The 3 Weeks of the Convo "Basketball :30" begins Thursday 2/29 - Saturday 3/16 ...

beg003
All Conference

Re: The 3 Weeks of the Convo "Basketball :30" begins Thursday 2/29 - Saturday 3/16 ...

Post by beg003 »

New Lex pulls off the upset over Marietta, 43-40.

SidelineJoe
Waterboy

Re: The 3 Weeks of the Convo "Basketball :30" begins Thursday 2/29 - Saturday 3/16 ...

Post by SidelineJoe »

I don’t believe this was that much of an upset. Watched several MHS games at Marietta and Tigers always seemed to come out on the positive side of questionable calls.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

SidelineJoe wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:57 pm I don’t believe this was that much of an upset. Watched several MHS games at Marietta and Tigers always seemed to come out on the positive side of questionable calls.
You obviously haven’t seen enough. Tonight, 70-80% of the “50-50” calls went to New Lex. Regardless, New Lex played hard and did a solid job defensively. Credit to them and to Hanson and Stephens for carrying the points load. It was an off night for Marietta and some of that (not all) caused by New Lex. The better team doesn’t always prevail, just ask Washington Courthouse and Unioto. Congratulations to the Panthers for grinding out the win.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

It was a tested tournament team versus a team with little tournament experience. Makes a little difference.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

E High wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:20 pm It was a tested tournament team versus a team with little tournament experience. Makes a little difference.
This is an interesting and probably appropriate observation. Marietta hadn't been to a district game for 15 years. During that time they hardly had any winning seasons until last season. I agree that can make a difference -- 3 or 4 points -- sure.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

DII is a monster in the Southeast, it’s super difficult to win and typically it’s gotta be on the high end of coaches. Amazing to consider that Coach Maddox only has won twice, because of how consistent he is.

In the last 15 seasons, there’s only been a handful of schools to win more than 1 district title in that span

Logan Elm - 4
Chillicothe, Unioto - 3
Warren, Fairfield Union, Vinton County, Waverly - 2
Athens, Fairland, Zane Trace, McClain - 1

In the last 10 years, it’s even fewer

Unioto - 3
Fairfield Union, Vinton County - 2

Of course, you’ve gotta consider that Chillicothe, Fairland and Zane Trace have all won in the past 15 seasons that are no longer DII.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:44 am DII is a monster in the Southeast, it’s super difficult to win and typically it’s gotta be on the high end of coaches. Amazing to consider that Coach Maddox only has won twice, because of how consistent he is.

In the last 15 seasons, there’s only been a handful of schools to win more than 1 district title in that span

Logan Elm - 4
Chillicothe, Unioto - 3
Warren, Fairfield Union, Vinton County, Waverly - 2
Athens, Fairland, Zane Trace, McClain - 1

In the last 10 years, it’s even fewer

Unioto - 3
Fairfield Union, Vinton County - 2

Of course, you’ve gotta consider that Chillicothe, Fairland and Zane Trace have all won in the past 15 seasons that are no longer DII.
Good info !!!

Swampfox13
Riding the Bench

Post by Swampfox13 »

I sold my horse and buggy and bought a new car with all the features. It is really comfortable ride. What you must realize that there are fans that follow their teams all season and may not have access or ability to purchase tickets on-line. The cost of a computer access to the internet is more that the cost of a ticket. With costs of everything else climbing some can't come up with the additional costs. 'There is another old saying progress isn't what its crack up to be. There are fans that don't have credit cards. It maybe that they can't get one or they don't feel comfortable with them. So we penalize them for this. There are more people than you think that feel comfortable with cash. I would say these policies cost them tickets and alienate the fan base.

val13
Freshman Team

Post by val13 »

Will there be split admission this Saturday between the D2 District Final and the 2 D3 District Finals?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

val13 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:39 pm Will there be split admission this Saturday between the D2 District Final and the 2 D3 District Finals?
One ticket is good for all games. I’m sure there is no reentry though, would have to buy another ticket if you left for a bite to eat or something.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Did anyone else notice the "Program"? Was the same exact program I got at the Waverly @ Warren game 2 weeks ago, no records, no updated brackets, no changes at all. They didn't even have past district champions listed or any kind of records in the district like they previously did.

Go Blue
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Whs95fan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:36 pm Did anyone else notice the "Program"? Was the same exact program I got at the Waverly @ Warren game 2 weeks ago, no records, no updated brackets, no changes at all. They didn't even have past district champions listed or any kind of records in the district like they previously did.
Someone stated that the printing costs went through the roof, so that was likely why the great program is no more.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:07 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:36 pm Did anyone else notice the "Program"? Was the same exact program I got at the Waverly @ Warren game 2 weeks ago, no records, no updated brackets, no changes at all. They didn't even have past district champions listed or any kind of records in the district like they previously did.
Someone stated that the printing costs went through the roof, so that was likely why the great program is no more.
I miss the "education" I got from reading the programs from years gone by ... the history of the teams in relation to their making it to the districts /the Convo etc. hard to grow the game without "the history" of the game out there for all to read ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:20 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:07 pm
I miss the "education" I got from reading the programs from years gone by ... the history of the teams in relation to their making it to the districts /the Convo etc. hard to grow the game without "the history" of the game out there for all to read ...
Uniotobasketball.weebly.com has a lot of the records and whatnot if you click on the Archives tab on the far right. Then about halfway down the page is a link to the Southeast District Tournament Capsules. If they haven’t been updated this year, they will be in the coming days.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

D4 District Semi's Thursday 2/29 :

South Webster 62 vs Symmes Valley 47
Notre Dame 48 vs Trimble 49

D4 District Semi's Saturday 3/2:

Fairfield Leesburg 62 vs Manchester 33
Federal Hocking 52 vs Waterford 41
------------------------------------------------------

D3 District Semi's Sunday 3/3 :

Wheelersburg 58 vs South Points 55
Northwest 71 vs Portsmouth 49
Minford 58 vs Fairland 45
North Adams 60 vs Ironton 56
----------------------------------------------------

D2 District Semi's Monday 3/4:

Marietta 40 vs New Lexington 43
Warren 54 vs Logan Elm 34

District Finals

D4 Friday 3/8:

SE 2 ... South Webster 51 vs Trimble 34
SE 1 ... Fairfield Leesburg 56 vs Federal Hocking 52
----------------------
Saturday 3/9 District Finals

D3 SE 2 North Adams 70 vs Minford 61
D2 District New Lexington 46 vs Warren 54 OT
D3 SE 1 Northwest 59 vs Wheelersburg 42

SE Regional Semi's

D4 Tuesday 3/12 ... Hiland 52 vs Northside Christian 32, South Webster 48 vs Fairfield Leesburg 45
D3 Wednseday 3/13 ... Northwest vs Malvern 6pm, North Adams vs Harvest Prep 8pm
D2 Thursday 3/14 ... Maysville vs Bishop Hartley 6, Warren vs Tri Valley Dresden 8pm

SE Regional Finals

D4 Friday 3/15 ... South Webster vs Berlin Hiland 7pm

Split Schedule for the Saturday Regional Finals D2 & D3
D2 Saturday 3/16 ... 3pm
D3 Saturday 3/16 ... 7pm
Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Thebabybull
Freshman Team

Post by Thebabybull »

Pfloyd, I totally agree I really enjoyed looking back and seen who won at the district level and when. really sad!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

D3 SE 2 North Adams vs Minford ............. Noon on Saturday 3/9 ... due to the Lady Green Devils playing for a Regional 'ship in Logan at 7pm Saturday evening ... IS a big day for NA hoops both boys and girls ... COULD BE very special !!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

District Finals

D4 Friday 3/8:

SE 2 ... South Webster vs Trimble ... 6pm
SE 1 ... Fairfield Leesburg vs Federal Hocking ... 8pm

Game 1 : 2 Legends of the SEO coaching Coach Norm Persin (799 wins) vs Coach Howie Caldwell (610 wins) ... you don't have to hype a game anymore than THAT ... 2 coaches with coaching staffs who have SEEN it all, BEEN THERE before, who KNOW what has to be done to get a W in a "district finale' " ... just as they both KNOW that it "ain't" about style points it's ALL about "survive and advance" "1 point more on the big scoreboard than your opponent" "32 minutes , 1 dollar= 4 quarters " ... South Webster is the "on paper" decided favorite ... size, strength, talent, HIM ... Trimble - a team that has been "undersold" all season ... no much size, not a great perimeter shooting team, BUT a TEAM with heart, team history, and a motivator of young men as a head coach ...

Game 2 : Coach Williams for Fairfield - only lost 1 game last season, 3 games this season coming into tonight ... 40+ wins & 4 losses? in 2 years?? as competitive of a coach court side as you will find as he "pushes his players" ... great floor general in Larkin Friend & and solid pieces all around vs Coach Thompson for Fed Hock & a staff that have been THE team in the TVC ... in a year that "on paper" looked to be a "down" year , not a knock on the FH team but the Lancers returned only 2 of the top 8 players off of last season outstanding Fed Hock squad ... Coach Thompson & his staff have taken athletes and turned them into not only solid basketball players but a solid TEAM as well ... players who know their roles, fill their roles and when given an opportunity by the opposition have shown the ability to make teams pay from all positions on the napkin stat sheet ... FH has played arguably the most difficult schedule of any D4 team in SEOhio - playing up vs Marietta (2 times) , Warren at Warren, Vinton County at VC, played South Webster & Fairfield Leesburg ... they know "things" ... if Tariq Cottrill/Drew Airhart play/shoot with the knowledge that this is it /one and done ... don't leave after Game #1 tonight, Game #2 will be special imo ...

... time to head down Rte 33 ! ... get your game faces on, it's show time ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

D4 District Semi's Thursday 2/29 :

South Webster 62 vs Symmes Valley 47
Notre Dame 48 vs Trimble 49

D4 District Semi's Saturday 3/2:

Fairfield Leesburg 62 vs Manchester 33
Federal Hocking 52 vs Waterford 41
------------------------------------------------------

D3 District Semi's Sunday 3/3 :

Wheelersburg 58 vs South Points 55
Northwest 71 vs Portsmouth 49
Minford 58 vs Fairland 45
North Adams 60 vs Ironton 56

D2 District Semi's Monday 3/4:

Marietta 40 vs New Lexington 43
Warren 54 vs Logan Elm 34

District Finals

D4 Friday 3/8:

SE 2 ... South Webster 51 vs Trimble 34
SE 1 ... Fairfield Leesburg 56 vs Federal Hocking 52
----------------------
Saturday 3/9 District Finals

D3 SE 2 North Adams 70 vs Minford 61
D2 District New Lexington 46 vs Warren 54 OT
D3 SE 1 Northwest 59 vs Wheelersburg 42

SE Regional Semi's

D4 Tuesday 3/12 ... Hiland vs Northside Christian 6pm, South Webster vs Fairfield Leesburg 8pm
D3 Wednseday 3/13 ... Northwest vs Malvern 6pm, North Adams vs Harvest Prep 8pm
D2 Thursday 3/14 ... Maysville vs Bishop Hartley 6, Warren vs Tri Valley Dresden 8pm

SE Regional Finals

D4 Friday 3/15 ... 7pm

Split Schedule for the Saturday Regional Finals D2 & D3
D2 Saturday 3/16 ... 3pm
D3 Saturday 3/16 ... 7pm

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

15 games down and 9 BIG TIME games to go this week for the Regional Semi's and Finals ... like I posted before, I will see all but 2 games (missing the D3 Semi's Wednesday night) ... Keeping my fingers crossed that BOTH North Adams and Northwest win Wednesday night so that we are guaranteed at least one SE Ohio district team to come out and go to the Show in Dayton next week !!! ... Warren vs Tri Valley - winnable game as both New Lex and Maysville both beat Tri Valley in the regular season ... Maysville has all world Alex Bobb (6-3) just watched Tri Valley lose to Maysville on video/ Bobb with 31 points in that one/ 8 or 9 treys ... South Webster/Fairfield Leesburg ? got to get by each other and my guess Hiland who has played without 2-3 players since Christmas - just shows you they are THAT good ... but they are thin on the bench I would think ... Hoping to get to at least a game or 2 in Dayton NEXT week - the semi's anyway ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”