Why is SVC volleyball so much better than SVC Girls Basketball

Farmer Jim
Waterboy

Why is SVC volleyball so much better than SVC Girls Basketball

Post by Farmer Jim »

You could take any of the top 5 or 6 teams in the SVC and put them in any other conference in southeast Ohio and they would win the conference. In basketball, though, the SVC never does anything in the tournament. Why is that?

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Re: Why is SVC volleyball so much better than SVC Girls Basketball

Post by warningtrackpower »

Great topic - this has come to us at the website and we are talking about this on the upcoming show (on www.svcsportszone.com on Monday night)

First, fair comment...second, for the longest time basketball was right there with volleyball.

A lot of factors to talk about - AAU vs. club, little league opinions, volleyball easier to play therefore girls like it more

Love to read some feedback that we can include in our show - THANKS

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

SOVC is unbelievablely well ran and coached from the time the girls start in there travel volleyball ages that once they get the HS, they are prepared to play against the best. The schools are able to lose 3-4 year starters in Volleyball and replace them with girls that could play at most schools around the state that have been on JV for 2 or more years. It's kinda remarkable to be honest.

Travel basketball doesn't have a central, well ran organization like SOVC and the coaching isn't nearly as good because AAU basketball tends more towards a daddy-ball culture, while SOVC is coached by former players from their system.

I believe we have some really good HS basketball coaches in the SVC, so I don't think that factors in.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

And I agree that basketball used to be really good as well. I know Adena won a state title in basketball in 94...without winning the league. Huntington (02-03) and Unioto (94-95) reached the Final Four without winning the league as well.

Now, I feel like there is still individual talent but it is more spread out and much less depth around the league then there has been in the past. It will be back, but I'm not sure volleyball will have a drop off like basketball has.

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Well said . . . the other factor in this is the surrounding area. A lot of solid basketball teams in other conferences around the area, and if I am honest, volleyball is average at best (and that is being kind) when you look at other conferences (especially middle to bottom of those leagues).

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

No doubt that volleyball in the SVC is the best this part of the state has to offer. Just like Danicalifornia said, volleyball starts at a high level there at a very young age. It seems like most teams in the SVC can replace starters year after year without skipping a beat. There are a lot of talented basketball players, many play volleyball. But, I think they choose to focus more on volleyball than basketball.

The Great Pumpkin
Waterboy

Post by The Great Pumpkin »

:D
Last edited by The Great Pumpkin on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Here's something no one has touched on. Some of the other conferences and schools in the area have had great athletes that didn't play volleyball. Look at Oak Hill. Several tremendous athletes over the last couple of decades that played basketball but not volleyball. Their basketball team excels and their volleyball team struggles year after year. South Wester is going to have a fantastic girls basketball team this year. Several of those athletic basketball players don't play volleyball. Their volleyball team was average.

Perhaps just the opposite in the SVC recently? They seem to pride themselves at their volleyball success and rightly so. Over the last 10 or 15 years Adena has had some great athletes that decided to play volleyball but not basketball. They've had a few good basketball teams but generally they struggle or are average.

As the staying goes, "You got'a have the horses to win".

As far as coaching. Contrary to what some parents and fans think, as long as the coach is competent, they're not going to make that much of a difference. And all of the SVC basketball coaches are very competent. You win with athletes.

warningtrackpower
All Conference

On the show, this topic starts at 30:52 - just click, push play and FF to listen . . .

http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... talk110915

The Great Pumpkin
Waterboy

Post by The Great Pumpkin »

toast wrote: As far as coaching. Contrary to what some parents and fans think, as long as the coach is competent, they're not going to make that much of a difference. And all of the SVC basketball coaches are very competent. You win with athletes.
This is where we disagree. Not all the coaches in the SVC are competent. Most are, but not all.

Titan
Waterboy

Post by Titan »

Sounds like great pumpkin needs to coach

Joe Buckeye
Waterboy

Post by Joe Buckeye »

I've always agreed with toast about coaching. As long as you have a competent coach I don't think it makes much difference. I watched several of the SVC teams play at Paint Valley, though, and I was disappointed in the lack of adjustments being made by some of the coaches. Not saying they are not competent, but it was disappointing.

Return to “Girls Basketball”