Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - PreSeason Rankings are Posted !!! 8/6/16

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - PreSeason Rankings are Posted !!! 8/6/16

Post by pfloyd »

... Spring Break !!! plane flights from C'bus to Baltimore MD, to Ft. Lauderdale FL ... a great time to begin working on the 2016-17 Elite 8 - PreSeason Edition ... I hope to have everything put together by the first week in April ... I will not only give you my rankings for the Elite 8, the Treehugger Wannabes and Teams on the End Table ... I will also give you my look into returning starters, imo's for the top teams in SEOhio Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ...

... it should be a good conversation starter as well as the usual "what the heck are you talking about 'floyd ???" ... at the very least I will get some great feedback from all of you who ARE close to your local teams, hoping for names to watch, possible coaching positions filled and/or vacated ... I'll keep filling you in on what is going on with the rankings as I put them together ... the committee of one - me - is looking closely at a NEW #1 to open the 2016-17 season !!! ... we'll see how that pans out as the committee meets here in Key West FL for the week that IS ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - PreSeason

Post by LetsGoPSU »

hey it is a lot like the NFL.the Ohio High School hoops season never ends!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

The Trojans will be making another trip to Florida this season to help get the kids prepared for next season's "one and done" season , talked to coach Collins and he is pretty exited about the up coming season and already preparing .

I know with the Florida trip and the Wendy's classic we won't be playing in as many local tournaments , should be another great season for Trojan hoops .

Although I don't look for the Trojans to start out in the top 8 bit I have a feeling we will be I'm it very quickly .

Thanks for making hoops season a little more interesting and fun Floyd!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I'll make my yearly argument for Coach Hoops and the Unioto Shermans! Yes, we lose our top 3 scorers and a nice role player off of the bench, but after losing CC20 for half of the year, several underclassmen were able to step up and a new spot shouldn't be overwhelming for anyone.

Returning with year to be
Logan Swackhammer, 6'1 Jr. Averaged 9.2 PPG and 4.9 apg. Was only a handful of assists away from a school record. Swack set a single game assist record (14 vs Adena) and also had a stretch where he completely took over at times scoring the ball. A bit more freedom to get his shot and he should have another outstanding campaign. A sleeper for SVC POY, imo.

Brandon Kennedy, 6'1 Jr. Averaged 10.8 ppg, shot 46% from 3. Was one made 3 away from entering the state record book for 3pt accuracy in a season. This kid can shoot and showed flashes of being able to get to the tin as well. Another year in the weight room will help his game just that much more. BK is a stud

Gabe Fisher, 6' Jr. Averaged 5.2 ppg and 4.6 rpg. Started a good bit the 2nd half of the season. Freak athlete who can score on the interior and even shot 36% from 3. He works his tail off in the offseason and will only get better.

Peyton Hill, 6'5 Jr. Averaged 5.1 ppg in 14 games. Hill had a couple of huge games after sitting half of the year after transferring. Strong, good footwork, and crazy athleticism will carry him far. Had a breakout performance today at the Hidden Gems Showcase.

Clay Edler, 5'8 Sr. Unioto's spark plug who does all kinds of little things to push the Shermans. Makes winning plays.

Casey White, 6'1 Sr. Lanky shooter who got tougher as the year went on. Shot 34% from 3, but was around 45% once the calendar turned to 2016.

Newcomers: Nick Adkins (6'5 Jr), Trey Ivey (5'11 Sr)

Improvements to the schedule are coming as well. Maybe not the preseason #1 again this coming year (I'd go with Fairland personally) but it should be another great winter in Frenchtown.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Other SVC teams to look for:
Westfall - Corey Wyman is a stud (18.5 ppg and 4.5 apg) will need to find a little help after graduating a solid senior class, but I look for the Mustangs to have a very solid season. Austin Nunemaker has had a couple big scoring games in his Fr and Soph seasons, but will have to step up a bit for the Mustangs to have a lot of success. Srs Matt Jude and Trey Jordan will give big minutes for Coach Younkin. Not a preseason Elite 8 team, but very capable.

Piketon - Here come the Streaks! Returning 4 out of 5 starters off of a team that improved throughout the season should give the Piketon faithful a lot to look forward to. Sr Casey Moore can go! 14 ppg as a junior and kept getting better as the year went on.

Not a lot returning across the SVC, but a really good freshman class should provide a lot of excitement over the next few years.

RebelZone
Riding the Bench

Post by RebelZone »

Fairland has to be among the top teams.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Chillicothe will be very solid. Maughmer and the Roderick twins will give the Cavaliers a nice trio. If they can just get the best players out, that could help them even more as well.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Waverly has the potential to end up in the elite 8 for the first time in a long time. Lots of talent returning.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Keep the information coming! It's all good - mostly it reaffirms my own thoughts ... good to know that I'm on the right track lol as hard as it is to "try" to get IT right DURING THE SEASON - trying to put together a Pre-season ranking ???!!! AND be credible... takes some studying ... Thanks guys for the assistance!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The Portsmouth Trojans lost 3 starters from last season, including the school's all time leading scorer, Kyre Allison. PHS does return 6-3 senior Kendal Reynolds, who averaged 17.4 PPG. As of right now, and things could change quite a bit, the projected starting 5 would be Reynolds, 6-3 junior Daniel Jordan, 6-1 junior Reese Johnson, 5-10 senior Mike Malone, and at PG 5-8 junior DJ Eley. Eley may be the key to the Trojans success in the 2016-2017 season. He is a natural PG, and in addition is capable of averaging 12-15 PPG with his ability to shoot from the perimeter and drive to the basket with his above average quickness.

The Trojans will lack size as usual, but keep an eye on Myquel McKinley, who will be a 6-4 sophomore. I have personally worked out with Myquel and can attest that he has improved in a number of skills. Another candidate to help in the frontcourt will be 6-2 senior Jahmir King.

Coach Collins has planned to have the Wendy's Classic to start the season, and will also play in the Shawnee State Classic as well. The Ironton Classic looks to be not on the schedule due to the Trojans going to Florida at Christmas break.

I don't look for the Trojans to be in the top 8 to start the season, given that they will have to make up for Kyre Allison's 1,688 points (21.5 PPG his senior year) and 600 career rebounds. Portsmouth will have to develop a new chemistry, which may take some time.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Fairland would be my preseason #1, given that they have all 5 starters back and some key players off the bench. The Dragons went 14-0 in OVC play last season, and just might repeat that performance, although Portsmouth, Ironton, and South Point could pose the main threats to perfection. South Point has 4 starters back and just might sneak into the top 8 at some point. Ironton has an outstanding sophomore class, but they will have to grow up quickly to challenge Fairland. Hopefully the Tigers' Charlie Large can fully recover from a season ending injury. Chesapeake lost quite a bit of their scoring, but Coach Davis will have the Panthers competitive on most nights. Rock Hill, Coal Grove, and Gallia Academy will look to move up the OVC standings.

Lynchburg Clay has 3 starters back, but did lose 9 seniors, so it will tough for the Mustangs to repeat their tournament run to the Final 4. LC still has enough coming back to warrant a top 8 start. The SOC I race will be the most competitive in the SE district, with Clay, Western, East, Notre Dame, and Eastern all having most of their rosters back. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of those teams start in the Elite 8. Wheelersburg should easily be the favorite in SOC II, given that Valley and Minford lost most of their starting lineups. Tanner Holden of the Burg has an excellent chance as a sophomore to SOC II POY. The Pirates are another team that could start out in the Elite 8. Oak Hill could perhaps be the main challenger to the Burg in the SOC II.

Unioto should be the class of the SVC, and will most likely be the near the top of the Elite 8 as the season starts. Warren and Logan Elm are top 8 staples, and 2016-2017 should be no different for those programs. The Peebles Indians have a good group coming back, and although Lynchburg Clay is the SHAC favorite, PHS could perhaps pull off a win vs. the Mustangs.

Chillicothe probably will crack the top 8 with the toughest non-conference schedule in the SE district. As far as the SCOL race, Wilmington lost Jarron Cumberland, but the Hurricane will be good again with several key players returning. Miami Trace returns most of their starting lineup back for Coach Rob Pitzer. The SCOL could have a team in the Elite 8, although Wilmington is not eligible, because they are in the SW district.

Vinton County should have another very good season with most of Coach Combs key players returning. Athens has the outstanding Griffin Lutz back, and that makes the Bulldogs a threat to win on any night. Trimble lost the bulk of their key players, so it will very tough for the Tomcats to rise into the top 8 like they did last year. The TVC, though, should have a top 8 team.

As usual, Pfloyd's Elite 8 has a lot of contenders for those prestigious spots, and the toughest task for any team is not to start there, but stay there for the duration of the season.
Last edited by trojandave on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Knisley actually is graduating from Washington. They return Kenny Upthegrove (my favorite SEO name) and a couple of other contributors, but will likely struggle a bit. Coach Bartriff does a great job and I think they'll be alright though.

Miami Trace, Fairfield Union, Warren, and Vinton County would be in my starting Elite 8 if I did one. They all return very good pieces and coaches.

I would have Fairland as my #1 to start the year. Way too much proven talent returning to not have them there, IMO.

Unioto does lose CC20, Wheeler, Lovely, and Erique Hosley. Hosley is the Unioto career leader in games played and blocks. 11th in scoring and in the top 5 in career rebounding. That's going to be incredibly tough to replace, so it's going to be a process for the Shermans, but there's a ton of talent returning and a heck of a coaching staff that will have them ready come November.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, danicalifornia, for the info on Knisley. I thought he was listed as a junior in the Shawnee State Classic program which was played at Portsmouth. I edited my post above about Washington CH.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I'm getting pretty exited about next season already :mrgreen:

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I know exactly what you're feeling, biggdowgg. Things sometimes don't turn out the way they look right now.......... :D

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Trojan Dave I have mad respect for you and your knowledge of the game. Don't know how much you have seen of waverly or the talent coming. We beat Wheeleresburg at burg at the end of the year and we will potentially be better next year and I am not sure burg will be. Oak Hill will be very good next year although I think they lose their big guy in the middle. Really think it will be a three horse race with Wheelersburg Waverly and Oak Hill. We will see. Lots of work to do this summer. Good luck.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ukfanatic wrote:Trojan Dave I have mad respect for you and your knowledge of the game. Don't know how much you have seen of waverly or the talent coming. We beat Wheeleresburg at burg at the end of the year and we will potentially be better next year and I am not sure burg will be. Oak Hill will be very good next year although I think they lose their big guy in the middle. Really think it will be a three horse race with Wheelersburg Waverly and Oak Hill. We will see. Lots of work to do this summer. Good luck.
Ukfanatic can you give me the starters from Waverly this past season and the role players off the bench ... thanks ...

Oak Hill - for Oak Hill anyway - was down this past season or at least they didn't have the "usual" Oak Hill under Coach Persin season that we are all used to ... the Carroll brothers will be juniors or seniors this coming season ?

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Pfloyd. The carroll brothers will be juniors at Oak Hill next year. Waverly's starting lineup last year changed some what but consisted mostly of three seniors, The Henderson twins and Mason Chapman and two juniors Cade Marquez and Tariq Gilbert. They also had Trey Rigsby a junior who started sometimes in place of Gilbert. The other reserves were all sophomores and are very, very good. Pennington, Adrian, Howell, and Gunnar Robertson were the four main ones. Then they had some freshman who will compete for varsity jobs next year in the younger Marquez boy and Remington, and maybe even a couple of others. The JV team was 21-2 and probably should have won both games they lost. The freshman team was undefeated and plays extremely well together.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Ukfanatic wrote:Trojan Dave I have mad respect for you and your knowledge of the game. Don't know how much you have seen of waverly or the talent coming. We beat Wheeleresburg at burg at the end of the year and we will potentially be better next year and I am not sure burg will be. Oak Hill will be very good next year although I think they lose their big guy in the middle. Really think it will be a three horse race with Wheelersburg Waverly and Oak Hill. We will see. Lots of work to do this summer. Good luck.

Waverly loses their big man (Chapman) who has played a pivotal role for them the last two years, as well as two very solid and very experienced guards (the Henderson brothers). Waverly will undoubtedly be solid and near the top of the league, but I feel like it's a stretch to say they will be 'better' than this year.

Oak Hill returns Hale, Carroll, and Carroll.. Those 3 are a heck of a combo, the problem is they don't have much around them. If they can gather 1-2 more role players to fill in, they will definitely be solid with Norm at the helm. However, I do think losing their big man will hurt them. The 6'6" frame drew attention downlow which always opened up their shooters.

Wheelersburg should be the favorite in the SOC II, but who knows what kids will even come out or if they'll even have the same coach. Lots of questions floating around Pirate land.

South Webster returns everybody and their two 6'3" freshman posts will be sophomores next year and that year of JV should do them wonders. The 6'4" Blevins kid has a chance to be special, only a freshman last year and did something like 17 points 8 rebounds 3 blocks in the sectional final. Also return Zimmerman who already has eclipsed 1,100 points in his career. He'll have a legit shot at SOC POY.

Minford will be better than people think, their front 5 is still very solid. Dalton kid will be special, the Alley guard on JV has a load of potential, returning Gullett, McCormick, Shepherd... they will be fine!

Valley is the one that's in for a true rebuild.. Nobody can church it up, they've been spoiled by some pretty special groups lately. Other than Breech who only started about half the season last year, and the Shope kid who will only be a sophomore, they're going to struggle. They have the athletes to make some noise near the end of the year, but it could be a long season for them.

West will be OK. They return basically everyone but nowhere near good enough to be in top 3-4.

Northwest will still be down, but I do think a SLIGHT improvement as their JV was pretty good last year.

And that my friends, is the recap of the SOC II for 2016-2017 :P

Watching SE Ohio basketball
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

UKFanatic: The post I made was simply an overview off the top of my head about next season....it's hard to mention everyone when you do that........you know more about Waverly than I do, but as bbjunky 81 said, they lost several key players. My main contention for Waverly is that the Tigers have to step up and play like a serious contender, which quite honestly they haven't since the days of Jake Kretzer.

This thread is more about the main contenders for the Elite 8, and I just don't see Waverly in that mix. I do agree with bbjunky81 about Ryan Zimmerman challenging for SOC II POY. It might come down to him and Tanner Holden of Wheelersburg for that honor. As far as Elite 8 teams from the SOC II, I think that the Burg has the best chance of landing there. Oak Hill and South Webster most likely will be in the upper half of the league, but not Elite 8 status. I still think Minford losing Roe, Kelly, and Alley will really hurt them on the offensive end of the court. That's a lot of points graduating from MHS.

There is always a surprise team or two as the season unfolds. Right now, it's impossible to tell who they will be, with the movement of kids these days from one district to another. Things can change drastically over the course of the summer.

And for what it's worth, I look for my Portsmouth Trojans to not be Elite 8 status; I think based on what we have coming back, I'm looking for the Trojans to be somewhere in the 15-20 range beginning the season. Losing Kyre Allison is a very HUGE loss for us, which leaves a hole that will be difficult to fill. We may be able to move up in ployd's rankings, and how we do in Florida (3 games) may go a long way in determining where we are come January.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”