South Point vs. Oak Hill Complete Game Recap; Oaks win 48-38

Layne99L
Freshman Team

South Point vs. Oak Hill Complete Game Recap; Oaks win 48-38

Post by Layne99L »

Lady Pointers lose first home game against Oak Hill
By: T. J. Layne

SOUTH POINT, OH-Going into the December 27th game against the Oak Hill Lady Oaks, the South Point Lady Pointers were a perfect 5-0 at home and were looking for their fourth win in a row. Because of road construction at the new school, this game was played at the old SPHS gym.

From the tip, the game was tight all night long. The first quarter ended with an 11-11 tie with junior Ericka Leighty picking up six of the Lady Pointers 11 points. The second quarter continued with a tight game as the first half ended with a 24-23 Oak Hill lead. The teams swapped the lead in the third quarter as the Lady Pointers led 34-32 going into the final eight minutes of play.

To start the fourth quarter, the Lady Oaks came out and tied the game at 34 with a foul shot giving them the lead 35-34. From there, Oak Hill never looked back as they outscored South Point 16-4 in the final quarter to win by a final score of 48-38. The game featured five lead changes and 11 ties.

Ericka Leighty and Kayla Fletcher were the leading scorers for South Point with 10 points each. Jalynn Bradburn was third on Lady Pointers scoring with 8 points. The Lady Pointers JV team was able to come from behind in the early going to win by a score of 40-25. Ashley Goodall was the South Point leading scorer in that game with 12 points.

The Lady Pointers will next be in action on Thursday, January 3rd for a home game against OVC conference opponent Rock Hill. This game will be played in the new Pointer gym. The boys team will be in action on Saturday, December 29th in a home game at the old Pointer gym against Northwest. Both games are scheduled to tip with the JV game at 6:00 pm and the varsity game 20 minutes following the final horn of the JV game. For more information go to http://www.geocities.com/southpointbasketball .

Score by Quarter

1st, 11-11
2nd, 23-24 Oak Hill
3rd, 34-32 South Point
4th, 38-48 Oak Hill

South Point Lady Pointers Scoring

Ericka Leighty-10 points
Kayla Fletcher-10 points
Jalynn Bradburn-8 points
T’Ann Mayo-6 points
Tinesha Taylor-4 points

Rocky Top Raceway, Coal Grove, Ohio-www.rockytopracewayinc.com
Jesus Saves!!!
abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Getem next time Point...Proud of your hustle. Good job, T.J. on your reporting...GO POINTERS!!

a_c_m
SEOPS H

informative article

Post by a_c_m »

Great job by the writer, TJ. Very informative article! Keep up the good work! No shame in losing to the Oaks; you both have very fine teams. Good Luck to both the Oaks and Pointers the rest of the season. It looks like both are in the same sectional at Rock Hill.

seohiofan
JV Team

Post by seohiofan »

lady oaks bounced back tonite big win against a good south point team
close game most of the way oak hill had a great team effort tonight

crazee-oakaholic
All Conference

Post by crazee-oakaholic »

What were the stats for the Lady Oaks?

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

T.J. runs a website for So. Point Athletics.

kcarth305
JV Team

Post by kcarth305 »

Wow..from reading these posts it sounds like it was a good game. I've seen both teams play. South Point has a lot of potential and young talent. They most definitely have a bright future. Oak Hill also has a lot of good quality talent.

Layne99L
Freshman Team

Post by Layne99L »

Thanks for the nice comments, I appreciate them.

Abuck76 is correct, I do PR for South Point, so I only keep stats for SP. Once we get back in the new gym, I'll be able to post some more stats for the visiting team as the scoreboard keeps track of player points for both teams.

Jesus Saves!!!
osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

TJ are you majoring in communications? I could see you as a reporter one day (either TV or newpaper)!

Layne99L
Freshman Team

Post by Layne99L »

osumufan wrote:TJ are you majoring in communications? I could see you as a reporter one day (either TV or newpaper)!

I've considered journalism, but I am majoring in Business Administration as of right now.

Thanks for the nice comments, I appreciate them. I've done PR for Rocky Top Raceway (http://www.rockytopraceway.net) for four years now and this is my first year doing PR for South Point, although I've announced SP JV games for three years now.

Jesus Saves!!!

Return to “Girls Basketball”