Re: 3/3 Northwest v Portsmouth

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Did not see a blowout happening.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Northwest is well coached, they are also playing as a team.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

20 point win for NW. Got a shot next week to go to the regionals.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

Knowbody will admit it but Portsmouth won't be as good next year. I'm not sure Coach knew exactly what he was getting into.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

PTrojan59 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:53 am I assume NW will try their best to lock Berry down, maybe get him in foul trouble. Portsmouth will need guys to step up again like they did against Piketon. Breech & Loper both had nice offensive games. They’ll need to duplicate that against the Mohawks. Portsmouth likes to get out and play fast, and really press you on defense. I’ll be interested to see if NW can handle those 2 things. On the other hand I’ll be interested to see how Physical Portsmouth gets with NW and can Portsmouth defend the 3 ball, numerous teams have attacked the Trojans via the 3 this season, although I think they’ve gotten better at defending it. Should be a great crowd on hand at the Convo. Go Trojans!
Congrats to Northwest on the win. Portsmouth didn’t play well, but you have to credit the NW defense a lot, causing a lot of turnovers. Berry got his, but had absolutely no scoring help outside of Loper with a few and some garbage time buckets. Trojans took a ton of bad shots, were out muscled, missed a ton of free throws and could not defend the 3. I mentioned defending the 3 being a problem early in the season, they had done better but were exposed again in this game. Overall Portsmouth played very undisciplined basketball. Didn’t play as a team, a lot of complaining to the refs and just careless shots and passes, played with a lot of frustration. Brutal way to end the season. With that said it was awesome to get back to the convo under coach Lisath. Program is in good hands, just need some kids to come out and develop. Next year looks a bit bleak with a lack of talent and kids returning. Looking forward to the NW & Burg game next week.

Who Dey!
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Portsmouth has been inconsistent all year they would beat a team by 20 then turn around and get blowed out by by the same team imo portsmouth played horrible today they just looked out of sink and just happy to be there I'll give northwest credit for taking advantage of portsmouth woes but NW looked pretty darn good. Especially free throw shooting. Burg v/s NW gonna be a good one !! I'll take Burg in a close one

Burg grad 85
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Lovehoops1 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:24 pm Knowbody will admit it but Portsmouth won't be as good next year. I'm not sure Coach knew exactly what he was getting into.
Who won’t admit it? Portsmouth loses a bunch of seniors, and their jv team and incoming freshmen class are both really down. Unless they can load up on multiple transfers, looking like a real tough 2-3 year stretch coming up in P-town.*

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

Good win by NW. NW may have played in the middle SOC this year but all their playmakers have played in the BIG SOC every year previously, so all the talk about about strength of schedule went out the window. Portsmouth had a great season they should be proud.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Casper the ghost wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:08 pm NW had the easiest schedule in the area and loss to couple soc 3 teams . If they wouldn’t have moved down they might be 500 this year . Their numbers are almost double to south webster who stayed in the good soc cause a harder schedule prepares you tournament . NW elected to play with the weak soc and talk smack all year long . Portsmouth wins big
Good call Casper!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

MeanJoeGreene wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:36 am It wouldn't be a Portsmouth thread without Ghost of Wanker coming on and picking against Portsmouth.
Wouldn’t be a portsmouth thread without you dummies in it. BLOWED TF OUT

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

MeanJoeGreene wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:36 am It wouldn't be a Portsmouth thread without Ghost of Wanker coming on and picking against Portsmouth.

You know how the wanker rolls , always throwing poop against the wall hoping for something to stick so he can say I told you so and makes him thinks he's smart 🤓🤓he predict Portsmouth to be below 500 at the start of the season so he had to hang around a long time to get his woody but his step brother will take care of it for him 😄😄😄

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:26 pm
PTrojan59 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:53 am I assume NW will try their best to lock Berry down, maybe get him in foul trouble. Portsmouth will need guys to step up again like they did against Piketon. Breech & Loper both had nice offensive games. They’ll need to duplicate that against the Mohawks. Portsmouth likes to get out and play fast, and really press you on defense. I’ll be interested to see if NW can handle those 2 things. On the other hand I’ll be interested to see how Physical Portsmouth gets with NW and can Portsmouth defend the 3 ball, numerous teams have attacked the Trojans via the 3 this season, although I think they’ve gotten better at defending it. Should be a great crowd on hand at the Convo. Go Trojans!
Congrats to Northwest on the win. Portsmouth didn’t play well, but you have to credit the NW defense a lot, causing a lot of turnovers. Berry got his, but had absolutely no scoring help outside of Loper with a few and some garbage time buckets. Trojans took a ton of bad shots, were out muscled, missed a ton of free throws and could not defend the 3. I mentioned defending the 3 being a problem early in the season, they had done better but were exposed again in this game. Overall Portsmouth played very undisciplined basketball. Didn’t play as a team, a lot of complaining to the refs and just careless shots and passes, played with a lot of frustration. Brutal way to end the season. With that said it was awesome to get back to the convo under coach Lisath. Program is in good hands, just need some kids to come out and develop. Next year looks a bit bleak with a lack of talent and kids returning. Looking forward to the NW & Burg game next week.
👏 👍

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

Congrats to NW! This group of kids has been fun to watch since Jr High.

Not surprised they won, but I am surprised by the margin, NW has 2 REALLY good players and all 5 starters are good, they play well together and know their roles.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

biggest surprise of the day yesterday. NW played the best team ball at both ends. That was about as sorry of a performance that I've every seen from PHS, its hard for me to believe that there is no talent in that school on the hardwood. Because outside of Berry, I'm not sure many of those on the roster start for the other teams that played yesterday. More missed layups and blown defensive assignments than you could count.

Congrats to NW, executed the game plan to perfection

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I had to opportunity to see all the games yesterday. There were some good games. As far as the Northwest vs PHS. The better coached team, the more disciplined team, the smarter team and the team that executed the best won! In each of those areas it wasn’t even close. The NW coach had his kids prepared and did a masterful job with controlling tempo. I would say it was a master class in coaching.

Seofanatic
Riding the Bench

Post by Seofanatic »

As stated earlier, Portsmouth, and all the OVC teams yesterday for that matter, hadn't played against defenses they saw yesterday. Northwest made their shots and played great defense. Berry got his, as normal, but their secondary scorers had no chance.

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

art_vandelay wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:29 pm
Lovehoops1 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:24 pm Knowbody will admit it but Portsmouth won't be as good next year. I'm not sure Coach knew exactly what he was getting into.
Who won’t admit it? Portsmouth loses a bunch of seniors, and their jv team and incoming freshmen class are both really down. Unless they can load up on multiple transfers, looking like a real tough 2-3 year stretch coming up in P-town.*
I am sorry you are correct people with any knowledge will admit it. Will Coach make it 3 to 5 years if he doesn't get some transfers or will he have had enough. He still never played very much press use 8 or 10 players and run run run. He has less of chance to do that next few season. It's easy to do all that and win when you have 8 or so athletes.

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

Post by SoutheastHoopsWizard »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:29 am I had to opportunity to see all the games yesterday. There were some good games. As far as the Northwest vs PHS. The better coached team, the more disciplined team, the smarter team and the team that executed the best won! In each of those areas it wasn’t even close. The NW coach had his kids prepared and did a masterful job with controlling tempo. I would say it was a master class in coaching.
Agreed. Coach Scarberry has always been underrated IMO.

Return to “Boys Basketball”