Belpre Girls

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Belpre Girls

Post by 93Bulldog »

thebarlowbandit wrote:This is exactly what I am speaking of, everyone here says that they have good talent, are a good team, but yet it's a 10 loss basketball team, and I'll give you 2 guaranteed losses to Waterford, but that leave 8 other losses, and Eastern is NOT near what Eastern has been. If as everyone says the talent is so good (and it was better last year) then where is the results, and why are the results not measuring up to the talent of those fine young people.
Who did Belpre lose to that you think had less talent?

They lost @ Waterford, Eastern, at Southern, at Parkersburg, at Grafton, Fairland, Waterford, at Eastern, at River Valley 52-51.

Belpre was a (13-9) basketball team, and I personally did not think they were the favorite against any of the teams listed above going in (maybe River Valley) - and I've seen them all except Grafton & Parkersburg.
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

ArmChairQB wrote:
js7_22 wrote:
east41 wrote:Well I'll tell you Belpre girls had this one. They came out very strong and had ND on the ropes and the coach was out coached tonight. Never seen this team before but they look good. I like the way number 11 and 14 plays the have a great chance to be coming really good ball players. Also I'm not saying that the other players don't but with a little individual instructional training they will be good as well. How young are they!!!!!!
Had what? There are 4 quarters of basketball if you forgot. Notre Dame needed to settle their nerves and get going. They could have beat this Belpre team by 40+ if they didn't call off the dogs the entire 4th quarter. Next matchup vs Waterford will be the true test.
ND will be the 2nd best team Waterford has played this year. That being said I look for Waterford to win this game by 15-20 points!
Nelsonville-York and Alexander and Fort Frye would beg the differ.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

93Bulldog wrote:
thebarlowbandit wrote:This is exactly what I am speaking of, everyone here says that they have good talent, are a good team, but yet it's a 10 loss basketball team, and I'll give you 2 guaranteed losses to Waterford, but that leave 8 other losses, and Eastern is NOT near what Eastern has been. If as everyone says the talent is so good (and it was better last year) then where is the results, and why are the results not measuring up to the talent of those fine young people.
Who did Belpre lose to that you think had less talent?

They lost @ Waterford, Eastern, at Southern, at Parkersburg, at Grafton, Fairland, Waterford, at Eastern, at River Valley 52-51.

Belpre was a (13-9) basketball team, and I personally did not think they were the favorite against any of the teams listed above going in (maybe River Valley) - and I've seen them all except Grafton & Parkersburg.

Well then, I guess we should give the coach a trophy for having the best 10 loss team in the State of Ohio.

No one is knocking the kids here or the talent, just the fact they are not getting an opportunity to be successful. River Valley? River Valley lost to Athens, Gallia beat Fairland, and I'm sorry, I don't get overly excited about WV hoops teams, as we usually compete with the best they have to offer. And look how many of those games they got pounded, and a better indication is look at the second half, did they get better?

The good news is they can now break out the softball bats, a sport they are much better at and are given a chance each time out IMO.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

How many Belpre games did you go to Barlow? Just curious. Sounds to me like you don't like coach Murray for some reason. I've watched a handful or more and think the guy does a pretty good job. I don't care if Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich or Bob Knight coached this Belpre team, they still go (13-9) - maybe (14-8). But Belpre is not the Lakers, Spurs or Indiana Hoosiers. They are a small DIV girls basketball team in Belpre Ohio - and coach Murray is a helluva lot better than some history teacher just filling in to do the job or some dad who wants to coach his little girl for a few years.

People crack me up sometimes. Not every school/team is blessed with the talent Waterford & Eastern produce year in and year out. Not every coach can be Howie Caldwell or Blain Maddox. Just be happy if you happen to have a pretty decent coach who isn't there to collect a few dollars for sitting on a bench.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Well, I've watched him at my alma-mater under achieve with some of the best talent they've had, then I watched about every game he sat on the bench at Warren, and ive seen 4 of their games this past season, I take in a lot more of those games than you'd think.

And I notice 93, you don't have one comment to make about any other observations on this thread about underachieving with the talent they have. Wonder why?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

thebarlowbandit wrote:And I notice 93, you don't have one comment to make about any other observations on this thread about underachieving with the talent they have. Wonder why?
Because that's all the thread is ... lol ... You started the topic by throwing coach Murray under the bus - and then continued throughout.

I'll gladly make a comment about any observations - just steer me in the right direction. All I've seen thus far is how the Belpre girls should be better, blah, blah, blah ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

93Bulldog wrote:
ArmChairQB wrote:
js7_22 wrote:
Had what? There are 4 quarters of basketball if you forgot. Notre Dame needed to settle their nerves and get going. They could have beat this Belpre team by 40+ if they didn't call off the dogs the entire 4th quarter. Next matchup vs Waterford will be the true test.
ND will be the 2nd best team Waterford has played this year. That being said I look for Waterford to win this game by 15-20 points!
Nelsonville-York and Alexander and Fort Frye would beg the differ.
Here is a comment I made earlier that's different, Barlow

Just sayin

:mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

93Bulldog wrote:Well, I've seen teams like Notre Dame and Clay come to Jackson with sterling 2 loss records, and then get beat by 40 by TVC-Hocking teams.

So we'll see what happens Thursday ...

Good luck Belpre!
here is another ...

thebarlowbandit
All State

93Bulldog wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:Well, I've seen teams like Notre Dame and Clay come to Jackson with sterling 2 loss records, and then get beat by 40 by TVC-Hocking teams.

So we'll see what happens Thursday ...

Good luck Belpre!
here is another ...

Well in the case of this post, that definitely wasn't true on this night, because from reports from people there the coach failed to make any adjustments (coaching), and they got drilled.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The only adjustment needed was for ND to get the ball inside to one of their three 6-footers and the game would be over.

And that's what happened.

if Belpre played ND 10 times with any coach in the world - it would be tough for the Golden Eagles to win one of them.

thebarlowbandit
All State

93Bulldog wrote:The only adjustment needed was for ND to get the ball inside to one of their three 6-footers and the game would be over.

if Belpre played ND 10 times with any coach in the world - it would be tough for the Golden Eagles to win one of them.

So you are going to tell me that if Howie had those kids they'd have no chance to beat ND? If Jerry had them they'd be no better? If Burdette had them they be 100% losers in this matchup 10 of 10 times?

notredamemom
Waterboy

Post by notredamemom »

Give this a rest. In the TVC thread eastern fans wanted their coach gone. I was at the game we had more talent for what it's worth the Belpre team played hard, I thought our girls did a good job of coming out and attacking with our posts.

zoomer
Waterboy

Post by zoomer »

I watched ND play Belpre, and I believe their transition game and speed was probably more of a factor than their size inside, not to mention after the first quarter Belpre rarely entered the paint and didnt get too many rebounds.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

thebarlowbandit wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:The only adjustment needed was for ND to get the ball inside to one of their three 6-footers and the game would be over.

So you are going to tell me that if Howie had those kids they'd have no chance to beat ND? If Jerry had them they'd be no better? If Burdette had them they be 100% losers in this matchup 10 of 10 times?
Talent wins 99.9% of the time. Howie Jerry and Burdette are all proof of this.

thebarlowbandit
All State

zoomer wrote:I watched ND play Belpre, and I believe their transition game and speed was probably more of a factor than their size inside, not to mention after the first quarter Belpre rarely entered the paint and didnt get too many rebounds.

Transition game is coaching, it's consistent work on the scheme, fundamentals and spacing. And the scheme of not attacking the paint is coaching as well. And the defensive scheme was non existent

Bazinga!
Riding the Bench

Post by Bazinga! »

TVC wrote:
thebarlowbandit wrote:

Talent wins 99.9% of the time. Howie Jerry and Burdette are all proof of this.
This comment contradicts itself. There isn't just some surplus of talent at these small schools that Belpre or Warren or Marietta doesn't ever have. Coaching makes a huge difference. These coaches have success because they are great coaches. You or I can't coach these teams to state. The talent has to be there but it also has to be developed correctly. Every school has girls with talent. Some more talented than others I agree but you have to have a coach that knows what to do with that talent. And kudos to the Belpre coach for the job he's done. He may not be these guys yet but he could have done a much worse job than he did. It's a step in the right direction. As far as the ND game goes and I wasn't there. Any coach can get out coached one game or make mistakes that can cost his team but that doesn't make him a bad coach. Means he made mistakes. Coach K costs Duke games every once in a while by having a bad game plan or not making the correct adjustments. As long as it's every once in a while I'd say you've got the right man for the job

fanofsports
Waterboy

Post by fanofsports »

Bandit,
Were you at the game? If you were there, then you would know that Belpre did try to go to the paint... But when you have girls that are 5'5 trying to shoot over top of three players that are 6'0+, it's not going to work. Belpre is usually pretty good at the outside shot, but they couldn't buy a basket Thursday. Is that the coach's fault? No, it is not. From all of your negative posts, it appears you have a personal grudge against Coach Murray for whatever reason. Give it a break and move on. He does an excellent job with the program.

Congrats to Notre Dame on the win and good luck in your remaining tourney games. You have a good team with some great athletes.

Return to “Girls Basketball”