Conference picks in the SEO District for 2019-20 ... What say you?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Conference picks in the SEO District for 2019-20 ... What say you?

Post by pfloyd »

We've had the opportunity to see the teams in the SE District throughout the summer shootout season. Teams have had to start replacing graduated leaders/starters ... teams have jv players now moving up to the varsity level and facing varsity competition over the summer ... teams have had players transfer out - been playing during the summer season without the move outs and move ins , returning players have grown physically/basketball IQ wise since last season and teams have NEW head coaches doing the teaching/coaching court side this summer and running practices ... with ALL of this being taken into account :

What do you see as the rankings within each conference ? let's see what everyone is thinking based on what you've seen this summer...

(The teams within the leagues are not in any order other than this is how they rolled out my little mind & onto the keyboard so you have a list of the teams in each league in the SE district ... Fayetteville and Ripley obviously do not play in the SE District post season but are included here ... I did not include all teams in the MVL, MSL as most do not play in the SE post season )

SVC :

Unioto
Adena
Zane Trace
Piketon
Huntington
Paint Valley
Westfall
Southeastern

OVC:

Ironton
Chesapeake
Fairland
South Point
Rock Hill
Gallia Academy
Portsmouth
Coal Grove

SOC1

New Boston
St.Joseph (Do they start this season?)
East
Western
Green
Clay
Symmes Valley
Notre Dame

SOC2:

Wheelersburg
West
Valley
Minford
South Webster
Eastern Pike
Waverly
Northwest
Oak Hill

FAC:

Chillicothe
Greenfield McClain
Jackson
Hillsboro
Miami Trace
Washington CH

TVC Ohio

Alexander
Athens
Meigs
Vinton County
Nelsonville
Wellston
River Valley

TVC Hocking

Federal Hocking
South Gallia
Waterford
Trimble
Southern
Wahama
Belpre
Eastern Reedsville
Miller

SHAC:
Div 1 -
Eastern Brown
Ripley
North Adams
Lynchburg Clay
West Union

Div 2 -
Fairfield Leesburg
Peebles
Whiteoak
Fayetteville
Manchester

MVL:

Circleville
Logan Elm
Fairfield Union

ECOL:

Warren
Marietta

MSL

Sheridan
New Lexington
Crooksville

Independent :

Logan
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Conference picks in the SEO District for 2019-20 ... What say you?

Post by Ironman92 »

FAC

Chillicothe is one tough matchup

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I totally agree I92 ... size/strength in the paint in Brandon Noel , perimeter scoring Tre' Beard, a 6-5'sh swing man who can get into the paint in Maughmer ... AND MORE in the roll players - they are outstanding ...

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

TVC Ohio Alexander

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Pfloyd, you have the MSL and MVL names turned around with the teams.

As for the MSL, Fairfield Union, Teays Valley and Logan Elm will be my preseason top three in no particular order. Otto Kuhns is one of the top players in the league, so Carroll should be in every game and potentially contend. Amanda is a dark horse pick to contend, lost a lot but return two nice players and a few kids who can step into bigger roles.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

bman wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:21 pm Pfloyd, you have the MSL and MVL names turned around with the teams.

As for the MSL, Fairfield Union, Teays Valley and Logan Elm will be my preseason top three in no particular order. Otto Kuhns is one of the top players in the league, so Carroll should be in every game and potentially contend. Amanda is a dark horse pick to contend, lost a lot but return two nice players and a few kids who can step into bigger roles.
But AC also took a major step back coaching wise

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I'm only going to pick the OVC, which is the conference I'm most familiar with.

The 2019-2020 OVC forecast:

1. Fairland........has enough coming back from last year's conference champions to be the favorite again, although I think they will not go through the conference slate with just 1 loss......Aiden Porter is absolutely one of the best PG's in the SE district. Clayton Thomas is one of the most fundamentally sound players in the district, and can knock down the 3.
2. South Point....the only conference team to beat Fairland last season, the Pointers have 6-3 post player Austin Webb and PG Chance Gunther back, along with a good supporting cast that has varsity experience. SP must overcome inconsistent play to win the title but are definitely good enough to challenge for it.
3. Chesapeake...the Panthers were hurt by some transfers out, but the Purple and White have enough on board to be a serious contender. If the Peake can make up for the losses of 6-4 post player Eli Archer and 6-3 wing Tylan Hutchinson, who were expected to be back, they will be probably no worse than 3rd or 4th. 2 year starting guard Austin Jackson gives the Panther backcourt a stable presence.
4. Ironton........the Fighting Tigers lost two outstanding scorers and 4 year starters Charlie Large (19 PPG) and Ethan Wilson (15 PPG), yet after watching them at the Marshall Shootout, without 6-3 athletic Reid Carrico, IHS just might be better than first thought. Hacker, Barnes, and Grizzard give the Tigers some legitimate perimeter threats to go along with Carrico's inside presence. 6-4 Trent Millison will help with low post play.
5. Gallia Academy......the Blue Devils lost 4 starters, but from watching their JV team last season, there's enough coming back to make them competitive. Gallia will have to pull off some upsets, though, to be considered a serious contender for the conference crown.
6. Coal Grove...........the Hornets lost perhaps the best player in the OVC last season in PG Aaron Music, and also starters McKenzie and Harmon. Outstanding SG Corey Borders returns, but the Hornets will be seriously challenged on the boards, and scoring support for Borders is a question mark.
7. Portsmouth.........the Trojans return 3 starters, sharpshooting guard Matthew Fraulini, wing Miles Shipp, and PG Drew Roe. Watching PHS this summer, similar problems still hurt the Trojans, which are turnovers, rebounding, and finding scoring support around Fraulini. The Trojans will be better, but they must improve quite a bit to even be mentioned as a top half OVC team.
8. Rock Hill............Logan Hankins returns from a good freshman year, but the Redmen lost their post player Frantz and their PG. This is a year, though, that RH can move up in the standings if they can find enough scoring which has hindered their program's progress.

Overall, I don't think the conference will be as strong as last year, and there's probably 3-4 teams that have a legitimate shot at the title.....but it won't happen unless some teams figure out how to beat Fairland. The Dragons have had a stranglehold on the conference, as they have won 4 OVC crowns in a row. It will be interesting to see what players make first team all conference and all district.
Last edited by trojandave on Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Evaluating conference picks made me think of a trivia fact about the Portsmouth Trojans. Portsmouth has more appearances in the state tournament (15) than they have conference championships (14). I don't think there's another school in the SE district that can make that claim and probably very few in the state.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Zane Trace will win the SVC and should do it in a walk, but will missing out on a summer with the 5 man rotation together hurt them in the winter?

Adena, Unioto, Paint Valley should all be decent to good. Southeastern, Piketon, Westfall will compete on most nights. Huntington will be bad, but D4 might give them a glimmer of hope to reach the Convo.

Zane Trace, Adena, Unioto, Paint Valley all will reach the Convo, Southeastern and Piketon could as well.

Vike73
Riding the Bench

Post by Vike73 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:49 pm We've had the opportunity to see the teams in the SE District throughout the summer shootout season. Teams have had to start replacing graduated leaders/starters ... teams have jv players now moving up to the varsity level and facing varsity competition over the summer ... teams have had players transfer out - been playing during the summer season without the move outs and move ins , returning players have grown physically/basketball IQ wise since last season and teams have NEW head coaches doing the teaching/coaching court side this summer and running practices ... with ALL of this being taken into account :

What do you see as the rankings within each conference ? let's see what everyone is thinking based on what you've seen this summer...

(The teams within the leagues are not in any order other than this is how they rolled out my little mind & onto the keyboard so you have a list of the teams in each league in the SE district ... Fayetteville and Ripley obviously do not play in the SE District post season but are included here ... I did not include all teams in the MVL, MSL as most do not play in the SE post season )

SVC :

Unioto
Adena
Zane Trace
Piketon
Huntington
Paint Valley
Westfall
Southeastern

OVC:

Ironton
Chesapeake
Fairland
South Point
Rock Hill
Gallia Academy
Portsmouth
Coal Grove

SOC1

New Boston
East
Western
Green
Clay
Symmes Valley
Notre Dame

SOC2:

Wheelerburg
West
Valley
Minford
South Webster
Eastern Pike
Waverly
Northwest
Oak Hill

FAC:

Chillicothe
Greenfield McClain
Jackson
Hillsboro
Miami Trace
Washington CH

TVC Ohio

Alexander
Athens
Meigs
Vinton County
Nelsonville
Wellston
River Valley

TVC Hocking

Federal Hocking
South Gallia
Waterford
Trimble
Southern
Wahama
Belpre
Eastern Reedsville
Miller

SHAC:
Div 1 -
Eastern Brown
Ripley
North Adams
Lynchburg Clay
West Union

Div 2 -
Fairfield Leesburg
Peebles
Whiteoak
Fayetteville
Manchester

MVL:

Circleville
Logan Elm
Fairfield Union

ECOL:

Warren
Marietta

MSL

Sheridan
New Lexington
Crooksville

Independent :

Logan
Awful high on Fed Hock.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Vike73 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:56 pm
pfloyd wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:49 pm We've had the opportunity to see the teams in the SE District throughout the summer shootout season. Teams have had to start replacing graduated leaders/starters ... teams have jv players now moving up to the varsity level and facing varsity competition over the summer ... teams have had players transfer out - been playing during the summer season without the move outs and move ins , returning players have grown physically/basketball IQ wise since last season and teams have NEW head coaches doing the teaching/coaching court side this summer and running practices ... with ALL of this being taken into account :

SVC :

Unioto
Adena
Zane Trace
Piketon
Huntington
Paint Valley
Westfall
Southeastern

OVC:

Ironton
Chesapeake
Fairland
South Point
Rock Hill
Gallia Academy
Portsmouth
Coal Grove

SOC1

New Boston
East
Western
Green
Clay
Symmes Valley
Notre Dame

SOC2:

Wheelerburg
West
Valley
Minford
South Webster
Eastern Pike
Waverly
Northwest
Oak Hill

FAC:

Chillicothe
Greenfield McClain
Jackson
Hillsboro
Miami Trace
Washington CH

TVC Ohio

Alexander
Athens
Meigs
Vinton County
Nelsonville
Wellston
River Valley

TVC Hocking

Federal Hocking
South Gallia
Waterford
Trimble
Southern
Wahama
Belpre
Eastern Reedsville
Miller

SHAC:
Div 1 -
Eastern Brown
Ripley
North Adams
Lynchburg Clay
West Union

Div 2 -
Fairfield Leesburg
Peebles
Whiteoak
Fayetteville
Manchester

MVL:

Circleville
Logan Elm
Fairfield Union

ECOL:

Warren
Marietta

MSL

Sheridan
New Lexington
Crooksville

Independent :

Logan
Awful high on Fed Hock.
I took the time to highlight what you didn’t read in the original post.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Vike73 , as HamPorter highlighted - literally , I simply wanted to give everyone a listing of all of the teams in the SE District within the their leagues to give you a frame of reference ... they ARE NOT in ANY order as to how I would rank them within their league ... sorry for the confusion I was just sitting here at the computer coming up with the leagues and teams on the fly so to speak ... Fed Hock IS improved BUT my money is on Coach Howie and his Trimble Tomcats in the TVC Hocking if I were ranking them ...

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

SVC :

Unioto
Adena
Zane Trace
Piketon
Huntington
Paint Valley
Westfall
Southeastern

OVC:

Ironton
Chesapeake
Fairland
South Point
Rock Hill
Gallia Academy
Portsmouth
Coal Grove

SOC1

New Boston
East
Western
Green
Clay
Symmes Valley
Notre Dame

SOC2:

Wheelerburg
West
Valley
Minford
South Webster
Eastern Pike
Waverly
Northwest
Oak Hill

FAC:

Chillicothe
Greenfield McClain
Jackson
Hillsboro
Miami Trace
Washington CH

TVC Ohio

Alexander
Athens
Meigs
Vinton County
Nelsonville
Wellston
River Valley

TVC Hocking

Federal Hocking
South Gallia
Waterford
Trimble
Southern
Wahama
Belpre
Eastern Reedsville
Miller

SHAC:
Div 1 -
Eastern Brown
Ripley
North Adams
Lynchburg Clay
West Union

Div 2 -
Fairfield Leesburg
Peebles
Whiteoak
Fayetteville
Manchester

MVL:

Circleville
Logan Elm
Fairfield Union

ECOL:

Warren
Marietta

MSL

Sheridan
New Lexington
Crooksville

Independent :

Logan
Awful high on Fed Hock.
I’m guessing you know very little about what FH has coming back. Trimble has to be the favorite but Fed will be right there. I believe that’s the top 2 teams in the Hocking.

tigercat1
Varsity

Post by tigercat1 »

You are correct Pfloyd. This is the year that Ironton St. Joseph is supposed to join the SOC I as Eastern Pike goes to the SOC II.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

tigercat1 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:08 am You are correct Pfloyd. This is the year that Ironton St. Joseph is supposed to join the SOC I as Eastern Pike goes to the SOC II.
... thanks tigercat1 for verifying that for me ... I thought I was right but I'm old, I get things confused often LOL ...

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

JC2124 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:17 pm

SVC :

Unioto
Adena
Zane Trace
Piketon
Huntington
Paint Valley
Westfall
Southeastern

OVC:

Ironton
Chesapeake
Fairland
South Point
Rock Hill
Gallia Academy
Portsmouth
Coal Grove

SOC1

New Boston
East
Western
Green
Clay
Symmes Valley
Notre Dame

SOC2:

Wheelerburg
West
Valley
Minford
South Webster
Eastern Pike
Waverly
Northwest
Oak Hill

FAC:

Chillicothe
Greenfield McClain
Jackson
Hillsboro
Miami Trace
Washington CH

TVC Ohio

Alexander
Athens
Meigs
Vinton County
Nelsonville
Wellston
River Valley

TVC Hocking

Federal Hocking
South Gallia
Waterford
Trimble
Southern
Wahama
Belpre
Eastern Reedsville
Miller

SHAC:
Div 1 -
Eastern Brown
Ripley
North Adams
Lynchburg Clay
West Union

Div 2 -
Fairfield Leesburg
Peebles
Whiteoak
Fayetteville
Manchester

MVL:

Circleville
Logan Elm
Fairfield Union

ECOL:

Warren
Marietta

MSL

Sheridan
New Lexington
Crooksville

Independent :

Logan
Awful high on Fed Hock.
I’m guessing you know very little about what FH has coming back. Trimble has to be the favorite but Fed will be right there. I believe that’s the top 2 teams in the Hocking.
Should be the year the Lancers turn it around for sure. With Russell back, Smith, Jarvis, Carpenter, and the Lucas kid they have a nice 5. The big surprise was the growth of Lucas last year. Good size, good length and can rebound. They will get nice minutes from Douglas and Miller as well as Basim. They have a nice one two with Russell and Smith. CONSISTENCY will be the word for the season imo. Ill be looking at them from the Ohio side from time to time. Good group of kids.

Live Like A Champion!
burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

SVC :
Zane Trace

OVC:
Fairland

SOC1
New Boston

SOC2:

Wheelersburg (yes I’m biased)

FAC:

Chillicothe, although Jackson may be able to pull an upset

TVC Ohio
No clue

TVC Hocking
No idea but I’m gonna say Trimble

SHAC:
Ima put my money on North Adams, they return everyone

tigercat1
Varsity

Post by tigercat1 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:31 am
tigercat1 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:08 am You are correct Pfloyd. This is the year that Ironton St. Joseph is supposed to join the SOC I as Eastern Pike goes to the SOC II.
... thanks tigercat1 for verifying that for me ... I thought I was right but I'm old, I get things confused often LOL ...
You are welcome. Your knowledge of all of the SEO teams is amazing. Thanks for all you do. :D

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

burgfella69 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:14 pm SVC :
Zane Trace

OVC:
Fairland

SOC1
New Boston

SOC2:

FAC:

TVC Ohio
No clue

TVC Hocking

SHAC:

I like a few of the Jackson kids game and love their coach and where the program is heading and they beat the brakes off of us last year so please don’t take this the wrong way but, Jackson doesn’t have a prayer against Chillicothe.

I don’t think Chillicothe loses a game in the FAC this coming season. Don’t even think they’ll have a close game.

I also think the injury to Nesser (ZT) opens up the league a little more. Unioto and Adena will be right there.

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

mlittle wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:09 pm
burgfella69 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:14 pm SVC :
Zane Trace

OVC:
Fairland

SOC1
New Boston

SOC2:

FAC:

TVC Ohio
No clue

TVC Hocking

SHAC:

I like a few of the Jackson kids game and love their coach and where the program is heading and they beat the brakes off of us last year so please don’t take this the wrong way but, Jackson doesn’t have a prayer against Chillicothe.

I don’t think Chillicothe loses a game in the FAC this coming season. Don’t even think they’ll have a close game.

I also think the injury to Nesser (ZT) opens up the league a little more. Unioto and Adena will be right there.
was Nesser the taller thinner kid that played inside? If so what happened to him? really liked his game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”