Portsmouth Trojans 2023-24

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2023-24

Post by Jussmypinion »

The Loper's live in Portsmouth, and if he was only transferring for soccer reasons, he wouldn't have enrolled at Portsmouth. He could've just played Soccer at PHS like the kids from ND. I heard he's also playing baseball. Loper's father and uncle are PHS alumni as well, so my guess is he stays. He'd have to sit out back half of his senior year if he went back. My money is on him wearing red and blue next year.

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

Jussmypinion wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:44 pm The Loper's live in Portsmouth, and if he was only transferring for soccer reasons, he wouldn't have enrolled at Portsmouth. He could've just played Soccer at PHS like the kids from ND. I heard he's also playing baseball. Loper's father and uncle are PHS alumni as well, so my guess is he stays. He'd have to sit out back half of his senior year if he went back. My money is on him wearing red and blue next year.
No he couldn't play soccer like some ND kids do. There are ways he can go to Clay and not sit out at all.

Real Time
Freshman Team

Post by Real Time »

He had to transfer to Portsmouth to play at Portsmouth, ND kids are allowed to play due to special rules for private schools. I was told his mom won't let him lie about his address to play ball, so they live in Portsmouth, he will be playing for Portsmouth next season.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I wish Malachi the best whatever he chooses to do. Great kid and good basketball player. Very important part of our team this season. I hope he stays.

Whatever happens, Portsmouth has been fielding a team as far back as 1902. We will have a team next season, and most likely will be an underdog in many games. I have a feeling that Coach Lisath will get the best out of them. It won't be the first time he's faced something like this.

One thing that looks for certain from what I'm hearing is a very competitive non-conference schedule in 2024-25. Coach Lisath wants to challenge his kids with a demanding schedule.
Last edited by trojandave on Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Just want to give a shout out to our 7th grade Trojan boys team that won the OVC tournament. Our 7th graders played up all season against the opposing 8th graders, and only lost 2 games. In the OVC tournament, they played against the 7th grade teams and won every game handily.

GREAT JOB COACHES JOE GREENE AND KEVIN MONROE!!

Mark this down......this team has at least 3 players who could start on the varsity when they're freshmen......Joe Greene, Ryan Monroe, and Mekhi Berry.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Jussmypinion wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:44 pm The Loper's live in Portsmouth, and if he was only transferring for soccer reasons, he wouldn't have enrolled at Portsmouth. He could've just played Soccer at PHS like the kids from ND. I heard he's also playing baseball. Loper's father and uncle are PHS alumni as well, so my guess is he stays. He'd have to sit out back half of his senior year if he went back. My money is on him wearing red and blue next year.

The in crowd at clay seems to think he's coming back, neither team will be looking at a winning record he should go to burg

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Nice win tonight to stay in the OVC race

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Let me clear up any rumors about Malachi leaving Portsmouth. Last night I talked to his father after the Chesapeake game, and he assured me 100% that Malachi is STAYING at PHS and WILL NOT be going back to Clay.

Case closed.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth got a huge OVC win last night at Chesapeake, as the Trojans bested the Panthers 59-44 @CHS on Senior Night. PHS is now 5-0 away from home in the OVC, leaving them as the only unbeaten team on the road in conference play. Chesapeake led 18-13 late in the 2nd quarter, but a 7-0 run by PHS gave the Trojans a 20-18 lead at the break. In fact, PHS went on a 17-0 run after that 5 point Panther lead.

In the 2nd half, the Trojans built a 38-20 lead, but the Panthers cut that margin to 38-29 on the strength of a couple of 3's. PHS then answered immediately with 3's by Malachi Loper and DeAndre Berry. That killed Chesapeake's rally, and the Trojans maintained a healthy lead to the finish.

DeAndre Berry scored 20 points, while Malachi Loper, Isaiah Lewis, and Donnovan Breech all made good offensive contributions. Noah Livingston was a monster on the boards, as he grabbed double digit rebounds and blocked several shots. Berry passed Damond Mannon's career total of 1,057. DeAndre now has 1,073 for his career, good for 10th all time.

PHS is now 11-5 overall, and 7-3 in the OVC. The Trojans hope to take care of their home court tonight as the Portsmouth West Senators come calling. 4 of 5 losses by PHS have come on their home court. Portsmouth's 11 wins matches the total from the 2021-22 season, when PHS went 11-11. One more win will give the Trojans the 81st winning season in school history. Also PHS has a very good chance of finishing higher than 5th in the OVC for the 1st time in 5 years. Currently the Trojans are tied for 3rd behind South Point and Chesapeake. PHS still has road games at South Point and Fairland, and home games vs. Ironton and Fairland. The Trojans control their own destiny by winning out and would finish no worse than a tie for 1st.
Last edited by trojandave on Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

DeAndre Berry's march up the PHS 1,000 point ladder continued against Chesapeake as he passed Damond Mannon's 1,057 points into 10th place with his current total of 1,073. He is 23 points behind Dion McKinley, Wayne Evans, and Matthew Fraulini, all of whom scored 1,096 points for their Trojan careers. He is 183 points behind his coach, Jeff Lisath, who is 6th on the all time list. With 6 games left in the regular season and with the uncertainty of tournament play, DeAndre may have a tough time catching Lisath. Averaging 20 PPG the last 6 regular season games would leave him at 1,193 heading into tournament play.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Malachi Loper has 821 points in his career thus far, counting Portsmouth Clay and PHS, and he is on pace to pass 1,000 at some point in his senior season in 2024-25.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans' JV team dropped to 4-10 after last night's loss to Chesapeake. More competitive effort from the JV, but still problems scoring consistently.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

The face on Aders face would have been worth price of admission 🎟️ 😂 .

Losing to Lisath has to be painful for him

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth finished the week with 3 wins as the Trojans bested the Portsmouth West Senators on Saturday night @PHS 56-42. The game was tied at halftime, but PHS built as much as a 16 point lead in the 2nd half. Donnovan Breech led the Trojans with 19 points, while Malachi Loper had 15 and DeAndre Berry added 14. Berry now has 1,087 points, while Loper moved up to 836. PHS is now 12-5 on the season, and with the win clinched a winning season for the 1st time since 2018 in Coach Lisath's first season as HC. It also marked the 81st winning season in PHS history.

The Senators have played a number of good teams close this season, and played very competitive vs. the Trojans. #11 Bishop had a very good game for PW.

The Portsmouth JV continues to struggle, as it dropped to 4-11 after the loss to West.

Portsmouth has a huge week coming up in OVC play, as the Ironton Fighting Tigers come to Trojan Arena on Tuesday, then the Trojans travel to South Point on Friday, then come back to the home court to take on the Fairland Dragons on Saturday. PHS is 7-3 in the OVC, 5-0 on the road. They can finish no worse than a tie for 1st if they were to sweep the remaining 4 games of the OVC schedule. Portsmouth will play at Fairland next Tuesday, then finish the regular season with a short road trip to Minford on Wednesday.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

DeAndre Berry continues to move up the ladder on the Portsmouth Trojans 1,000 point scorers list. Against Chesapeake he passed Damond Mannon's 1,057 point total with a 20 point game, and now has 1,073 points, good for 10th place all time. He scored 14 points vs. Portsmouth West and now has 1,087. He likely will pass vs. Ironton on Tuesday Dion McKinley, Wayne Evans, and Matthew Fraulini, all of whom have 1,096 points for their careers. Passing them will move DeAndre into 7th place all time, still a considerable distance from his coach Jeff Lisath who scored 1,256 points and who occupies 6th place.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Does Portsmouth stream their home games?

MyBodyDifferent
Freshman Team

Post by MyBodyDifferent »

I like #34 from Portsmouth I'm not sure of his name but the kid can play.

*MrFirstTake*
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

It was a wild night at Trojan Arena, as two ancient rivals battled for 3 OT's before Portsmouth prevailed over Ironton 92-85. IHS led by 11 at the half, but PHS rallied to within 4 at the end of the 3rd quarter. Ironton's Brayden Schreck nailed a baseline jumper to send the game into the 1st OT. Ironton led in first two OT's, but Portsmouth rallied each time to tie the score. The Trojans had to survive another Schreck jumper that missed its mark that would have won the game. In the 3rd OT, PHS took control from the opening tip and managed to pick up a much needed home win.

With the win, Portsmouth is now 13-5 on the season, 8-3 in the OVC, and have evened their OVC home record to 3-3. Ironton dropped to 7-4 in the conference. The sweep of Ironton this season by the Trojans widened the all time series lead in favor of PHS 95-76. The Fighting Tigers had won 10 in a row vs. PHS coming into this season. PHS is in 3rd alone in the latest OVC standings.

DeAndre Berry had a monster game with 38 points, and for the 1st time all season the Trojans put all 5 players in double figures. Isaiah Lewis was outstanding from behind the arc, knocking down 5 trifectas out of 6 attempts. Noah Livingston had 12 rebounds, while Malachi Loper added four 3's. Donnovan Breech fought off sickness to score double figures. It was Portsmouth's highest point total of the year, eclipsing the 87 points scored vs. Coal Grove earlier this season.

Berry now has 1,125 points for his career, and it's the 6th time he has scored at least 30 points, which ties a PHS record with Kyre Allison and Damond Mannon. Malachi Loper's career total is now up to 848. Berry is 131 points behind his coach, Jeff Lisath (1,256) for 6th place on the all time PHS scorers list.

Just a little footnote I discovered yesterday......while looking at some old PHS yearbooks yesterday, I found that the 1908 Trojans beat Ironton on May 5, 1908 by a score of 22-4. May basketball? Also found out that in the 1912 school year PHS didn't even field a basketball team.

Counting that 1 extra win, Portsmouth now has an all time record of 1,529--853.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bargeman
Waterboy

Post by Bargeman »

Should win when you shoot 35 free throws, pitiful.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

DeAndre Berry continues to make Trojan history with each game. Now with 1,125 point for his career, Berry is also averaging 24.6 PPG which would be the 4th highest PPG total all time. Damond Mannon (26.5, 1992), Tory Horne (25.7, 2010), and Larry Hisle (25.5, 1965) are ahead of Berry. Just behind him are Craig Tubbs (24.5, 1979), and Bo Clemens (24.3, 1974). He is tied with Damond Mannon (6) and Kyre Allison (6) for the most games scoring at least 30 points. Larry Hisle and DeAndre are the only 1,000 point scorers who have scored 40 or more points in a single game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”