Doug Hale remains head coach, now hired as principal of OHHS

whythehale?
Riding the Bench

Re: Doug Hale's Reign as Head Coach

Post by whythehale? »

Did I ever say that Doug should not coach? No. I said he should not be permitted to do both. Most people arguing for him to do both only talk about the basketball. The superintendent job is bigger than that. Education is what should be being discussed in all of this. I do think Doug would be great at steering the schools in a better direction. I do not think he should be coaching as well. Comparing being a teacher and a coach is like comparing apples to oranges. Practices and games take place well after the workday is done. I know that teachers bring their work home, and for the great teachers it is not just a 7-2 job, but the required part of the job is done before extracurriculars start. If the superintendent is 9-5 on a good week are the games and practices going to be moved to later?
I played for Doug. I have respect for him. He taught me some things that I still remember and that I consider important as an adult. To say that I would be jealous is absurd, but I believe that everyone is entitled to stating their opinion. Hopefully the parents getting so riled up about Doug still coaching are teaching their children the importance of their education and are demanding better for their schools.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

qualified101 wrote:theres no guarantee the sun will come up tomorrow but i'll betcha it does. would you like some odds black panther?

watch your back doug, next thing they'll try to do is take your truck away. :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246

i bet everyone in the league is heaving a big sigh of relief right about now.

i'll let you jackson county folks take it from here. and remember, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

The odds on the sun coming up tomorrow are still better than your chances at winning the state.Can you get there again? Yes,but you have to remember something, the school you lost to last year dosen't rebuild they reload.There might even be someone around here that could upset you.That's why they play the games on the court and not on paper or on fans wishful thinking.I will say this, having Hale as coach would help though.Good Luck either way...
Last edited by Black Panther on Sat May 23, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

i agree, good luck to your team this year panther.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

qualified101 wrote:i agree, good luck to your team this year panther.

I do hope they make the right decison.I mean, Coach Hale is what Lady Oak basketball is...It will be weird if he is'nt coach.I dont have a team now.....But thanks none the less...
Last edited by Black Panther on Fri May 22, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

I do not know why people are arguing that people are jealous. I do not know any posters on here so I don't know the reason for the argument. The Super job is way more than 7-3. That statement is absolutely foolish. A good super works over 60 hours a week. The super is responsible for EVERYTHING in the district. I just think that this causes a conflict of interest and sends a message that sports is more important than education. If I see how it is set-up now Oak Hill now does not have an assistant superintendent which means more work than the previous super. I think the former principal would understand the education process better than anyone and I would believe she understands the problems this could cause. Tough decision for the community I can see both arguments but I would have to sway toward the side what is best for all students and I think a super should have no other distractions.

However, this should have been dealt with when the job was offered to him. It shocks me that it is a problem because it should have been dealt with a long time ago. Plus the board member resigning is absolutley bush league, immature and small town politics at its finest. Oak Hill normally handles everything so professionally and I hope this doesn't tear them down, or cause their community to divide. Again very interesting to watch. This would be a great philosophical debate for a college course or great for a thesis "should a super also be a head coach". Best of Luck to the Oaks hope everything works out best for your kids and community.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

First of all, to think a Super only makes 65,000 a year is a joke. Next there is no way a Super job is 7 to 3, it has to be 60 plus hours a week. People that write on here, must not know anything about the education world. Every night there is something going on somewhere where the Super should be in attendance from elementary school plays to high school band concerts. If a Super in 100% committed to their job their evenings are booked every night.

Obviously the work must have been hard enough for the Super at some point in Oak Hill because they had an assistant (Doug), now they don't have an assistant and want Doug to do both jobs and coach, really come on. He needs to make a decision, but never should have been put in this spot.

Also the people that are threatening the board members that they won't get reelected if they don't let Doug do both, are the people that elected them to make the right decisions (ironic, don't you think).

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

no joke.

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layo ... 00014.html

The median expected salary for a typical Superintendent in the United States is $74,733

so i was off 4700, sorry. in a smaller community like oak hill it is probably below the median. maybe, maybe not.

Job Description
Superintendent
Determines overall academic strategy and goals for a school district. Establishes, plans, and directs the policies, procedures and programs for the school district. May require a Ph.D in education with at least 10 years of experience in the field. Generally manages a group of exempt and/or nonexempt employees. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Typically reports to a school board.

dont see anything about attending ball games, track meets, school plays, band concerts, or even high school playoff games.

looks to me like a super is a manager. as a manager, you delegate responsibilities to people who can handle them. you don't do it all yourself. if that were the case why would a manager need any other employees. i am a manager. as a manager, i have to delegate tasks to employees that the employees can handle. sometimes i have to do some things myself but that is mostly upper level stuff. i have been to just about every motivational engagement that has come down the pike. they all say the same thing. WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

bball fan123
Freshman Team

Post by bball fan123 »

Black Panther wrote:
qualified101 wrote:theres no guarantee the sun will come up tomorrow but i'll betcha it does. would you like some odds black panther?

watch your back doug, next thing they'll try to do is take your truck away. :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246

i'll let you jackson county folks take it from here. and remember, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

The odds on the sun coming up tomorrow are still better than your chances at winning the state.Can you get there again? Yes,but you have to remember something the school you lost to last year dosen't rebuild they reload.There might even be someone around here that could upset you.That's why they play the games on the court and not on paper or on fans wishful thinking.I will say this, having Hale as coach would help though.Good Luck either way...

If I heard correctly Regina is now Division 2 so their odds look good to me

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

101 exactly the super. is a manager, what a super. is paid for is the responsiblity he accepts as the super. Just because bb practice starts at 2 doesn't mean the super work is done. like a teacher the super can take work home with him. as for the meetings there might be times it will be tough to make bb practice that is why it is important to surround yourself with good asst.s who can run a practice without the head coach being there. also if you want to survey a lot of supers. go to boys state basketball tourney you can sure talk to alot of them there.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

Qualified, You've got to be kidding me. Just because it is not in your job description, doesn't mean that they aren't expected to be at other events. A teacher's job description doesn't not state that they need to chaperone dances, watch their students participate in sports, attend spelling bees, watch plays, go to band concerts, watch national honor society inductions, go to graduation, attend choir concerts, be at awards ceremonies (just to name a few) but a good teacher likes to attends those types of events. A super is in charge of every student, teacher and support staff, don't you think someone that is 100% committed to the job will be at all of those events. Game, set, match. You have no argument left.

Hale needs to make a choice, but he probably will get his way.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

bball fan123 wrote:
Black Panther wrote:

The odds on the sun coming up tomorrow are still better than your chances at winning the state.Can you get there again? Yes,but you have to remember something, the school you lost to last year dosen't rebuild they reload.There might even be someone around here that could upset you.That's why they play the games on the court and not on paper or on fans wishful thinking.I will say this, having Hale as coach would help though.Good Luck either way...

If I heard correctly Regina is now Division 2 so their odds look good to me
They will be the D2 champs then...LOL

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

Last year the Super made $85,474 in Oak Hill, you can check it out on the Ohio School Board Association website. A little off of your $65,000 estimate.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

What a brilliant move by the board member that resigned. He knew the board will not agree with whom to replace him. This means that Micheals father will pick the successor. Wow! I wonder who the judge will pick. My bet is that it will be who his son tells him to pick. Brilliant policital move by the board member. Well thought out. Checkmate.

whythehale?
Riding the Bench

Post by whythehale? »

I thought the board had 30 days to choose someone first. And wouldn't Judge Michael choosing be another conflict of interest? I still have some hope that Mr. Michael will end up being a no vote when the time comes. Don't they have to have a coach by June 1st?

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

know your role wrote:Qualified, You've got to be kidding me. Just because it is not in your job description, doesn't mean that they aren't expected to be at other events. A teacher's job description doesn't not state that they need to chaperone dances, watch their students participate in sports, attend spelling bees, watch plays, go to band concerts, watch national honor society inductions, go to graduation, attend choir concerts, be at awards ceremonies (just to name a few) but a good teacher likes to attends those types of events. A super is in charge of every student, teacher and support staff, don't you think someone that is 100% committed to the job will be at all of those events. Game, set, match. You have no argument left.

Hale needs to make a choice, but he probably will get his way.

not so fast. ive been to a few(pun untended) athletic events over the years and a i would say maybe 10% of teachers attend the extra events. dont mistake the teachers that have to be there with the teachers are just supporting the kids. even at football which is probably the biggest attended sport , you would be lucky to find 30-40% of all teachers in the district. are you actually saying that a super is expected to attend these events. that is absolutely ludicrous(sp). as far as your definition of a super, well, it really doesnt matter now does it. your arguement is way off base. what in the world would a super do if on a tuesday night the girls bball team had a game, the boys team had a game, plus the under grads and their prospective games. my guess is, the super wouldnt be at any of them.

you and i both know whats this is about on your end. it was common knowledge that you didnt care for coach hale as you and the current head coach used to complain about him in front of the other kids. you know it, i know it, now everybody knows it.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

I will make it even EASIER for you to understand, if you really believe that Doug will put 100% into being a super (which I don't think anyone would argue), then he will be at these events because every kid in the district is his kids. You are right, not all teachers attend extra curricular events, it is not in their job descriptions, like I was trying to point out to you. However, the good teachers, the ones that support their students attend these events not because it is in the description, but because they are showing their support of their kids. I know a lot of supers and administrators in other districts that attend anything and everything they can. If there is a boys home game and a girls away game then he attends the home game. If there is a girls home game and an elementary play, then he makes his presence at both. Everything is in one building how hard could that be? Come on, use some logic.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

know your role wrote:Last year the Super made $85,474 in Oak Hill, you can check it out on the Ohio School Board Association website. A little off of your $65,000 estimate.

as i said give or take 5k. whether its 65k, 85k, or 185k is irrelevant. its the same job description.

it is in the boe's hands now as they are the authority figure on this matter. it doesnt matter what you post or i post, im sure the boe is not going to consult this forum to make their decision. can we at least agree on that much?

its easy for you to sit back and say make a decision but we both know you and I really dont need to worry about whether we could be the super or stay the coach of an elite girls bball program in se ohio. in regards to your tennis reference, can you say "foot fault".
Last edited by qualified101 on Sun May 24, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

know your role wrote:I will make it even EASIER for you to understand, if you really believe that Doug will put 100% into being a super (which I don't think anyone would argue), then he will be at these events because every kid in the district is his kids. You are right, not all teachers attend extra curricular events, it is not in their job descriptions, like I was trying to point out to you. However, the good teachers, the ones that support their students attend these events not because it is in the description, but because they are showing their support of their kids. I know a lot of supers and administrators in other districts that attend anything and everything they can. If there is a boys home game and a girls away game then he attends the home game. If there is a girls home game and an elementary play, then he makes his presence at both. Everything is in one building how hard could that be? Come on, use some logic.

most teachers do not attend these extra events unless they have a child involved or they are the coach unless its football. our super must really be bad because i have never seen him at any sporting events. ive been to alot of bball games and soccer matches. maybe he made up for it and made some softball and baseball games. yeah right, can you see him in a suit in 80 degree weather. :lol: i'll give ya graduation and nhs, that should be part of their contract.

lets just agree to disagree as it really doesnt affect either one of us. :( :( :(

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

You are right, it has been fun debating. We can debate more when a decision is made. :-D

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

I don't think a board has to come up with a coach by June 1. Most people like to have a coach by then so they can use their 10 coaching days. The later it gets the harder it is to find a coach though. That is why I would have figured the board would have had this figured out when they first hired him. They knew he would want to coach. I understand why. I understand why this is a tough decision both ways. I just dont like how the one board member quit. Makes it look like collusion, especially with who gets to appoint the board member if the board does not agree.

Return to “Girls Basketball”