Doug Hale remains head coach, now hired as principal of OHHS

whythehale?
Riding the Bench

Re: Doug Hale's Reign as Head Coach

Post by whythehale? »

They had this problem when they agreed to make him interim (sp?) super. Jeff Hale threatened to quit because Mrs. Boggs and Mr. French refused to vote for anything more permanent until the season was over. They felt it was the least disruptive way to handle it for the kids sake. I agree with that. Could you imagine all this fuss in January? So if I understand correctly, the entire Hale family is willing to give up their jobs, so that Doug can have his as super?

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Any chance some of the Vinton County Girls return to Vinton?

That is one problem with your super being a coach, is the Super is the one who oversees and signs off on transfers.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

Makes sense why they waited then. The girls did not need any distractions during season.

The board member knew what he was doing when he resigned knowing who would pick the next board member. Small town politics at its best. I hope everyone sees what has happened whether they agree or disagree with whatever the decision is. Pure collusion.

oak_hill_oaks
Waterboy

Post by oak_hill_oaks »

ocho stinko wrote:Makes sense why they waited then. The girls did not need any distractions during season.

The board member knew what he was doing when he resigned knowing who would pick the next board member. Small town politics at its best. I hope everyone sees what has happened whether they agree or disagree with whatever the decision is. Pure collusion.

I heard a week before last weeks Board meeting that Jeff was going to resign if the Board remained split. And I would be willing to bet that it had been discussed by at least Doug, Joe Elcess and Jeff Hale. Not sure about Mr. Michael, but if he sides with Joe Elcess on a replacement and sends the issue to the probate Judge (his father), I would bet that he had discussed it also.

It's just so frustrating that Doug has pushed the issue this far since he had known since December that he didn't have enough votes to continue in both positions after the end of this school year. In my opinion he isn't representing himself very well as a super.

whythehale?
Riding the Bench

Post by whythehale? »

I don't think he is representing himself well, not just as a super.

oak_hill_oaks
Waterboy

Post by oak_hill_oaks »

I'm also very disappointed in Mr. Michael. We all knew what to expect from Elcess, but I really thought Michael would do what's best for the education of our students. And that is a full time super!

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

If anyone knows Judge Michael you would know that he is a free thinker and no one would make a decision for him. Aaron and Steve are on the opposite ends on these issues sometimes.

oak_hill_oaks
Waterboy

Post by oak_hill_oaks »

MightyOaksFan wrote:If anyone knows Judge Michael you would know that he is a free thinker and no one would make a decision for him. Aaron and Steve are on the opposite ends on these issues sometimes.

Guess we will see if/when the time comes.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Below is a portion of the report on the board meeting from the Telegram newspaper.
It doesn't appear Mrs. Boggs and Mr. French have issues with whether or not Mr. Hale can do either job well, it appears that they just don't think he can give full energy to both jobs.
This article also stated that Oak Hill has eliminated the assistant superintedent position, which means those duties fall to the superintendent or to whoever he delegates those duties.

While no Board member staked out his or her position publicly during the meeting, Board members Regina Boggs and Mike French both acknowledged their opposition to Hale continuing to do both jobs at the same time. Both stated they believe the two jobs together would be too time-consuming and demanding for one person. They stressed they had no problem with Hale or his abilities and his continuing in either of the two jobs -- but not both.

"Since both of these positions are very time demanding, I don't believe one person could give both of them the time demanded to do both jobs effectively," Boggs wrote in her statement. "For financial reasons, this year, the Oak Hill School Board decided to eliminate the position of the assistant superintendent. Therefore, the superintendent will need to take on more, which dictates not only the superintendent's responsibilities, but also most of those performed by the assistant superintendent."

"The time consumption is the issue," French stated. "I want to see the schools run right." He feels the issue is much more politically difficult to deal with because of the great success of the girls' basketball team and Hale's personal popularity.

French says he would have no qualms recommending a 5-year contract for Hale as superintendent were it not for the unresolved issue of whether he can keep the basketball-coaching position.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

I know we've stated our opinions,and I know it's not that cut and dried, but why couldn't he do both jobs? Unless someone has a substantial complaint on his performance doing both,why not do both? Or is it just the simple fact they are trying to enforce the admin cant coach rule? And he's just been caught in the wash so to spreak.

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

Exactly BP let the man work if he falters i'm sure he will be the first to admit it

whythehale?
Riding the Bench

Post by whythehale? »

I no longer think he would be the first to admit it. When the school system needs help do you really want to risk him (or anyone) "faltering" for basketball?

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

How would you define falter? I am sure everyone has a different opinion when it comes to faltering. Why would a school district even take a chance on faltering on students education? Plus if the board lets him do both and test scores fall and the budget would get worse, then the board members that voted for him to do both need to be held accountable come election time. I am not a person that is for gambling on students education though. Of course that is up to the Oak Hill community to decide.

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

as has been said before the Super. job is that of a manager. The teachers take care of the day to day education of the kids. The principals take care of the bulidings including the teachers, student discipline etc. The guidance counslors or posssiblity a currrculum coord. take care of testing, the treasurer takes care of finance. The Super. supervises, makes recommendations to the B.O.E and oversees the operations of the District. It doesn't matter if it is 2:00pm or 2:00am when he is checking to see if things are being done right. Also the Board of Education must approve everything including budgets for sports. My point is that if the Super. does falter it won't be a sudden thing the BOE would see a decline long before something drastic happens. And yes I believe Doug Hale would be the man to step up and say I can't do both.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

Getting paid over $85,000 is alot of money for being simply a manager. You make the job sound so easy a cave man could do it. :lol:

whythehale?
Riding the Bench

Post by whythehale? »

It is nice that you still have faith in Doug. But after all of this do you really think he would admit if he could not handle it?

Yes there is a chain of command in a school system, but who is at the top of that chain? The person at the top is responsible for ALL those below him or her. At the elementary school we have teachers who are more concerned with making sure they always get their free period than teaching their students, a principal who is not as in the loop as a principal should be (the students playing with squirt guns at school? really?) and staff who think if it is not specifically written in their contract then they should not be expected to help in any way. At the high school the "college prep" is laughable, teachers gossip like they are the ones in high school, and in many classes it is not about the work you do, but about how much the teacher likes you. Now, I should probably point out that there are great teachers and employees in the school district as well, who are working hard to make it better for the students, but unfortunately they are overlooked because of the not so good things.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

The college prep must not be too laughable, because Oak Hill is getting athletes from other schools because of a better educational opportunity. No disputing that, everyone on here has posted that many times :-D

In all seriousness, whythehale is right, I think the point you are trying to make is that there is constant problems in any district that maybe unheard from the nonschool community, but is well known within the walls. It is absolutely up to the super that must be there. I really don't think they can take care of those problems at 2 a.m. either.

Blockcharge, maybe you should apply since being a super is so easy in your job description. You must have no idea whatsoever what a super actually does.

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

Didn't say the job was easy. If it was anybody could do it. All schools have problems a lot of problems. But didn't I read some where in the above posts that Oak hill was rated excellant? So something must be going right. Yes I do have a lot of faith in Doug Hale. It seems to me that a successful Coach and a successful Super. have a lot in common, the ablitiy to organize and manage multiple tasks, the ablility to delegate to subordinate's and yet still oversee what is being done. The ability to inspire staff and /or players. My original thoughts on the subject was "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I also said that even if the Super. is on call 24/7 they don't work 24/7 and the coaching part would come in on spare time, and who should tell anyone what to do in their spare time. When someone's argument is the education of the children thats an emotional issue, I believe that the "extras" sports, band, clubs are an important part of that education. I don't believe they are directly opposed to each other but the "extras" compliment the education. I think the real issue should be where did the dollars go that funded the Asst. Super.'s Salary and benefits, I think to find that out and solve that issue would be more important. Look to Columbus to solve that one for you in their wisdom the legistlature probably cut it out of the budget. Look at how they do business. They require your Treasurer to make a 5 year forecast of funds when they will only project out 2 years, with no assurances that the $'s will be there in either year. I believe you got a good man in Doug and should support him.

godsgeneral
Freshman Team

Post by godsgeneral »

Is there a policy, currently in place, by the OH BOE, that states that an administrator cannot coach?

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

There is a huge conflict of interest within this situation. The Athletic Director is the boss of the Girls Basketball Coach, but the Superintendent is the AD's boss. So therefore, Doug Hale would is the boss of his boss. He could make any decision he wanted to and nothing could be done about it. That is why he can't do both.

Return to “Girls Basketball”