2020 State brackets are up and you can’t believe what you see

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

2020 State brackets are up and you can’t believe what you see

Post by LucasDavenport »

According to the OHSAA when you click on the 2020 State tournament brackets ....D2 gets 2 to regionals again and is joined by 2 East Reps in Athens.

Their board notes say 1 team from the SE district in D2.

The board notes would be correct.

D3 and D4 Same as last year

2 SE and 1 East and 1 Central.
Last edited by LucasDavenport on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: 2020 State brackets are up

Post by trojandave »

The SE district will have a tough time getting any school to the state this year. I don't know who would have the best chance, maybe New Boston, although the D4 regional will be difficult, with Berlin Hiland always a threat, and Grandview Heights also a contender.

In D3, North Adams and Zane Trace look to be the best of the SE district, but I don't believe either has enough to upend the Central District representative, namely Africentric, Harvest Prep, or the Wellington School.

In D2, I don't see any SE team advancing to the state. Defending regional champion Sheridan lost some key pieces, and they probably will be good again, but not regional championship good.

The last SE district school to win a game in the Final 4 was Portsmouth, which defeated Ottawa-Glandorf 74-66 in the D3 2012 state semifinals. It was the Trojans' 16th win in state tournament play, good for a 4th place tie all time with Middletown. Ironically, Ottawa-Glandorf beat Ironton the very next year in the semifinals, then went on to win the D3 state championship.

This year will mark 8 years since Portsmouth's 2012 semifinal victory. There have been several SE teams to advance to the state since then, namely Ironton, Warren, Lynchburg Clay, and Fairland. All have failed to win their semifinal game.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Tri Valley and Zanesville drop to D2 now.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Southeast is only getting one to regional in D2. Those are last year's brackets and they say 2020 at the top. Sloppy by the OHSAA. Go into the OHSAA board minutes where they note tournament draws and it clearly says one for the SE in D2 this season.

https://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Board-of-Di ... 6-3-19.pdf

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

bman wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:44 am Southeast is only getting one to regional in D2. Those are last year's brackets and they say 2020 at the top. Sloppy by the OHSAA. Go into the OHSAA board minutes where they note tournament draws and it clearly says one for the SE in D2 this season.

Great catch bman. I will edit the original post

Pete_Bell
Freshman Team

Re: 2020 State brackets are up and you can’t believe what you see

Post by Pete_Bell »

Will be interesting to see the SE DII sectional format.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Pete_Bell wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:23 am Will be interesting to see the SE DII sectional format.
If it’s a Super Sectional then

15 v 18 winner gets the 2
16 v 17 winner gets the 1

And then 16 team bracket with 4 going to district Tournament at The Convo.

4 become 1 and that champ moves to Regionals

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:58 am
bman wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:44 am Southeast is only getting one to regional in D2. Those are last year's brackets and they say 2020 at the top. Sloppy by the OHSAA. Go into the OHSAA board minutes where they note tournament draws and it clearly says one for the SE in D2 this season.

Great catch bman. I will edit the original post
No problem. I originally did the same thing you did back in May.

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

I don't see why a SE DII team couldn't get hot and win 2 regional games. Will for sure be more difficult with only 1 team having the chance but I don't see a dominant DII team in the Central or East that a SE team couldn't defeat on a given night. Columbus South moving up to DI certainly helps.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Treyman3 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:14 pm I don't see why a SE DII team couldn't get hot and win 2 regional games. Will for sure be more difficult with only 1 team having the chance but I don't see a dominant DII team in the Central or East that a SE team couldn't defeat on a given night. Columbus South moving up to DI certainly helps.
Possible, of course. Watterson is typically a different animal and DeSales has been really solid the last couple years. Not entirely sure what's coming out of the East. Mix that with the fact that SE D2 doesn't seem to be as strong as years past and I do think it will be a real challenge to get out of the Regional.

As strange as it sounds, I think Zane Trace would have had the best odds to get out but now they are D3... and I think their odds of getting out are LESS in D3.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:36 am Possible, of course. Watterson is typically a different animal and DeSales has been really solid the last couple years. Not entirely sure what's coming out of the East. Mix that with the fact that SE D2 doesn't seem to be as strong as years past and I do think it will be a real challenge to get out of the Regional.

As strange as it sounds, I think Zane Trace would have had the best odds to get out but now they are D3... and I think their odds of getting out are LESS in D3.
D3 is basically one good team and the rest are average for the whole region. D2 they could lose game 1. I’m sure Zane Trace is very happy in D3

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:51 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:36 am Possible, of course. Watterson is typically a different animal and DeSales has been really solid the last couple years. Not entirely sure what's coming out of the East. Mix that with the fact that SE D2 doesn't seem to be as strong as years past and I do think it will be a real challenge to get out of the Regional.

D3 is basically one good team and the rest are average for the whole region. D2 they could lose game 1. I’m sure Zane Trace is very happy in D3
For the first few games of the tournament, absolutely, I'm sure Zane Trace would much rather be in D3.

But when it comes to Regional level competition, which is safe to assume that's the expectations of Zane Trace's team this year, the Regional competition in D2 isn't as drastic as it is D3.

Harvest Prep, Africentric, Wellington etc. are completely different animals that have dominated the region in both D4 and now also D3.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

They basically walk to the regional finals in D3. D2 is a different animal

Return to “Boys Basketball”