Miller (2-3)
Green (1-4)
Symmes Valley (1-5)

...Teams on the End Table...

Crooksville (0-5)
70Whiteoak (0-4)
Jackson (0-7)
New Boston (0-6)

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #2

Post by danicalifornia »

I can't argue this. Athens and Portsmouth have done nothing to drop below my Shermans to this point.

I do believe that Minford should move into the Elite 8, but I think they will do it throughout the season. Good to see the SVC as well represented as they have been in quite a while.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

daniC … the committee of one - me - looked long and hard at moving the Shermans into the #2 spot this week BUT Athens has not slid backwards … man handling Meigs and Wellston then going into Vinton County winning convincingly imo vs a good VC squad … the SVC provides some great match ups every night it seems this season !!! … patience is a virtue LOL … UHS needs to keep taking care of "bidness" …

… I'll be looking at seeing Unioto again soon …

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… we do have games on Monday 12/22 in SEOhio …

Portsmouth East vs St Joseph
Whitehall vs South Point
Ironton vs Waverly

… if there are others please post them so I can add them to TEAM records etc. …

newkidsontheblock
Waterboy

Post by newkidsontheblock »

Watched MT @ LE on Saturday. Elm has some issues offensively given there is only one consistent scorer and he is "young" no pun intended. The smith kid inside has a motor and will be a good player for them. They will be a .500 or slightly higher team this year. However I would not bet against them in any game they play! Lots of long armed kids that play aggressive D. Teams should not go into that game to cocky against a unusually average LE team. This team just solidifies Stiversons ability to get the most out of kids.

Now to my REAL reason for the post!! MT ranked a little high imo.. 2 very athlectic players with the Pettifords, but it ends there. Offense gearded around Big pettiford in the post and lil pettiford shooting the 3. No other real threats to score. Their offensive sets seemed very disorganized and the kids seemed confused. The coach screaming "don't you know the offense" kinda confirmed my previous thought. Defense was kinda the same. Seemed they didn't know who they were suppose to guard at times. Any kind of scouting report would answer that for ya. They played more aggressive D in the second half but the press was defeated pretty easy by an average LE squad... Just an opinion and I will bow to the committee of 1....

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

PFloyd my Warriors sitting at #5 is perfect. Lots of good games on the schedule with plenty of chances to prove to "The Committee of One" that they DESERVE that #1 spot. Portsmouth is deserving the the #1 spot. A talented vetern ballclub with plent of firepower. Of the top 5 teams Athens is most suspect IMO. The Bullpuppies lack of debth at the guard position will be their "Achilles heel" Teams built to run the floor and pressure the basketball with the ability to shoot over their vaunted 2-3 Zone defense will stand a good chance of getting a W.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote:daniC … the committee of one - me - looked long and hard at moving the Shermans into the #2 spot this week BUT Athens has not slid backwards … man handling Meigs and Wellston then going into Vinton County winning convincingly imo vs a good VC squad … the SVC provides some great match ups every night it seems this season !!! … patience is a virtue LOL … UHS needs to keep taking care of "bidness" …

… I'll be looking at seeing Unioto again soon …
I definitely understand. Athens has had a hot start after losing 2 key players and having the long football season.

Hopefully the Shermans can keep it up against a vastly improved league from a year ago. They face a WCH squad that has given them fits the last couple of years on Saturday night.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… a couple of more games for Monday 12/22 …

Marietta vs New Lexington
Portsmouth Clay @ Northwest

Chopper
Waterboy

Post by Chopper »

Pfloyd................Notre Dame is 4-1 not 3-2. They have wins over N Adams, N Boston, Green, and Huntington St Joe. Lost to Sciotoville East in OT.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

football life wrote:Watched MT @ LE on Saturday. Elm has some issues offensively given there is only one consistent scorer and he is "young" no pun intended. The smith kid inside has a motor and will be a good player for them. They will be a .500 or slightly higher team this year. However I would not bet against them in any game they play! Lots of long armed kids that play aggressive D. Teams should not go into that game to cocky against a unusually average LE team. This team just solidifies Stiversons ability to get the most out of kids.

Now to my REAL reason for the post!! MT ranked a little high imo.. 2 very athlectic players with the Pettifords, but it ends there. Offense gearded around Big pettiford in the post and lil pettiford shooting the 3. No other real threats to score. Their offensive sets seemed very disorganized and the kids seemed confused. The coach screaming "don't you know the offense" kinda confirmed my previous thought. Defense was kinda the same. Seemed they didn't know who they were suppose to guard at times. Any kind of scouting report would answer that for ya. They played more aggressive D in the second half but the press was defeated pretty easy by an average LE squad... Just an opinion and I will bow to the committee of 1....
Miami Trace was without Tyrae Pettiford, which hurt them against Logan Elm.

LE is a very inexperienced team this season, but I've been impressed with their early season strides and they will continue to get better as the season progresses as they attain more confidence. Coach Stiverson, Coach Holbert and company do an outstanding job with that team every season getting the most out of the kids.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Might have to move Warren up soon. Portsmouth seem to be struggling a bit.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

72-47 over GAHS
53-49 Over a good Logan team on their home floor
67-60 Over a good Coal Grove team on their home floor
67-34 over South Point
83-57 over Jackson
Yep we are struggling
12/26 Burg
12/27 Chilli to finish 2014 should be fun

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

In my 'TVC expert opinion' - Trimble should be ahead of every league team with the exception of Athens - and quite honestly a Trimble vs Athens match-up would be one heckuva game.

I've seen Alex, VC, Trimble, Athens ... The 'Cats are right on the 'Dogs heels, Floyd.

Look past that DIV label my friend, you can do it, always room for the 'little guy' at the top.

lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

MONDAY GAME:

Berne Union @ Federal Hocking

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

One thing is for certain, we're going to find out what the #2 team, Athens, is made of soon.

Next Monday at #8 Circleville.
A week later they travel back to roundtown to play #12 Logan Elm.
2 days later they will be at the Beasts of the Southeast in Chesapeake.
Then back-to-back games with county rivals Alexander & Nelsonville-York.
The next week they take on Bishop Watterson at the Convo.
3 days later a trip to the Warrior Dome!!!
4 days after Warren is a home date with Akron Saint Vincent Saint Mary.
3 days after ASVSM is a home date with Vinton County.
4 days after VC is a home game with Propel Pennsylvania.

That is a brutal stretch.

bballsvcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by bballsvcfan »

I still don't understand how Chillicothe stays in the Elite 8. It seems teams like Paint Valley, Adena, and Southeastern are getting overlooked a little bit.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

noreply66 wrote:Might have to move Warren up soon. Portsmouth seem to be struggling a bit.
Struggling? Name of the game is win....unless pfloyd giving style points :lol:

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

But warren is coming to p town soon they will have their shot to move up

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

biggdowgg wrote:
noreply66 wrote:Might have to move Warren up soon. Portsmouth seem to be struggling a bit.
Struggling? Name of the game is win....unless pfloyd giving style points :lol:

… biggdowgg !!! you KNOW it is going to come down to which school has the best hot dogs, and offers pfloyd a T-Shirt !!! LOL :lol:

… Portsmouth, Unioto, Athens ??? so far with their respective schedules they have all 3 held serve … no one has blinked … I've been trying to stay away from the "1a, 1b, " this year … so we are going to have some upset fans when in fact the rankings are even closer than the 1., 2., 3. etc. … all of the teams are getting into stretches where they WILL BE pushed to hold their rankings - Warren for example travels to Wheeling Park in their next game, 93dog laid out Athens tough road to stay at #2 facing Circleville on the road, Warren on the road, not to mention Akron SVSM, Bishop Watterson … Portsmouth will face Warren, Logan again, Chesapeake a couple of times, Chillicothe (minus Tommy Bolte) … Unioto in the SVC has to bring their "A" game every night it seems … the top rankings WILL shift for sure as the season rolls on …

… Chillicothe. Miami Trace, Circleville bringing up the final 3 spots in the Elite 8 … as I've posted before Chillicothe has been without Tommy Bolte (imo one of the BEST players SEO) for 4 games including a 3 point road loss to Miami Trace who played with all of the Pettifords on the court … Miami Trace has played minus one Pettiford for the last 2 games - Wilmington would beat every team in SEO by the 20 -30+ points they have been winning by - the Logan Elm game was a shorthanded game for MT as well … ALL 3 are good basketball teams - are they deserving of Elite 8? through 2 weeks I say yes … those on the Treehugger list are pushing them with Minford being looked at closely this past week - losing on a last second shot to Watterson 49-51 …

… a question was brought up about overlooking Paint Valley, Adena, Southeastern ??? … I look over no one … I've seen all 3 teams play - I LIKE them ALL … have told a number of coaches that I thought Paint Valley and Adena both have a couple of the most talented starting 5's that I have seen this season … talent on the court has to equate to "W's" in the big games … Paint Valley's best win to date is vs a 3-2 Westfall team - losing in both of their key match ups with Unioto and Southeastern … Southeastern's marque "W" is vs Paint Valley 52-44 so far … Adena's biggest win is vs Westfall , losing by 24 to Unioto in a chance to impress the committee …

… I like the overall strength of the SVC !!! I even look at "good losses" for teams up and down the rankings ( Logan moved up in losing to Unioto and Portsmouth after Week 1) … teams starting in the Elite 8 were there for reasons - not arbitrarily - returning players, coaching, etc. … I give them a little leeway to start the season - a "prove me wrong" attitude on my end BUT if teams don't come around and get it done … others who do show me they deserve to move up WILL …

93dog … Trimble IS moving up … Belpre, Miller, Crooksville - combined 4-12 so far … Coach Caldwell's boys HAVE my attention … I will get out to see them soon ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:93dog … Trimble IS moving up … Belpre, Miller, Crooksville - combined 4-12 so far … Coach Caldwell's boys HAVE my attention … I will get out an see them soon ...
Trimble did clobber a sneaky Belpre team that just beat Nelsonville-York in Buchtel ... And the 'Cats did it with a few practices under their belt.

Just sayin.

:mrgreen:

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”