Any Surprises so far? Teams or Players who have stood out ?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Any Surprises so far? Teams or Players who have stood out ?

Post by pfloyd »

EVEN IN the Covid Season that we are IN ... we've seen most of the teams play games ( minus Logan and Chillicothe) in the first half of the season - ANY SURPRISES ???? surprise TEAMS - those that have "outperformed" preseason expectations , those that have "underperformed" to this point in the season ... any players that are catching your eye as the headliners this season??? ... or maybe everything - TEAMS/PLAYERS - are going according to plan ...

... personally (even if is on the livestream broadcasts) I have seen lots of young talent that will keep this forum hopping in the next few years ... some teams that have matured into THE TEAMS in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... I have my "lists" , how about yours???

... What say you ??? ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Any Surprises so far? Teams or Players who have stood out so far ?

Post by Ironman92 »

Eastern Brown and Adena are more dominant than I thought they would be.

Portsmouth West and River Valley have been surprisingly successful early on.

Coal Grove so far has surprised me a bit.

I thought Belpre and Nelsonville were supposed to be better.
Last edited by Ironman92 on Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RothGGProducer
Riding the Bench

Post by RothGGProducer »

Fairland has been disappointing in my opinion. Return 5 starters from a team that went 24-2 and was still alive in elite 8. Very safe to say they over-performed their talent level last season and are playing a little below it this year. They need more from somebody outside of Porter, Thomas and Polcyn. One or two other kids need to step up offensively. Individually, I think Kyler D'Augistino and Cyan Ervin have posted solid scoring numbers as Sophomores, two decent prospects in the TVC-Ohio that college coaches will like. Adena kids are winners, straight up. Football, basketball, doesn't matter. Senior class is special. Technically not SEO but Fort Frye is outperforming their talent level, Morgan's Carver Myers is also putting up insane stats and winning in the MVL. (Note: MVL-Small division is pretty strong, big school division is weak) Haven't been able to see him this year but Trent Hundley for Eastern Brown was taking names in the Fall. Seems like their team is dominating but I think in tight games he might surprise some people with his improvement from last season. Always looking for freshman that are standing out so if anybody has some please reply to me. So far the Unioto big was very impressive and Tri-Valley has a solid 6'4 PF freshman as well.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

No surprise that Valley is having a good showing after Norm took his Talents to Lucasville and the young Windians.

Biggest surprise in the SOC2 definitely goes to the West Portsmouth Winators. Unpredictable from night to night but I’d never have picked them to WAX Valley like that

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Biggest surprise for me is in the SVC. Everyone knew what Little Bennett and Chandler could do and I think all three of those have looked like player of the year candidates so far but;

Preston Sykes has been a big surprise for me individually. I haven’t done the math but he’s averaging more or right at the same as his counterpart Logan Bennett. Rough guess is Sykes is averaging 15-17 ppg and has also had a 21 point game where he was perfect from the field and FT line. He’s been the biggest individual surprise for me. To say he’s been solid is an understatement.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Also from the SVC the Robinson kid from ZT has really impressed me as a sophomore. Their team has been better than I antics d he’s a big reason. Tayvion Galloway the freshman from Unioto. Both have been big surprises for me. I knew Galloway would be getting solid minutes but for him to be as impactful as he’s been on both ends of the floor has been a big surprise.

BigDog357
Waterboy

Post by BigDog357 »

Northwest’s Freshman Connor Lintz has averaged 16 PPG over their first four games and freshman Jay Jenkins had 14 points in his first varsity start of the season. Both have been performing very good with Lintz looked to as the main scorer of the team and Jenkins has looked like the best defender on the court in any of their 4 games.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... some surprises from where I sit here on the couch include:

* Jackson ... I knew the talent was there but the fact that there was no "delay" in being able to get rolling either offensively or defensively minus Mr. Wallis who seemed to be the catalyst at both ends for the Ironmen ... JHS has been able to share the roles with talent from 1-8 or 9 players ... thought it would take longer to "find themselves" as a TEAM ...

* Unioto ... the loss to Miami Trace ... the U has found it's groove now going into the big game with Adena Saturday ... ALL of the pieces are there - with the addition of Galloway inside as the enforcer defensively with his shot blocking length/ability ... in the past the Shermans have historically had size down low with perimeter scorers outside - they are getting closer and closer to that MO again ... young size down low - but basketball talent none the less in Galloway/Park ... scoring on the perimeter with Greenwalt/Little/Park/Debord ... the ability to breakdown a defense with Little getting to the rim ... the last game vs Circleville showed all of the weapons including the D we have all come to expect from a Coach Hoops TEAM ...

* Chesapeake ... probably THE team that has improved the most imo from game 1 to now ... losing 2 starts to the transfer portal before the season started had the likelihood of having the Peake dropping hard through the rankings BUT good coaching/fundamentals of the game, a solid group of players who believe in TEAM is what it left ... I watched the Peake vs South Gallia (CHS 76-51 ) ... great ball movement, spacing outstanding offensively, scoring from all 7 players in the main rotation ... they all handle the ball which takes the pressure off the table as they will score in transition breaking down the pressure , great interior passing, fundamentals have them holding their own on the boards by being in position ... perimeter scoring from 3 players consistently ... outstanding passing, few turnovers, in your face defensive speed, the big man in the paint does everything well - rebounds, passes the ball, scores on the blocks ... just an over all well coached TEAM - that can beat anyone ... start the season NOW - the losses to Ironton/Coal Grove don't happen ... will be interesting to see how they fair vs Fairland on the 5th ...

* Lucasville Valley ... Coach DOES count ... fundamentals DO count ... Valley was going to GET GOOD with Norm courtside - the surprise is the level of the talent in place for the Indians - all youngin's with basketball talent, good size for Stuart/Perkins with excellent role players that will continue to improve in the fundamental side of the game - they will be a Chesapeake type of TEAM with size imo before the end of the season ...

... Fairfield Union, Sheridan NOT being the teams I thought they would be ... but with the coaching Eversole at FU/Fisher at Sheridan they will look different from what is NOW on the court - all for the better ...

... Logan and Chillicothe will be complete surprises one way or the other as NONE OF US HAS SEEN THEM PLAY as they haven't tipped off the NOW 2021 season !

more to come ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Fort Frye and Morgan are really good

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:31 pm ... some surprises from where I sit here on the couch include:

* Jackson ... I knew the talent was there but the fact that there was no "delay" in being able to get rolling either offensively or defensively minus Mr. Wallis who seemed to be the catalyst at both ends for the Ironmen ... JHS has been able to share the roles with talent from 1-8 or 9 players ... thought it would take longer to "find themselves" as a TEAM ...

* Unioto ... the loss to Miami Trace ... the U has found it's groove now going into the big game with Adena Saturday ... ALL of the pieces are there - with the addition of Galloway inside as the enforcer defensively with his shot blocking length/ability ... in the past the Shermans have historically had size down low with perimeter scorers outside - they are getting closer and closer to that MO again ... young size down low - but basketball talent none the less in Galloway/Clark ... scoring on the perimeter with Greenwalt/Little/Clark/Debord ... the ability to breakdown a defense with Little getting to the rim ... the last game vs Circleville showed all of the weapons including the D we have all come to expect from a Coach Hoops TEAM ...

* Chesapeake ... probably THE team that has improved the most imo from game 1 to now ... losing 2 starts to the transfer portal before the season started had the likelihood of having the Peake dropping hard through the rankings BUT good coaching/fundamentals of the game, a solid group of players who believe in TEAM is what it left ... I watched the Peake vs South Gallia (CHS 76-51 ) ... great ball movement, spacing outstanding offensively, scoring from all 7 players in the main rotation ... they all handle the ball which takes the pressure off the table as they will score in transition breaking down the pressure , great interior passing, fundamentals have them holding their own on the boards by being in position ... perimeter scoring from 3 players consistently ... outstanding passing, few turnovers, in your face defensive speed, the big man in the paint does everything well - rebounds, passes the ball, scores on the blocks ... just an over all well coached TEAM - that can beat anyone ... start the season NOW - the losses to Ironton/Coal Grove don't happen ... will be interesting to see how they fair vs Fairland on the 5th ...

* Lucasville Valley ... Coach DOES count ... fundamentals DO count ... Valley was going to GET GOOD with Norm courtside - the surprise is the level of the talent in place for the Indians - all youngin's with basketball talent, good size for Stewart/Perkins with excellent role players that will continue to improve in the fundamental side of the game - they will be a Chesapeake type of TEAM with size imo before the end of the season ...

... Fairfield Union, Sheridan NOT being the teams I thought they would be ... but with the coaching Eversole at FU/Fisher at Sheridan they will look different from what is NOW on the court - all for the better ...

... Logan and Chillicothe will be complete surprises one way or the other as NONE OF US HAS SEEN THEM PLAY as they haven't tipped off the NOW 2021 season !

more to come ...
I think you mean Park* not Clark Pfloyd. None the less thank you. Big game this Saturday for the U against Adena. Gonna be a tall task

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:51 pm
pfloyd wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:31 pm ... some surprises from where I sit here on the couch include:

* Unioto ... the loss to Miami Trace ... the U has found it's groove now going into the big game with Adena Saturday ... ALL of the pieces are there - with the addition of Galloway inside as the enforcer defensively with his shot blocking length/ability ... in the past the Shermans have historically had size down low with perimeter scorers outside - they are getting closer and closer to that MO again ... young size down low - but basketball talent none the less in Galloway/Park ... scoring on the perimeter with Greenwalt/Little/Park/Debord ... the ability to breakdown a defense with Little getting to the rim ... the last game vs Circleville showed all of the weapons including the D we have all come to expect from a Coach Hoops TEAM ...

* Lucasville Valley ... Coach DOES count ... fundamentals DO count ... Valley was going to GET GOOD with Norm courtside - the surprise is the level of the talent in place for the Indians - all youngin's with basketball talent, good size for Stuart/Perkins with excellent role players that will continue to improve in the fundamental side of the game - they will be a Chesapeake type of TEAM with size imo before the end of the season ...

more to come ...
I think you mean Park* not Clark Pfloyd. None the less thank you. Big game this Saturday for the U against Adena. Gonna be a tall task
I did mean Park ! sorry ... I'll fix it ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:08 pm

* Lucasville Valley ... Coach DOES count ... fundamentals DO count ... Valley was going to GET GOOD with Norm courtside - the surprise is the level of the talent in place for the Indians - all youngin's with basketball talent, good size for Stewart/Perkins with excellent role players that will continue to improve in the fundamental side of the game - they will be a Chesapeake type of TEAM with size imo before the end of the season ...

more to come ...
No worries

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:17 pm
pfloyd wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:08 pm

No worries
... I hate getting the kids names wrong! they deserve better ... Evan Park 6-6 jr. post player who can step out and be a perimeter threat as well ... I apologize to Evan and the U readers out there ...

JC2124
Varsity

Re: Any Surprises so far? Teams or Players who have stood out ?

Post by JC2124 »

I would have to say the two freshman for Fed Hock. They are gamers. Andrew Airhart and Tariq Cotrill. They had 30 combined last night at Belpre. They are good ones for the Lancers

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

JC2124 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:45 pm I would have to say the two freshman for Fed Hock. They are gamers. Andrew Airhart and Tariq Cotrill. They had 30 combined last night at Belpre. They are good ones for the Lancers
... looking forward to seeing them both ! livestreamed and/or in person ...

BigLeagueChew
Waterboy

Post by BigLeagueChew »

One kid I have been impressed with so far is talented Freshman Jace Copley at Valley, over the last 3 games Copley has averaged 18 ppg as well as having double figure scoring outings in 6 of the Indians last 8 games. I don't know the percentages but with the balance Valley has on offense, it has to be a very high clip. Copley has also faced some solid defense and is often chased/shadowed. For a freshman to be doing what he has done thus far, I am impressed, and on top of that this is a Valley team that has 5 to 6 potential scoring threats on any given night.

Return to “Boys Basketball”