Trimble 59 Federal Hocking 52 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Trimble 59 Federal Hocking 52 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Trimble 59
Fed Hock 52 a final

... a battle of the top 2 teams in the TVC Hocking started out as expected with Coach Howie's Tomcats showing what a team which plays no one over 6-0 tall NEEDS to do to get W's and be relevant - BE PHYSICAL , push the ball, attack the rim, attack the boards, harass the opponent on the perimeter ... Fed Hock came into the game averaging 80 ppg on the offensive end ... undefeated in the TVC Hocking ... dropping 8-10 triples per game , a team which put pressure on opponents for 32 minutes, full court trapping at every opportunity ... BOTH teams worked to apply their MO's ONLY one was successful in perfecting/ getting the job done tonight ...

... the first quarter showed each team to be effective in forcing TOs as Trimble finished the period with 4 TOs to Fed Hocks 5 ... FH's big man in the middle got touches down low and had 2 offensive rebounds he converted to points (6 points in the quarter for Russell) - Russell got support from Nathaniel Massie's 4 pts and a deuce by Collin Jarvis ... Trimble showed their plan on both ends - force TOs with pressure on the ball, push the ball offensively with the end game being to get shots in the paint ( THS with 5 fgs ALL in the paint in the first quarter) led by Blake Guffey 6 pts/ Tyler Weber 4 pts/ Brayden Weber & Kyle Kennedy 2 each ... Trimble 14 Fed Hock 12 after 1 ... Quarter #2 showed a lot of action "between the 20's" but neither team showing much for their efforts Trimble with 11 points as a TEAM in the 2nd (Brayden Weber netting 9 on his ball with a triple) ALL but one of Trimbles made fgs were IN the paint ... for Fed Hock only 5 points in the period 2 fgs by Brad Russell (one on an uncontested 2 hand slam) ... Trimble 25 Fed Hock 17 at intermission ... Trimble pushed the lead to double digits in the 3rd behind Blake Duffy's 7 points /Brayden Weber added 4 in the quarter 15 points thru 3 ... the biggest push of the game come from Tyler Weber getting 2 steals and b2b transition buckets in the quarter to offset a mini run by FH led by 6 points from the 6-5 Russell ... in the end the Trimble defense won the 3rd forcing 8 FH TOs resulting in 3 transition buckets for the Tomcats in the quarter ... Trimble 42 Fed Hock 29 after 3 ... Fed Hock dropped 11 three pointers on Southern in the Lancers last game - tonight thru 3 quarters FH was 0 for 10 ... the shooters were there but the long range game wasn't - in the 4th the Lancers pulled within 3 points on the back of 4 triples in the quarter - 2 from Nathaniel Massie/a deep trey from the left corner by Smith and an opposite corner bomb from Ian Miller ... 23 points for the Lancers in the 4th ... Trimble answered with Blake Duffy coming up big on the inside along with Sawyer Koons as the duo dropped 7 & 6 points respectively and 7/9 FT shooting down the stretch to seal the Tomcats W and force tie at the top of the TVC Hocking ... Trimble 59 Federal Hocking 52 a final ...

... Pfloyd's official UN-official Napkin Stats - Federal Hocking

Scoring ... Brad Russell 16, Nathaniel Massie 10, Hunter Smith 7, Collin Jarvis 7, Elijah Lucas 5, Wes Carpenter 4, Ian Miller 3
3 Pointers ... 4/19 ... Nathaniel Massie 2, Hunter Smith 1,Ian MIller 1
FTs ....... 4/7
TOs ...... 18
PnP ..... 17 fgs/34 points in the paint
PnT ..... 2 fg/4 points in transition
PBck .... 6 fg/12 points on putback buckets

... the Lancers learned a lot imo from tonight's game - "if you are going to play with the top dog in the league YOU have to PLAY with the top dog in the league" ... Fed Hock got "out muscled" by the decidedly smaller Tomcats TEAM ... on the road, in the Tomcat Den - you have to at least be AS physical as the Tomcats - didn't happen tonight ... the strength of any team with size vs a team without size is getting the ball down inside to your big in this case it would be 6-5 Brad Russell ... the big Lancer in the middle had 16 points on the night, scored fairly easy down low - he just didn't get as many touches as he should have gotten imo ... give credit to the Trimble D both inside and on the perimeter - nothing got into the paint easily, the pressure on the perimeter made it difficult for the perimeter folks to get good looks/passes into the paint ... Federal Hocking will be a different team come Round #2 in Stewart ...

... Pfloyd's official UN-official Napkin Stats - Trimble

Scoring ... Blake Guffey 20, Brayden Weber 17, Tyler Weber 8, Sawyer Koons 6, Kyle Kennedy 4, Zach Duffey 2, Austin Wisor 2
3 Pointers ... 1/7 ... Brayden Weber 1
FTs .......... 12/15
TOs ..... 16
PnP ...... 21 fgs/42 points in the paint
PnT .... 6 fgs/ 12 points in transition
PBck .... 3 fgs/ 6 points on putback buckets

... what can you say, Howie knows the strengths & weaknesses of his Tomcats ... the TEAM used their strength, out played FH physically ... pushed the ball offensively hence 6 fgs in transition ... when Trimble needed to run their offense they got high percentage shots in the paint/at the rim 21 of 23 fgs made were IN THE PAINT ... although Trimble was patient and disciplined with the ball most of the night - they too learned from tonight's game - when the Lancers began making their runs in the 3rd and 4th qtrs. the Tomcats needed to be MORE patient, MORE disciplined with ball - when the opposition is making threes, it appeared that Trimble became less patient - taking quick/un-needed shots - quick shots + turnovers = keeps the opposition IN the game ... Stewart ... Round #2 Federal Hocking vs Trimble for the outright TVC Hocking Championship February 7th - mark it on your calendars !
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JC2124
Varsity

Re: Trimble 59 Federal Hocking 52 a final ...

Post by JC2124 »

Great rundown as always Pfloyd! The second period was the difference in this one. On the road against a quality team you cant have an off quarter. Trimble was efficient as they always are. As a basketball fan you really can appreciate the way the Tomcats play. The Lancers put up 35 in the second half and seemed to wake up after the monster dunk by Brad Russell. Trimble led by 1 point with 1:26 to go and the Lancers forced up a bad shot. Would have liked to seen a little more patience and tried to find one of our big men down low. Growing pains I will call it as this team is still learning how to win. Trimble in Stewart in February is gonna be electric! I expect that one will be for the league title. Can’t wait to see it

DUNK1
Freshman Team

Post by DUNK1 »

Really want much of a game
Once again my boy out coached a would be challenger
Our cats led the whole way and really were in control of every aspect of the game

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

It was a 1 point game with 1:26 to go. I will give props to Howie and his kids. They play hard. This will be a different game in Stewart.

Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

JC2124 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:04 am It was a 1 point game with 1:26 to go. I will give props to Howie and his kids. They play hard. This will be a different game in Stewart.
Yes it will be much different in Stewart. We won't have the stench of Glouster to fight, nor the stench of he officials that Howdee hires. Lancers will run wild in Stewart and I can hardly wait to see Howdee get his arse handed to him as the Lancers claim the league crown. :o

Scottyboy
Riding the Bench

Post by Scottyboy »

I saw 3 pictures of the tip off. The ref didn't throw it in the air. He literally threw it to the Trimble player. In all 3 pictures, he was looking down. Crazy!! I bet Russel gets a shot to tip the ball the next meeting.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Scottyboy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:38 pm I saw 3 pictures of the tip off. The ref didn't throw it in the air. He literally threw it to the Trimble player. In all 3 pictures, he was looking down. Crazy!! I bet Russel gets a shot to tip the ball the next meeting.
The tip often decides the game

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Fed Hock lost because of coaching. That was stupid to run with Trimble. Fed Hock has the best center in the league. Trimble has no size

Scottyboy
Riding the Bench

Post by Scottyboy »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:40 pm
Scottyboy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:38 pm I saw 3 pictures of the tip off. The ref didn't throw it in the air. He literally threw it to the Trimble player. In all 3 pictures, he was looking down. Crazy!! I bet Russel gets a shot to tip the ball the next meeting.
I didn't see the game. I only saw pictures of the tip. The ref should be ashamed of himself. Maybe that's why he had his head down lol. From what I have heard though, a lot of bad calls against the Lancers. A lot of times when teams lose they blame it on bad calls. Maybe this game was, or maybe they down right got out played, I don't know. But from seeing the pictures, seems to me the Lancers were cheated. I say Lancers take the next meeting.

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

The refs were fine. I think there was a couple bad calls but you have that in most games. They let them play a little more than I would have liked but consistent with their calls. Bottom line is we came out flat in the second and shot 22% from 3. I think that was a product of Trimbles defense and FH not playing a game for 2 weeks. Trimble played well too...as they almost always do. FH is still learning, they won 6 games last year and they need to figure out how to win the close games on the road. We scored 35 in the second half, they will be fine. I expect the game in Stewart will be a war. Looking forward to it.

The jump ball toss was the worst I’ve ever seen though! I can agree that it had zero bearing on the outcome of the game however.
Last edited by JC2124 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:45 pm Fed Hock lost because of coaching. That was stupid to run with Trimble. Fed Hock has the best center in the league. Trimble has no size
You don’t score 80 a game without running. When the press wasn’t working I think we should have backed out of it. As far as running we can do that but your press better be working. It didn’t in this game. Gave up way to many easy buckets.

Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

Scottyboy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:47 pm
I didn't see the game. I only saw pictures of the tip. The ref should be ashamed of himself. Maybe that's why he had his head down lol. From what I have heard though, a lot of bad calls against the Lancers. A lot of times when teams lose they blame it on bad calls. Maybe this game was, or maybe they down right got out played, I don't know. But from seeing the pictures, seems to me the Lancers were cheated. I say Lancers take the next meeting.
The refs stunk almost as bad as the town. I've taken two showers and a bath a day in and attempt to rid the caustic effluvia from my person. The Lancers will run them out of the gym, just as they did Howdee, when they meet again in Stewart with unbiased officials. :o

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

JC2124 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:56 pm The refs were fine. I think there was a couple bad calls but you have that in most games. They let them play a little more than I would have liked but consistent with their calls. Bottom line is we came out flat in the second and shot 22% from 3. I think that was a product of Trimbles defense and FH not playing a game for 2 weeks. Trimble played well too...as they almost always do. FH is still learning, they won 6 games last year and they need to figure out how to win the close games on the road. We scored 35 in the second half, they will be fine. I expect the game in Stewart will a war. Looking forward to it.

The jump ball toss was the worst I’ve ever seen though! I can agree that it had zero bearing on the outcome of the game however.
I agree.

Dirty Sanchez
Riding the Bench

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

Orestes' wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:20 pm
Scottyboy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:47 pm

The refs stunk almost as bad as the town. I've taken two showers and a bath a day in and attempt to rid the caustic effluvia from my person. The Lancers will run them out of the gym, just as they did Howdee, when they meet again in Stewart with unbiased officials. :o
If you thought those refs were bad, just wait till you go to Southern. I'm sure they'll have their best hometown crew ready for you when you head that way. :lol:

The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

Post by The Ultimate Lancer »

Dirty Sanchez wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:42 pm
Orestes' wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:20 pm
Scottyboy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:47 pm I didn't see the game. I only saw pictures of the tip. The ref should be ashamed of himself. Maybe that's why he had his head down lol. From what I have heard though, a lot of bad calls against the Lancers. A lot of times when teams lose they blame it on bad calls. Maybe this game was, or maybe they down right got out played, I don't know. But from seeing the pictures, seems to me the Lancers were cheated. I say Lancers take the next meeting.
If you thought those refs were bad, just wait till you go to Southern. I'm sure they'll have their best hometown crew ready for you when you head that way. :lol:
Yes the officials were bad, and yes Howie will get repaid when he comes to Stewart. We'll be sure to hire a crew that's not "scared of Howie." If he pulls his usual crap he'll probably get to sit and watch the game, if you know what I mean. And that hacking and fouling won't be tolerated. If Trimble plays like they did at home they'll all foul out at Federal, or anywhere else on the road. That's prolly what happened when they went to Southern. Just sayin

BRING BACK The used car salesman/part time football manager!
Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

If Fed allowed the opening tip to dictate the rest of the game then that just shows their immaturity. That is one possession and has nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

Stop making excuses and start making things happen!
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I know all three refs.
They are not from around here at all.
Could probably care less who won or lost.
I thought they did a pretty good job. Refs are not perfect, they will miss calls & make mistakes - it happens at all levels.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

g w mclintock wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:30 pm
JC2124 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:56 pm The refs were fine. I think there was a couple bad calls but you have that in most games. They let them play a little more than I would have liked but consistent with their calls. Bottom line is we came out flat in the second and shot 22% from 3. I think that was a product of Trimbles defense and FH not playing a game for 2 weeks. Trimble played well too...as they almost always do. FH is still learning, they won 6 games last year and they need to figure out how to win the close games on the road. We scored 35 in the second half, they will be fine. I expect the game in Stewart will a war. Looking forward to it.

I agree.
I agree as well. The jump ball toss may not have been the worst I have ever seen, but it was really close. Impact the game, not a bit.
93Bulldog wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:56 pm I know all three refs.
I thought they did a pretty good job. Refs are not perfect, they will miss calls & make mistakes - it happens at all levels.
Don't know the refs, and yes, they missed some calls, but in the grand scheme of things, they did not impact the outcome of the came. Too many easy baskets off the press, lack of patience on offense on the part of the Lancers, and some sloppy ball handling all contributed to the Tomcats winning. Fed cleans those things up, game #2 in Stewart will be a victory for the Lancers.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
DUNK1
Freshman Team

Post by DUNK1 »

Steely Dan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:50 pm

I agree.
I agree as well. The jump ball toss may not have been the worst I have ever seen, but it was really close. Impact the game, not a bit.
Don't know the refs, and yes, they missed some calls, but in the grand scheme of things, they did not impact the outcome of the came. Too many easy baskets off the press, lack of patience on offense on the part of the Lancers, and some sloppy ball handling all contributed to the Tomcats winning. Fed cleans those things up, game #2 in Stewart will be a victory for the Lancers.
Gee, according to your synopsis of the game Trimble play no part in it other than hiring questionable refs and getting luck on the opening tip toss. I guess FH would have lost to anyone on that night. Thanks for the motivation for Howie and the the boys on the team.

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

DUNK1 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:27 am
Steely Dan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:50 pm

I agree.
Gee, according to your synopsis of the game Trimble play no part in it other than hiring questionable refs and getting luck on the opening tip toss. I guess FH would have lost to anyone on that night. Thanks for the motivation for Howie and the the boys on the team.
I know you’re just here to stir the pot but I don’t think anyone took any credit from Trimble. I doubt Howie needs motivation of any kind....good luck to Trimble on the road. A lot of basketball left to play.

Return to “Boys Basketball”