Pfloyd's 2015-16 Preseason Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast Ohio

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Stretch
Waterboy

Re: Pfloyd's 2015-16 Preseason Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast Ohio

Post by Stretch »

Listen on C103 to get an idea of how the teams up there will do.

The SHAC Preview is Friday, Nov. 20 at Manchester High School.

The boys preview schedule is as follows (home team is listed first):

5 p.m. North Adams vs. Eastern

6 p.m. Fayetteville vs. Ripley

7 p.m. Whiteoak vs. West Union

8 p.m. Fairfield vs. Lynchburg-Clay

9 p.m. Manchester vs. Peebles

REMEMBER THE TITANS !
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

wipala: In answer to your question, there is no answer really. Since Eugene Collins took over as head coach in 2010, he has had 1 player 6-5......Dion McKinley.......and the Trojans went back to back state tournaments with Dion. Having a post game balances the floor offensively. Portsmouth has not had that post presence since 2012. Still, even last year, the Trojans still won 20 games as a jump shooting team, and 19 the year before. A team can still win without a true post player, but they have to be able to rebound and beat teams down the floor. Setting up a half court offense with basically 5 guards as the Trojans have this year is a challenge.

Coach Collins has been through this before, and he will make the necessary adjustments to accommodate his roster. The Trojans have won this way before, and will do it again this year. The Unioto scrimmage did not go well, but the Trojans are better than what they showed. The Shermans on that night looked like the best team in the SE district, and PHS may not play a better team in the regular season.

Last night in the OVC preview the Trojans showed no effects of the Unioto scrimmage, as they ballhawked Gallia Academy over the whole court en route to a 37-18 win. Portsmouth will have to win by defensive pressure, hustle, and beating teams down the court.

It looks like the next class with good size is the 7th grade, which has 4-5 kids almost 6'0 or 6-1. Of course they probably won't make any impact until 3-4 years, and will they still be at Portsmouth when they are high school age?

SHACFan
Freshman Team

Post by SHACFan »

Stretch wrote:Listen on C103 to get an idea of how the teams up there will do.

The SHAC Preview is Friday, Nov. 20 at Manchester High School.

The boys preview schedule is as follows (home team is listed first):

5 p.m. North Adams vs. Eastern

6 p.m. Fayetteville vs. Ripley

7 p.m. Whiteoak vs. West Union

8 p.m. Fairfield vs. Lynchburg-Clay

9 p.m. Manchester vs. Peebles
Eastern over North Adams

Fayetteville over Ripley

West Union over Whiteoak

Lynchburg over Fairfield

Manchester over Peebles

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

5 days until the ZT TipOff Classic !!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Zane Trace Tip-Off Classic
Friday, November 27th

11:00am Zane Trace Girls vs. Berne Union Girls
12:45pm Grandview v. Westfall
2:30 Amanda CC v. Piketon
4:15 Circleville v. Adena
6:00 WCH v. VC
7:45 ZT v. Berne Union

… What will the NEW lineup of games be this Friday ??? Grandview is playing a little football, ZT just finished on Friday night ...

SHACFan
Freshman Team

Post by SHACFan »

SHAC Early Season Menu:

Nov. 27th - Ripley @ Batavia

Nov. 28th - Felicity Franklin @ Whiteoak

Miami Trace vs. Lynchburg Clay at Wilmington College

Fairfield vs. Clinton Massie

Eastern Brown vs. Blanchester

December 1st - Bethel at West Union

Clermont Northeastern at Whiteoak

Eastern Brown at Williamsburg

Fairfield at Georgetown

Fayetteville at Blanchester

Lucasville Valley at Manchester

Northwest at Ripley

Peebles at North Adams

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote:Zane Trace Tip-Off Classic
Friday, November 27th

11:00am Zane Trace Girls vs. Berne Union Girls
12:45pm Grandview v. Westfall
2:30 Amanda CC v. Piketon
4:15 Circleville v. Adena
6:00 WCH v. VC
7:45 ZT v. Berne Union

… What will the NEW lineup of games be this Friday ??? Grandview is playing a little football, ZT just finished on Friday night ...

My guess is that ZT will still be playing, as long as injuries aren't piled up from football that is. It's still a nice slate of games even without Westfall/GH.

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

Westfall/Grandview is cancelled. They are not playing in it. I heard the schedule is moved back where there is no 11:00 am game but you should check with Allen Koker to be sure. ZT is playing in it.

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

danicalifornia wrote:
Rabeanos0512 wrote:Danica
How does Chilli look? He has us at 5? I havent heard anything really from the community to be too excited. i could be wrong.
Well, I think that was considering Davidson being back, but apparently he's out at ZT now? That hurts on the offensive end.

I think the Cavs will be solid. Lots of youth, a very good sophomore class. Boltonhouse will be outstanding, but he's out half of the year. I'm not sure on the depth of the SCOL, but I think they'll push for 2nd behind Wilmington. WCH and MT should be good games.

Hmmm i am not sure on transfer rules but i know Davidson played football this year for CHS. its Quenton right?

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

trojandave wrote:Have to give major props to Unioto last night in the complete domination of my Trojans........the Shermans won the first 5 quarters by about a total of 50 points.......glad to see the Trojans get some consolation, winning the last quarter. Coach Hoops has a powerhouse that I believe might be better than last year's squad........deep, talented, and from what I saw, didn't have a weakness. They have guards, bigs, shooters, ballhandlers, rebounders, and they play hard on the defensive end. I know going undefeated in the regular season is very difficult, but if any team in the SE district can do it in 2015-2016, it will be Unioto.

I actually think the Trojans are a pretty good team (I have predicted 15-7 to 17-5).......and that makes the Shermans' performance last night even more impressive. We just had no answer for UHS, inside or outside. Coach Collins will get our kids together, though, and put together a good season at PHS.....his 106-40 overall record suggests he will.......last night, though, was a reality check for a team that basically starts 5 guards (PHS) with no size on the roster. It would be nice to have some size so that they we could run a more balanced offense, but we just have to deal with what we have.
102-59 after 4 quarters of play. Unioto has the ability to run, pound, defend, shoot, and score (a lot). Coach Hoops lost 4 of the most experienced and intelligent players he could have asked for and replaced them with athletic nightmares for their opponents. This years team can press just as well as last years. The difference is their ability to defend in the half court and rebound. Strides further in both departments of the game. When this offense gets going, just get out of the way. They go around you, through you, and 10/12 will go right over top of you. Portsmouth is a high quality program and adversary in this scrimmage. This is not a testament of poor play, but of another level stemming from Coach Hoops' boys.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… looks like a busy Friday of hoops to open the season as the Pfloyd 2015-16 Tour will head to the ZT Tip Off Classic for 3 games

Amanda CC v. Piketon
Circleville v. Adena
WCH v. VC

@ LE vs Chillicothe

Saturday @ Unioto to see UHS vs Logan ...

… after the Washington CH vs Vinton County matchup at Zane Trace finishes up, I'm going to make my way over to Logan Elm to catch a few quarters of the Logan Elm vs Chillicothe game … THAT should be a good first night of hoops … Saturday has my Purple taking on Coach Hoops & his #1 ranked Unioto Shermans … boys & girls games ALL day long between UHS and LHS with the Varsity girls playing before the Boys in the finale … will be good to meet up with Coach Hoops , DaniC & the rest of the UHS staff Saturday !

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

left after 3 quarters of oak hill gallia academy game. Blue devils were leading 38-20. Have no idea how many games blue devils will win. But this team very much improved. Wes Jarrell totally different player with the shoulder healed up this year. If he can sink shots from charity stripe should avg close to 20 a game. And if the rest of team can shoot like they did tonight when he passed ball back out they could be pretty decent. team seems to be improved on defense but think they might have problems with pressing teams and very fast teams. I am not a big jarrell fan but he played like a senior leader for most of the night tonight. Don't know what was up with oak hill but they showed me nothing tonight. But tonight was not for real. find out about it next week

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

oh we are so close to getting it started,Trojans seem to be struggling to find an image, but Coach Collins will have it figured out and put the best team on the floor that he can, I wish we had some size to go along with the speed, Another great year of High School hoops is upon us, take it away pfloyd!

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

svac83 wrote:left after 3 quarters of oak hill gallia academy game. Blue devils were leading 38-20. Have no idea how many games blue devils will win. But this team very much improved. Wes Jarrell totally different player with the shoulder healed up this year. If he can sink shots from charity stripe should avg close to 20 a game. And if the rest of team can shoot like they did tonight when he passed ball back out they could be pretty decent. team seems to be improved on defense but think they might have problems with pressing teams and very fast teams. I am not a big jarrell fan but he played like a senior leader for most of the night tonight. Don't know what was up with oak hill but they showed me nothing tonight. But tonight was not for real. find out about it next week
I thought Wes Jarrell transferred to Point Pleasant?

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

TTT...if any thread on SEOPs in need of a sticky it is this one...C'mon MATT...lol

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

agree

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

ShoeHorn wrote:
svac83 wrote:left after 3 quarters of oak hill gallia academy game. Blue devils were leading 38-20. Have no idea how many games blue devils will win. But this team very much improved. Wes Jarrell totally different player with the shoulder healed up this year. If he can sink shots from charity stripe should avg close to 20 a game. And if the rest of team can shoot like they did tonight when he passed ball back out they could be pretty decent. team seems to be improved on defense but think they might have problems with pressing teams and very fast teams. I am not a big jarrell fan but he played like a senior leader for most of the night tonight. Don't know what was up with oak hill but they showed me nothing tonight. But tonight was not for real. find out about it next week
he spent some time over summer working out with football team. i don't know all the details but he never enrolled. Has been at Gallia academy since first day of school. It was nice to see him being able to fully move shoulder. allows him to now shoot a shot from more then 4 foot from basket. and also have the ability to drive past someone from 17 foot out toward the hoop. He looks a little out of shape physically not sure how long shoulder surgery kept him from physical activity. He didn't look tired or get winded. but always thought of him as being really physically fit and seems a little chubby now. blue devils started 3 seniors 1 junior 1 sophomore. off the bench a senior, a freshmen and not sure what grade other two boys were in.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Season tips off tomorrow at 2:30 at Zane Trace High School when Amanda Clearcreek takes on Piketon.

It will be the first game for Coach Cody Carpenter at Amanda. Cody is a state record holder for assists in a game at Huntington HS in Chillicothe. He was an assistant at ZT under Coach Alley and last year at Unioto. I think he'll do well at Amanda if given time to get a program going. A very tough league and situation, but I wish him the best.

Piketon lost a very nice senior class that reached the Convo last winter. Coach Brabson has some nice athletes back, led by junior Casey Moore. Moore came on late last year to be one of the key Redstreaks including being their leading scorer in the tournament. Also, look for Cody Vulgamore and Steven Zimmerman to help Moore on the scoring side.

Should be a competitive game to start the HS basketball season!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

svac83 wrote:
ShoeHorn wrote:
he spent some time over summer working out with football team. i don't know all the details but he never enrolled. Has been at Gallia academy since first day of school. It was nice to see him being able to fully move shoulder. allows him to now shoot a shot from more then 4 foot from basket. and also have the ability to drive past someone from 17 foot out toward the hoop. He looks a little out of shape physically not sure how long shoulder surgery kept him from physical activity. He didn't look tired or get winded. but always thought of him as being really physically fit and seems a little chubby now. blue devils started 3 seniors 1 junior 1 sophomore. off the bench a senior, a freshmen and not sure what grade other two boys were in.
This is coming from someone who only saw the Blue Devils play twice each of the last two years, but you could really tell he was having a difficult time physically last year compared to the year before. I'm glad to hear that he was able to get things taken care of. He's a very good athlete and the difference between him being healthy is probably an extra 3-4 wins for GA compared to if he was closer to 50%.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… it's about time for the Pfloyd Tour Bus (aka Honda Accord with the PFLOYD1 license plates LOL) to hit the road for ZT … I have my napkins ready , pencils/ marker / glasses case / Garmin programmed LOL / shorts/Purple "cancer sucks" shirt … only thing missing are TWIZZLERS !!! (to be purchased at the game) … I'm ready to tip the 2015-16 Campaign off !!!

… best of luck to all of the teams tipping it off today/tonight !!! let's see who's ready to set their sights on Basketball 30 in March !!! … safe travels for all of the hoops fans & seops posters out there !!! write down those scores AND POST THEM tonight after the game !!! any napkin stats would be awesome as well …

I should have game napkin stats for Amanda vs Pikton, Circleville vs Adena, Wash CH vs Vinton County … maybe some second half stats on the LE vs Chilli contest … I won't get there until the 2nd quarter probably … but I will get there ! I'm used to seeing Coach Stiverson & Coach Holbert's Braves at the ZT Classic but not this season - so I'm going to find them myself LOL ...

… Looking forward to posting my first game recaps of the season tonight !!!

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”