Warren 57 Marietta 53 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Warren 57 Marietta 53 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Warren 57
Marietta 53 a final

I've gotten eyes on a bunch of basketball this season, taking in as much information as I can from each game, each team, running it through the committee of one, making the comparisons for each team vs (in my mind) the top teams in SEO ... it's been 8 weeks once Saturday's menu is played out - imo , I watched the 2 best TEAMS in SEO go at it last night at Sutton Gymnasium - neither are perfect, both - IF all phases of each team play their best games - no one beats either one of them ... most nights, all phases of TEAM "aren't" there, BUT with each - Marietta & Warren - both can STILL get the W vs most opposing teams ... vs each other? both are THAT good - that EACH can take away more than one phase of the opponents game ... Marietta went to the Warrior Coliseum - took away BOTH Taylor & Stadelman (11 & 16 pts respectively) , without Taylor effective INSIDE/ the Warriors were forced OUTSIDE ... the MHS D held Warren to 0/14 from behind the arc ... Marietta with Alex Kendall (arguably the best all around big man in SEO) 19 points/ Zaiden Wittekind put on a show for 22 pts ... the Tigers controlled the boards with Kelley/Wittekind/Kendall combining for 26 boards ... Marietta 49 Warren 44 @ Warren ... last night at Sutton Gymnasium ... hot, humid, standing room only - not only standing room only but sitting in the aisles room only, standing along the ob at each end of the court packed atmosphere! - high school basketball Below the Lancaster -Dixon Line , gotta love it ... AFTER the game, the last thing I wrote on my napkin stat sheet was "Down goes Frazier!" ... 2 heavyweights in SEO basketball in Warren & Marietta ... the Warriors of Coach Maddox have BEEN the measuring stick of programs for over 20 years, Marietta had lost some of its luster over the years BUT under Coach Gardner/Coach Warner the "shine is back" , Tiger basketball is back ... last night , just as in Round 1 at Warren, 2 quality teams, each with their "go to" players, this round the Warren one two punch got the job done ... Trent Taylor (yep, he's one of the OTHER arguably best big men in SEO) did Trent Taylor "things" with 19 points & Julian Stadelman put the Warriors on his back in the 3rd qtr. reeling off 15 points/27 pts for the game ... Warren went 6/11 from downtown vs 0/14 in game #1 ... you could STOP right there and have "the difference in the games" - Warren knocked down shots ... throw in the usual trademark Warrior D, 12/14 from the FT line in the 4th qtr, Jacob Sealey doing "a defensive number" on Alex Kendall - and yes when AK got the ball anywhere inside WHS doubled down on him - adjustments ... Marietta in Round #2, DIDN'T control the boards ... they still shot the 3 ball well (7/15 for the game from deep - it just seemed like those 8 misses were bigger for some reason) ... they still had 3 in double figures scoring Wittekind 15/Kendall 11/ Lieras-Kelley 12 ... last game at Warren , the Tigers had 30pts in the paint/8pts in transition/6 pts on putbacks vs last night at home 22pts in the paint/2 pts in transition/6 pts off of offensive boards ... Warren 57 Marietta 53 a final

... The Tigers drew first blood, Alexa Kendall on a drive in the paint for 2pts - the 6-8 senior would add a 2nd bucket in the paint 4pts/ Zaiden Wittekind seemed to pick up where he left off in the first meeting of these 2 teams as he put up 2 buckets in the paint (4pts) ... Izak Knighten hit a triple (3pts) and off the bench Brayden Jones did what he specializes in - hit a 3 ball from the corner (3pts) ... for Warren 6-6 Trent Taylor did what he was unable to do at Warren, he got in the scoring column in the opening qtr - the senior post player took the ball strong to the rack and finished for 4 points ... Julian Stadelman topped off the scoring for the Warriors as the 6-1 guard hit a midrange jumper to open the WHS scoring and a triple to finish up the Warrior's scoring ... Marietta 14 Warren 9 after 1 ... my napkin stat sheet "note to self" - "Warren is putting a body on everyone - physical" - more than the usual physical, Warren D ... I saw the build up in the Point Pleasant game when the Warrior D held PP to 14 pts - FOR the GAME ... I noticed a little different "substitution pattern" as well - the starters played "a little" longer before subbing out in that one as well ... it would have been the same vs Marietta last night but the physical D, had Chase Lupardus getting 2 fouls early which forced Nick Cressey off the bench early ... quarter 2 was defense - both sides ... Warren forced 6 Tiger turnovers/ Marietta returned the favor making the Warriors hand it over 5 times - each team picking up a transition bucket (Stadelman for Warren and Kendall for Marietta) ... Warren opened the quarter on a 6-0 run as Taylor attacked the rim for 3 straight WHS buckets in the first 2 minutes of the period 15-14 Warriors (6:09 on the clock) ... the MHS only fg in the period was the Kendall transition bucket, a pair of Wittekind FTs was it for the Tigers as Warren won the quarter 9-4 ... after 2 qtrs, Warren was 1/5 from behind the arc/Marietta 2/5 ... Warren 7 turnovers/Marietta 8 turnovers ... as even as it gets - Marietta 18 Warren 18 at intermission ... high school basketball, college basketball , basketball - it's a game of runs ... who has them, who absorbs them or who folds under the onslaught by the opposition ... when you have 2 teams of the caliber of Warren and Marietta, 2 coaching staffs led by 2 of the best coaches in SEO - no one folds EVEN when "that moment" hits you in the face ... coming out of the locker rooms - adjustments were made - Taylor had 10 pts in the 1st half for Warren - Marietta began doubling down when TT got the ball inside ... Warren did "the" Warren thing - after scoring, a 1-2-2 three quarter court trapping D ... doesn't seem like much BUT it does speed up the opposition/forces "thinking" with the ball ... Marietta got a deep 3 ball from Seth Britton ... Stadelman answered with a midrange jumper ... Alex Kendall with a putback for 2 pts ... Marietta 23 Warren 20 with 5:21 on the clock ... after a Stadelman circus 2 pointer from the foul line & 1 ... Jacob Sealey drilled a 3 ball from the left foul line extended ... Wittekind for the Tigers added an & 1 on a drive and FT to make it Marietta 26 Warren 27 with 3:23 left in the 3rd ... Warren went on a 15-3 run to close out the 3rd including 5 straight 3's (beginning with the Sealey trey that forced the TO at 3:23 to play in the qtr) ... "Capt. Obvious" says "Warren knocked down shots" ... Stadelman drained triple's number 2 & 3 in the qtr for the Warriors ... Connor Barry added a trey for #4 ... Stadelman from NBA distance in front of the Warren bench drained three pointer #5 in a row , 5/5 from 3 point land in the quarter ... stopping the run was Seth Britton with a 3 ball for the Tigers his 2nd trey in the period ... Stadelman closed out the quarter with a driving shot, high off the backboard for 2 pts , the shooting/point guard's 14 & 15th points in the quarter ... Warren 41 Marietta 29 after 3 ... the good TEAMS "take the hits" & return "punches" ... Marietta IS one of those good TEAMS, under a coaching staff that is as good as they come ... the Tigers didn't flinch ... Marietta outscored Warren 24-16 in the final quarter ... Warren had effectively made both Wittekind and Kendall "work" for everything they got on the scoreboard through 3 periods ... in the 4th, the Marietta full court pressure forced 4 Warren turnovers, Eyljah Lieras-Kelley who had been held scoreless thru 3 dropped 12 points on his own ball in the quarter - a pair of 3's included ... Warren pulled in the reigns offensively, looking to run clock, force the Tigers to 1) foul which would put WHS at the line to win or lose the game 2) Tigers had to score on the Warrior D ... BOTH happened , Marietta put Warren on the line for 14 FTs in the 4th, Warren answered under the pressure of THE game, THE crowd ... WHS hit 12/14 from the line with the only fg in the middle of the period on a 2pter by Trent Taylor on an inbounds lob entry pass by Stadelman at the rim ... 7:21 on the clock Warren 41-29 ... by 2:32 to play Marietta had outscored Warren 10-5 ... WHS 46 MHS 39 ... 2:13 Warren 47 Marietta 43 ... :51.7 Warren 51 Marietta 47 ... :17.9 Warren 55 Marietta 53 ... Stadelman fittingly closed out the game hitting 2/2 from the line ... Warren 57 Marietta 55 a final ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Marietta ...

Scoring ... Zaiden Wittekind 15, Elyjah Lieras-Kelley 12, Alex Kendall 11, Seth Britton 6, Braden Jones 6, Izak Knighten 3
3 Pointers ... 7/15 ... Brayden Jones 2, Seth Britton 2, Elyjah Lieras-Kelley 1, Alex Kendall 1, Izak Knighten 1
FTs ... 10/11
TOs ... 14
PnP .... 11 fgs/ 22 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ..... 3 fgs/ 6 points on putback buckets

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Warren

Scoring ... Julian Stadelman 27, Trent Taylor 19, Jacob Sealey, 5, Connor Barry 3, Chase Lupardus 2, Hayden Wells 1
3 Pointers ... 6/11 ... Julian Stadelman 4, Jacob Sealey 1, Connor Barry 1
FTs .... 15/21 ... 12/14 in the 4th
TOs .... 14
PnP ... 9 fgs/ 18 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ... 0

Whs95fan
S

Re: Warren 57 Marietta 53 a final

Post by Whs95fan »

What a great all around high school basketball game. Coach Maddox and co were able to make some adjustments from the first go around and knock down some shots when they needed them. I would not be surprised to see a round 3 at the convo...

Go Blue
Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

I’m hoping theres a round three as well. I’m glad both teams split in the regular season. As the old adage goes, it’s hard to beat a team three times in the same season.

I’m looking for Warren’s Trent Taylor to keep playing inspired ball. Warren needs him to be an aggressive offensive threat. Marietta’s Wittekind needs to continue his stellar play for Marietta to stay at the top of SE Ohio basketball. I’m not worried about Stadleman & Kendall, they will most likely get their piece of the cake.

Then theres the other pieces…role players, game planning, and in game coaching adjustments. I think Warren has the advantage with role players. Both teams have stellar coaching so it’s gonna be a doozy if both meet in districts.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Great recap and think you captured the atmosphere and magnitude of the game well. What an environment! Sutton was essentially full by the start of Q2 of the JV game. Probably the largest crowd I've ever seen at a Freshman game. Came down to the adjustments that the Warren staff made and basically forced someone other than Kendall to beat them. Lieres-Kelley made some really big plays for Marietta down the stretch but it wasn't enough. Would be an absolutely awesome rubber match at the Convo...really hoping for it.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

boss8 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:49 pm Great recap and think you captured the atmosphere and magnitude of the game well. What an environment! Sutton was essentially full by the start of Q2 of the JV game. Probably the largest crowd I've ever seen at a Freshman game. Came down to the adjustments that the Warren staff made and basically forced someone other than Kendall to beat them. Lieres-Kelley made some really big plays for Marietta down the stretch but it wasn't enough. Would be an absolutely awesome rubber match at the Convo...really hoping for it.
What’s mostly missing from post-game analysis of this game (and others recently) has been the numerous no-calls when Kendall gets the ball and makes a move to the basket. Quite an advantage when the opponent does not have to worry about sending Kendall the foul line (zero free throw attempts). This is not to complain that the calls were one-sided (Warren shot twice as many free throws but that doesn’t mean the ratio was not right). In general, officials in the area more than anywhere in Ohio allow armbars, two hands and other violations that can more so impact skilled post players. Way more ignoring of fouls than at an MAC or OAC college game. Taylor was very good and Stadelman was tremendous in the 3rd quarter, so they deserve high praise for their play, no question.

jcbigblue13
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue13 »

SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:46 pm
boss8 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:49 pm Great recap and think you captured the atmosphere and magnitude of the game well. What an environment! Sutton was essentially full by the start of Q2 of the JV game. Probably the largest crowd I've ever seen at a Freshman game. Came down to the adjustments that the Warren staff made and basically forced someone other than Kendall to beat them. Lieres-Kelley made some really big plays for Marietta down the stretch but it wasn't enough. Would be an absolutely awesome rubber match at the Convo...really hoping for it.
What’s mostly missing from post-game analysis of this game (and others recently) has been the numerous no-calls when Kendall gets the ball and makes a move to the basket. Quite an advantage when the opponent does not have to worry about sending Kendall the foul line (zero free throw attempts). This is not to complain that the calls were one-sided (Warren shot twice as many free throws but that doesn’t mean the ratio was not right). In general, officials in the area more than anywhere in Ohio allow armbars, two hands and other violations that can more so impact skilled post players. Way more ignoring of fouls than at an MAC or OAC college game. Taylor was very good and Stadelman was tremendous in the 3rd quarter, so they deserve high praise for their play, no question.
Only one of the officials was from this area...the other 2 were out of the wheeling area I think...officals didn't decide this game...if anything Gardner not calling a timeout in the 3rd to regroup and slow Warrens momentum was just as big a factor in the outcome.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

I’m not going to make the story about the officiating because that wasn’t the story. It was a great, dogfight of a game between two arch rivals. I don’t think the officiating was great on either side, and do think there were some missed foul calls committed against Kendall, but I’m not going to take away credit from Warren’s defense.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

jcbigblue13 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:07 pm
Only one of the officials was from this area...the other 2 were out of the wheeling area I think...officals didn't decide this game...if anything Gardner not calling a timeout in the 3rd to regroup and slow Warrens momentum was just as big a factor in the outcome.
While I can’t say it was the deciding factor, that was a huge moment in the game and I was certainly sitting in the stands waiting for him to call timeout. He’s done a great job overall and I don’t want to second guess him but definitely needed to slow that momentum.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

boss8 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:30 pm
I’m not going to make the story about the officiating because that wasn’t the story. It was a great, dogfight of a game between two arch rivals. I don’t think the officiating was great on either side, and do think there were some missed foul calls committed against Kendall, but I’m not going to take away credit from Warren’s defense.
I think what some are saying is how a game is called can be a factor, and clearly was in this case. Calling the game according to the rule book may have very well changed the outcome. And I don't think the calls all went against Marietta. Not at all. But strangely far too many went against Kendall.
Having said that, of course Warren gets credit for understanding that's the way the game was going to be called, and did a great job limiting him under those conditions.

Return to “Boys Basketball”