SOC 1/2 POY thoughts and predictions?

Beaver92
Waterboy

SOC 1/2 POY thoughts and predictions?

Post by Beaver92 »

My choice for soc-1 is Carson Roney from eastern. Avg about 30 ppg and 15 rpg . Totally dominating the league.

js7_22
Varsity

Re: SOC 1/2 POY thoughts and predictions?

Post by js7_22 »

I like Hagen Schaefer this year, she's a junior guard/forward with a ton of talent. She shoots the ball extremely well and has to play with 4-6 girls who are great around her which makes it more difficult for her to lead every single game. Roney doesn't have much around her, so it's left up to her to do the scoring.

Schaefer is avg 20pts and 7 reb a night and has led her team to a 2nd straight SOC 1 title. In my opinion you remove her from the team and games could very easily have gone the other way (New Boston she hit 6-8 free throws to seal it in 2OT).

KY.BUCKEYE
Freshman Team

Post by KY.BUCKEYE »

Hall from S.W.

G0 BuCKs
toast
All State

Post by toast »

SOC 2 player of the year is easy to pick. It should be shared between Holden from Burg and Hall from Webster. Any other result would be a profound injustice. Burg and Webster split their games against each other just like last year. I've seen both play several times and they're both outstanding players. No way one should be picked over the other.

Fundamental2
Waterboy

Post by Fundamental2 »

I have no issue with a Co Player of the Year in the SOC 2 or 1. Hall and Holden put in the work over the years and since their freshmen season been a BIG reason their teams are successful.

SOC 1, I would give a Co POY again, C Roney is a great player but had to do what she did all year for them to be competitive, Smith deserves it cause she led her TEAM to the championship again. Look back at the beginning a lot of people said Western or Symmes Valley even New Boston would be there and with Smith doing what she did ND is back, and yes she had some good players around her, but she still put up 20 pts and 7 reb a game, to score and rebound at 5'8"?

Don't say "she is a junior and has next year to win it" that is poor reason cause we don't know what next year brings, POY is based on this year.

Beaver92
Waterboy

Post by Beaver92 »

Fundamentalist that logic doesn't always work. Two years ago eastern won the league with only 5 players, and Carson Roney was the main reason they won with 25-ppg. They gave the award to a senior from clay who avg 12 ppg and I think clay finished 3-4th that year. She has been slighted the last couple years imo

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Beaver92, Eastern had more than 5 players and Clay ended up 2nd in the SOC and went on to beat Eastern in the tournament (she avg more than 12ppg as well). It's about this year and this year only. Roney did prolly deserve it her sophomore year, but this whole "seniors" deserve it argument gets old. You vote based on who the best player of the year is. What happens if one of the players gets injured and cannot play their senior year? Like I said, I wouldn't want to be in that room when they vote, it'll def be between these two players, and hopefully people don't throw in their players to water down the voting.

Coaches need to put weight on the entire voting system (PPG, Reb, Steals, defense, how did her team do) Like I mentioned, Roney/Schaefer on any team instantly makes that team better, but Roney surrounded by better players will not see stats that high. Notre Dame is very balanced team and can see someone score 20 points a night from 3-4 different players any day of the week. Not taking anything from Roney, but this should play a huge factor in voting, but are coaches smart enough to think so too? It happens in every sport, and at the end of the day, someone will always question the results.

Beaver92
Waterboy

Post by Beaver92 »

Js7 I belive nd finished second that year and eastern did have 6 girls but finished with 5. Carson Roney was surrounded with better players and still avg 25 ppg that year. As a matter of fact she has had good players till this year and still has managed to score about 1700 pts so far. If the award should go to best player then it's her. She shouldn't have to suffer because eastern is down this year. Shafer is a very good player but u put her on eastern and she doesn't score half as much this year. All I'm sayin is she deserves at least a share

REFEREE11
Riding the Bench

Post by REFEREE11 »

Roney Eastern no doubt, that girl is a powerhouse.

RetiredLife
Waterboy

Post by RetiredLife »

Carson Roney has my vote! She is a unique player that has had to step her game up and even though the team is down this season, she is still showing her talent and hard work every game win or lose.

Beaver92
Waterboy

Post by Beaver92 »

One more thing to add. Doing what she has been doing while being triple teamed every game after suffering a devastating ACL tear less than a year ago. Now that's impressive!

rosemount guy
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount guy »

Some say the senior argument is old, I would like to know the last time a senior was not selected as outright player of the year. Seems like the senior issue has been a trend in the SOC coaches mind. Believe the choice this year is obvious.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

soc1 is definitely carson Rooney she is a fantastic basketball player she almost beat the 1st place team in the league by herself. I get to watch a lot of basketball this year boys and girls and she has dominated teams all year long putting up big numbers player of the year same as MVP goes to the best player and she is the best player she does a lot and trys to help all the young girls she plays with out when they do play good they compete and it starts with her.

GO EAGLES

Return to “Girls Basketball”