Riding the Bench

Re: Alexander 08-09

Post by i8al »

what would you know Trimblebookworm?

trimblebookworm
Riding the Bench

Post by trimblebookworm »

i was there 2 years ago when he lead the spartans all the way to state final four and i followed the team last year during their tournament run when the upset teams with more talent than they had. so me of this success has to be attrbuted to the coaching staff right??

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

Seems the first two years of most high school sports a player will sit out more then play so the older girls get to play. That might have been the case with this situation. You should come back for this year and give it a try. Don't be a quitter....that is not you Kathy will be missed. Hope she changes her mind. Great kid. Good player.

Joedirt
Freshman Team

Post by Joedirt »

One player,if I remember doesn't make a team.They have other girl's who will step up.So I see no reason to worry. ;-) Go luck to the ladie's this year.

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

i8al wrote:Alexander will be lucky to win 10 games without the outstanding shooting of kathy kasler...Thanks Coach guthrie for the loss of one heck of a player

So what did the coach do that this girl is not playing? He seems strict but seems to know what he is doing as far as getting what is expected out of the girls on his team. I have seen him sit out varsity player and let jv players play after they had just finished up their game. Seems unfair to the varsity players but he must have a reason for doing what he does. They seem to have a pretty solid program out there. Just wondering what could have went so wrong that a girl is not returning if she is so good. Maybe her heart is not in the game.

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

JUSTAFAN89 wrote:One player,if I remember doesn't make a team.They have other girl's who will step up.So I see no reason to worry. ;-) Go luck to the ladie's this year.

I agree with you JUSTAFAN89.....The other ladies will step up. They are hard workers and love the sport. They hate to lose and will leave it all on the floor as they have always done. I am sure the spartans will be fine this year and will once again surprise those who doubt them. Go Lady Spartans.

i8al
Riding the Bench

Post by i8al »

How are you supposed to have heart when you have no confidence?

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

Was she told she was not a good player? She should believe in herself if she loves the game. Maybe, if she was told something of the nature that she wasn't good enough, that was just a push to make her work a little hard. I don't know, but I know that some people take different measure to get the best out of their players. Hate to hear of a kid giving up on a sport. Has she played basketball long? What grade is she in? Does she handle pressure well? Find the confidence and go for it again. Give it another try. High school is over with before you know it. Enjoy every minute of it.....

i8al
Riding the Bench

Post by i8al »

When a coach does not play you, doesnt that make you feel as if your not a good player?
anyways, have the Spartans been doing much open gyms or camps?

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

[quote="i8al"]When a coach does not play you, doesnt that make you feel as if your not a good player?
anyways, have the Spartans been doing much open gyms or camps?[/quote

First 2 years of playing b-ball our daughter got little playing time. Last year was a different story. Open gyms started on Monday of this week and will be every Monday and Wednesday until conditioning start in mid Oct. What hurts us is the girls that also play volleyball. They are not allowed to come to open gyms because of their v-ball coach. We always get a late start on b-ball every year. Summer time was filled with Volleyball team traveling to two different places so there was not many that participated in the summer stuff for b-ball. These kids love the game and they are winners. They will work hard! It's her choice but would love to see her give it one more shot this year or at least start out with the girls and see what happens. Stinks to be in the underclass sometimes. It all pays off in a couple years though. If you look at college sports, they are the same way. Unless you are and outstanding player you will sit most of the time your first couple years then you have a chance to shine the last 2. Not sure why, seems like a waste of the first two years but it does happen. Coach is a great man and he loves the kids. It is hard to go from a starter at junior high level to sitting the first couple years your high school years. You have to think, you are playing with 4 other age groups when you reach high school. Hope she makes the right choice for her.

sprt4life
Waterboy

Post by sprt4life »

i8al wrote:Alexander will be lucky to win 10 games without the outstanding shooting of kathy kasler...Thanks Coach guthrie for the loss of one heck of a player

I am sooo glad to hear someone say that. he played HIS daughter over this very talented player. the girl could shoot and bring the ball up the court. but sat on the end of the bench all season. THANKS coach. for ruining good talent!

and good luck to the Spartens this year!

sprt4life
Waterboy

Post by sprt4life »

trimblebookworm wrote:coach guthrie is THE best girls coach in the state...he would never do something like that

bookworm ive seen where you go back and forth on everything on here.
he is a good coach. but very family oriented.

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

sprt4life wrote:

I am sooo glad to hear someone say that. he played HIS daughter over this very talented player. the girl could shoot and bring the ball up the court. but sat on the end of the bench all season. THANKS coach. for ruining good talent!

and good luck to the Spartens this year!

Just wondering.....If this girl didn't play last year much, why would it affect the team this year? Sounds like she wasn't a part of the team last year with what you are saying so why make a stink over her not playing this year. I have a hard time thinking that this coach is that much of a problem. Seems that he knows how to lead a team to some great achievements over the last few years. Maybe its just the girl who can't handle not being a leader. Give this coach a break...

trimblebookworm
Riding the Bench

Post by trimblebookworm »

she didnt play as much as she should have but when she was in the game she always made an impact

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

Alexander will be lucky to win 10 games without the outstanding shooting of kathy kasler...Thanks Coach guthrie for the loss of one heck of a player

Let me just say if this girl gives up because she in not a "team" player he has lost nothing.

Fans do not always know what goes on behind closed doors and at practice and a lot of parents think there children are better then they really are! Besides those of us who coach know you can give a girl all the skills that they need but confidence comes from within, you can tell them they have what it takes but if THEY don't believe it there is nothing more you can do.

Sometimes a good player’s job is just to keep their mouths shut, watch and learn when called upon do their job. Coach Guthrie and all his players know that there can only be 5 players on the court at a time, for those who do not start it is a chance to learn, but when he calls you up you had better be ready to produce, there are NO favorites on this team and NEVER will be.

A lot of you I have no idea who you are but if you are accusing Coach of playing someone out of favoritism all I have to say is shame on you... he has spent alot of time and effort on all these girls and you can bet he is much harder on his own child then he is yours! You should be greatful that your children have a coach like him! He is passionate about the sport and is eager to impart his knowledge onto his team.

Good Luck Spartans......

Joedirt
Freshman Team

Post by Joedirt »

Maybe this young ladie got burned out playing basketball,happens.Why cry foul at the coach,there may be other issues that know one knows about.Sometimes it would be best to take time off to rethink of whether you want to continue to play ball.Only this young ladie know's.The girls v-ball,basketball progam has become the top dogs at Alex past couple of years because of a good crop of girls and coaches year in year out, so I dont think 1 will make a big difference. 8)

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

I will have to agree with you that this young lady may have decided to just take some time off. Sometimes kids get burnt out on playing sports or they finally get up enough courage to tell their parents(who push them to play) that they are ready to take some time off. Not all kids play because they want. Some are pushed by a parent who wishes they had played sports and want to live their dream through their child. Wrong reason to be playing......

akwhitewater hit the nail on the head when they talked about your job on a team may be to watch and learn but always be ready if the coach calls on you. Many player who sit, are busy watching the student section or complaining that they are not playing and then when they are called upon to go in the game, they have NO CLUE what they are doing. That just goes to show that those who love the sport will give their all even if it is cheering on your team mate who are on the floor. You might be shocked at how much those kids are listening to those sitting on the bench yelling out plays or telling them to watch for a screen, or someone coming up behind them. TEAM PLAYERS will be there until the end. Good luck to the lady spartans. You will be fine this year because those of you who are still playing will LEAVE IT ALL ON THE FLOOR every game you play........

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

Alexander Varsity Basketball (Girls)
2008−2009
Day Date Opponent Place Time
Saturday Nov. 29 Logan Elm High School Alexander High School 3:00PM
Saturday Dec. 06 @ Waterford High School Waterford High School 7:30PM
Monday Dec. 08 @ Meigs High School Meigs High School 7:30PM
Thursday Dec. 11 Belpre High School Alexander High School 7:30PM
Saturday Dec. 13 Hoops vs Riverview Convo 10:45AM
Monday Dec. 15 @ Wellston High School Wellston High School 7:30PM
Thursday Dec. 18 Athens High School Alexander High School 8:00PM
Saturday Dec. 27 @ Capital City Classic AlaskaTBA
Monday Dec. 29 @ Capital City Classic Alaska TBA
Tuesday Dec. 30 @ Capital City Classic AlaskaTBA

Saturday Jan. 10 @ Federal−Hocking High School Federal−Hocking High School 5:00PM
Monday Jan. 12 Vinton County High School Alexander High School 7:30PM
Thursday Jan. 15 @ Nelsonville−York High Sch Nelsonville−York High Sch 7:30PM
Thursday Jan. 22 Meigs High School Alexander High School 7:30PM
Saturday Jan. 24 @ Minford High School Minford High School 2:30PM
Monday Jan. 26 @ Belpre High School Belpre High School 7:30PM
Thursday Jan. 29 Wellston High School Alexander High School 7:30PM
Monday Feb. 02 @ Athens High School Athens High School 8:00PM
Monday Feb. 09 @ Vinton County High School Vinton County High School 7:30PM
Thursday Feb. 12 Nelsonville−York High Sch Alexander High School 7:30PM

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

Admar: Thanks so much for the schedule. I can't wait to see the girls in Alaska. Go Ohio !!! It will be tougher then you think ! Australia has a decent team and Juneau Douglas is no laughing matter. But WOW what an experience. Only wish you could see more of Alaska. Juneau is so so...In my opinion :12222

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

[quote="akwhitewater"]Admar: Thanks so much for the schedule. I can't wait to see the girls in Alaska. Go Ohio !!! It will be tougher then you think ! Australia has a decent team and Juneau Douglas is no laughing matter. But WOW what an experience. Only wish you could see more of Alaska. Juneau is so so...In my opinion

Your very welcome. Figured some people would like to know when we play and who. Would love to be able to travel with the girls to Alaska but afraid the cost is just a little more then we can manage. It will be a great once in a life time experience for the girls.

Return to “Girls Basketball”