Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week - Official Pre-Season Rankings

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week - Official Pre-Season Rankings

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Truth&fiction wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:07 am The Tanks are the real deal . They could go far this year. Look for a 20 plus win season . As far as Athens going to their bench more it was posted that they have a balance group that would be inter changeable . Athens will have to settle on a rotation that benefits their style . Tanks will not go very deep , maybe 6 or 7 to be successful. Good luck to all !
I think Unioto's depth is why I am no sold on them. They have 4 nice starters but then I couldn't tell you who is going to step up as the 5th starter and 1-2 off the bench. I watched their JV last year multiple times and I didn't see anyone who jumped out. I did hear that there was a kid dealing with medical issues and he was sidelined a lot. Taller boy, black hair. i can see his face but i don't know the name.
Then again I have not seen them or any team this year for that matter. How much did Swack, Kennedy, Hill and Fisher improve in the off season? That's the big question. Did they all take the next step towards their senior year or did they peak two years ago?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week - Official Pre-Season Rankings

Post by pfloyd »

Athens will be an excellent basketball TEAM by seasons end - the post season ... they will obviously need to have ALL of the players settle into their own roles for TEAM - no one will take the place of Griffin Lutz just as no one will take the place of a Tristan Bartoe for Vinton County both teams will have players who will contribute to filling the voids left by these 2 quality PGs/floor generals ... I told 93dog over the early summer that I felt that Athens will go as far as their Bigs will carry them on the inside - Eli Chubb & Justin Hynes both 6-3 juniors ... 2 strong inside players , both have great foot work, both are athletes ! Both need to be worked into the offensive scheme - which I'm sure they will by Coach Cozart ... others who have varsity experience who are strong as well Logan Maxfield ANOTHER 6-3 strong junior ... I thought I read on another thread that Robert Dinkelman is not playing basketball this season ? - he fits into the strong inside presence being 6-3 with football strength, Treyce Albin will be an excellent threat for Athens ... Athens DID HAVE a very good JV team which will have players moving up to shore up what will be a very deep bench for the Bulldogs ... the perimeter players Saltzman and Cozart are good hs basketball players, not outstanding but they don't have to be - they need to be consistent - able to handle pressure, get the ball into the post while being a "threat" to score from the perimeter, Cozart has the quicks to get to the rim as well ... imo the strength of the AHS team & their ultimate success lies in the paint with their 6-3 BIGS - Chubb/Hynes/Maxfield/Dinkelman (if he plays) ... we'll see early and often as Athens will be tested with Gallia Academy, Logan in their first couple of weeks of action ...

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Last edited by biggdowgg on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

biggdowgg wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:28 pm Looks like a trip down the road on Saturday morning to catch the Trojan's scrimmage with Athens to see how well we do against them,sounds like they are a very good team

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:58 pm Athens will be an excellent basketball TEAM by seasons end - the post season ... they will obviously need to have ALL of the players settle into their own roles for TEAM - no one will take the place of Griffin Lutz just as no one will take the place of a Tristan Bartoe for Vinton County both teams will have players who will contribute to filling the voids left by these 2 quality PGs/floor generals ... I told 93dog over the early summer that I felt that Athens will go as far as their Bigs will carry them on the inside - Eli Chubb & Justin Hynes both 6-3 juniors ... 2 strong inside players , both have great foot work, both are athletes ! Both need to be worked into the offensive scheme - which I'm sure they will by Coach Cozart ... others who have varsity experience who are strong as well Logan Maxfield ANOTHER 6-3 strong junior ... I thought I read on another thread that Robert Dinkelman is not playing basketball this season ? - he fits into the strong inside presence being 6-3 with football strength, Treyce Albin will be an excellent threat for Athens ... Athens DID HAVE a very good JV team which will have players moving up to shore up what will be a very deep bench for the Bulldogs ... the perimeter players Saltzman and Cozart are good hs basketball players, not outstanding but they don't have to be - they need to be consistent - able to handle pressure, get the ball into the post while being a "threat" to score from the perimeter, Cozart has the quicks to get to the rim as well ... imo the strength of the AHS team & their ultimate success lies in the paint with their 6-3 BIGS - Chubb/Hynes/Maxfield/Dinkelman (if he plays) ... we'll see early and often as Athens will be tested with Gallia Academy, Logan in their first couple of weeks of action ...

Dickelman was at the Scrimmage at Unioto. Glad to see him suiting up. He can be a matchup nightmare for opposing teams with his Athleticism. I agree with most of your observations. I would like to add that another big Inside presence will be Center Sophomore Isiah Butcher. Other key role players include Guards Henry Gehrig, and Austin Koska and Power Forward Nathan Whitehead. Excited for the Season to get underway.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

You can't mention 'bigs' for Athens without adding Butcher, Floyd.

6'3, 6'4 280lbs.

;)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Watched scrimmage tonight with Jackson/South Point and Piketon....very early and rusty but I’d have South Point a tiny bithigher than you have them and Jackson a little lower than you have them.

Scrimmages don’t count but you get to see a lot

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:27 pm You can't mention 'bigs' for Athens without adding Butcher, Floyd.

6'3, 6'4 280lbs.

;)
Only 280? That kid is a big boy lol showed nice hustle throughout and is going to be tough to keep off the glass.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:25 pm
pfloyd wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:58 pm Athens will be an excellent basketball TEAM by seasons end - the post season ... they will obviously need to have ALL of the players settle into their own roles for TEAM - no one will take the place of Griffin Lutz just as no one will take the place of a Tristan Bartoe for Vinton County both teams will have players who will contribute to filling the voids left by these 2 quality PGs/floor generals ... I told 93dog over the early summer that I felt that Athens will go as far as their Bigs will carry them on the inside - Eli Chubb & Justin Hynes both 6-3 juniors ... 2 strong inside players , both have great foot work, both are athletes ! Both need to be worked into the offensive scheme - which I'm sure they will by Coach Cozart ... others who have varsity experience who are strong as well Logan Maxfield ANOTHER 6-3 strong junior ... I thought I read on another thread that Robert Dinkelman is not playing basketball this season ? - he fits into the strong inside presence being 6-3 with football strength, Treyce Albin will be an excellent threat for Athens ... Athens DID HAVE a very good JV team which will have players moving up to shore up what will be a very deep bench for the Bulldogs ... the perimeter players Saltzman and Cozart are good hs basketball players, not outstanding but they don't have to be - they need to be consistent - able to handle pressure, get the ball into the post while being a "threat" to score from the perimeter, Cozart has the quicks to get to the rim as well ... imo the strength of the AHS team & their ultimate success lies in the paint with their 6-3 BIGS - Chubb/Hynes/Maxfield/Dinkelman (if he plays) ... we'll see early and often as Athens will be tested with Gallia Academy, Logan in their first couple of weeks of action ...

Dickelman was at the Scrimmage at Unioto. Glad to see him suiting up. He can be a matchup nightmare for opposing teams with his Athleticism. I agree with most of your observations. I would like to add that another big Inside presence will be Center Sophomore Isiah Butcher. Other key role players include Guards Henry Gehrig, and Austin Koska and Power Forward Nathan Whitehead. Excited for the Season to get underway.
I know it's a little early but who are the projected starters. Hynes and Butcher is who I thought was the bigs and I thought Chubbs hung out around the 3 point line . Cozart should be the money player . He will get a lot of attention. Who's stepping up at the PG?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Truth&fiction wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:39 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:25 pm

I know it's a little early but who are the projected starters. Hynes and Butcher is who I thought was the bigs and I thought Chubbs hung out around the 3 point line . Cozart should be the money player . He will get a lot of attention. Who's stepping up at the PG?
Micah Saltzman is the PG. Transfer named Elijah who I forgot to mention looks to be his backup. I would classify Chubb a Wing. As far as starters go. I'm really not sure. A lot of different combinations are Available. We will know Come December 1st.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Thanks Vision, Good luck to your team.

Killer Krossover
Waterboy

Post by Killer Krossover »

Unioto/WCH/Athens scrimmage: was a good scrimmage for all three and sure all coaches have areas to work on. WCh did play very hard. Athens will be a tough out in the tournament come early spring; they have size and nice consistency; Unioto is as good 1-5 as anyone; I expect that from a Hoops team. I do agree with the post about their 5-10 off bench; who do they turn to? However, their first 5 is as tough as anyone in SE Ohio.

Jackson/S. Point/ Piketon scrimmage:
Jackson definitely missing the injured players. Several players I saw this summer not playing. Too bad because this team played well in summer; tonight the lack of depth showed.

South Point- played hard all night long; struggled early against Piketon's pressure. Their PG is a nice player; they have some strong kids, and I like how hard they play. Truthfully, they remind me of a true South Point team.

Piketon- won first two quarters. They were flying to ball early on when they pressed. Then their legs wore down it appeared, which happens this early in season. They still were without two starters with injuries. Going to be a nice team out of SVC.

Not sure about South Point and Jackson, but did hear them say Piketon will be scrimmaging at Logan Elm on Saturday.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Like last year, Logan will be headed to Thomas Worthington for a scrimmage on Friday. Last year there was on oodle of Central Ohio teams there, I'm not sure who will be there this year. But, it should be a nice test in a number of scrimmages on Friday for the Chiefs.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Let me make some things clear on my earlier statement. It sounded after reading it that I may not 'be sold" on Unioto.

Some back thought:
Unioto is going to win the SVC. They are a very good ball team. Their 1-4 i mentioned could rival anyone in the area really with matchups man to man.
I guess what i was already assuming and jumping to is that anything less than a district title in frenchtown would be a disappointment this year and idk if i see it happening. This stretch of Unioto basketball is a good one. I believe 1 district title? But they yearn for it every year and I think they expect to get there. As they should they are darn good and are consistently in pfloyds top 8.

Idk why i made this post? lol its 7am at work and I'm just getting my coffee. CAN'T wait for round ball! And as our 'rival', i cant wait for 12/22!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Good Stuff everyone ! great to hear about the early scrimmages ... I try to get to a few of the scrimmages - just to see if my "thoughts" on teams are correct ... the team shooting, offenses I don't put a lot of "this is what it will be during the season" emphasis on - the O always gets better when the real tip-off happens ... I DO look at the athletes, the depth of the teams , the fundamentals on both ends, obviously the size, quickness and handles on the guard play ... scrimmages are where the coaches are finding chemistry, looking for those 6,7 & 8 players who will contribute as role players ...

... I'm excited to see the early season match-ups this season - Logan @ the U to open things up on Friday 12/1 then I will stop in to the ZT Tip Off Classic on the way home as Vinton County is opening with Bloom Carroll at 8:30 the same night !

IronOak
Waterboy

Post by IronOak »

Love this time of year and watching area teams compete. Just wanted to mention a Scrimmage taking place Saturday: Warren Harding, Kettering Fairmont and Oak Hill will be traveling to Massillion Jackson for early season matchups. Good luck and healthy wishes this season to all area players.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

If Minford can find a consistent scorer, I think that they will make a nice rise up the rankings. Good size and excellent ball pressure. Should be a solid team in SOC2 and in D3 this season.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Watched the Groveport Madison vs Logan scrimmage this morning at LHS ... Logan looked like they had played in an 8 team scrimmage at Thomas Worthington last night ... looked to have some tired legs ... I was talking and watching at the same time LOL ... in the quarters I watched both teams looked evenly matched GM is very quick with some good perimeter scorers , GM doesn't have size but lots of quick hands/feet at both ends of the floor ... Logan looked sluggish to me both Myers and Landis were able to take advantage of their size and get to the rim ... once you get by Landis ,Myers, Bell x 2 the Chiefs will need to get scoring from the next 3 role players Brooks, Little , Cassady - the potential is there ! all 3 perimeter players (Brook/Little/Cassady) CAN score but haven't figured out WHEN to take it to the rim, when to get THEIR own shot from the outside yet - all three need to be at least a threat, at least to get" print in the scouting reports" or teams will double down on Landis/Myers on the inside forcing those kids to give it up or force bad shots ... not seeing a consistent inside threat or anyone who will be giving solid minutes when Landis goes out - going to need the size off the bench to give good minutes in the paint ...

... I read on facebook that Logan had a solid scrimmage at Thomas Worthington - Eastmoor was there - a good 8 team scrimmage ... THAT will make today's "sluggish" /dead leg look happen LOL - I don't know how kids do it LOL ... BUT I'm glad THEY do it ! love watching these kids play Logan will have a 16-17+ win season imo

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Just watched Southeastern, Whiteoak, South Gallia play each other 3 quarters each.

Whiteoak was 2-1 vs SE and 3-0 vs SG

Guessing Whiteoak as a high 40’s team in the rankings. Jr guard Traeton Hamilton is a nice all around player. Very athletic.

South Gallia struggled

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

I like your top 8 this year Pfloyd, all very deserving programs. It's good to see our Oaks in the pre-season Top 5.

The Oaks travelled to the home of the Polar Bears of Jackson Massilon today to see how they faired with the big D1 boys from up North.

They held there own winning both quarters against Kettering Fairmont, split quarters with Warren Harding and split quarters with Jackson Massilon.

It's very early, but the Oaks looked pretty good for only their second pre-season outing.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”