SVC 2020/2021 🏀🏀🏀

mlittle
SEOP

SVC 2020/2021 🏀🏀🏀

Post by mlittle »

Let’s get all the svc posters opinions on how they think the league will play out this year. First game is only about 3/4 weeks away.

I think the league brings back some talent for sure. 3 of your 1st team all league guys in Chandler, Little and Bennett return and quite a few other all league guys. I hate picking league winners this early so I’ll just say I think with what they all have returning, Piketon, Adena and Unioto will all have a legitimate shot at the title. That’s not to say another team couldn’t but my opinion is it will be one of those 3 teams. Unioto probably returns less than the other 2 as we said goodbye to a solid senior class. Piketon loses their big man Tyree Harris but return 4 starters I believe. And I’m not 💯 sure but I believe Adena brings everyone back. Should be another fun year in the league and I just hope we can get it in without issue.

transplant
SE

Re: SVC 2020/2021 🏀🏀🏀

Post by transplant »

I agree you mlittle, i think it will be down between Piketon, Adena, and Unioto as well. Pretty decent drop off after those 3 isnt there?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

transplant wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:14 am I agree you mlittle, i think it will be down between Piketon, Adena, and Unioto as well. Pretty decent drop off after those 3 isnt there?
I do think there is a decent drop off after that but should still be a pretty competitive league.

SE would be my best guess for 4th. They bring back a good junior class. They seem to run a very elementary offense tho and I’m not a big fan. But they have a few kids that can score the ball at all 3 levels so they’re gonna give teams some fits. If they are gonna make that leap this will be the year. This will be that classes 3rd year playing varsity.

I think ZT will struggle. They have a pretty good sophomore class but they got very little if no varsity reps last year. I just don’t think they are ready. But they have some talented young kids.

Pv will have Grubb who was a second teamer last year. He can score it but I’m not sure he’ll be enough

Westfall lost quite a bit and I’ll be honest I’m not sure what they have. I don’t think they will be very good tho.

Same with Huntington. They have some athletes. Not sure about basketball players.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

PV is interesting because they wanted to play fast last year, but didn’t have the right mix to play up tempo. This year’s group is young, but super long and athletic and has a proven scorer in Grubb

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Pretty good breakdown. Maybe PV will be able to pull off an upset or two and make the league interesting. I think Huntington will be improved from last year, but like you said, not sure how many "basketball players" they have.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

Adena 14-0
Unioto 10-4 (Adena x2, Piketon, PV)
PV 9-5 (Adena x2, Unioto, ZT, SE)
Piketon 9-5 (Adena x2, Unioto, PV x2)
ZT 7-7 (Adena x2, Piketon x2, Unioto x2, PV)
SE 4-10 (Adena x2, Unioto x2, PV, Piketon x2, ZT x2, Westfall)
Westfall 3-11 (Adena x2, Unioto x2, PV x2, Piketon x2, ZT x2, SE)
Huntington 0-14

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

if you are right, i will be very impressed. Quite a breakdown. Long season for the Huntsmen...

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Seopnation wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:55 pm Adena 14-0
Huntington 0-14
I’d be surprised if Adena goes unbeaten. Like really surprised. Wouldn’t be surprised if they won the league but I think those top 3 are really tight. Could even see a split with those three all beating each other. just my opinion

I’ll buy you a steak dinner anywhere in the state if PV beats Piketon twice.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

mlittle wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:03 pm
Huntington 0-14
I’d be surprised if Adena goes unbeaten. Like really surprised. Wouldn’t be surprised if they won the league but I think those top 3 are really tight. Could even see a split with those three all beating each other. just my opinion

I’ll update and say Unioto x2 and PV once. Do I still get a steak?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Seopnation wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:24 pm
Huntington 0-14

I’ll update and say Unioto x2 and PV once. Do I still get a steak?
I might buy you one if we beat them twice regardless of what else happens. Lol

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

mlittle wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:27 am
transplant wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:14 am I agree you mlittle, i think it will be down between Piketon, Adena, and Unioto as well. Pretty decent drop off after those 3 isnt there?
I do think there is a decent drop off after that but should still be a pretty competitive league.

SE would be my best guess for 4th. They bring back a good junior class. They seem to run a very elementary offense tho and I’m not a big fan. But they have a few kids that can score the ball at all 3 levels so they’re gonna give teams some fits. If they are gonna make that leap this will be the year. This will be that classes 3rd year playing varsity.

I think ZT will struggle. They have a pretty good sophomore class but they got very little if no varsity reps last year. I just don’t think they are ready. But they have some talented young kids.

Pv will have Grubb who was a second teamer last year. He can score it but I’m not sure he’ll be enough

Westfall lost quite a bit and I’ll be honest I’m not sure what they have. I don’t think they will be very good tho.

Same with Huntington. They have some athletes. Not sure about basketball players.
That elementary SE offense dominated the SVC for 30+ years! It is basic, but effective. If you look at the really good programs, not teams, they do the simple things VERY well. During their hayday, the same offense was ran from 3rd grade through high school.
Last edited by se-alum on Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Huntington 0-14

Lack of depth could really hinder Adena this year.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

se-alum wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:12 pm

That elementary SE offense dominated the SVC for 30+ years! It is basic, but effective. If you look at the really good programs, not teams, they do the simple things VERY well. During their hayday, the same offense was ran from 3rd grade through high school.
I didn’t say it couldn’t be effective but the game is changing. I just said I wasn’t a fan.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

mlittle wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:44 pm

I didn’t say it couldn’t be effective but the game is changing. I just said I wasn’t a fan.
I wasn't meaning to insinuate that you did.

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

curious on "the game is changing". What is changing in your opinion?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

football life wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:37 pm

curious on "the game is changing". What is changing in your opinion?
Attachments
E8A585EA-DE81-4207-BF17-7AD149D46B0A.gif

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

It may have been elementary then, but they also routinely had 6’5-6’6 guys when the rest of the league was tiny. And the coaching was terrible with zero scouting or preparation.

Now, the coaches are more prepared and scout better, so an elementary offense will only work if you are extremely fundamentally sound.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Zane Trace only has 17 total boys playing.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

petesweaty wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:51 pm Zane Trace only has 17 total boys playing.
Wow

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

mlittle wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:01 pm
petesweaty wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:51 pm Zane Trace only has 17 total boys playing.
Wow
You’d think with the success they had there would be more boys out than that!

Return to “Boys Basketball”