Transfers? who's moved from school to school? 2023-24 Hoops Season is around the corner!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Transfers? who's moved from school to school? 2023-24 Hoops Season is around the corner!

Post by pfloyd »

3 weeks into the 2023 Football season, I can almost hear basketball shoes squeaking , bb bouncing ... almost ... as the school year has started, that means anyone who was rumored to transfer over the summer "has' or "has not" ... the bodies are in place where they are going to be for hoops season... new coaches out there, players moved following coaches? What does the hoops landscape look Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line? what say you?

Coach Persin at SW, did the big boy stay? Coach Stiverson stepped down at LE, Coach Dropsey's first season - has some good pieces to build on with the youngster that got lots of playing time last season when the offense for LE went on the DL all season ... any size show up over the summer for the Braves? PV with a new head coach a couple of athletic juniors to build on - anything else? Waverly new coach - struggled last year big, changes for this season? The OVC will be a bear AGAIN ... some new faces in the top 15-20 this season - Circleville to make some waves ...just some discussion starters ...

... looking at the Preseason Rankings to come out in early October ...

peake71
All Conference

Re: Transfers? who's moved from school to school? 2023-24 Hoops Season is around the corner!

Post by peake71 »

I look for the Peake to surprise some people. Some of the underclassmen got alot of playing time last year. With one of the better freshman coming in will make a big difference. No transfers that I know about or saw during the summer.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Transfers? who's moved from school to school? 2023-24 Hoops Season is around the corner!

Post by trojandave »

Malachi Loper transferred to Portsmouth HS after Portsmouth Clay dropped soccer. He is currently playing soccer for PHS, and also will be playing basketball. He is a junior, around 5-10, and here are his accomplishments from his sophomore season at Clay:

Averaged 17.9 PPG (11 PPG as a FR)
Team Offensive POY
Team MVP
SOC 1st team
SE District 3rd team
SE District Sports Writers Honorable Mention

There are at least a couple other kids who do play basketball that have enrolled at PHS, but I don't have enough information on them yet to post anything further that's factual.

Portsmouth's projected roster this past June is looking quite different in September.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:07 am Malachi Loper transferred to Portsmouth HS after Portsmouth Clay dropped soccer. He is currently playing soccer for PHS, and also will be playing basketball. He is a junior, around 5-10, and here are his accomplishments from his sophomore season at Clay:

Averaged 17.9 PPG (11 PPG as a FR)
Team Offensive POY
Team MVP
SOC 1st team
SE District 3rd team
SE District Sports Writers Honorable Mention

There are at least a couple other kids who do play basketball that have enrolled at PHS, but I don't have enough information on them yet to post anything further that's factual.

Portsmouth's projected roster this past June is looking quite different in September.
Loper is a player, saw him when Clay played at the North Adams Dave Young Classic. I'm chomping at the bit to see Coach Lisath's Trojans this season trojandave! That entire OVC - Portsmouth, Chesapeake, South Point, Fairland, Ironton and the rest make any OVC game a "dandy" in the regular season ... hope all is going well with you td!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Freshmen Twins (Gunnar and Sawyer Myers) transferred from Huntington to Waverly and both are playing varsity football right now. I'd say they will both dress varsity for the basketball Tigers.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Roberts is still at Webster, Sommer is too.
Haven’t heard much if anything.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Another kid that I found out some info on him should fit well into Coach Lisath's varsity rotation.......LeMarcus Parker is a junior, about 6-0, and has a nice all around game, especially his handles. He transferred from New Boston. Coach Lisath's run and press style will suit Marcus' strengths.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: I completed 8 weeks of radiation in June, and my PSA level has dropped big time.......the treatments are working and from what I understand my PSA should eventually drop to where it is virtually undetectable (less than 1.0). I'm also getting a hormone shot every 6 months which reduces the amount of testosterone which cancer cells thrive on. What was really encouraging was that my PMSA Pet Scan which was done prior to my radiation treatments came back totally clean.....no cancer showed up on the imaging. The oncologist felt that I should still go through radiation and hormone therapy.

Right now I, like you, am a cancer survivor and praise to God for what looks like a good prognosis. One day at a time, one month at a time, and 1 year at a time. Each day is much more precious when you have been diagnosed with cancer.

I put this information on this public forum because my experience could save someone else's life. Men 45 and older......get your PSA checked!!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

trojandave wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:33 am Another kid that I found out some info on him should fit well into Coach Lisath's varsity rotation.......LeMarcus Parker is a junior, about 6-0, and has a nice all around game, especially his handles. He transferred from New Boston. Coach Lisath's run and press style will suit Marcus' strengths.
Transferred from Minford to Northwest, played freshman year at Northwest. I believe he left Northwest during the season if not mistaken.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

trojandave wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:39 am pfloyd: I completed 8 weeks of radiation in June, and my PSA level has dropped big time.......the treatments are working and from what I understand my PSA should eventually drop to where it is virtually undetectable (less than 1.0). I'm also getting a hormone shot every 6 months which reduces the amount of testosterone which cancer cells thrive on. What was really encouraging was that my PMSA Pet Scan which was done prior to my radiation treatments came back totally clean.....no cancer showed up on the imaging. The oncologist felt that I should still go through radiation and hormone therapy.

Right now I, like you, am a cancer survivor and praise to God for what looks like a good prognosis. One day at a time, one month at a time, and 1 year at a time. Each day is much more precious when you have been diagnosed with cancer.

I put this information on this public forum because my experience could save someone else's life. Men 45 and older......get your PSA checked!!
That's good to hear trogandave.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

BigBlueNation: Thanks for the info on Marcus. I thought he transferred from New Boston but according to you that was not the case.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

SP lost a kid to Huntington prep

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

trojandave wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:29 am BigBlueNation: Thanks for the info on Marcus. I thought he transferred from New Boston but according to you that was not the case.
trojandave he probably was at New Boston. I just knew he was at Minford and Northwest also.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:39 am pfloyd: I completed 8 weeks of radiation in June, and my PSA level has dropped big time.......the treatments are working and from what I understand my PSA should eventually drop to where it is virtually undetectable (less than 1.0). I'm also getting a hormone shot every 6 months which reduces the amount of testosterone which cancer cells thrive on. What was really encouraging was that my PMSA Pet Scan which was done prior to my radiation treatments came back totally clean.....no cancer showed up on the imaging. The oncologist felt that I should still go through radiation and hormone therapy.

Great news trojandave!!! amen ... look forward to running into you and the Portsmouth faithful throughout the season this year!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

goUK wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:16 pm SP lost a kid to Huntington prep
... who went to Huntington Prep from South Point?

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Never too early to start talking basketball!
Attachments
IMG_6605.jpeg

Go Blue
84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:31 pm
goUK wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:16 pm SP lost a kid to Huntington prep
... who went to Huntington Prep from South Point?
I talked to a SP guy and he thought it was the tall kid #50 ? , not sure of the name . I dont think he played a ton of minutes but hes a tall one thats for sure .

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Marquez Locklear is another sophomore for Portsmouth who will be a very good addition to the program. He currently is the backup QB for the Trojans, and when he was playing for the PJHS 8th grade basketball team I felt he was the best player on that team. He transferred to Columbus for his freshman year but is back now. Based on what I saw of him at the Gallia Academy football game, where was in at QB for the last few minutes, he looked to be about 6-0.

The basketball numbers for Portsmouth are much better than they were at the start of summer, with Malachi Loper, LeMarcus Parker, and Marquez Locklear all coming in for the 2023-24 school year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”