Attendance at the Convo for the Girls!

qualified101
SEO

Re: Attendance at the Convo for the Girls!

Post by qualified101 »

crews are encouraged to not blow the whistle when it comes tourney time by the state.

i would much rather view a game at the convo than some high school gym. plus, your team knows they have accomplished something when they get to the convo. dont think it warrants a net cutting but thats just my personal opinion.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Makes sense to play the District Championship (one game) in the huge Convo and then "advance back" to a H.S. gym for Regionals.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

i like the girls playing in the convo even if it is only one game, think of how much that one game of experience in a big arena will help Oak Hill when they play in columbus

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

2010, good point. i would still rather see a game at the convo than watch one in a hs gym, even all the hs new gyms that are springing up.

there were more people at some of the games than there are at ou games. good stuff.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

I started this topic, so I know it is suppose to be about attendance at the convo but I feel I must reply to "qualifed". --- The state (whoever that is) does not encourage crews "to not blow their whistles"!!! If officials change their officiating style during tournamet games it is their own personal choice. The sad fact is that normally during the tournament, officials don't get evaluated until the Regional or State level.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

pretty sure they do. i have never heard it from the state but some officials i know have heard it put to them in very delicate terms. "make sure its a foul" pretty much means dont call the touch fouls which is wrong in my world. if its a foul in the regular season, its a foul in the post season, there should be no differentiation.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

qualified101 wrote:pretty sure they do. i have never heard it from the state but some officials i know have heard it put to them in very delicate terms. "make sure its a foul" pretty much means dont call the touch fouls which is wrong in my world. if its a foul in the regular season, its a foul in the post season, there should be no differentiation.

Put to them by who??? You are absolutely right, a foul is a foul is a foul. I think some officials just tell that fairy tale to justify their poor skills in crunch situations.

tagyourit
Riding the Bench

Post by tagyourit »

I thought the attendance that day wasn't too bad overall. The Convo is just huge and granted you aren't going to get crowds like you did for a boys game there, but it was worth it I believe.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

but gahs only officials nominated by their own local chapter are eligible for post season. first you have to be nominated by your local chapter, then the ratings come into play.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

gahs4ever wrote:The officials are rated by coaches all through the season, and the best ones (according to the voting coaches) EARN tournament assignments.

Go to http://www.ohsaa.org

At the bar at the top, click on officiating home

Go down the column to game assignments and click

Read the sections on tournament assignments, sectional and district assignments, and regional and state assignments.

Click on the sport you are interested in at the bottom of the page to see the voting results. On the left click on the district you are interested in.

Now you know everything there is to know about tournament officiating assignments, and not some erronious information from a friend.

Enjoy the site!

There is a big difference between getting a rating by a coach and being observed/evaluated by someone not emotionally involved in the game. It is a fact that officials are not observed/evaluated until regional or state level games. I am very familiar with the rating/voting system used to determine pools for tournament assignments. In my opinion that system has nothing to do with impoving the performance of officials like having someone observe - evaluate - then discuss said performance. By the way the discussion was about performance of officials not the assignment of officials.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

So how do you propose you pay for these evaluators? Who will evaluate? That would take quality officials off of the floor and there are not enough of them to go around.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

Pol Pot wrote:So how do you propose you pay for these evaluators? Who will evaluate? That would take quality officials off of the floor and there are not enough of them to go around.

That is a good question for which there is no good answer. I am not so sure that pay is a major obstacle. The few evaluators that are used at some sites are not paid. To me consistency in what observers/evaluators looked for would be a bigger problem than pay. You are right about not taking quality officials off the floor but what about former officials?

qualified101 wrote:but gahs only officials nominated by their own local chapter are eligible for post season. first you have to be nominated by your local chapter, then the ratings come into play.

That is not entirley correct. Being nominated by your local chapter improves your chances of getting a post season game. It does not mean you will actually get one nor does not being nominated prevent you from getting one.

southernohiofan
JV Team

Post by southernohiofan »

it was great to watch the games at the convo this year and hope this continues in the future

Return to “Girls Basketball”