Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #3

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
coach_k
JV Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #3

Post by coach_k »

The score that most surprises me is Athens 48, Marietta 38

What this tells me that Athens struggled without Burrows, imagine how much they will struggle without him and the Twins next year...I'd say this is the last year Athens will be making the Elite 8.

TVC Ohio will be very interesting with all the young teams coming in, and Athens just might very well be in the basement for a few years!!!

The General
All State

Post by The General »

I would still take the Bulldogs over your Marauders K in the near future....a Kight might be hard to overcome in the well being of your BB dreams...Wasnt he from Jackson?.. :lol: :lol:

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

You will be surprised of the turnaround in Meigs within 2 years...Freshmen and Sophomore Class is overflowing. And Kight is no longer there. ED FRY is now the Coach
Ed Fry has coached basketball at the high school and college levels for 30 years. He taught Athletic Leadership at Clemson University, and has designed the coaching education curriculum for the Masters of Sports Culture and Leadership at the University of Rio Grande. Ed is married to his wife of 32 years, Angela, and their son, Roman, was an All-American in football at Clemson University.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Roman was an Outstanding football player at Ironton and in the ACC at Clemson!... That is for sure... Good that you dont have a Kight!!.. Being honest. Good luck to your Marauders in Hoops and everything else!

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Minford puts a beat down on Chillicothe and Portsmouth loses to Chillicothe at home (granted Sky didn't play). But how can you keep a team in the top 3?

In my opinion Peebles would have handed Portsmouth an even bigger loss at the Wendy's classic, Peebles and Minford would have been the best match up of the weekend.

South Gallia getting beat by Notre Dame and still ways ahead of them.

Do you watch any of the games? Or just guess?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

JS7_22 wrote:Minford puts a beat down on Chillicothe and Portsmouth loses to Chillicothe at home (granted Sky didn't play). But how can you keep a team in the top 3?

In my opinion Peebles would have handed Portsmouth an even bigger loss at the Wendy's classic, Peebles and Minford would have been the best match up of the weekend.

South Gallia getting beat by Notre Dame and still ways ahead of them.

Do you watch any of the games? Or just guess?

I've watched a few games … and rely on my Ouija Board a great deal ...

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

It sure sounds like it. You may have bought a defective board though.

But honestly, what is your reasoning behind Ptown still ranked 3 after getting handed a large loss to Chillicothe, and Minford rolling Chillicothe?

Do you have a reason, or a way of determining why a team is where they are, strength of schedules. Because if you did, you would drop teams after losing. Until then, this ranking system is a joke.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Lol, how is one supposed to actually differentiate between the 72 teams? It's a ranking for fun and if you take it overly serious, you should probably take a step back and reevaluate some things.

Pfloyd has done rankings for years and is consistent with seeing a wide variety of teams every year, while most other attempts at a ranking system by others always seem to fall by the wayside after a week or 2.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

JS7_22 wrote:It sure sounds like it. You may have bought a defective board though.

But honestly, what is your reasoning behind Ptown still ranked 3 after getting handed a large loss to Chillicothe, and Minford rolling Chillicothe?

Do you have a reason, or a way of determining why a team is where they are, strength of schedules. Because if you did, you would drop teams after losing. Until then, this ranking system is a joke.
He gives a lot of "full strength weight" into his rankings.....it'll end up where many believe it should.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

These aren't easy....Oak Hill at 6-2....loses to 3-4 Northwest...but then winless Jackson beats Northwest by 15. I don't expect Jackson to be above NW or NW to be above OH. All part of each team's resume. Pfloyd always drops the big boys a little slower when major players are out or injured

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

JS7_22 … I've explained numerous times what goes into the rankings every week - it is work trying to be "fair & balanced" … strength of schedule ALONE "ain't" going to get it done !!! you threw out Porstmouth Notre Dame beating South Gallia - 1 game out of 22 games … Notre Dame's schedule isn't going to get them running up the rankings - they are 1-2 vs the best teams on their schedule -so far losing to East and Peebles (East is middle of the 72 teams) other wins include New Boston/Green/ North Adams … Notre Dame did move up 7 positions with the win while South Gallia dropped 16 positions …

* Portsmouth (the consensus #1 from preseason dropped 2 from #1 to #3 with their 1 loss
* Chillicothe ??? started last week at #7 lost to Minford then beat Porstmouth … dropped to #9
* Minford ??? went from #10 beat #7 Chilli moved to #8 … they play #6 Warren Friday at the Warriordome - I'll be there to see that one …

*** on a side note the "few" games I watch all across Southern/SEO every year has been right around 50+ regular season games add in the post season of sectionals/close to every game each year at the district/regional in the Athens (the 3 Weeks of the Convo) … I DO SEE TEAMS PLAY …

… basketball season is 22 games … strength of schedule, wins/losses, who was beaten/lost to, full strength or injuries, coaches, good or bad concessions … 1 win will not get you in the promised land, 1 loss "ain't" dropping you out either … there aren't many teams who are going to go the season without losing 0,1,2 or 3 games … heck Warren has 2 losses and sit at #6 - they lost to Wheeling Park (West Virginia's #4 team) and Meadowbrook who was 8-1 after beating Warren … Miami Trace has 2 losses on their schedule going into this week - Wilmington !!! - doesn't even count!!! Wilmington beats EVERY team in Southern Southeastern Ohio and maybe all comers in the state no matter the division ,loaded with D1 college level players … in my little mind MT's only loss is to Logan Elm ( yeah that Logan Elm - the one who I have at #15 - great coaches, great program, allowing only 44 ppg defensively while only scoring 45 ppg - that LE) … IF you figure each team plays about 2 games per week on average … that avg of 72 games per week to keep track of w's & losses … 4 weeks in the books about 300 games trying to keep track of who beat/lost to whom & when … fan of the game I am - not an expert of anything … just a cheap seat guy who respects the game, the kids who work at the game they love to play, coaches who put in the time to teach kids the great game of basketball … and I've grown close to many many fine fans of the game here on SEOPs - from ALL over Southern/SEOhio - I call them all friends … fans of the game, coaches, officials, scorekeepers, radio personalities , parents of players, the people who work so we can enjoy Tuesday, Friday and Saturday nights from the Cheap Seats as I call them …

... I do my best to add to this site that is for High School Basketball …providing something other than people bashing one school or another, trashing high school athletes , putting down coaches … I'm proud of the posts that are on the Elite 8 every week - the folks who post ARE true fans of the game! they add great information to the games/teams/ players/coaches we see on game days … info you aren't going to get in a "program" … the people who post to this thread know the game or are looking to learn more about the teams their schools team will be playing, or just want to keep up with the 72 teams in this part of the state …

… JS7_22 so you think the rankings are "a joke" ??? … I'm pretty sure you aren't one of the SEOP people I've run across in a gym in Southern/Southeast Ohio …

Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Well said pfloyd.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

peake71 wrote:Well said pfloyd.
2nd this

SVCFan
Waterboy

Post by SVCFan »

You do a great job, pfloyd. Thank you!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… I92, daniC, peake71, noreply66, PuddinFat … the committee of one - me - thanks you … Happy New Year !!!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

pfloyd wrote:JS7_22 … I've explained numerous times what goes into the rankings every week - it is work trying to be "fair & balanced" … strength of schedule ALONE "ain't" going to get it done !!! you threw out Porstmouth Notre Dame beating South Gallia - 1 game out of 22 games … Notre Dame's schedule isn't going to get them running up the rankings - they are 1-2 vs the best teams on their schedule -so far losing to East and Peebles (East is middle of the 72 teams) other wins include New Boston/Green/ North Adams … Notre Dame did move up 7 positions with the win while South Gallia dropped 16 positions …

* Portsmouth (the consensus #1 from preseason dropped 2 from #1 to #3 with their 1 loss
* Chillicothe ??? started last week at #7 lost to Minford then beat Porstmouth … dropped to #9
* Minford ??? went from #10 beat #7 Chilli moved to #8 … they play #6 Warren Friday at the Warriordome - I'll be there to see that one …

*** on a side note the "few" games I watch all across Southern/SEO every year has been right around 50+ regular season games add in the post season of sectionals/close to every game each year at the district/regional in the Athens (the 3 Weeks of the Convo) … I DO SEE TEAMS PLAY …

… basketball season is 22 games … strength of schedule, wins/losses, who was beaten/lost to, full strength or injuries, coaches, good or bad concessions … 1 win will not get you in the promised land, 1 loss "ain't" dropping you out either … there aren't many teams who are going to go the season without losing 0,1,2 or 3 games … heck Warren has 2 losses and sit at #6 - they lost to Wheeling Park (West Virginia's #4 team) and Meadowbrook who was 8-1 after beating Warren … Miami Trace has 2 losses on their schedule going into this week - Wilmington !!! - doesn't even count!!! Wilmington beats EVERY team in Southern Southeastern Ohio and maybe all comers in the state no matter the division ,loaded with D1 college level players … in my little mind MT's only loss is to Logan Elm ( yeah that Logan Elm - the one who I have at #15 - great coaches, great program, allowing only 44 ppg defensively while only scoring 45 ppg - that LE) … IF you figure each team plays about 2 games per week on average … that avg of 72 games per week to keep track of w's & losses … 4 weeks in the books about 300 games trying to keep track of who beat/lost to whom & when … fan of the game I am - not an expert of anything … just a cheap seat guy who respects the game, the kids who work at the game they love to play, coaches who put in the time to teach kids the great game of basketball … and I've grown close to many many fine fans of the game here on SEOPs - from ALL over Southern/SEOhio - I call them all friends … fans of the game, coaches, officials, scorekeepers, radio personalities , parents of players, the people who work so we can enjoy Tuesday, Friday and Saturday nights from the Cheap Seats as I call them …

... I do my best to add to this site that is for High School Basketball …providing something other than people bashing one school or another, trashing high school athletes , putting down coaches … I'm proud of the posts that are on the Elite 8 every week - the folks who post ARE true fans of the game! they add great information to the games/teams/ players/coaches we see on game days … info you aren't going to get in a "program" … the people who post to this thread know the game or are looking to learn more about the teams their schools team will be playing, or just want to keep up with the 72 teams in this part of the state …

… JS7_22 so you think the rankings are "a joke" ??? … I'm pretty sure you aren't one of the SEOP people I've run across in a gym in Southern/Southeast Ohio …

Pfloyd, you do a fantastic job with your rankings. When you do what I do or do what you do, you will NEVER make everyone happy. Happy New Year!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… LOL - I agree bman … we can't ride the fence LOL … have to take a side , trust that you've looked at all of the angles , post 'em … let the teams on the court ultimately decide where they will be ranked … posters have their reasons for not agreeing with where "their" team is ranked - I get that … sometimes even they have to be realistic as a team will probably NOT be ranked any better than the teams they play - schedule … ie. Portsmouth Notre Dame … they have to hope teams like Portsmouth East, Eastern Pike, South Gallia (which they play only once being non-league), Portsmouth Clay maybe Western Pike - these are the BEST teams on the ND schedule - ND has to hope these teams play and beat some good teams in their own non-league schedules in order for ND to move high in the rankings … ND had to replace 6 seniors from last years team - so they were an "untested" commodity to start the season … ND has some young players that are talented Trevon Turner (10), Hattachai Buttayotee (10) to name a couple … if I recall from a post earlier in the season ND has a big sophomore class on the varsity 7-8 players … they will be an even better ball club next season … hard to move up though when playing New Boston, Green, this years Symmes Valley team with a combined 2-16 record all three are on my End Table list …

… I'll keep doing what I do - not to please everyone but to make the season fun for me and hopefully provide good discussion among the masses …

Happy New Year to you as well bman !!!

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

That explanation was very much needed for me and a ton of users on here in my opinion. And I appreciate you going into depth on how you do it.

However, I still don't agree with teams dropping 2 spot after suffering a large defeat and watching another team absolutely dominate them making them look even worse... but that is just my opinion. After watching Portsmouth it is clear to see they struggle with a good team that can limit them to only one scorer.

But to go into this elaborate story about Notre Dame is a bit excessive, when all I said was South Gallia is still ways ahead of ND. I didn't say Notre Dame was under ranked at all, I actually agree where they are. I'm saying to have South Gallia as far up as they are after getting beat doesn't seem right, at some point the gap needs to be closed, and I hope it does as the season goes on.

I can see you factor in a lot of things, but it just doesn't seem like they really have the affect on some of the top teams.

Like I said, this is more of an argument that Portsmouth and Minford are in the wrong spots, and less about Notre Dame, not sure why you chose to write so much about them as you can see I barely mentioned them.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Rankings are just for fun. Everything is proven on the court on the Road to the Convo.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

You da man Pfloyd!!!!!

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”