Minford 58 Jackson 53 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Minford 58 Jackson 53 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Minford 58
Jackson 53 a final

... didn't know what to expect when I watched the game last night - at least from the Minford side of the court ... coming off of a 94-66 thrashing of Portsmouth Monday night ... the Falcons traveled up Rt 139 to the Apple City to take on a "defensive minded" Ironmen TEAM out of the FAC ... my first eyes on the Minford squad of Coach Shoemaker - I had watched Minford on livestream vs Southeastern so I had an idea of what I was going to see from the Falcons - but SE is not JHS ... my first impressions - Minford is much longer than I thought -Joe Hanna 6-6, Trenton Zimmerman 6-4, Devon Parker 6-3 with Luke Oakes off the bench 6-5 ... and all of these guys have long wing spans ! ... obviously MHS can score the ball ... 96 points !!! ... Minford is disciplined in their offensive flow ... scorers across the board - 3 players hit 3's last night - Zimmerman, Adam Crank, the super freshman Myles Montgomery ... Minford had 14 turnovers ( 4 in each of the first 3 qtrs + 2 in the 4th) - some were unforced errors most were due to the Jackson D ... for the Ironmen of Coach Morrow - defense is a given, scoring is always the variable ... last night the defenses of both teams showed for the first 3 quarters as we had quarter breaks of:

Minford ..... 14 ... 18 ... 28 ...
Jackson ..... 9 .... 18 ... 23 ...

Minford came out of the blocks going 4/5 from downtown with treys coming from Adam Crank (2) , Trenton Zimmerman 1, and Myes Montgomery 1 ... JHS was in the hole from the outset of this one as JHS was forced to take a timeout at 4:37 of the first period trailing 2-8 ... one thing the Ironmen did NOT want was to chase the Falcons all night - getting behind early was not the plan - after the timeout JHS started to slowly reel in the Falcons - forcing 4 turnovers, Jackson was at least able to slow down the Falcons offense while chipping away at the scoreboard deficit ... Jackson got 2 pointers from Boston Campbell, Haden Blankenship, Tristan Prater and a much needed 3 ball to close out the 1st from Evan Jarvis ... for Minford to go with the 3's from Zimmerman/Crank/Montgomery ... 6-6 Joe Hanna got on the napkin stat sheet with a transition deuce ... Minford 14 Jackson 9 after one ... anytime you play a Coach Morrow team you EXPECT 1) defense 2) defense and 3) more defense ... I was smiling as I watched Jackson's match-up zone, switching out front, communication, the rotation of players to cut off penetration - outstanding ... in quarter 2 the Ironmen kept the Falcons off the 3 point train - forcing the shots a little further out on the floor or forcing the perimeter shooters to be hurried ... Minford went 0/5 in the 2nd quarter from downtown ... only 4 points in the quarter - 2 from Zimmerman on the blocks and a midrange jumper from Montgomery ... the Minford D was just as formidable as the Falcons held JHS to 3 fgs in the period - 5 points from Tristan Prater including the game tying triple with 1:30 on the clock 18-18 ... the only other points in the period from the Jackson side 2/2 from the FT line by Campbell and a bucket from Jarvis ... Minford 18 Jackson 18 at the half ... when you have an Elite 8 team, you usually have an elite pg as well - Minford HAS THAT and more ... to be considered "elite" a player has the ability entering games to draw the opposing teams attention defensively - check Montgomery has that quality and did that as the defense is designed to take away "something" from your arsenal ... Montgomery through 2 qtrs - 5 points ... for a player to be considered "elite" he stays focused/ takes what the defense gives him/gets others involved/ BUT makes the opposition pay when they let down their guard - check , Montgomery in the 3rd was held to 2 fgs BUT he opened the Minford scoring with deep triple ... Jackson followed that up with holding MHS scoreless until after the 2:58 mark of the 3rd ... Minford can play defense as well, holding Jackson to 2 fgs in the 3rd - Jacob Winters / Campbell a fg a piece ...Minford started the 3rd going with the 3/4 court trap which forced 6 JHS turnovers / Jackson forced MHS to cough it up 4 times on their watch as well ... enter the OTHER weapons for MHS Zimmerman a midrange jumper after 2:58 in the 3rd, a fg from 6-3 Devin Parker down low and another 3 pointer from Montgomery ... Minford in the final 2 minutes opened up the largest lead of the night since the 1st quarter ... Minford 28 Jackson 23 after 3 ... elite teams with an elite player smell blood in the water - Minford put up 30 points in the final period ... 18 points from Montgomery (24 for the half) ... 10/11 from the FT line ... 6 points from Zimmerman, 4 points from Ethan Connally off the bench ... game , set annnnnnd WAIT - you're playing a Jackson TEAM that follows the lead of it's coach - HE has never known how to spell the word "quit" ... the Ironmen absorbed the blows ... 7:36 down 23-32 ... at 5:17 down 28-38 ... behind the SCORING of Boston Campbell 11 points the quarter, 7 points from Jacob Winters, 3 triples from Evan Jarvis the Ironmen hung close, 2:28 41-46 Minford ... 1:14 43-50 ... :15.1 on the clock down 50-56 ... a Jackson 3 pointer with less than 10 seconds on the clock got the Ironmen to 53-56 ...a one possession game ... elite players come through under pressure, during crunch time ... Myles Montgomery IS that elite player ... hitting back to back FTs to close out the game ... Minford 58 Jackson 53 a final

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Jackson

Scoring ... Boston Campbell 17, Evan Jarvis 14, Tristan Prater 10, Jacob Winters 9, Haden Blankenship 3
3 Pointers ... 6/13 ... Evan Jarvis 4, Boston Campbell 1, Tristan Prater 1
FTs ... 7/8
TOs ... 14/ 10 in the 2nd half when Minford applied 3/4 court pressure
PnP ... 12 fgs/ 24 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/ 4 points in transition
Pbk ... 1 fg/ 2 points off of offensive boards

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Minford

Scoring ... Myles Montgomery 29, Trenton Zimmerman 13, Adam Crank 6, Devin Parker 4, Ethan Connally 4, Joe Hanna 2
3 Pointers ... 6/16 ... Myles Montgomery 3, Adam Crank 2, Trenton Zimmerman 1
FTs ... 14/20 ... 14/18 in the 4th period ... MM 10/11 down the stretch in the 4th
TOs ... 14 only 2 in the 4th period
PnP ... 11 fgs/ 22 points in the paint
PnT ... 4 fgs / 8 points in transition
Pbk ... 0

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Minford 58 Jackson 53 a final

Post by Ironman92 »

That was the game. Good rundown and glad I actually had time to sit down and talk some basketball with you.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:58 am That was the game. Good rundown and glad I actually had time to sit down and talk some basketball with you.
I92 - always good to see and chat with you my friend ! although - if Justin Davis keeps coming up into the Cheap Seats wearing a dress shirt & tie WE are going to have to up our game !!! LOL

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:35 am
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:58 am That was the game. Good rundown and glad I actually had time to sit down and talk some basketball with you.
I92 - always good to see and chat with you my friend ! although - if Justin Davis keeps coming up into the Cheap Seats wearing a dress shirt & tie WE are going to have to up our game !!! LOL
After he walked up looking like that, I couldn't follow it. :lol: :lol:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:06 am
After he walked up looking like that, I couldn't follow it. :lol: :lol:
:lol: , I'm an Ohio River guy by heart ! raised in New Boston ... ties are definitely optional ! although last week when I was at Jackson, Mr. Howard the Superintendent of Jackson City schools DID have on a suit & tie when he stopped in the Cheap Seats !!! hmmmmmmmm I'm thinking these guys are telling me something about my attire !!! LOL

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I was doing well to have on jeans….I don’t care if they look homeless before the game, as long as they call a good game

Return to “Boys Basketball”