Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #7

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #7

Post by 93Bulldog »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:29 pm Floyd -

11-0 is now the best start in school history. 8-)
If they go 22-0 will Floyd finally put them at No. 1? I think you'd have to, even if Fairland finishes 19-3. Be a very interesting debate.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

22-0 is not out of the realm of possibility , Logan has some great match-ups coming up - Parkersburg High School, Parkersburg South High School (both on the road) ... a healthy VC team, a very good Warren team , Whitehall, Mt Vernon, Dublin Jerome on the road in the land of gluten free popcorn ... Logan wins vs those teams would tell us what we already know that Logan is the real deal ... Fairland has proven itself - the Dragons have played at the big show in the post season ... Fairland has played and lost to tougher opponents than Logan has played , the caliber of teams like ASVSM (2 point loss) & Lennett AL (2 point loss) , Cox Mill NC with multiple legitimate D1 college players ... Fairland would have to fall flat to drop from #1 BUT never say never ... the loss of Gunner Short is big - I looked at what Short is doing at Boyd Co KY - he has had multiple 30 + point games ... he is an offensive weapon without a doubt ... without him means Keedrick Cunningham starts, doesn't come off the bench which makes the FHS bench scoring limited at best ... I agree it will be fun to watch play out ! I will see Fairland play in the Beasts of the Southeast, as well as a drive to Gallia Academy for Matchup # 2 between the Dragons & Gallia ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I so hope Logan goes 22-0, just to force you to make a tough decision, Floyd. Lol

And no ties!!!!! Don't you dare try and weasel your way out by awarding 'co-champions' this year.

I just don't see how a D1 undefeated team in SEO could not be No. 1. You better fire up the ouigi board and magic 8-ball buddy.

:)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I'm up for the challenge ! the Ouija Board will be put to the test ! ... probably would be hard to find a better inside/outside pair as Caiden Landis and Bo Myers ... both dropped 31 points today and Bo added 12 rbs to record ANOTHER double-double ...

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

For a second straight week, pfloyd's top 3 are all in the top 10 (top 9 actually) of their respective divisions AP poll.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:43 pm For a second straight week, pfloyd's top 3 are all in the top 10 (top 9 actually) of their respective divisions AP poll.
(thumbs up)

Dragon's Lair
Riding the Bench

Post by Dragon's Lair »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:02 pm 22-0 is not out of the realm of possibility , Logan has some great match-ups coming up - Parkersburg High School, Parkersburg South High School (both on the road) ... a healthy VC team, a very good Warren team , Whitehall, Mt Vernon, Dublin Jerome on the road in the land of gluten free popcorn ... Logan wins vs those teams would tell us what we already know that Logan is the real deal ... Fairland has proven itself - the Dragons have played at the big show in the post season ... Fairland has played and lost to tougher opponents than Logan has played , the caliber of teams like ASVSM (2 point loss) & Lennett AL (2 point loss) , Cox Mill NC with multiple legitimate D1 college players ... Fairland would have to fall flat to drop from #1 BUT never say never ... the loss of Gunner Short is big - I looked at what Short is doing at Boyd Co KY - he has had multiple 30 + point games ... he is an offensive weapon without a doubt ... without him means Keedrick Cunningham starts, doesn't come off the bench which makes the FHS bench scoring limited at best ... I agree it will be fun to watch play out ! I will see Fairland play in the Beasts of the Southeast, as well as a drive to Gallia Academy for Matchup # 2 between the Dragons & Gallia ...

I agree with everything in the last statement...I have never seen Logan play so cannot attest to them. In the 12 games Fairland has played this year, 4 of those games have been against defending state champions. That's 33% of our games so far...no one else in southern ohio can say that. Beat Huntington High at their place, defending West Virginia AAA state champs with a legit D1 kid offered by Marshall. Lost to Lanett by 2 on a last second tip in, defending Alabama AA state champs with a legit D1 kid offered by Florida Atlantic. Lost to Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary's by 2, defending Ohio Div. 2 champs. Lost to Cox Mill by 26, down 3 at halftime, defending North Carolina big school champs with a kid committed to North Carolina, and another kid with offers from UNC, Kansas, and Duke. How many southern ohio teams or players have ever played against a kid going to any of those schools. You can say that Fairland should have beat SVSM and I agree that it was a winnable game but that doesn't mean im saying we are better than they are. That game could go either way everytime it is played. Just because they have multiple losses doesn't mean they are not a very good team. Look at a couple of their wins, Cleveland villa angela st. joesephs at their place, and Trottwood Madison. WOW! Plus took the #2 ranked Div. #1 team in Huber Heights Wayne, who is undefeated,to the wire the night before. Throw in a 15 point win against a Div 1 school in Centerville who only lost by 2 to that same Wayne team and you will have a team that is very battle tested. I applaud the Fairland coaching staff and athletic director for putting such a challenging schedule together for those very lucky kids. It would have been so easy for Coach Speed to schedule down and put up an undefeated regular season to pad his own resume and win district coach of the year. Now none of that guarantees a trip for Fairland back to the final 4, or even a district title. Bumping up to Div. 2 this year will bring an entire new set of challenges. But no one can say that they have not been prepared. As for the roster, their is no reason to talk about who is not here, only who is and I am very proud and confident in that team. Lot of bball left to play and the great thing about high school sports is the kids will decide how far they will go. GO DRAGONS!

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:11 pm
Oaktown wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:05 pm
Sportsman wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 am Fairland and Logan the class of the southeast. Not sure Oak Hill is better than some of the teams below them Gallia and Unioto. Great job as always.
Oak Hill beat Gallia Academy in the first contest of the year in the foundation game.

I'm not sure why Oak Hill gets no respect on this forum. They have lost one regular season game in two years now. How many other teams on this list can say that? Other than one bad shooting night at the convo and some home cooking in Burg, this Oak Hill team has played pretty excellent basketball. I'm not disputing the two teams Pfloyd has ranked ahead of Oak Hill, but to question them against the teams behind them is ludicrous.
I’d have Oak Hill firmly at #3. Last doesn’t help or hurt any team for this year. I would bet OH over Gallia every time right now...but I wouldn’t give any credit for a foundation game. It just doesn’t count.

Oak Hill’s 5 are able to hang with anyone with Norm assisting. Addition of Darby was huge of course giving them at least a decent matchup with Logan and Fairland...but I’d bet Logan and Fairland over OH.

Doesn’t mean anything, just discussion. A district championship this year is simply a must. Burg and Portsmouth maybe only teams even remotely close.
I would agree with all of that except for the foundation game not meaning anything. In a normal year against an average opponent I would say this is an accurate statement. However, in a year with all of the Gallia Academy hype playing a team of the caliber of Oak Hill they brought everything they had. Neither coach (with their history) wanted to lose that game for prides sake. Not to mention, that game and the game against Fairland were the two they had something to prove.

Lightle72
Riding the Bench

Post by Lightle72 »

Pretty tough rankings. Waverly has lost 2 to a very good Oak Hill team and Lost to a pretty good Eastern Pike team. Beat the Burg head to head and is below them in the poll. A lot of ball left though.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Good stuff Dragon's Lair ! ... Fairland has been THE TEAM in the SouthEast District that ALL others have been & ARE compared to ... I've watched these kids for going on 4 years - Kollin Van Horn, Isaiah Howell, Ty Staten, Luke Thomas, Keedrick Cunningham ... anyone who has followed high school basketball Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line can rattle off these young men's names ... it's been my pleasure as a fan of high school hoops to have watched these players throughout their high school careers ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dragon's Lair wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:53 pm
pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:02 pm 22-0 is not out of the realm of possibility , Logan has some great match-ups coming up - Parkersburg High School, Parkersburg South High School (both on the road) ... a healthy VC team, a very good Warren team , Whitehall, Mt Vernon, Dublin Jerome on the road in the land of gluten free popcorn ... Logan wins vs those teams would tell us what we already know that Logan is the real deal ... Fairland has proven itself - the Dragons have played at the big show in the post season ... Fairland has played and lost to tougher opponents than Logan has played , the caliber of teams like ASVSM (2 point loss) & Lennett AL (2 point loss) , Cox Mill NC with multiple legitimate D1 college players ... Fairland would have to fall flat to drop from #1 BUT never say never ... the loss of Gunner Short is big - I looked at what Short is doing at Boyd Co KY - he has had multiple 30 + point games ... he is an offensive weapon without a doubt ... without him means Keedrick Cunningham starts, doesn't come off the bench which makes the FHS bench scoring limited at best ... I agree it will be fun to watch play out ! I will see Fairland play in the Beasts of the Southeast, as well as a drive to Gallia Academy for Matchup # 2 between the Dragons & Gallia ...

I agree with everything in the last statement...I have never seen Logan play so cannot attest to them. In the 12 games Fairland has played this year, 4 of those games have been against defending state champions. That's 33% of our games so far...no one else in southern ohio can say that. Beat Huntington High at their place, defending West Virginia AAA state champs with a legit D1 kid offered by Marshall. Lost to Lanett by 2 on a last second tip in, defending Alabama AA state champs with a legit D1 kid offered by Florida Atlantic. Lost to Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary's by 2, defending Ohio Div. 2 champs. Lost to Cox Mill by 26, down 3 at halftime, defending North Carolina big school champs with a kid committed to North Carolina, and another kid with offers from UNC, Kansas, and Duke. How many southern ohio teams or players have ever played against a kid going to any of those schools. You can say that Fairland should have beat SVSM and I agree that it was a winnable game but that doesn't mean im saying we are better than they are. That game could go either way everytime it is played. Just because they have multiple losses doesn't mean they are not a very good team. Look at a couple of their wins, Cleveland villa angela st. joesephs at their place, and Trottwood Madison. WOW! Plus took the #2 ranked Div. #1 team in Huber Heights Wayne, who is undefeated,to the wire the night before. Throw in a 15 point win against a Div 1 school in Centerville who only lost by 2 to that same Wayne team and you will have a team that is very battle tested. I applaud the Fairland coaching staff and athletic director for putting such a challenging schedule together for those very lucky kids. It would have been so easy for Coach Speed to schedule down and put up an undefeated regular season to pad his own resume and win district coach of the year. Now none of that guarantees a trip for Fairland back to the final 4, or even a district title. Bumping up to Div. 2 this year will bring an entire new set of challenges. But no one can say that they have not been prepared. As for the roster, their is no reason to talk about who is not here, only who is and I am very proud and confident in that team. Lot of bball left to play and the great thing about high school sports is the kids will decide how far they will go. GO DRAGONS!
Excellent post

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

for sure!

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Just a side note Fairland beat Huntington High ( Defending AAA Champs by by 13. Capital High School out of Charleston ( Runner up in AAA last year)beat Huntington by 8 and Logan beat Capital by 18 . Capital lost to Parkersburg South ( #1 in AAA) by 3 . Logan goes to Parkersburg South soon . Both Fairland and Logan pretty good and represents the SE pretty darn good . These match ups are fantastic. I do not want to leave Oak Hill out because year in and year out they are really good . I thought early on that THE Shermans would be Logans toughest game along with Capital but I 'm going to circle the Parkersburg South game at PS . Lots of good games coming up! Can the Shermans crack the top 3?

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Oaktown wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:12 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:11 pm
Oaktown wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Oak Hill beat Gallia Academy in the first contest of the year in the foundation game.

I'm not sure why Oak Hill gets no respect on this forum. They have lost one regular season game in two years now. How many other teams on this list can say that? Other than one bad shooting night at the convo and some home cooking in Burg, this Oak Hill team has played pretty excellent basketball. I'm not disputing the two teams Pfloyd has ranked ahead of Oak Hill, but to question them against the teams behind them is ludicrous.
I think oak hill a better team then Gallia probably but not based off that foundation game. The blue devils have yet to run anything except for inbound pass out of the offense they played in foundation game. That was by far not all the blue devils had. But not sure no matter how it played out blue devils would win.

I’d have Oak Hill firmly at #3. Last doesn’t help or hurt any team for this year. I would bet OH over Gallia every time right now...but I wouldn’t give any credit for a foundation game. It just doesn’t count.

Oak Hill’s 5 are able to hang with anyone with Norm assisting. Addition of Darby was huge of course giving them at least a decent matchup with Logan and Fairland...but I’d bet Logan and Fairland over OH.

Doesn’t mean anything, just discussion. A district championship this year is simply a must. Burg and Portsmouth maybe only teams even remotely close.
I would agree with all of that except for the foundation game not meaning anything. In a normal year against an average opponent I would say this is an accurate statement. However, in a year with all of the Gallia Academy hype playing a team of the caliber of Oak Hill they brought everything they had. Neither coach (with their history) wanted to lose that game for prides sake. Not to mention, that game and the game against Fairland were the two they had something to prove.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Sorry about that I agree oak hill probably better then blue devils. But I don’t believe any of that because of foundation game. Blue devils played a offense they have not played since. Plus before season started I think we thought we had a fairly tough schedule. Then meigs and Athens have such poor starts the schedule has not been great.

What I will say is now this team is done with the distraction of Peck no Peck they can settle on a style and finally advance.

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

svac83 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 pm Sorry about that I agree oak hill probably better then blue devils. But I don’t believe any of that because of foundation game. Blue devils played a offense they have not played since. Plus before season started I think we thought we had a fairly tough schedule. Then meigs and Athens have such poor starts the schedule has not been great.

What I will say is now this team is done with the distraction of Peck no Peck they can settle on a style and finally advance.
I won't disagree that Peck had his fair share of issues off the court. Not allowing him to stay on the team is the right thing to do. However, I think Gallia Academy is going to miss his offensive production. There were a couple of games this season that Harrison was forced to play him after he missed practice all week just to stay in the game (which sets a terrible example).

Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

Fairfield Union might actually play a game tonight!!!!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Oaktown wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:24 pm
svac83 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 pm Sorry about that I agree oak hill probably better then blue devils. But I don’t believe any of that because of foundation game. Blue devils played a offense they have not played since. Plus before season started I think we thought we had a fairly tough schedule. Then meigs and Athens have such poor starts the schedule has not been great.

I won't disagree that Peck had his fair share of issues off the court. Not allowing him to stay on the team is the right thing to do. However, I think Gallia Academy is going to miss his offensive production. There were a couple of games this season that Harrison was forced to play him after he missed practice all week just to stay in the game (which sets a terrible example).
I find it hard to believe that there is any truth to this. I don’t know all the facts but in 10 regular season games he only dressed for 6 Out of those 6 there are at least 3 others he played 2 quarters or less. In the other 3 games one was blowout to fairland and I know he has been to practice all week. That leaves 2 games. One game I know he was at practice all week for. Because I saw him out there leaving or entering when I was out there working on some things. The other game maybe but that game really wasn’t close.

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

svac83 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:31 am

I find it hard to believe that there is any truth to this. I don’t know all the facts but in 10 regular season games he only dressed for 6 Out of those 6 there are at least 3 others he played 2 quarters or less. In the other 3 games one was blowout to fairland and I know he has been to practice all week. That leaves 2 games. One game I know he was at practice all week for. Because I saw him out there leaving or entering when I was out there working on some things. The other game maybe but that game really wasn’t close.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he dropped 20 in the second half of basketball in one of their games for this very reason.

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

Oaktown wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:13 am
svac83 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:31 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he dropped 20 in the second half of basketball in one of their games for this very reason.

Rumor has it he missed 48 days of school before Christmas. I'm not sure how a kid with that many absences is even on the floor unless you need him to be.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”