Administration Boundaries

coachmkc
Riding the Bench

Administration Boundaries

Post by coachmkc »

Has anyone ever heard of a high school administrators, say a principal, come into a girls practice and take over? Try to put in a new offense or defense. Or how about the one that goes into the locker room of a boys Varsity game at halftime to draw up a press break? Just want your opinions. I would think a high school principal would have more important things to do, such as try to raise the academic standards of the school. With a board and administration like that, I know why I no longer Coach.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: Administration Boundaries

Post by thebarlowbandit »

coachmkc wrote:Has anyone ever heard of a high school administrators, say a principal, come into a girls practice and take over? Try to put in a new offense or defense. Or how about the one that goes into the locker room of a boys Varsity game at halftime to draw up a press break? Just want your opinions. I would think a high school principal would have more important things to do, such as try to raise the academic standards of the school. With a board and administration like that, I know why I no longer Coach.

Maybe he felt like you needed help??? ;-)

coachmkc
Riding the Bench

Post by coachmkc »

Lol. Not me.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

A while back our program was struggling pretty good and the principal used to step in and help out when he could. Most seemed pretty receptive. I don't think it was too big of a deal.

Is the school struggling in both boys and girls?

coachmkc
Riding the Bench

Post by coachmkc »

Yes, both are struggling. And I have no problem in getting help. When I was coaching, I talked to coaches everyday. But the way this was done just seemed out of line. Especially since he has a kid on one of the teams. If any other parent would have come into the locker room at halftime, the police would have been called.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

I don't have a clue where you are speaking of but the principal should be at the game anyways. Maybe this was or wasn't done the right way but how can the principal improve academic standards during a basketball game?

Were the coaches mad? Did he help with his input? Is this a TVC school by chance?

coachmkc
Riding the Bench

Post by coachmkc »

Not a TVC school. And yes, I understand and administrator being at a game. I just find it odd that a principal came into a locker room at halftime of a Varsity game to address the team. As a former coach, my AD always told me I hired you to coach that's your job, I'll handle administration work, that's my job. Take away the fact that it's a principal, what if it had been any other parent? My point is, if this principal wants to coach, great then give up the principals job.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

coachmkc wrote:Yes, both are struggling. And I have no problem in getting help. When I was coaching, I talked to coaches everyday. But the way this was done just seemed out of line. Especially since he has a kid on one of the teams. If any other parent would have come into the locker room at halftime, the police would have been called.

I bet you needed the help, want to share with us what your record was? I mean, you may as well tell the entire story.

Other missing piece, who's the administrator? Some have impressive coaching resumes and experience, ones that maybe you could have listened to.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

A lot of administrators do have good coaching resumes. Good point barlowbandit. There might be alot more to this story. Whatever it is hopefully the kids improve and have greater success.

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

If you don't have faith in the coach to do the right thing, then replace him. If you have suggestions for the coach you give them to him in a private meeting, not during a game. If you start allowing input from outsiders during the game, then you will have a line of parents waiting at the door to give you professional advice. It is actually a very simple game to understand. Let the players play, coaches coach, officials make the calls (right or wrong) and everyone in the stands enjoy watching the game. If these things happen you will have an enjoyable evening whether your team wins or loses. Never a bad deal for $5.00 entry. 2+ hours of entertainment.

coachmkc
Riding the Bench

Post by coachmkc »

As much as you may think it is about me, I can assure you it is not. As for my record as a coach.
School 1
04-05 12-10
05-06 12-9
06-07 16-5
07-08 11-11
08-09 Off (I am not a teacher nor do i work in a school district, I could no longer balance time with work and coaching).
School 2
09-10 17-3
School 3
10-11 3-17
11-12 3-16
12-13 4-20
13-14 3-19

And I will be the first to admit the last 4 years I coached were a complete disaster. 81-110 would be my record. That is why i knew it was time to step away.

I do agree that there are a lot of administrators that have been coaches, been successful, and relate well to the students. As for this situation, he was not my principal, it is his first year there. I don't know much about his coaching background. But to me, as soon as he came into the locker room at halftime, the coach lost his team. In the long run, I hope it does get turned around. The programs both boys and girls have had little success in recent years.

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

maybe he was ask

hillsborohotshots
Waterboy

Post by hillsborohotshots »

Tough situation

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Any updates?

coachmkc
Riding the Bench

Post by coachmkc »

Girl's Varsity Coach was suspended/let go on Saturday morning for an incident that occurred between himself and another coach (Jr High Coach). The Jr High Coach went to a board member and told her story. The Varsity Coach was told he was no longer coaching the team. The JV Coach would finish the season. They lost Saturday and Monday. Board was scheduled to have a special meeting tonight. It was cancelled yesterday, and supposedly they (the board or an administrator) met with the Varsity Coach, apologized to him, and he would finish out the year. I did speak with him for a few minutes, and what he told the Superintendent, "as long as you let a certain set of parents continue to control everything, this will continue".

I agree with him.

Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

Those darn controlling parents.

coachmkc
Riding the Bench

Post by coachmkc »

Gopher wrote:Those darn controlling parents.
Sometimes it is. Sometimes it isn't. There is a difference between controlling, supportive, and disruptive. Usually a mix of all 3.

Return to “Girls Basketball”