SE DII Sectionals combined this year?

bman
SEO

Re: SE DII Sectionals combined this year?

Post by bman »

fortdawg wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:01 pm Enigmaxx if you are right then all they are doing is adding a lot of travel.
I would think that has to hurt attendance; at least by the higher seeds.
Parents will be reluctant to let their kids drive an hour and a half or more one way to watch a game and if it's viewed as a play in game they won't be inclined to go themselves.
If a kid is in an accident while making a two hour one way drive...there will be an outcry (rightfully so) to shorten the distances.

Killjoy is here. You'd be surprise how many accidents happen close to home.

This is a move in the right direction by the Southeast District.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

bman, no I wouldn't because common sense tells me most accidents will happen where you drive the most.
However, an accident on the way to school or the grocery store will be seen as unlucky.
An accident while driving 3 or 4 total hours will be seen as unnecessary.
I would also hazard to guess that most of the local driving has the teen and one other kid in the car.
A road trip to a sporting event this far away and you will have a car full.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

This is a good move. Being scared to drive is weak. Just don’t go

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

I like this move a lot actually

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

lots of pros to this, BUT.... the one con out weighs all the pros in my opinon. Only having 1 SE D2 team moving on to regionals is bad for the district as a whole.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

football life wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:36 am lots of pros to this, BUT.... the one con out weighs all the pros in my opinon. Only having 1 SE D2 team moving on to regionals is bad for the district as a whole.
That has nothing to do with this. SE District had two teams move down to D3, which cost us one representative to the D2 regional since we fell to 18 schools. Usually takes 19-20 schools to get two out to regional.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

fortdawg wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:49 am bman, no I wouldn't because common sense tells me most accidents will happen where you drive the most.
However, an accident on the way to school or the grocery store will be seen as unlucky.
An accident while driving 3 or 4 total hours will be seen as unnecessary.
I would also hazard to guess that most of the local driving has the teen and one other kid in the car.
A road trip to a sporting event this far away and you will have a car full.
The facts say otherwise.

The NHTSA reports that approximately 52 percent of all accidents occur within a five-mile radius of home and 69 percent of all car accidents occur within a ten-mile radius from home.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

You are arguing with yourself Big Boy.
I agreed that most accidents happen where you drive the most.
I also stand by my assertion that an accident that happens during a kid's normal driving routine will be viewed much differently than one that happened when they are returning from a sporting event that involves a 3 or 4 hour round trip.
Hopefully we will never find out which of us is right.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

If the two sectional tournament sites are centrally located (changed from where they are now), what it the furthest someone would have to travel? I doubt it will be 3 hours, maybe not even 2.
Take the furthest school east and furthest west, find the center and what is the driving time for both? I know it won’t work out perfectly that way but that gives us an idea.
What you would be good centrally located sites?

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

So if true that the Southeast District is going to Super Sectionals I think it is a good move. Its been mentioned that Neutral Sites will be maintained. Option 1 would probably have the District Board determine the sites based on travel of both schools. The issue with this is that say game 1 you win you may play at one site and the next game may be at the other site based on travel. Scouting could get difficult.
Option 2 would say that Bracket 1 and Bracket 4 would play at site A and Bracket 2 and Bracket 3 would play at site B. This option is one that I see happening.
Also the Southeast District tends to have the sectionals a few days earlier than most around the state. To cut down on the issue of traveling a bit on a school night- the Southeast District could arrange so most of the games are on Friday and Saturdays. Sundays have been used for the Districts in the last few years so maybe have some early round sectionals on Sunday afternoons may be an option.

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

bman wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:26 am
football life wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:36 am lots of pros to this, BUT.... the one con out weighs all the pros in my opinon. Only having 1 SE D2 team moving on to regionals is bad for the district as a whole.
That has nothing to do with this. SE District had two teams move down to D3, which cost us one representative to the D2 regional since we fell to 18 schools. Usually takes 19-20 schools to get two out to regional.
I am completely aware of why we lost a team to the regionals. Its still sucks for the district to loose a rep, which was my point. I am a bit confused on your "that has nothing to do with this" comment?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

football life wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:53 pm
bman wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:26 am
I am completely aware of why we lost a team to the regionals. Its still sucks for the district to loose a rep, which was my point. I am a bit confused on your "that has nothing to do with this" comment?
My bad. Thought you were blaming losing a regional rep on the new format.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

bsee12345 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:12 pm So if true that the Southeast District is going to Super Sectionals I think it is a good move. Its been mentioned that Neutral Sites will be maintained. Option 1 would probably have the District Board determine the sites based on travel of both schools. The issue with this is that say game 1 you win you may play at one site and the next game may be at the other site based on travel. Scouting could get difficult.
Option 2 would say that Bracket 1 and Bracket 4 would play at site A and Bracket 2 and Bracket 3 would play at site B. This option is one that I see happening.
Also the Southeast District tends to have the sectionals a few days earlier than most around the state. To cut down on the issue of traveling a bit on a school night- the Southeast District could arrange so most of the games are on Friday and Saturdays. Sundays have been used for the Districts in the last few years so maybe have some early round sectionals on Sunday afternoons may be an option.
I think the East District (and maybe all the other districts) do it something like this:

There is an Upper Bracket and Lower Bracket. All the sites are laid out before "the draw." To complete the bracket, the highest seed begins by placing themselves on a line. So they have first pick of site or day or whatever is most important to them. Everyone else follows suit in order of seeding. Until you get down to the last couple teams, if location is super important, you probably have a way out (might have to play a better team). Your sectional site would NOT be split because your original line site would take you through the Sectional finals.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

The other 2 divisions have at least 8 schools who get to the Convo. Why not let 8 D2 schools play there and have the sectional final round there?

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

mhs95_06 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:40 pm The other 2 divisions have at least 8 schools who get to the Convo. Why not let 8 D2 schools play there and have the sectional final round there?
To specifically answer this question is dates and times. People have to remember that OHIO University has their own events and teams going on. Getting the number of dates we currently do is a challenge and takes a great deal of cooperation on many levels and also puts a great strain on the Universities resources. Also, based on representation, the same level of schools get to play at the Convo in DII as III and IV based on representation.

Because representation is based on statewide numbers between all the Districts. In short, In DII (and DI), we do not have enough teams to warrant two DII District qualifiers this year. This has been the rule over the meats more than the exception in DII.

As for travel, in some Districts like the SE (Nw, NE) you cannot avoid travel. However this thread is an example of the old saying that you can not please everyone, not even some of the time.

WHSgrad2000
Riding the Bench

Post by WHSgrad2000 »

As far as the driving and accidents go I KNOW there were two accidents, maybe more, while kids were driving to a specific sectional site. I do not know of any fatalities in those cases, but needless to say that site no longer hosts sectional games.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Athens still got 2 regional teams.
Attachments
ACF76D00-A570-4050-BA64-4DFAB71E2316.png

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:19 am Athens still got 2 regional teams.
I think somebody said it was just a template earlier in the summer.

If anyone here knows, it is pol pot.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Boys Southeast Regional Tournament Reps
  • Division II: 1
  • Division III: 2
  • Division IV: 2

All Regional Reps
  • Division I: Combined Central and two Southeast schools (Chillicothe and Logan) 4; Combined Northeast and one East school (Dover) 6; Northwest 2, and Southwest 4;
  • Division II: Central 2; East 2; Northeast 5; Northwest 3; Southeast 1, and Southwest 3
  • Division III: Central 2; East 1; Northeast 4; Northwest 3; Southeast 2, and Southwest 4
  • Division IV: Central 2; East 1; Northeast 3; Northwest 5; Southeast 2, and Southwest 3.
Source: OHSAA BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES -- June 3, 2019

Post by Hawks1112 »

So what I have been hearing in D-4, for the East district if my Hawks can make it to the regionals,were headed back to the Canton regionals,I know the boys really like playing at O.U.,the only good thing about it, is the drive to Canton will be alot shorter

Return to “Boys Basketball”