Varsity

Re: Wheelersburg Pirates 2019-20 Season

Post by Hawks1112 »

Wheelersburg only has a 20 game schedule, is that all there playing this year

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I was told Wheelersburg dropped the contract with Russell in late September. I’m not sure if there is any truth to it. It was second hand information.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

I am pretty sure that burg and Russell are not playing this year. I don’t know the specifics either. Burg is still looking to fill that date with another opponent

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:46 am There was some news that Miller is unable to play any sports this year after sustaining that injury in football. Any validity to this?
I’ve heard from several prominent burg people that is should be ready for round ball

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Hawks1112 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:54 pm Wheelersburg only has a 20 game schedule, is that all there playing this year
Greenup Co has been added on Jan. 25. Still working to finalize the Russell game.

_BlackBeard_
Waterboy

Post by _BlackBeard_ »

Who will the starting five be?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Miller, Truitt and McCorkle will be there most likely and the other 2 spots could be....Clark, Swords, Adkins or Sanderlin....

_BlackBeard_
Waterboy

Post by _BlackBeard_ »

4thgoal wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:46 pm Miller, Truitt and McCorkle will be there most likely and the other 2 spots could be....Clark, Swords, Adkins or Sanderlin....
This will be a junior led team I believe they only have one senior on the roster.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

_BlackBeard_ wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:13 am
4thgoal wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:46 pm Miller, Truitt and McCorkle will be there most likely and the other 2 spots could be....Clark, Swords, Adkins or Sanderlin....
This will be a junior led team I believe they only have one senior on the roster.
Yes, although I have heard rumors of other seniors coming out, but only one returner.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

There are 8 juniors on this team and I believe all will play. 5 of them are not playing football if you don’t count Miller and have been working with coach ater all summer. The other 2 juniors play football and may have some catching up to do. As well as the lone senior and freshman and the 3 sophomores. I think there will be a few juniors that will surprise some people with their playing time early. And then as we get farther into the season we will have to see what the rotation ends up being. But burg is very deep and very young this year

_BlackBeard_
Waterboy

Post by _BlackBeard_ »

victor creed wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:52 am There are 8 juniors on this team and I believe all will play. 5 of them are not playing football if you don’t count Miller and have been working with coach ater all summer. The other 2 juniors play football and may have some catching up to do. As well as the lone senior and freshman and the 3 sophomores. I think there will be a few juniors that will surprise some people with their playing time early. And then as we get farther into the season we will have to see what the rotation ends up being. But burg is very deep and very young this year
Isn't there 3 juniors playing football? (Dyer, Adkins, and Montgomery)

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

_BlackBeard_ wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:04 pm
victor creed wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:52 am There are 8 juniors on this team and I believe all will play. 5 of them are not playing football if you don’t count Miller and have been working with coach ater all summer. The other 2 juniors play football and may have some catching up to do. As well as the lone senior and freshman and the 3 sophomores. I think there will be a few juniors that will surprise some people with their playing time early. And then as we get farther into the season we will have to see what the rotation ends up being. But burg is very deep and very young this year
Isn't there 3 juniors playing football? (Dyer, Adkins, and Montgomery)
Yes sir. But I don’t believe Dyer is playing this year To my knowledge he wasn’t at tryouts. And I believe he is all in on baseball and weights for football next year

_BlackBeard_
Waterboy

Post by _BlackBeard_ »

WIll it be a battle between Burg and Waverly for the SOC?

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

I would guess those 2 would be the favorites. I think you have to include oak hill as being another possibility They have few good ones returning and norm will always have they ready to play.

bigburgboy
Riding the Bench

Post by bigburgboy »

After graduating one of, if not the most storied senior class that Burg has seen for not just basketball but in all of sports. I certainly believe that these players can keep "rowing the boat" and I would expect them competing for a District title when the time comes.

Having that large amount of juniors can only help this team, with having many of them expecting minutes this season, all but Truitt have been playing together since the 4th grade. The chemistry should be there for this team and with football being over a week earlier than it has been in many years that extra week will only help them if there are any holes that need to be filled before game 1.

_BlackBeard_
Waterboy

Post by _BlackBeard_ »

Burg and Jackson will be a good one.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

It should be a pretty good one. Burg has several games on the schedule that will be tests. Jackson. South point ironton. Portsmouth, all will be big games. Looking forward to watching these kids improve as the season goes along. I have been watching them since kindergarten.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

bigburgboy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:37 am After graduating one of, if not the most storied senior class that Burg has seen for not just basketball but in all of sports. I certainly believe that these players can keep "rowing the boat" and I would expect them competing for a District title when the time comes.

Having that large amount of juniors can only help this team, with having many of them expecting minutes this season, all but Truitt have been playing together since the 4th grade. The chemistry should be there for this team and with football being over a week earlier than it has been in many years that extra week will only help them if there are any holes that need to be filled before game 1.
Well said, Well said. I agree that the chemistry should be there for sure, especially since the starting lineup will be mostly if not all Juniors. Sucks that Burg lost the two Thompson's who always produce points..

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:29 am
bigburgboy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:37 am After graduating one of, if not the most storied senior class that Burg has seen for not just basketball but in all of sports. I certainly believe that these players can keep "rowing the boat" and I would expect them competing for a District title when the time comes.

Well said, Well said. I agree that the chemistry should be there for sure, especially since the starting lineup will be mostly if not all Juniors. Sucks that Burg lost the two Thompson's who always produce points..
Don't be surprised if you see 3 juniors 1 sophomore 1 freshman as the starting five by February

bigburgboy
Riding the Bench

Post by bigburgboy »

Blitz wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:50 am
PirateFan[69] wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:29 am

Don't be surprised if you see 3 juniors 1 sophomore 1 freshman as the starting five by February
Blitz, I also agree with that statement on the starting lineup by tourney time, definitely some underclassmen making some noise in pre-season.. I was just talking about the tight knit Jr. group, which should be important to the success of the team.

Return to “Boys Basketball”