Convo

notredamemom
Waterboy

Convo

Post by notredamemom »

Why doesn't any of the girls teams play in the convo?

JustPlayBasketball12
Riding the Bench

Re: Convo

Post by JustPlayBasketball12 »

Maybe attendance. I know back in 2011(not sure on year maybe 2010) they had the district finals at the convo, so maybe that was a trail run. If they had div 3 and 4 all on the same days then maybe it could happen but I think attendance may be the issue.

notredamemom
Waterboy

Post by notredamemom »

Could be, they could definitely do regionals there with D2,D3, AND D4 all day.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Probably has a lot to do with attendance.

A district championship game with 700-1,000 people in a high school gym is a good atmosphere. 700-1,000 in the Convo is nothing.

They also tried to play volleyball regionals at the Convo about four years ago, and the atmosphere was terrible with 500-700 people there.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

Other issues:

1. Dates- With Ohio U. possibly hosting 1st Round MAC Tournament games for their Men's and Women's teams, it can make it difficult to have enough dates.

2. Cost- Cost to rent the Convo is much greater than the cost HS sites, even if they were to host all 3 divisions there.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

socfan wrote:Other issues:

1. Dates- With Ohio U. possibly hosting 1st Round MAC Tournament games for their Men's and Women's teams, it can make it difficult to have enough dates.

2. Cost- Cost to rent the Convo is much greater than the cost HS sites, even if they were to host all 3 divisions there.

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with cost, and everything to do with not enough available dates at the Convocation Center the last couple of years.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Cost ABSOLUTELY has a role in it. If you don't think money and cost has a say in the availability of a D1 arena, well, you're drastically mistaken.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

bbjunky81 wrote:Cost ABSOLUTELY has a role in it. If you don't think money and cost has a say in the availability of a D1 arena, well, you're drastically mistaken.
I agree here, you don't just rent a gym. You pay for the maintenance, upkeep, announcers, scorers, and other employees that are often volunteers or paid custodians already working at the high school. I agree, cost has a big part of it all, always does.

Attendance suffers at girls sports, I believe a state regional game might pull enough fans, but districts would feel like a ghost town.

Now if OU would pull out the court side bleachers that would make it feel a lot better in my opinion, this is the one thing I hate about going to watch games.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

I can for a fact tell you it's NOT financial, and in fact the last year the Girls were at the convo they out grossed and netted the DIV Boys tournament, it's all about having available dates to work with. Mainly a completely free Back to back weekends at the Convo free of OHIO University events. Over the past 10 years that has happened 5 times and each of those times the Girls District and or Regionals were held there.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Pol pot wrote:I can for a fact tell you it's NOT financial, and in fact the last year the Girls were at the convo they out grossed and netted the DIV Boys tournament, it's all about having available dates to work with. Mainly a completely free Back to back weekends at the Convo free of OHIO University events. Over the past 10 years that has happened 5 times and each of those times the Girls District and or Regionals were held there.
I know folks will argue about finances all day, but the availability of the Convo is just as big, if not bigger. If the Convo isn't available, you can't play there. A lot of dates are taken by the boys tournament.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Me thinks pol pot knows more than the rest of us about this

notredamemom
Waterboy

Post by notredamemom »

Pol Pot that makes a lot of sense.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

me thinks so too ironman

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Why would you want to play there, it sucks. Much better at high school gyms

Return to “Girls Basketball”