Freshman Team

Re: Oak Hill vs. Versailles...State Semi-Final

Post by Late 70s Logan grad »

thanks!

godsgeneral
Freshman Team

Post by godsgeneral »

Wow! Fantastic Game and a well deserved win!

OregonOak
Waterboy

Post by OregonOak »

Thanks to GodsGeneral for that link. That was tremendous!

Put a big smile on this old Oak's face.

Congratulations girls and also to my good friend Doug.

godsgeneral
Freshman Team

Post by godsgeneral »

OregonOak wrote:Thanks to GodsGeneral for that link. That was tremendous!

Put a big smile on this old Oak's face.

Congratulations girls and also to my good friend Doug.

You're welcome.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

congrats

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Nice job by (the Kids) Lady Oaks, all of southern Ohio are with you bring it home

Viking Pride
Waterboy

Post by Viking Pride »

Way to go Lakin, Mikie, and Rebecca from Hoopster country!

THE CORDIAL ONE
Waterboy

Post by THE CORDIAL ONE »

I cordially say congrats to the Oaks. We will see you Saturday at the State Championship!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Congrats to the Lady Oaks and good luck against Regina.

godsgeneral
Freshman Team

Post by godsgeneral »

Dan Labbe, OhioHSsports.com, March 19, 2009 8:34 p.m.

Oak Hill's Breanna Butler reacts in the final seconds of her team's 47-43 win over Versailles in a Division III semifinal game. - (AP Photo/Paul Vernon)There will be no repeat champion in Division III this year. The Oak Hill Lady Oaks made sure of that.

In just their second state tournament appearance in school history, Oak Hill knocked off defending state champion Versailles, 47-43, in the second Division III semifinal game of the night. The Lady Oaks will play Regina on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.

Oak Hill survived a frantic fourth quarter to advance. Breanna Butler hit a three to close Versaille's lead early in the quarter to 34-33. A five-second violation and Mikie Strite layup later left Oak Hill with 35-34 lead. After falling behind again, Rebecca Puckett converted a basket and a free throw to give the Lady Oaks a 39-37 lead.
After Versailles fought back to tie the game at 41, Lakin Caudill drew a foul on Versailles' Megan Campbell. Caudill made two free throws for a 43-41 lead and Oak Hill was on their way.

The opening quarter was a practice in offensive futility. After jumping out to a 6-2 lead, Versailles managed just two more points over the final 5:21 of the quarter. Oak Hill managed just 3 points for the quarter, all by Rebecca Puckett.

Oak Hill found their offense in the second quarter shooting 7-13 from the field including 2-3 from three-point range. The Lady Oaks took their first lead at the 5:17 mark of the quarter on a Karissa Adkins three. Emily Frey kept Versailles even thanks to a three and four free throws, but Breanna Butler made a three for Oak Hill with three seconds left to give the Lady Oaks a 19-17 halftime edge.

"It was a shot I wanted her to take." said Oak Hill coach Doug Hale of Butler's shot. "We haven't been finishing quarters strong all year."

Emily Frey and Breanna Butler traded threes in the third, each hitting two as the lead changed hands multiple times. A Karen Smith basket and free throw with 3:07 to play gave Versailles a 31-27 lead. They carried a 34-29 lead into the final quarter.

Said Breanna Butler of facing Regina, "We'll be ready for them."

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Congrats to the Oaks! Representing southeastern Ohio well once again. Good luck on Saturday!*

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

ImageImageImageImage

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

I wish the Lady Oaks the best in their game against Regina. You have ALOT of folks from SEO pulling for you in this game. Let's show'em what we are made of down this way!!!!!!

Best of luck from the Lancer faithful!

blondebomb
Freshman Team

Post by blondebomb »

OMG, I'm so proud of the Lady Oaks for hanging on for the win. I felt all the girls never gave up & stuck in there & that's why you're playing in the FINALS on Sat. GOOD LUCK LADY OAKS, BRING IT HOME !!!!!!!! :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

Congratulations Lady Oaks. This old Oak is proud of you. Good luck Saturday . Play hard, play fair, and have fun. What a memory you will be making.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Well, where to begin.

First off, my apologies to bball123 and Mikie Strite for omitting her name — in my gameday preview piece — from the girls which have played in two regional finals for the Lady Oaks. One of those things that when your mind and typing fingers are moving too fast, you don't slow down enough to catch it.

As for the game, statistically, this is as rare as that prime rib steak I once had at an Outback Steakhouse in Nags Head, N.C. Have never ordered a medium rare steak since.

Oak Hill scored just three points in the first quarter, and Versailles was 18-of-23 from the free-throw line and Oak Hill just 8-of-12.

I know I looked down at my notes and it was 21-4 in total free throw attempts at one time.

Oak Hill had 20 personal fouls and Versailles 13 for the game, but at one point in the second half it was 11-3.

Yet Oak Hill won. Freshman Breanna Butler with 18 points, including four threes, in a state semifinal game! A freshman!

BTW, she and Rebecca Puckett also did a very nice job in the postgame press conference of answering questions in front of many of the statewide reporters there.

Usually, two young high school athletes like that are not used to being interviewed by any media — let alone many outlets from all over the state. We're talking newspaper, web sites, radio and TV cameras were on as well.

It's one thing for them to answer questions just talking one-on-one with me from the local paper, but they did a good job in front of the microphones answering not only my questions but all of the reporters in the presser as well.

Great job Lady Oaks and good luck on Saturday in the state championship against Regina! See you at the Schott.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Great job Lady Oaks, good Luck Saturday against Regina.

Return to “Girls Basketball”