Meigs 69, Athens 67 - FINAL

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Meigs 69, Athens 67 - FINAL

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pretty good game down in Rocking Springs. The Marauders come out on top to remain in the hunt for the TVC-Ohio.

Top 4 after 1/31 games

Alexander (12-5),(7-1)
Athens (12-5),(7-2)
Vinton County (11-5),(5-2)
Meigs (9-8),(6-3)

Meigs 69, Athens 67

Athens led 18-12 after the 1st
Athens led 36-33 after the 2nd
Meigs led 49-48 after the 3rd
Meigs wins 69-67 when Coulter Cleland knocks down two free throws with 4.2 seconds left. (not a good call on the foul, a slight bump by Brayden Whiting as Cleland wasn't even taking a shot. Would have rather watched the kids settle it on the court.)

Meigs

Burnem - 1
Cleland - 22
Baer - 18
Hoover - 8
Musser - 6
Cox - 10
Stewart - 5

Athens

Markins - 22
Trainer - 15
Wallace - 3
Whiting - 14
Matters - 10
Sayer - 3

* Blaming the refs is a bad way to go though. What cost Athens the win - and probably the title - was some acts that led to the Bulldogs playing short handed. Just three starters for Athens were available for a tough game at Meigs. One suspended and the other taking a college visit during the most important part of the season. So long as you are not truly serious about winning - you will never be a successful program. JMO

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Meigs 69, Athens 67 - FINAL

Post by Raider6309 »

Cleland killed us tonight. He couldn’t miss. I thought we lost the game on those lazy passes that turned into easy buckets. Fun game to watch. The last foul was pretty awful tho
Last edited by Raider6309 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

pretty tight at the top

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:54 pm Pretty good game down in Rocking Springs. The Marauders come out on top to remain in the hunt for the TVC-Ohio.

Top 4 after 1/31 games

Alexander (12-5),(7-1)
Athens (12-5),(7-2)
Meigs (9-8),(6-3)

Meigs 69, Athens 67

Meigs wins 69-67 when Coulter Cleland knocks down two free throws with 4.2 seconds left. (not a good call on the foul, a slight bump by Brayden Whiting as Cleland wasn't even taking a shot. Would have rather watched the kids settle it on the court.)

Meigs

Burnem - 1
Cleland - 22
Baer - 18
Hoover - 8
Musser - 6
Cox - 10
Stewart - 5

Athens

Markins - 22
Trainer - 15
Wallace - 3
Whiting - 14
Matters - 10
Sayer - 3

* Blaming the refs is a bad way to go though. What cost Athens the win - and probably the title - was some acts that led to the Bulldogs playing short handed. Just three starters for Athens were available for a tough game at Meigs. One suspended and the other taking a college visit during the most important part of the season. So long as you are not truly serious about winning - you will never be a successful program. JMO
I don't have a problem with our PG taking a college visit. He was interviewing for a scholar program at a Big 10 school and has a chance to get a good chunk of scholarship money. He had already rescheduled once (so he was here for the Warren game). I'm as loyal as can be, but can't fault the kid for trying to get his education paid for academically. Not too many kids can do that. The problem lies with the continued idiocy of one team member and the non stop drama that surrounds him. It is totally unfair to the rest of the team to put them through this crap. These guys played their ass off tonight. School district, I know you're not on here, but please move on from the drama and whatever happens, happens. Guarantee the guys left will fight their asses off and play for each other. Stay strong Bulldogs

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

6-4-3=2o wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:16 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:54 pm Pretty good game down in Rocking Springs. The Marauders come out on top to remain in the hunt for the TVC-Ohio.

Top 4 after 1/31 games

Alexander (12-5),(7-1)
Athens (12-5),(7-2)
Meigs (9-8),(6-3)

Meigs 69, Athens 67

Meigs

Burnem - 1
Cleland - 22
Baer - 18
Hoover - 8
Musser - 6
Cox - 10
Stewart - 5

Athens

Markins - 22
Trainer - 15
Wallace - 3
Whiting - 14
Matters - 10
Sayer - 3

I don't have a problem with our PG taking a college visit. He was interviewing for a scholar program at a Big 10 school and has a chance to get a good chunk of scholarship money. He had already rescheduled once (so he was here for the Warren game). I'm as loyal as can be, but can't fault the kid for trying to get his education paid for academically. Not too many kids can do that. The problem lies with the continued idiocy of one team member and the non stop drama that surrounds him. It is totally unfair to the rest of the team to put them through this crap. These guys played their ass off tonight. School district, I know you're not on here, but please move on from the drama and whatever happens, happens. Guarantee the guys left will fight their asses off and play for each other. Stay strong Bulldogs
Good post. Good luck to the young man going for very big things at the next level of life. Sometimes the schedules don’t align for everything.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I get it, I understand, the one player had more important matters to attend to.

But its ALWAYS something more important every year. Getting ready for baseball is more important. Lifting for a football scholarship is more important, going to watch a bowl game is more important, going down south to visit family over break is more important, etc ... etc ...

Athens basketball takes a back seat to everything. Its unfortunate.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:33 pm I get it, I understand, the one player had more important matters to attend to.

But its ALWAYS something more important every year. Getting ready for baseball is more important. Lifting for a football scholarship is more important, going to watch a bowl game is more important, going down south to visit family over break is more important, etc ... etc ...

Athens basketball takes a back seat to everything. Its unfortunate.
I see your point. Some of your list is a lot more important than others. Some kids going for some really big things. I don’t know any inner details but missing for a high academic opportunity and missing because you did something dumb. One kid without argument let the team down. Another kid I bet wanted to do both but schedule wouldn’t allow it.

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

I get it, too. And I hope your first important excuse wasn't personal. To me, this starts with the school district. By aligning Athens city schools schedule with OU, families have an excuse if they want to take it (and they normally do). The bowl game, yeah, don't like it, but again, not going to happen again in our lifetime. On the other hand. Long holiday break....., yes, let's take a visit down south to family (or have it determined legally). We'll be gone Dec 20-28.....basketball has no flow from around Dec 20 ish until Jan 2ish.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

My sophomore year I had a chance to go to Hawaii, to the Hula Bowl, meet a bunch of future NFL players and Lou Holtz, with an all star cheerleading squad my mom coached ... Hawaii & cheerleaders ... and I said no cause it was during the season & I'd have to miss a few games.

Yeah, I'm an idiot, I probably should have went. But I didnt want to let my teammates down.

Ever since Saltzmen didn't play his junior year, which really hurt not having him, Athens has had at least one player not play and multiple players leave the team at least once during the season. Every single year.

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

We're cut from the same cloth. I agree with you. Never would let teammates down.
As for this year. The scholarship money is different (talking 10's of thousands).
The continued stupidity is letting teammates down.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:03 am My sophomore year I had a chance to go to Hawaii, to the Hula Bowl, meet a bunch of future NFL players and Lou Holtz, with an all star cheerleading squad my mom coached ... Hawaii & cheerleaders ... and I said no cause it was during the season & I'd have to miss a few games.

Yeah, I'm an idiot, I probably should have went. But I didnt want to let my teammates down.

Ever since Saltzmen didn't play his junior year, which really hurt not having him, Athens has had at least one player not play and multiple players leave the team at least once during the season. Every single year.
Yeah, you're an idiot. Hey.. you said it first.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

6-4-3=2o wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:16 pm

Top 4 after 1/31 games

Alexander (12-5),(7-1)
Athens (12-5),(7-2)
Meigs (9-8),(6-3)

Meigs 69, Athens 67

Meigs

Burnem - 1
Cleland - 22
Baer - 18
Hoover - 8
Musser - 6
Cox - 10
Stewart - 5

Athens

Markins - 22
Trainer - 15
Wallace - 3
Whiting - 14
Matters - 10
Sayer - 3

Somebody gonna get a letter from a lawyer now.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Letting VC back into the race---might not be a good thing????

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

vcgrad wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:31 am Letting VC back into the race---might not be a good thing????
They control their own destiny now.

Get Alex at home, Athens on the road.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

They was a lot of no calls that was a foul. Fouls called that should not of been called. Fouls called the wrong way. All on both teams.

thebarlowbandit
All State

itsme wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:53 am They was a lot of no calls that was a foul. Fouls called that should not of been called. Fouls called the wrong way. All on both teams.
FYI, it’s NOT a foul until the referee blows his whistle and raises his fist. Otherwise it’s just your opinion. An opinion from the cheap seats. If you believe it’s so easy, why don’t you get a license and make an extra buck while you prefect the game.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:41 pm FYI, it’s NOT a foul until the referee blows his whistle and raises his fist. Otherwise it’s just your opinion. An opinion from the cheap seats. If you believe it’s so easy, why don’t you get a license and make an extra buck while you prefect the game.
That crew has always been bad both ways.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:49 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:41 pm FYI, it’s NOT a foul until the referee blows his whistle and raises his fist. Otherwise it’s just your opinion. An opinion from the cheap seats. If you believe it’s so easy, why don’t you get a license and make an extra buck while you prefect the game.
That crew has always been bad both ways.
You can find the link at OHSAA.org. Maybe good exercise to get you out of your parents basement. One of those guys is from Warren and works the State Tournament. I’m sure you’d do much better.

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:41 pm
itsme wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:53 am They was a lot of no calls that was a foul. Fouls called that should not of been called. Fouls called the wrong way. All on both teams.
FYI, it’s NOT a foul until the referee blows his whistle and raises his fist. Otherwise it’s just your opinion. An opinion from the cheap seats. If you believe it’s so easy, why don’t you get a license and make an extra buck while you prefect the game.
Watched it many times now. That last foul didn't cost us the game, but it was a bad call. Doesn't matter. We turned the ball over several times at key junctures. Have to regroup and get ready for VC

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:53 pm You can find the link at OHSAA.org. Maybe good exercise to get you out of your parents basement. One of those guys is from Warren and works the State Tournament. I’m sure you’d do much better.
I know he’s from Warren

Return to “Boys Basketball”