Seperate Private and Public athletics

stacey7722
Freshman Team

Seperate Private and Public athletics

Post by stacey7722 »

Follow me on twitter at pappabear7722, Retweet my comments or comment yourself if you believe it is time to separate public and private athletics. Make it fair. Local schools cannot complete against hand picked all star team. These schools recruit the best players and build teams from anywhere they can get them. We pack the gyms during the tournaments and make them the money and they allow the private schools to win the championships. Its time to separate the public and private. If they want to recruit and bring in all star teams they need to play each other. The OHSAA knows the problem but does not care. Make it fair.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Seperate Private and Public athletics

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Not all private schools recruit.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Not all Private Schools are winning championships. If you think recruiting doesn't happen at Public schools I got a bridge to sell you.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Quit crying you baby.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Your still going to have to deal with big city public all star teams, so might as well leave it like it is.Africentric is public and one poster on here said he saw the girls was from all over the place.Wayne High School somehow got a star QB transfer this past year from Trotwood without sitting any games leading them to the State Championship game and that's probably just the tip of the iceberg,but you're right about one thing the OHSAA does not care.They probably know a lot of publics are doing it too so they just let it go. It even happens in small towns, a few years ago I heard a some star athletes from Jamestown were going to play for Massie when they won the Championship.It happens people just don't hear about it as much.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

It's all debatable, but will agree, OHSAA should pay more attention to this.

Bucks
Waterboy

Post by Bucks »

Waterford and johnglenn are not private schools

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I wonder what the breakdown was in the Regionals? It feels to me that you keep seeing Public Schools playing against AAU teams.

Do some Public's recruit? Yes. I don't see that as an excuse to do nothing.

I'd make every private and parochial play in the Division they draw from----If you have a Division IV school playing kids from multiple schools districts then add those up and put them in that Division.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Div. 1 state tournament was all public this year and after the game one of the South players admitted a couple players came over from North.It was a great game to watch.Only one private made the regional finals in D1 and only two made it from all four regions.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

cbolt wrote:Div. 1 state tournament was all public this year and after the game one of the South players admitted a couple players came over from North.It was a great game to watch.Only one private made the regional finals in D1 and only two made it from all four regions.
Yeah, you weren't the only one to hear it. Along the line of "We had this planned out since the beginning of freshman year, then a couple guys that were s'posed to go to North came to South". Believe it was A. Wesson.

This year's Mr. Basketball was a transfer from a private school to a public school.

Pickerington Central (the school formerly known as "Pickerington HS") is another public with a notorious reputation for latent recruiting.

As someone said on the MSL forum, the crux in HS sports isn't public v private — it's that players can easily transfer from school A to school B with minimal or no consequence.

The publics wholesale has no incentive to separate from the private schools. Regardless if it's just for tournament purposes, there are many leagues that have public and private schools and many of them have been long-standing. The other corner is that, when looking at New Jersey and Maryland's HS sports, the elite talent will matriculate to the private schools because their courting school will a) be unbounded by recruiting bylaws (in o/w "open season on recruiting", and b) there will be fewer opportunities for public school athletes (except for areas generally devoid of private schools, a la southern Ohio [save Lawrence & Scioto Co's]) to get competitive college recruiting opportunities, which means less presence and visibility from college scouts & appeal from average joes.

The point about great public talent leaving in the case of unbounded private schools may not necessarily be applicable in extremely rural and separated areas, but it is definitely for NE Ohio, Toledo, Dayton, SW Ohio, and probably several Columbus schools.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Teams that win state never use home grown talent, those teams lose in the district or regionals.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Bingo you nailed it raider! Somebody will probably bring up the MAC teams,but do we know for sure they are all from the same home district ?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The MAC plays against a lower quality of talent. Most D1 athletes play D1-D3. The MAC plays very good football but the size and speed disparity is very big.

Onthefence
Freshman Team

Post by Onthefence »

The bottom line is people want to win. And if they can't win at there school they go somewhere else. Here in scioto county kids have transferred to wheelersburg for decades. Why ? Because the athletes or there parents or both want to win. And its not just high school. Many parents send their kids starting in elementary school. The only school that I can think of that won a state title with "homegrown talent" is Eastern Meigs. They are down the next year and are rebuilding. The laws of average dictate that no program can win every year. I guess what I'm trying to say is that any team that wins past the district more than a few years in a row must be getting talent from outside their district. Unless they are putting something in the water. Just how I see it sittin here on the fence.

Onthefence
Freshman Team

Post by Onthefence »

Hunington prep is a good example. They recruit from all over the world. But they don't partisapate in the wv state tournament. Hunington st joe recruits all over the tri state and do play in the smallest wv state tournament.

H2O4RD
Freshman Team

Post by H2O4RD »

Waterford is homegrown.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Africentric is very tough to compete with, but even other private schools in their divisions are not competing with them. They are an outlier and the rules are not going to change because of them.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Onthefence wrote:The only school that I can think of that won a state title with "homegrown talent" is Eastern Meigs. .
Not correct

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

The schools vote on this, and the public schools have overwhelmingly rejected the separation. So public schools have no one to blame but themselves.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/01/30/le ... ee-agency/

This will soon happen here in Ohio, and the only losers will be small public rural districts with not a lot of talent around them allowing them to build championship caliber teams.

This isnt public versus private, it is small schools in large metro areas that can easily attract D I talent while playing in D IV and D III.

Return to “Girls Basketball”