Article about Ridgewood win over Lynchburg clay!!! Good info for Ironton

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Article about Ridgewood win over Lynchburg clay!!! Good info for Ironton

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

LC came out @ half & applied stronger half court pressure, & cut the lead from 11 points to 1 point. IHS can apply stronger/ usual full court pressure. Sorry, playing coach here. WLR is on a roll & peaking & I would love to see IHS get revenge over final four loss years ago when I was a junior! I'm sure the coaches have it covered, just wanted to share!

Ridgewood earns regional final berth
Cameron Teague Robinson, Reporter
Updated 1d ago
00:54
LOGAN - Ridgewood girls coach Doug Patterson went to the Coshocton vs. Hiland district semifinal game Tuesday, where a old friend told him that when balls start bouncing on shoulders and going right to your players' hands, it's meant to be.

Patterson's friend was speaking of Saturday's Ridgewood vs. Garaway district final.

To end the first half Wednesday night, Morgan McDorman missed the second of two free throws, beat everybody to the rebound and scored, giving Ridgewood a double-digit lead at the break. To end the third quarter, a Ridgewood turnover led to two Lynchburg-Clay players falling over each other and an easy layup for Eliza Haynes. And Kaitlyn Finton hit a reverse layup that she hasn't made all season in the fourth.

It almost seemed like it was meant to be.

All of that led to a 74-54 Ridgewood win.

"It's amazing. For six girls to play 32 minutes, it's crazy," Patterson said.

The Generals dream run to the regional final looked cloudy early in the second quarter. Junior Autumn Brown had two fouls, and Audrey Tingle had just picked up her third.

Eliza Haynes came to the scorer's table to take Tingle, the Generals' leading scorer, out of the game, but there was no stoppage in play. A minute went by, and Haynes subbed in for Erinn Buchanan instead.

Patterson's assistant coaches told him to leave Tingle in.

"The coaches said, 'You can't take her out.' I listened to them. I don't always listen to them, but Audrey (Tingle) is so smart," Patterson said.

"I was very worried. At one point, I thought they were going to call the fourth one on me," Tingle said. "I was really freaking out."

She stayed in, and the Generals ended the half on a 16-5 run. They had 10 turnovers and were in foul trouble, yet they led 35-24. How? The Generals were shooting 13 for 25 from the field. Any time the Mustangs made a dent in the lead, the Generals answered.

"It just seemed like every time it went up it was going in," Patterson said.

In the third quarter, though, Lynchburg-Clay came out of the break with more energy in the half-court press. The Mustangs cut the Generals' lead to 41-40 with 3:53 left in the third quarter.

"I think it was the pressure. We didn't really see that much pressure in the first half, but to see them come out with that much in the second half, it just shook us up."

Then Tingle, still with three fouls, scored six consecutive points, and the Generals regained control of the game. Autumn Brown hit a three to give Ridgewood a 10-point lead, the Mustangs answered back, and Haynes scored again, pushing the Generals' margin to ten points once again. Haynes followed that with an open layup to end the quarter with the Generals up 56-42 going into the fourth.

The fourth quarter was never really a contest. Finton was hitting threes from 24 feet out; McDorman, the second senior, converted her free throws; and the Generals' improbable yet well-deserved run continued.

They will play Ironton in the regional finals at 1:30 p.m. Saturday at Logan High School.

cteaguerob@gannett.com

740-295-3442

Twitter: @cj_teague

Stat book

Ridgewood 15-20-21-18 — 74

Lynchburg-Clay 13-11-18-12 — 54

Ridgewood: 27-54 FG, 13-19 FT, 7-12 3pt. (Tingle 4) 33 rebounds (McDormna 7), 18 turnovers, 21 Assists (Tingle 10), Steals 8 (Tingle 3). Scoring: Tingle 8 7-8 27, Finton 10 3-4 24, McDorman 3 3-7 10, Haynes 3 0-0 6, Brown 2 0-0 5, Buchanan 1 0-0 2

Lynchburg-Clay: 21-46 FG, 10-15 FT, 2-10 19 rebounds (Little 6), 13 turnovers, Steals 15 (Scott 5). Scoring: McKayla Binkley 7 4-7 20, Scott 5 2-2 12, Little 5 0-0 10, Hannah Binkley 3 2-2 8, Waits 1 1-2 3, Thiel 0 1-2 1.

Hoop Wizard
Waterboy

Re: Article about Ridgewood win over Lynchburg clay!!! Good info for Ironton

Post by Hoop Wizard »

RW had 33 rebounds to LC's 19. RW had 21 assists. That tells me they move the ball and rebound well. They seem to be peaking at the right time. In all tourney runs to get to the state it seems somewhere along the way you need to win a game where you play bad- Have a few lucky bounces- play through foul trouble- have a good 8 player rotation- and have a stud that can carry you and get you the tough points. Both of these teams fit this criteria and it has all the makings of a great game. I'm pulling for The Tigers and Coach Graham- good luck from a Pointer fan and OVC country! Do us proud!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

the lady fighting tigers can get er done.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

they're all all star teams from here on.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Hoop Wizard wrote:RW had 33 rebounds to LC's 19. RW had 21 assists. That tells me they move the ball and rebound well. They seem to be peaking at the right time. In all tourney runs to get to the state it seems somewhere along the way you need to win a game where you play bad- Have a few lucky bounces- play through foul trouble- have a good 8 player rotation- and have a stud that can carry you and get you the tough points. Both of these teams fit this criteria and it has all the makings of a great game. I'm pulling for The Tigers and Coach Graham- good luck from a Pointer fan and OVC country! Do us proud!
I noticed those stats too & also researched to the same results, that prior to Ironton's last 2games, their opponents had similar stats, a solid 3-pointer, or taller team, but IHS was able to stop that & that was a direct result from the full court pressure & how it affected the turnovers & steals.

Ironton had a tighter game with Alexander because they were able to break the full court pressure a bit. They also know IHS from a previous battle where Ironton's coach said everything feel IHS's Way & Alexander had no breaks. What he said about the talentv@ Alexander came to pass. Also, Alexander's head coach was from Ironton's coaching staff when these seniors were frosh, so they had a great schematics for the Re-Match!
IHS still pulled out the "W" with their tightest game to date.

I think WLR will bring their all & hope for similar breaks as the COSHOCTON newspaper article described. They've been getting breaks all tourney, yet struggled towards regular season end. My hunch is... They are just good & peaking now & getting breaks. They cannot be left open for treys.

Ironton will have to be successful with the pressure, stopping Tingle,& rebounding. Also, some 3's need to happen & a higher success rate @ the foul line for IHS! I don't want to name anyone, as I know they are doing their best. As a team, They seem to struggle there. One or two other players will need to step up as barrier will be triple teamed & the ball will have to swoosh the nets @ a high percentage!!!
It's going to be a challenge & one I cannot wait to listen to!
GOTIGERSGO!

Return to “Girls Basketball”