Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #5

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #5

Post by Raider6309 »

93Bulldog wrote:So Alexander beats Warren 55-47 last week.
Few days later Warren beats Athens 72-51.
Few days later Athens beats Alexander 55-40.

Go figure.

lol
Why it's hard to rank teams and everyone plays different styles. Some styles favor some teams. so head to head sometimes doesn't mean a team is better. Akron SVSM blows out Warren, Warren blows out Athens, and Athens vs SVSM is a back and forth game

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

pfloyd wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:So Alexander beats Warren 55-47 last week.
Few days later Warren beats Athens 72-51.
Few days later Athens beats Alexander 55-40.

Go figure.

lol
...93dog I'm going to have to turn to the Ouija Board for this weeks rankings I'm thinking :lol:

No doubt it'll be tough. As for a Meigs fan like me who's been let down year after year after year after year I say if they're still undefeated after NEXT week, it should be a no brainer to have them in the top 3.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Notre Dame defeats Clay 48-46, back and forth game, Titans stretched out a 9 point lead with 1 minute left and a couple missed free throws led Clay to hit a couple 3's, get fouled and hit their shots to tie it up. Titans close this out with their free throws, we're talking about 10-14 point win. Win is a win and Titans are playing well right now.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly 68
Northwest 42
Tigers jumped out 23-7 after one and 38-20 at the break with mostly non starters playing the second period. 14 of Northwests 20 were FT's. Waverly lead 52-31 after three.
Trey Rigsby lead the Tigers with 23 and a dunk. Jake Henderson 10, Cade Marquez 9, Mason Chapman 8, Bailey Pennington 7, Joe Henderson 4, Tariq Gilbert 4, Jake Reed 2, Gunner Robinson 1.

Tigers move to 6-4, winners of 5 straight including at South Webster and Eastern at home.

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

Post by Voice of Reason »

Some interesting SOC conversation for sure but what Crab's Brother is saying carries some weight. In the last couple of weeks, we have seen Eastern and East, SOC I front runners, lose to SW and Waverly. Teams at the middle of the pack in SOC II. Valley beat SW by 25-30 points tonight. Teams have bad nights, it happens. Some teams have a great home court advantage. I watch a ton of ball in both leagues and SOC II is a different animal on a nightly basis.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto 75
Southeastern 47

Unioto led after 1, 16-14. Southeastern shot it well early, then hit back to back 3s to go up 20-18...and that's when Unioto turned it on. It went to 38-24 at the half and 66-31 after 3. Coach Hoops cleared his bench with 3 minutes left in the 3rd.

All 10 Shermans in uniform scored tonight, led by Cole Cottrill with 20, Isaac Wheeler added 16. Gabe Fisher and Logan Swackhammer each had 10.

Unioto travels to Greenfield tomorrow night. Each team gets a transfer eligible for the game. I've heard a lot of positive things about the McClain move in.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Adena 46
Zane Trace 37

Adena's Jonathon Thomas scored 24 to become Adena's All Time Leading Scorer (1298)

Adena travels to Hillsboro later on tonight.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Is the UNIOTO transfer expected to be an impact player ?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Fairland Dragons on the win over the Trojans......very proud of the Trojans effort, coming back from a 16 point deficit, cutting it to 2.......Fairland has an outstanding team that can score in the paint or from the perimeter. Portsmouth has lost 5 games this year, 4 by 8 points or less. The Trojans have lost to 1 loss Fairland, 1 loss Huntington St.Joe, undefeated Valley, Columbus Africentric, and on a buzzer beater by South Point.

Refreshing to see a high school basketball game with that many points, considering how many games are played in the 30's,40's,and 50's.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I agree Voice of Reason. It's not a slam on those schools in the SOC I but the leagues are different. You can see that in football as well, Northwest goes from not winning a game in the SOC II to competing for the title in the SOC I.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

LetsGoPSU wrote:Is the UNIOTO transfer expected to be an impact player ?
Probably, but he definitely will be the next two years. Lots of upside with him. For now, he'll add to their depth. Even though he's been practicing, still might take a bit to settle into his role.

It probably helps the Fisher kid the most, makes it where he can be more of a wing player rather than on the interior all the time.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Smurray,
I think u r right , it was a good move by north west to move to to the soc1 in football , maybe waverly should think about that as well since they can't compete in football in the soc 2 either .
Maybe the soc 2 in basketball should drop the lowly soc1 teams from their non conference schedule , because they have been so dominant , I think oak hill academy , Huntington prep , is looking for a good southern Ohio d3 team to play , maybe Duke has an open date to fill to finish out their schedule . I'm sure if coach k saw valleys 41-40 rout of eastern pike , that he would b impressed, or b sure to show them the 70-63 domination of Webster over east .

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

LetsGoPSU wrote:Is the UNIOTO transfer expected to be an impact player ?
Anytime an undefeated team adds another player over 6'5" to their roster it has some advantage. At the very least it makes it that much difficult for teams to take games down the stretch because of unioto's interior depth. Example being Westfall where Unioto had some foul trouble throughout the game. Peyton is big and athletic for just a sophomore. The adjust will likely take time, but he will play and play well.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens 66
Coal Grove 41

Trimble - 83
Minford - 62

Saturday finals from Chesapeake.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

EPN,
I'm not on here pounding the Waverly Tiger's chest as the best thing since applebutter, as you are the Eastern Eagles.
No one is slamming the Eagles or the SOCI, but it seems that's the only way you can respond. Eastern is a very good team and quite frankly I am surprised with how easily Waverly jumped on them early. Had the Tigers made just a few of their FT's in the last minute of regulation they win going away without the need for OT. Waverly is perceived to be middle of the pack in the SOC II and beat Eastern who is said to be top of the SOC I. East (another top of the SOC I) beats Eastern by a bunch and then South Webster (middle of the SOC II) beats East. Waverly handily beat the Jeeps at South Webster.
We can only talk about the team Eastern has put on the floor up to this point. I understand their is a transfer who followed Barrick that wasn't eligible as well as a player injured from football. Maybe the Eagles will be as good as the top tier SOC 11 teams down the road but they aren't right now. Waverly had a STARTER out at the beginning of the season as well, maybe that contributed to a couple early losses.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

In no way do I think eastern is a great team , the best team , in fact they have a long ways to go to b a great team , I am just saying , that the difference between them and the top of the soc 2 is not as much as what some people think it may be.
And just to b clear I don't think the young man that moved to eastern , just followed coach barrick there , I don't want there to b a misunderstanding, to where some may think coach barrick is bringing in players , coach barrick is the best in the business, and very well respected.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

eastern has got a lot of work to do but they are just as good as the top 2 in the big divison valley is at tops they havnt lost so they to this point are perfect but quite easliy could of left the nest with a loss only winning by one. u can't judge high school ball on one game that's why they play a schedule Waverly has beat one team with a winning record which happens to be eastern u can't say they aren't as good as the top 2 in the soc2 off that game if that's the case everybody that valley beat by more than a point eastern is better than.

GO EAGLES
coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

#6 Valley 53
#7 Fairland 47

Valley missed ALOT of FTs down the stretch. Indians still undefeated, but gives them something to work on.

TheSportsGuy
Freshman Team

Post by TheSportsGuy »

Great win by Valley! Really impressed with their schedule, and the way they have just found ways to get the "W" regardless of opponent, location, circumstances, etc. Hats off to their coaching staff.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto 75
McClain 39

Unioto started off extremely slow, making only 1 of their first 10 shots, including several good looks. They held up defensively and held a 10-6 lead after 1. Late in the first, the big transfer for McClain made his first appearance for the Tigers. Big, long, athletic and will be a major factor the next couple of seasons.
In the 2nd, Cole Cottrill absolutely caught fire, going 4-5 from deep. Peyton Hill made his Unioto debut in the 2nd Q, but got in quick foul trouble, so his time was limited. The Shermans led 35-15 at the half and it was all over but the shouting. Logan Swackhammer (8) and Brandon Kennedy (9) led the Shermans in the 3rd.

After starting 1-10, the Shermans went 29-39 the rest of the way from the field. Even though Kennedy went 5-9 from 3 this weekend, his 3pt % still dropped!

Cole Cottrill led the Shermans with 20 pts, 5 rebs, and 6 asts. Kennedy 12, Swackhammer 10, Clay Edler/Isaac Wheeler 8, Hosley 6, Sawyer Lovely 5, Gabe Fisher/Hill/Gavin Ogan 2 each

The Shermans host Zane Trace next Friday night. ZT upset Circleville 56-53 tonight behind Pierce Mowery's 41 point night.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”