Federal Hocking 81 Southern 70 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Federal Hocking 81 Southern 70 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Federal Hocking 81
Southern 70 a final

... I made my first trip to Stewart to take in the Federal Hocking vs Southern game Friday night - I wasn't disappointed ! great atmosphere for high school hoops ... a packed house, some excellent basketball by 2 good basketball teams ... Wow ! I'm looking at the notes on my napkin stat sheets from tonight's game ... words such as "relentless" "attacking" "on ball pressure for 32 minutes" ALL describe the Federal Hocking basketball team in tonight's game ... the Lancers have the length to be effective trapping full court and the depth to make it happen for 32 minutes ... the Lancers turned the Tornadoes over 26 times on the night ... 10 times in the 3rd period that broke the game open in favor of Fed Hock as the Lancers outscored Southern 27-13 ... at the 5:35 in the period FH led 35-30 TO Southern ... the Lancers went on a 13-0 run in the next 2:11 of the play clock to jump in front 48-30 ... FH went 5/10 from downtown in the 3rd (Nathaniel Massie with 3 triples in the qtr/with support from behind the 3 point line from Wes Carpenter/Hunter Smith (each with a trey in the period) and 8 points from Elijah Lucas ... the Tornadoes were paced by 2 of Cole Steele's 7 triples on the night but could only muster 3 fgs in the 3rd period ... Federal Hocking 55 Southern 38 after 3 ... a 17 point lead for FH or from the Southern point of view down 17 points ... one MIGHT expect FH to take the air out of the ball - A LITTLE - didn't happen ... or Southern to throw in the towel - didn't happen as the Tornadoes lit up the scoredboard for 32 points in the 4th led by the duo of Cole Steele (3 triples in the 4th/11 points) and Arrow Drummer - 13 points in the quarter/23 for the game ... not to be outdone FH added 26 points the 4th qtr. keeping the lead at the double digit numbers with 6-5 Brad Russell leading the scoring with 11 pts in the period ... with Massie and Hunter Smith giving support on the offensive end with Massie adding 5 and Smith 6 respectively... Southern battled back , drawing to with 7 at 68-75 with :59 on the clock ... in the end there wasn't enough time on the clock for Southern to get all the way back as Fed Hock outscored SHS 6-2 to close out the scoring on the night ... Federal Hocking 81 Southern 70 a final ...

... Pfloyd's official UN-official Napkin Stats - Southern ...

Scoring ... Cole Steele 31 , Arrow Drummer 23, Landon Hill 7, Trey McNickle 3, Codi Anderson 3, Colton Parker 3
3 Pointers ... 9/20 ... Cole Steele 7, Landon Hill 1, Colton Parker 1
FTs ...... 11/17
TOs .... 26
PnP ... 16 fgs/32 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/4 points in transition
Pbck .... 2 fgs/4 points on putbacks

... I have to give props to a Tornado squad that was under attack for 32 minutes, "relentless" on ball pressure by FH ... 26 turnovers BUT to Coach Caldwell's TEAM's credit there was never a sign of "quitting" - which is why the Tornadoes were right there in the 4th period , getting the score to under 10 points in the 4th ... a 32 point 4th quarter ! - outstanding ... Cole Steele/Arrow Drummer - 2 of the best I have seen outside and inside - the duo combined for 54 points last night ... it was my pleasure to meet Coach Jeff Caldwell tonight ... look for the Tornadoes to give New Boston arguably the top D4 team in SEOhio ALL they want as they host the Tigers on Dec 28th ...

... Pfloyd's official UN-official Napkin Stats - Federal Hocking ...

Scoring ... Brad Russell 23, Nathaniel Massie 19, Hunter Smith 18, Elijah Lucas 9, Wes Carpenter 5, Quinton Basim 4, Collin Jarvis 2, Adam Douglas 1
3 Pointers ... 10/29 ... Nathaniel Massie 4, Hunter Smith 3, Wes Carpenter 1, Brad Russell 1, Quinton Basim 1
FTs ...... 11/16
TOs ...... 15
PnP ..... 17 fgs / 34 points in the paint
PnT ..... 4 fgs/8 points in transition
Pbck ..... 3 fgs/ 6 points on putback buckets

... Federal Hocking played 10 , pressured full court relentlessly for 32 minutes ... I saw a whole lot of talent for the Lancers - Nathaniel Massie is as good as you will find on any team, 6-5 senior Brad Russell has an excellent all around game at both ends of the floor - knocked down a smooth triple in the 4th period tonight to show THAT as part of his offensive talents (23 points) ... Elijah Lucas had 9 points/6-4ish (looks taller to me) great length, gets a lot of boards and he has a sweet midrange jumper from the baseline - he doesn't even realize his full offensive potential yet ... he can be a 4th double digit scorer for the Lancers once he gets comfortable attacking the rim ... defensively they ALL play D ... the bench may not get you the points but they definitely bring the D when they get in the game - Wes Carpenter/Quinton Basim/Adam Douglas/Brandon Bond/Lane Smith ... the mix on the rotation is good that offensively FH doesn't miss a beat when the subs enter ... I've had the Lancers moving up the rankings - my eyes on tonight has them continuing to climb ... a very nice ball club who compares favorably with with ANY team in the TVC ...

... I would like to thank the folks at Fed Hock for making me feel right at home ! met the FH AD Kirby Seeger when I walked in , he showed me into the gym where I had a table behind the FH bench ... Kirby was at Logan for a couple of years before taking the AD position at Fed Hock - a quality person and I'm sure a excellent admin for FH ... good to meet JC2124 ! thanks so much for the rosters ... ran into a Dale McPhearson one of the many regulars at the Convo every year that joins me in the Cheap Seats at the Round House in Athens for Basketball 30 ... and as I posted earlier it was my pleasure to meet both head coaches tonight - I've had the pleasure of meeting many many coaches in Southern/Southeast Ohio - ALL are class acts in my book ... best of luck to both Federal Hocking and Southern the rest of the way !

The Little General
Riding the Bench

Re: Federal Hocking 81 Southern 70 a final

Post by The Little General »

That’s right fed hock

Sleep on the Falcons

Your turn is coming

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

I thought it was a tale of two halves. Southern did a really nice job controlling the pace in the first half. Southern played really well. Cole Steele and Arrow Drummer carried the tornados. I think the Lancers pressure and depth proved to much in the end. Relentless is a good way to describe it. If you don’t have depth it gets to you. It looked like Southern got tired in the 3rd and FH hit some shots. To me that was the difference in the game. Good crowd on hand made for a great atmosphere. Pfloyd in the house made it better! Peebles comes to to Fed Hock in February. Maybe a return visit for the purple hippo?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

JC2124 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:23 pm I thought it was a tale of two halves. Southern did a really nice job controlling the pace in the first half. Southern played really well. Cole Steele and Arrow Drummer carried the tornados. I think the Lancers pressure and depth proved to much in the end. Relentless is a good way to describe it. If you don’t have depth it gets to you. It looked like Southern got tired in the 3rd and FH hit some shots. To me that was the difference in the game. Good crowd on hand made for a great atmosphere. Pfloyd in the house made it better! Peebles comes to to Fed Hock in February. Maybe a return visit for the purple hippo?
LOL , I already penciled that one in on my hoops calendar JC2124 ! Peebles is a lot like the Lancers - deep, length, scorers and role players - should be a dandy ! Southern DID play well in the first half with FH leading 14-13 after 1 and 28-25 going into the break ... the 3rd quarter was the turning point with the turned up to Spinal Tap level 11 on the defensive end which last night for FH was the ENTIRE court ! FH has the length to trap on the inbounds, then trap again on the perimeter but THAT is only as effective as the rest of the team getting in the passing lanes on that pass out of the double team ... with the length the Lancers have in the trap the offense has to jump pass to get rid of the ball - which last night found FH defenders in the passing lanes - 26 turnovers were the result ... I agree on the constant pressure, and pushing the ball offensively taking it's toll on Southern ... the reality is that it didn't take long for FH to go from a 5 point lead to the first 18 point lead ! ... I checked my math and it was 35-30 when SHS took a timeout ... after the timeout the next 1:49 on the game clock had the Lancers go on a 13-0 run making it a 48-30 lead LOL ... 10 turnovers in the 3rd, 5/10 three point shooting in the 3rd by FH, a combined 19 points by Massie/Lucas in the 3rd - Lucas is a game changers as HE can be a 15 ppg scorer as the 4th option ! the 4th option ... I enjoyed it last night ! Coach Thompson & his staff the Lancers playing well ... talked to a gentleman on my way out after the game, he said Coach Thompson has a couple of scrimmages arranged with a couple of the big Parkersburg WVa schools to keep the Lancers grounded ... I wish FH the best moving forward - things have turned around in Stewart for sure - good to see !

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

great to hear fed hock is back congrats

Return to “Boys Basketball”