Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week - Official Pre-Season Rankings

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week - Official Pre-Season Rankings

Post by formerfcfan »

bman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:04 pm New Hope would be a good fit for the Mid-State League's Cardinal Division, but they are full.
Sorry, but I don’t agree. Their athletics are awful and their facilities are horrendous. It would just make a complete joke of the MSL for them to come in.

Additionally, one of the hiccups with New Hope Christian is often times they have students that are either homeschooled or intentionally held back for whatever reason. That means they have freshmen who can be 16, seniors who can be 19. Now, while OHSAA allows kids to play until they’re 20, the population of families that support New Hope (by virtue of sending their kids there) largely believe kids should start later - not on time, or sooner. With NHC participating in the Christian school equivalent of the OHSAA (I forget what it’s called), that isn’t an issue because that consortium has looser eligibility rules.

A friend of mine coached 7th grade girls basketball for Fisher (St. Mary’s) a few years ago. Because it was hard to find games, given that the majority of the MSL-Cardinal only had combined 7th and 8th grade teams (therefore they’d play the 8th grade team) they took New Hope on to fill a spot. The New Hope team was a 6th, 7th, and 8th grade combined team. Three grades. And they only had eight girls across those three grades playing. SM’s beat them 27-4, and, according to my buddy, their coach was a complete jerk.

They should just do the MOCAL.
Last edited by formerfcfan on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week - Official Pre-Season Rankings

Post by Snowman »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:28 am
bman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:04 pm New Hope would be a good fit for the Mid-State League's Cardinal Division, but they are full.
Sorry, but I don’t agree. Their athletics are awful and their facilities are horrendous. It would just make a complete joke of the MSL for them to come in.
I don't want to start a squabble, but I thought their gym was nice. Yes the building is attached to the church, but I would hardly call the facilities "horrendous."

I do agree that I don't think they would be a great fit right now. They would probably fit with the MOCAL based on size and lack of basic sports (like baseball and not co-ed soccer). They need to show some consistency and build their program just like all new schools, but in 5-10 years if they grow I'd think they would have more sports teams and be in a much better spot. So if the situation is re-evaluated and maybe Wellington and or Harvest Prep leaves for a more competitive conference, I would think New Hope would be a nice addition.

As far as basketball goes, I'd be willing to bet they would finish in the top 5 of the D4 Central District tournament if they were OHSAA. They went 22-3 last year and 17-6 the year before, playing decent competition for their size. I suppose it could be possible that it's just a great senior class and that the other sports aren't up to snuff, but at least with basketball it seems like they've really done well to start their high school resume.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I just added more to my post. Gym is okay, but outdoor facilities aren’t great.

The main issue for them competitively is how well, and how sustainable, athletics are in terms of OHSAA age eligibility as well as numbers. Frankly, I dont think a school like FC or GCC has any interest in taking them on board.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

^Very good points. I have not been to the outdoor facilities so I'm sure you're absolutely right.

And that's very true on sustainability. Several good years from one sport does not make them a viable school for a well-established conference. These first few years they definitely have pumped up their basketball team with homeschoolers. I know two years ago they had 3 seniors on a team when the school didn't even have a senior class. Undoubtedly that has helped their basketball team.

And as someone associated with the MOCAL, I definitely agree that they are well suited for the MOCAL (only 2 or 3 teams have separate 7th and 8th grade basketball teams). It doesn't seem like the MOCAL wants them either based on travel time and that there seems to be an attitude issue among many of their players/coaches. Maybe they would be better off going South and East instead of trying to head North.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I just created a thread for the topic Snowman and I were discussing (plus the topic of a couple bman posts.)While I like the topic, I think most SEOPs users aren't interested in reading it on the Pfloyd thread. It can be located here.

Would a mod be so kind to move the posts on this thread pertinent to the topic of New Hope Christian and the MSL-Cardinal/MOCAL to the thread linked? That way this thread can get cleaned up and back on topic. Thanks!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia ! - how did the scrimmage go between tghe U and Athens tonight ?

... I went Sheridan on Saturday to see my Purple & White take on the Shermans, Licking Heights , Cambridge ... the Chiefs looked good for their first time vs opponents other than themselves ! ... the starting 5 are as good as anyone - all with solid varsity experience ... I saw a group of basketball mature players for the Chiefs in the starting group ... lots of scoring potential from the perimeter, I still need to see how they handle a team with bigs in the paint ... I wanted to see a good match-up with Sheridan but the 2 didn't tangle until they both had played three 20 minutes running clock games already ... Sheridan mixed up their lineup as did LHS ... Logan took the head to head I watched by 8 points ... Sheridan has a couple of "big boys" in the paint - one preferred to play outside the other looked to be a raw talent BUT big & strong - he'll make BIG strides before the end of the season ... Sheridan will be a very good ball club this season - balanced inside/outside game with the potential to be extremely tough on the boards with the 2 bigs on the floor together ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:00 am After seeing Portsmouth on Saturday, they are way too low.

In really exited about this years team,not to take anything from last years kids,but this year imo,will be a much better team.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:01 pm danicalifornia ! - how did the scrimmage go between tghe U and Athens tonight ?

... I went Sheridan on Saturday to see my Purple & White take on the Shermans, Licking Heights , Cambridge ... the Chiefs looked good for their first time vs opponents other than themselves ! ... the starting 5 are as good as anyone - all with solid varsity experience ... I saw a group of basketball mature players for the Chiefs in the starting group ... lots of scoring potential from the perimeter, I still need to see how they handle a team with bigs in the paint ... I wanted to see a good match-up with Sheridan but the 2 didn't tangle until they both had played three 20 minutes running clock games already ... Sheridan mixed up their lineup as did LHS ... Logan took the head to head I watched by 8 points ... Sheridan has a couple of "big boys" in the paint - one preferred to play outside the other looked to be a raw talent BUT big & strong - he'll make BIG strides before the end of the season ... Sheridan will be a very good ball club this season - balanced inside/outside game with the potential to be extremely tough on the boards with the 2 bigs on the floor together ...

Unioto looked really good with their main rotation players on. The new guys started to find their footing before struggling big time in the final quarter against WCH. Unioto won all 3 quarters against Athens, all by pretty large margins. But, Athens then beat WCH in the 2 quarters that I watched.

Athens appeared to struggle with Unioto's length and athleticism. Outside of Eli Chubb and a solid big on the inside (didn't have a # on his practice jersey) they struggled to score the ball too. I'm sure that will come around throughout the season. They definitely will bother some teams with their length and pressure.

WCH is very athletic, but small in stature overall. They'll be a bear to deal with this season if they can find a consistent scorer.

Good overall scrimmage for all 3 with lots to work on.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:00 pm
pfloyd wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:01 pm danicalifornia ! - how did the scrimmage go between tghe U and Athens tonight ?

Unioto looked really good with their main rotation players on. The new guys started to find their footing before struggling big time in the final quarter against WCH. Unioto won all 3 quarters against Athens, all by pretty large margins. But, Athens then beat WCH in the 2 quarters that I watched.

Athens appeared to struggle with Unioto's length and athleticism. Outside of Eli Chubb and a solid big on the inside (didn't have a # on his practice jersey) they struggled to score the ball too. I'm sure that will come around throughout the season. They definitely will bother some teams with their length and pressure.

WCH is very athletic, but small in stature overall. They'll be a bear to deal with this season if they can find a consistent scorer.

Good overall scrimmage for all 3 with lots to work on.
Unioto is the Real Deal. Many experienced players and well coached. Their on the ball defense is second to none. Athens is still working on their Identity after the loss of All-Ohio PG Griffin Lutz a 20 plus PPG player. They have a few "kinks" to work out-this was their 2nd Scrimmage, they had Belpre Last Saturday and looked real good-they will soon Mesh and be a Formidable TEAM. They are going to be Fine. I don't take much stock in the Results of these Scrimmages. Basically they are a great Tool used to prepare the team for the Season. For what it's worth the Athens Coach made a lot more substitutions with his bench players than Unioto did. Which I think is a good thing. Those bench players need to get in there and get some Work as well. The Big Inside was Junior Justin Hynes. Look for big things from him this Year. Next Scrimmage for Athens is At Portsmouth on Saturday morning.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

The Tanks are the real deal . They could go far this year. Look for a 20 plus win season . As far as Athens going to their bench more it was posted that they have a balance group that would be inter changeable . Athens will have to settle on a rotation that benefits their style . Tanks will not go very deep , maybe 6 or 7 to be successful. Good luck to all !

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Truth&fiction wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:07 am The Tanks are the real deal . They could go far this year. Look for a 20 plus win season . As far as Athens going to their bench more it was posted that they have a balance group that would be inter changeable . Athens will have to settle on a rotation that benefits their style . Tanks will not go very deep , maybe 6 or 7 to be successful. Good luck to all !
I think Unioto's depth is why I am no sold on them. They have 4 nice starters but then I couldn't tell you who is going to step up as the 5th starter and 1-2 off the bench. I watched their JV last year multiple times and I didn't see anyone who jumped out. I did hear that there was a kid dealing with medical issues and he was sidelined a lot. Taller boy, black hair. i can see his face but i don't know the name.
Then again I have not seen them or any team this year for that matter. How much did Swack, Kennedy, Hill and Fisher improve in the off season? That's the big question. Did they all take the next step towards their senior year or did they peak two years ago?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Athens will be an excellent basketball TEAM by seasons end - the post season ... they will obviously need to have ALL of the players settle into their own roles for TEAM - no one will take the place of Griffin Lutz just as no one will take the place of a Tristan Bartoe for Vinton County both teams will have players who will contribute to filling the voids left by these 2 quality PGs/floor generals ... I told 93dog over the early summer that I felt that Athens will go as far as their Bigs will carry them on the inside - Eli Chubb & Justin Hynes both 6-3 juniors ... 2 strong inside players , both have great foot work, both are athletes ! Both need to be worked into the offensive scheme - which I'm sure they will by Coach Cozart ... others who have varsity experience who are strong as well Logan Maxfield ANOTHER 6-3 strong junior ... I thought I read on another thread that Robert Dinkelman is not playing basketball this season ? - he fits into the strong inside presence being 6-3 with football strength, Treyce Albin will be an excellent threat for Athens ... Athens DID HAVE a very good JV team which will have players moving up to shore up what will be a very deep bench for the Bulldogs ... the perimeter players Saltzman and Cozart are good hs basketball players, not outstanding but they don't have to be - they need to be consistent - able to handle pressure, get the ball into the post while being a "threat" to score from the perimeter, Cozart has the quicks to get to the rim as well ... imo the strength of the AHS team & their ultimate success lies in the paint with their 6-3 BIGS - Chubb/Hynes/Maxfield/Dinkelman (if he plays) ... we'll see early and often as Athens will be tested with Gallia Academy, Logan in their first couple of weeks of action ...

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Last edited by biggdowgg on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

biggdowgg wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:28 pm Looks like a trip down the road on Saturday morning to catch the Trojan's scrimmage with Athens to see how well we do against them,sounds like they are a very good team

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:58 pm Athens will be an excellent basketball TEAM by seasons end - the post season ... they will obviously need to have ALL of the players settle into their own roles for TEAM - no one will take the place of Griffin Lutz just as no one will take the place of a Tristan Bartoe for Vinton County both teams will have players who will contribute to filling the voids left by these 2 quality PGs/floor generals ... I told 93dog over the early summer that I felt that Athens will go as far as their Bigs will carry them on the inside - Eli Chubb & Justin Hynes both 6-3 juniors ... 2 strong inside players , both have great foot work, both are athletes ! Both need to be worked into the offensive scheme - which I'm sure they will by Coach Cozart ... others who have varsity experience who are strong as well Logan Maxfield ANOTHER 6-3 strong junior ... I thought I read on another thread that Robert Dinkelman is not playing basketball this season ? - he fits into the strong inside presence being 6-3 with football strength, Treyce Albin will be an excellent threat for Athens ... Athens DID HAVE a very good JV team which will have players moving up to shore up what will be a very deep bench for the Bulldogs ... the perimeter players Saltzman and Cozart are good hs basketball players, not outstanding but they don't have to be - they need to be consistent - able to handle pressure, get the ball into the post while being a "threat" to score from the perimeter, Cozart has the quicks to get to the rim as well ... imo the strength of the AHS team & their ultimate success lies in the paint with their 6-3 BIGS - Chubb/Hynes/Maxfield/Dinkelman (if he plays) ... we'll see early and often as Athens will be tested with Gallia Academy, Logan in their first couple of weeks of action ...

Dickelman was at the Scrimmage at Unioto. Glad to see him suiting up. He can be a matchup nightmare for opposing teams with his Athleticism. I agree with most of your observations. I would like to add that another big Inside presence will be Center Sophomore Isiah Butcher. Other key role players include Guards Henry Gehrig, and Austin Koska and Power Forward Nathan Whitehead. Excited for the Season to get underway.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

You can't mention 'bigs' for Athens without adding Butcher, Floyd.

6'3, 6'4 280lbs.

;)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Watched scrimmage tonight with Jackson/South Point and Piketon....very early and rusty but I’d have South Point a tiny bithigher than you have them and Jackson a little lower than you have them.

Scrimmages don’t count but you get to see a lot

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:27 pm You can't mention 'bigs' for Athens without adding Butcher, Floyd.

6'3, 6'4 280lbs.

;)
Only 280? That kid is a big boy lol showed nice hustle throughout and is going to be tough to keep off the glass.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:25 pm
pfloyd wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:58 pm Athens will be an excellent basketball TEAM by seasons end - the post season ... they will obviously need to have ALL of the players settle into their own roles for TEAM - no one will take the place of Griffin Lutz just as no one will take the place of a Tristan Bartoe for Vinton County both teams will have players who will contribute to filling the voids left by these 2 quality PGs/floor generals ... I told 93dog over the early summer that I felt that Athens will go as far as their Bigs will carry them on the inside - Eli Chubb & Justin Hynes both 6-3 juniors ... 2 strong inside players , both have great foot work, both are athletes ! Both need to be worked into the offensive scheme - which I'm sure they will by Coach Cozart ... others who have varsity experience who are strong as well Logan Maxfield ANOTHER 6-3 strong junior ... I thought I read on another thread that Robert Dinkelman is not playing basketball this season ? - he fits into the strong inside presence being 6-3 with football strength, Treyce Albin will be an excellent threat for Athens ... Athens DID HAVE a very good JV team which will have players moving up to shore up what will be a very deep bench for the Bulldogs ... the perimeter players Saltzman and Cozart are good hs basketball players, not outstanding but they don't have to be - they need to be consistent - able to handle pressure, get the ball into the post while being a "threat" to score from the perimeter, Cozart has the quicks to get to the rim as well ... imo the strength of the AHS team & their ultimate success lies in the paint with their 6-3 BIGS - Chubb/Hynes/Maxfield/Dinkelman (if he plays) ... we'll see early and often as Athens will be tested with Gallia Academy, Logan in their first couple of weeks of action ...

Dickelman was at the Scrimmage at Unioto. Glad to see him suiting up. He can be a matchup nightmare for opposing teams with his Athleticism. I agree with most of your observations. I would like to add that another big Inside presence will be Center Sophomore Isiah Butcher. Other key role players include Guards Henry Gehrig, and Austin Koska and Power Forward Nathan Whitehead. Excited for the Season to get underway.
I know it's a little early but who are the projected starters. Hynes and Butcher is who I thought was the bigs and I thought Chubbs hung out around the 3 point line . Cozart should be the money player . He will get a lot of attention. Who's stepping up at the PG?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Truth&fiction wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:39 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:25 pm

I know it's a little early but who are the projected starters. Hynes and Butcher is who I thought was the bigs and I thought Chubbs hung out around the 3 point line . Cozart should be the money player . He will get a lot of attention. Who's stepping up at the PG?
Micah Saltzman is the PG. Transfer named Elijah who I forgot to mention looks to be his backup. I would classify Chubb a Wing. As far as starters go. I'm really not sure. A lot of different combinations are Available. We will know Come December 1st.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”