.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Previews tomorrow, people usually don't show much but still a good evening of bb. Looking forward to the matchups. Best of luck to all teams on an injury free night and season.
After seeing the previews I think Unioto is the clear favorite but Southeastern could make it interesting if they play to their strength and use their size, if not It is the Shermans title to lose.

The Tankster
Waterboy

Post by The Tankster »

This will be a repeat of volleyball season with Unioto getting another gold ball.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Did either of the SE frosh(Mitten & Huff) do much in the preview?

SE is definitely playing a tourney prep schedule this year. I know Lynchburg and Alexander aren't expected to be as good as previous years, but still tough teams. Throw Miami Trace and North Adams in there, and you got a strong schedule.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

schedule really not much different from last year Dropped wheelersburg added Lynchburg, and traded Jackson with Alexander. If Southeastern can't find significant minutes to utilize their size in this league on the Varsity team and develop them to play with the top 5/6 kids they return They could struggle for a while. People don't show much in The preview but The U won 34-5, and what I saw the U is the favorite but I hope I am wrong.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Thoughts and Prayers go out to Adena's Coach Scott. Such a tragic and senseless situation.

Return to “Girls Basketball”