Coaching Openings

E High
All State

Re: Coaching Openings

Post by E High »

Hookshot wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:37 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:59 am Coach Davis is a very good coach who gets the most out of his kids.

His son will play low D1 (big and can shoot it with 2 years left). Pairing him with what Meigs has returning makes one very special team. Honestly, top 5 in SEO. Could end #1 by years end.

The major question is…. Can Meigs handle Davis’s coaching style? He’s known to be very hard to play for, and Meigs is known as a political nightmare in many aspects. Can the Board handle this type of hire? Can the community?

I hope so. Because it’s an absolute homerun hire for Meigs.
What does "very hard to play for" mean in this case?
Not real hard to hurt some players feelings in today’s world. When this happens, parents go to Board members and this usually doesn’t turn out well !

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Cypress wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:26 pm
itsme wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:18 am Meigs has not hire a basketball coach yet. The board meets Wednesday the 8th. Knowing this board, they might not hire him. Wasn't the guy some of them wants
If this is the case the board members would need their heads examined.
Canned a coach that went 16-6 while dealing with a ton of injuries to starters.
Now they have the opportunity to hire one of the best coaches around who has a 6'8 son who is an incredible player!
More importantly, I hear he is certified to teach middle school math? We have a position needing filled.

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

If he is "hard to play for" you may as well start the clocl ticking on his eventual firing. They might wait till his son garduates but it wont be long.....

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I guess I could have worded that better... it definitely was not an insult whatsoever.

Coach Davis is very demanding of his athletes (which is a great thing). He will push them every day and if they don't play his way they will be on the bench (also a great thing).

Meigs has had some issues lately so I just wonder how that fit will transpire. If they're smart they mind their P's and Q's for 2 years because with his son coming in they could be really, really special. D4 or D5 they will automatically be one of the favorites not just in the district, but perhaps even the region if it all gels the right way.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Hoopsjunky0112
Waterboy

Post by Hoopsjunky0112 »

Nice hire for Meigs, as they get the 6' 8" Carson Davis on the roster. He is an absolute star in the making.

Coaching wise, Ryan Davis will get to play his trapping matchup zone and uptempo offensive style at Meigs. His defensive style is just a better fit in Southeastern Ohio than it was in Central Ohio. From the sound of it, the folks in BC land were not real pleased with Coach Davis' work ethic. Lack of summer schedule, minimal open gym/workouts, little to no scouting effort, etc. Hardly the devotion they have become accustomed to the last 35 years in their program. The guy has won a lot of games, just think he found out his style is not sustainable in D2 Central Ohio.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Hoopsjunky0112 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:24 am Nice hire for Meigs, as they get the 6' 8" Carson Davis on the roster. He is an absolute star in the making.

Coaching wise, Ryan Davis will get to play his trapping matchup zone and uptempo offensive style at Meigs. His defensive style is just a better fit in Southeastern Ohio than it was in Central Ohio. From the sound of it, the folks in BC land were not real pleased with Coach Davis' work ethic. Lack of summer schedule, minimal open gym/workouts, little to no scouting effort, etc. Hardly the devotion they have become accustomed to the last 35 years in their program. The guy has won a lot of games, just think he found out his style is not sustainable in D2 Central Ohio.
I don't know Coach Davis, but if it is true he doesn't have much of a "summer schedule, minimal open gym/workouts, little or no scouting" -- then I understand why "BC land" was not happy with his work ethic. Again, no idea if this is true but just responding to what was written. Perhaps the greatest value a coach has is taking players and working with them, inspiring them to get better, "coaching them up" to generate both a work ethic and skill set that makes them better as players and the team ultimately better as well. If he comes to Meigs he will win big regardless. I actually think Meigs can be a top 10 Ohio team whether they are D-IV or D-V.

EagleEye3
Riding the Bench

Post by EagleEye3 »

THEConvoK9 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:58 am
Whs95fan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:36 am
THEConvoK9 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:34 am Matt Hoops has just stepped down at Unioto for Basketball.
That comes as a shock to me, coaching football still?
Yes.
Very interesting to see who takes over for Hoops in basketball at Unioto. Two of the bigger names in SE Ohio are right there in the school district, should be easy to replace with a big name.

The Exile
Riding the Bench

Post by The Exile »

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

EagleEye3 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:09 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:36 am

That comes as a shock to me, coaching football still?
Yes.
Very interesting to see who takes over for Hoops in basketball at Unioto. Two of the bigger names in SE Ohio are right there in the school district, should be easy to replace with a big name.
Its a 2 man race between Miller from the girls side or Combs. They’ll let others apply but the new coach will be one of these names.

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

Post by SoutheastHoopsWizard »

E High wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:58 pm
Hookshot wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:37 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:59 am Coach Davis is a very good coach who gets the most out of his kids.

His son will play low D1 (big and can shoot it with 2 years left). Pairing him with what Meigs has returning makes one very special team. Honestly, top 5 in SEO. Could end #1 by years end.

The major question is…. Can Meigs handle Davis’s coaching style? He’s known to be very hard to play for, and Meigs is known as a political nightmare in many aspects. Can the Board handle this type of hire? Can the community?

What does "very hard to play for" mean in this case?
Not real hard to hurt some players feelings in today’s world. When this happens, parents go to Board members and this usually doesn’t turn out well !
There may need to be some tissues kept at the doors of the gym. IF they will let Coach Davis do his thing without interference and support him then this will prove to be a very good thing for Meiggs. If not, Davis will not be there long imho.

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

mlittle wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:26 pm

Yes.
Its a 2 man race between Miller from the girls side or Combs. They’ll let others apply but the new coach will be one of these names.
MLittle with the inside scoop?

I was told Fitch did not apply when asked which surprised me. Excellent coach with solid teams year after year. I have not heard Miller's name mentioned but he is also solid and from there. I believe Miller has a stacked girls squad for the foreseeable future??? Would he want to change to boys??? The U appears to have some great options that many schools do not have. However, I will be shocked if Combs is not the next coach and was likely hired with that in mind.

If we know anything in the Southeast, politics can produce some strange decisions.

Time will tell.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I think Davis is a fantastic coach. That said, he was giving significant minutes to as many as 11 guys on any given night in league play at BC. Lots of subbing, full-line switches.

It’s not by any means a bad thing. It is however unorthodox and meshing that with Meigs is… ???

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

SoutheastHoopsWizard wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:09 pm

I was told Fitch did not apply when asked which surprised me. Excellent coach with solid teams year after year. I have not heard Miller's name mentioned but he is also solid and from there. I believe Miller has a stacked girls squad for the foreseeable future??? Would he want to change to boys??? The U appears to have some great options that many schools do not have. However, I will be shocked if Combs is not the next coach and was likely hired with that in mind.

If we know anything in the Southeast, politics can produce some strange decisions.

Time will tell.
Fitch was certainly solid when he was at Ironton and would be a fine choice, but it Combs wants it he’s your guy. Probably the best program in the district over the last decade when you consider everything. Warren might be better, but that’s probably it as far as consistency, and at a place without worlds of talent walking the halls every year.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Logan has hired Robert Hayes as their next Head Basketball Coach. He had a meet and greet with parents and players last night at LHS.

Live Like A Champion!
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Time will tell.
I doubt Miller goes anywhere and I’m pretty sure Fitch has applied. Both would be solid choices if combs wasn’t already there. But he is and if he wants the job it’s his. This isn’t inside info. It’s just common sense

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

mlittle wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:24 am

Time will tell.
I doubt Miller goes anywhere and I’m pretty sure Fitch has applied. Both would be solid choices if combs wasn’t already there. But he is and if he wants the job it’s his. This isn’t inside info. It’s just common sense
Fitch did not apply for the job and this is confirmed information and not speculation. Like the others here, I also believe Combs will be named the new coach shortly.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Matt Combs new Head Coach at Unioto
Tracey Blevins in line to be next coach at Trimble

Live Like A Champion!
Billy T Kid
Riding the Bench

Post by Billy T Kid »

Logangrad wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:55 am Matt Combs new Head Coach at Unioto
Where has Tracey Blevins coached at in the past? Was he successful?

Billy T Kid
Riding the Bench

Post by Billy T Kid »

I was thinking Combs was the AD at Unioto!?

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Billy T Kid wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:34 pm
Where has Tracey Blevins coached at in the past? Was he successful?
Head Coach at Berne Union and Fisher Catholic. Both were successful when he was there.

Live Like A Champion!

Return to “Boys Basketball”