Regional Championship THE South Webster Jeeps vs Berlin Hiland

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Re: Regional Championship THE South Webster Jeeps vs Berlin Hiland

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Spalding22 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:05 am
wobycat wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:54 am
JeepNation26 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:09 am

I knew there would be at least one Burg fan pulling for the Jeeps. But didn't think it would be Ol Wobycat :D
I'm not swanky. :D He's just an easy target.

Plus I always root for burg kids, no matter what jersey they wear. Lol

All Joking aside, I agree with Spalding 22. They have the team to beat this Berlin Hiland Team. They have to want it though beacause Hiland is good. I watched them play Ottawa Glandorf within three points and Webster reminds me of Ottawa Glandorf.
Swanker is so giddy, I think he just starts hitting keys before he realizes he has to calm down and type actual words. Exciting times for the quiet community of South Webster.
Nah everything I post on here is cold and calculated to get under someone’s skin. Different targets for different days 😁 unfortunately most of my favorites have moved on to the baseball forum or have disappeared until next season until the beatings continue.

I thought Jack Timothy played a great first quarter last night but the best lineup was definitely Roberts Sommer Shupert Barnard and White/Mault. Great adjustment for White after he got pulled after consecutive turnovers, and to ice the win with the free throws. He’s really picked it up since mid season.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
JeepBandwagonFan
Waterboy

Post by JeepBandwagonFan »

Spalding22 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:42 am
BasketballFan22 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:38 am Good Luck Jeeps!

They will need to come ready to play, Berlin has some discipline in their passing and waiting for open shots. If Webster can throw them off, they will have a better chance!
I believe Webster can get the job done, and I agree with you that discipline will be the key. I get Timothy has some defensive lapses, but i they should be working with him, because his issues can be easily fixed. Timothy could make a huge difference if they utilize him the right way. From here on out, the difference will be coaching. I hope Persin can control his short fuse, and focus on a winning strategy over his displeasure with kids for one bad play. Guy just seems to want to yank players from the game at inappropriate times. There is no time for trivial things now. Hats off to the coaching staff for getting them this far, and i hope they tidy up some things for Friday. I still don't believe we have seen the best version of the SW jeeps yet, but i think they are close, and i hope the coaching staff can prepare them.
Well said Sheets

JeepBandwagonFan
Waterboy

Post by JeepBandwagonFan »

BasketballFan22 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:38 am
Spalding22 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:42 am
BasketballFan22 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:38 am Good Luck Jeeps!

They will need to come ready to play, Berlin has some discipline in their passing and waiting for open shots. If Webster can throw them off, they will have a better chance!
I believe Webster can get the job done, and I agree with you that discipline will be the key. I get Timothy has some defensive lapses, but i they should be working with him, because his issues can be easily fixed. Timothy could make a huge difference if they utilize him the right way. From here on out, the difference will be coaching. I hope Persin can control his short fuse, and focus on a winning strategy over his displeasure with kids for one bad play. Guy just seems to want to yank players from the game at inappropriate times. There is no time for trivial things now. Hats off to the coaching staff for getting them this far, and i hope they tidy up some things for Friday. I still don't believe we have seen the best version of the SW jeeps yet, but i think they are close, and i hope the coaching staff can prepare them.
I’ve been saying that all season. Jack has already done great down low for them. Then they pull him for something ridiculous. He’s use to the more physical style of play from being from basically the euro league type play.

He’s also one of my favorite on the team because of his hard work.
Also well said Sheets

Barn Baller
Waterboy

Post by Barn Baller »

I'd say S Webster is the clear favorite due to their size and athleticism. Hiland was a state final team before all their injuries. They are small and scrappy but still have a smooth shooting gaurd that can put up 20 any night and a 2 time all Ohio gaurd that's a great 2 way player so they still have some talent and great coaching. Just don't have any margin for error like an off shooting night or foul trouble. 2nd toughest SOS in D4 behind Richmond Heights so the Hawks won't be surprised by anything but S Webster just may be to much.

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Barn Baller wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:30 pm I'd say S Webster is the clear favorite due to their size and athleticism. Hiland was a state final team before all their injuries. They are small and scrappy but still have a smooth shooting gaurd that can put up 20 any night and a 2 time all Ohio gaurd that's a great 2 way player so they still have some talent and great coaching. Just don't have any margin for error like an off shooting night or foul trouble. 2nd toughest SOS in D4 behind Richmond Heights so the Hawks won't be surprised by anything but S Webster just may be to much.
This.

There must be some good basketball in your barn. :)

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:10 pm
Spalding22 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:05 am
wobycat wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:54 am

I'm not swanky. :D He's just an easy target.

Plus I always root for burg kids, no matter what jersey they wear. Lol

All Joking aside, I agree with Spalding 22. They have the team to beat this Berlin Hiland Team. They have to want it though beacause Hiland is good. I watched them play Ottawa Glandorf within three points and Webster reminds me of Ottawa Glandorf.
Swanker is so giddy, I think he just starts hitting keys before he realizes he has to calm down and type actual words. Exciting times for the quiet community of South Webster.
Nah everything I post on here is cold and calculated to get under someone’s skin. Different targets for different days 😁 unfortunately most of my favorites have moved on to the baseball forum or have disappeared until next season until the beatings continue.

I thought Jack Timothy played a great first quarter last night but the best lineup was definitely Roberts Sommer Shupert Barnard and White/Mault. Great adjustment for White after he got pulled after consecutive turnovers, and to ice the win with the free throws. He’s really picked it up since mid season.
Let me rephrase my statement, Swank. I believe Timothy can have the biggest influence next game due to his size and ability, because he has a few issues with his game, and the few issues with his game can be fixed rather somewhat quickly. I see awareness issues, and that is about it. He has a few problems with boxing out as well. I often wonder if he has been told to find and keep his hand on his man to box out.

The Sheets comments are great. Y'all won't leave the man alone. All because you think he has some ulterior motive to coach. Sounds like a good guy to me. He was probably a little too truthful with some statements he made, and the truth probably hurt a little, or it did not agree with your good ol' boy . Cry your tears, get a tissue, and come back to reality. I am complimenting the coaches. Big strides. However, the real coaching game begins now. A war of strategy and leadership. SW will be tested from here on out. Rooting for the whole team, including the coaches. A couple screws need tightened, and a guy with #802 should be able to fix them.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

I would give the edge to SW as a slight favorite. Hiland and SW both play in a great league that allows them to be challenged vs. bigger schools, Hiland vs. Garaway, Indian Valley, Sandy Valley etc, and SW vs. Minford, Wheelersburg, etc. Barn Burner!

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

Post by SoutheastHoopsWizard »

This is not one of the stronger Hiland teams. South webster can and should expext to win this matchup.

As already been said, Berlin is well coached and they won't beat themselves.

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

This game will come down to all the fundamentals that most have stated by now. But also it’ll come down to answering runs. I thought SW responded with a run last night when Fairfield would go on a run. Hiland traditionally has a way of going on runs when it matters most. Whoever can limit runs/respond will win this game. Both teams are well coached which makes it all more fun.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Once again I come to the support of the Fighting Swankers and Sleepy Norm. Keep it up represent SEO

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

I’m one of the biggest Jeep fans there is, but I’m completely shocked anyone would think they are favored in this game. I saw Hiland play. If they are down three players to injury, I would HATE to think of South Webster having to play them healthy!!
If the Jeeps can stay composed against Hiland’s defense then they can win. But I don’t know if any team they have played this year plays the aggressive man to man Hiland does.
This will be a tough one!!

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Webster is definitely not the favorite but they can win this game you never know what might happen in a game webster might have their best game of the year and if they do that they should win but just being a basketball observer I would have to say that Hiland is favored by 8 to 10 points maybe more they are just so disciplined and play with energy the whole game and webster sometimes can have an attitude problem not the whole team if you know what I'm saying. But I will be rooting for Webster to get it done Go Jeeps

Burg grad 85
OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Hate to say it, but South Webster will be running into a wood chipper. Great season, but I’ve watched Hiland play several times the past few years, and there’s not many teams that can hang with their style of play. But, you still have to play the game. Good luck Jeeps!

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
123xxx
Freshman Team

Post by 123xxx »

IVCguy - That’s a great evaluation of the two teams. Thanks for the relevant info. I have not seen Highland play this year but have been fortunate to see them in the past and their coach is as good as they come. They are holistically fundamental in every regard. They do not wow you athletically, but they wow you with every little thing that most don’t notice. They always have good spacing, guard play, and are connected on the defensive end. South Webster on the other hand has physical tools that are better. They have a D1 player. They have strength and can rebound. Both communities are mighty and passionate. This one will be on my must watch list. I’m hopeful the Jeeps can move on. I would love to see a local brand continue and represent. Tall task for both teams, but I look forward to it! The biggest key to the game in my opinion will be valuing possessions and being efficient from the line and the paint. Just my take…Go Jeeps!

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

Is it true that southwebstern is getting NIL money from Pampers in the form of a diaper donation to keep ole Nerm on the bench for these games?

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

123xxx wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:18 pm IVCguy - That’s a great evaluation of the two teams. Thanks for the relevant info. I have not seen Highland play this year but have been fortunate to see them in the past and their coach is as good as they come. They are holistically fundamental in every regard. They do not wow you athletically, but they wow you with every little thing that most don’t notice. They always have good spacing, guard play, and are connected on the defensive end. South Webster on the other hand has physical tools that are better. They have a D1 player. They have strength and can rebound. Both communities are mighty and passionate. This one will be on my must watch list. I’m hopeful the Jeeps can move on. I would love to see a local brand continue and represent. Tall task for both teams, but I look forward to it! The biggest key to the game in my opinion will be valuing possessions and being efficient from the line and the paint. Just my take…Go Jeeps!
Not saying I understand everything Coach Schlabach does, but taking what he has said publicly, he seeks to control what is controllable. They are going to work as hard as anyone. They will schedule very tough challenges. They want to be the strongest team on the floor, so they are in the weight room all year. They are intentional and fanatical about teaching fundamental skills. For example, you don't see Hiland players shooting funky-looking shots - they all shoot with form. There is a special pride they take in sticky man to man defense and their execution of team defense principles is as good as you will see.

It's been over a decade since Jr played for him. Back then I would see the scouting reports and the detail was incredible. Players would know exactly what the player they would be guarding would do and there would be specific things to take away what that they did best. They would give Jr a dvd cut up of the opponent to watch and focus on. For one deep tourny game, I asked Jr if he felt like he could handle a beast the other team had in the post and he said, "I know exactly what he is going to try to do. I even know which butt cheek he lifts off the toilet seat to wipe." Lol. He held him to 3 points. My understanding is that they have simplified what the players get delivered to them in recent years. Regardless, those Hiland players never step on the floor and see something that surprises them because of how the coaching staff prepares them.

So their scouting is elite, as is their ability to adapt that information in terms of game-planning for individual match ups. I think that's a big part of why they are consistent. You can't control your size or talent level, and when Hiland plays a team bigger and better than them, they often get beat, but as it turns out, when coaches control what they can control and your team rarely beats themselves, you can win a lot of games.

The other advantage Mark has is tourny experience. Unfamiliar teams, different venues, different refs and styles of officiating, etc. He knows how to manage all of that and that helps him manage his team.

Players and talent come and go, but the fact that Hiland is a consistent factor at the district and, usually, regional level is a testament to how good Mark and his staff are at doing what they do. FWIW

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Is this the same Schlabach that played at Malone?

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

bfry wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:19 am Is this the same Schlabach that played at Malone?
Nevermind. I think his name was Andy Schlabach. Is this perhaps his dad?

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

bfry wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:21 am
bfry wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:19 am Is this the same Schlabach that played at Malone?
Nevermind. I think his name was Andy Schlabach. Is this perhaps his dad?
Mark played at the College of Wooster in the 90s. Mostly sat the bench up there. He was studying to be a coach.

You see so-so players make great coaches often. You see some great players make good coaches - Rick Scarberry, for example. But I think it's hard for great players to teach what they never learned because it came naturally for them. That's my theory anyway.

Mark has a son, Will. Not sure where or if he played in college.

A ton of East Holmes kids go to Malone. So many it is called, "Hiland University".

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

IVCguy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:40 am
123xxx wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:18 pm IVCguy - That’s a great evaluation of the two teams. Thanks for the relevant info. I have not seen Highland play this year but have been fortunate to see them in the past and their coach is as good as they come. They are holistically fundamental in every regard. They do not wow you athletically, but they wow you with every little thing that most don’t notice. They always have good spacing, guard play, and are connected on the defensive end. South Webster on the other hand has physical tools that are better. They have a D1 player. They have strength and can rebound. Both communities are mighty and passionate. This one will be on my must watch list. I’m hopeful the Jeeps can move on. I would love to see a local brand continue and represent. Tall task for both teams, but I look forward to it! The biggest key to the game in my opinion will be valuing possessions and being efficient from the line and the paint. Just my take…Go Jeeps!
Not saying I understand everything Coach Schlabach does, but taking what he has said publicly, he seeks to control what is controllable. They are going to work as hard as anyone. They will schedule very tough challenges. They want to be the strongest team on the floor, so they are in the weight room all year. They are intentional and fanatical about teaching fundamental skills. For example, you don't see Hiland players shooting funky-looking shots - they all shoot with form. There is a special pride they take in sticky man to man defense and their execution of team defense principles is as good as you will see.

It's been over a decade since Jr played for him. Back then I would see the scouting reports and the detail was incredible. Players would know exactly what the player they would be guarding would do and there would be specific things to take away what that they did best. They would give Jr a dvd cut up of the opponent to watch and focus on. For one deep tourny game, I asked Jr if he felt like he could handle a beast the other team had in the post and he said, "I know exactly what he is going to try to do. I even know which butt cheek he lifts off the toilet seat to wipe." Lol. He held him to 3 points. My understanding is that they have simplified what the players get delivered to them in recent years. Regardless, those Hiland players never step on the floor and see something that surprises them because of how the coaching staff prepares them.

So their scouting is elite, as is their ability to adapt that information in terms of game-planning for individual match ups. I think that's a big part of why they are consistent. You can't control your size or talent level, and when Hiland plays a team bigger and better than them, they often get beat, but as it turns out, when coaches control what they can control and your team rarely beats themselves, you can win a lot of games.

The other advantage Mark has is tourny experience. Unfamiliar teams, different venues, different refs and styles of officiating, etc. He knows how to manage all of that and that helps him manage his team.

Players and talent come and go, but the fact that Hiland is a consistent factor at the district and, usually, regional level is a testament to how good Mark and his staff are at doing what they do. FWIW
Norm was able to out coach Howie because they kept him supplied with diapers. If they can match that effort in this game Norm will prevail again. There’s no better coach when he doesn’t have to worry about the 💩. Make no mistake, this game will come down to coaching.

Return to “Boys Basketball”