Marshall University HS Shootout -- Friday (6/28)

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Marshall University HS Shootout -- Friday (6/28)

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Re: Marshall University HS Shootout -- Friday (6/28)

Post by victor creed »

Are all of these games in the same location. Is this the rec center? glass building across from football stadium or is this somewhere else.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Rec center is in corner of 5th Ave....kinda behind Fat Patty’s
Last edited by Ironman92 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Yep. I been there before. It was. The court names that was throwing me. Henderson and gullickson etc. thanks IM

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

TriStateYouthSports: Thanks for the info.......I plan on attending, and your map really helps.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Trojandave, most people are parking in the lot beside the football stadium. I parked there for the MU camp most of two days last week. I just walked back and forth from rec center to Henderson Center.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Resutls from the games that I saw.

Fairland 63 - 47 Cabell Midland (WV)
Parkerburg South (WV) 62 - 59 Ironton
Fairland 46 - 38 Ripley (WV)
Fairland 58 - 52 Blanchester

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson over Ironton and Mingo Co, down 17 to Logan and came back but couldn’t finish

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Wheelersburg didn’t play a daunting schedule by any means but they won every game by 30+

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth went 1-2 at Marshall, losing to Wyoming East 52-51, losing to Mingo Central 57-50, and then the Trojans beat Beth Haven 57-46. Overall for the summer PHS went 8-5, and lost 4 of 5 games by single digits with the exception of North Adams. Going forward, I see a Portsmouth team that is athletic, quick, and that plays very hard. Things they have to improve on are turnovers, rebounding, and finding a couple of consistent scorers to complement Matthew Fraulini.

I did see most of Jackson vs. Ironton, in which JHS won 34-32. Both teams impressed me, with good all around play. I don't know who Jackson was missing, but the Fighting Tigers Reid Carrico did not play, however was there supporting his teammates. The Ironmen/Tigers showed some good perimeter shooting, and both teams looked to have some good depth.

Comparing Portsmouth to Ironton/Jackson, I think that right now both teams would beat the Trojans, however, from what I saw, I absolutely don't think either team is quicker, more athletic, or plays harder than Portsmouth. The edge they have is that they have better ball skills, and that would be the difference if the Trojans played them. Going forward, I can see PHS being a very pesky team for about any favored team on their schedule, especially so if they can have a good night offensively.

I saw about half of a half of Wheelersburg vs. Beth Haven, and the Pirates have a different look to be sure. From the small sample size I witnessed, I think the Burg will be more oriented next season to post up 6-4 Truitt and 6-5 McCorkle down low, while Matthew Miller will be one of their main perimeter threats. The Pirates have a huge edge vs. Portsmouth in size, but are not more athletic than the Trojans.

I saw a little of Fairland, and the Dragons looked pretty similar to last year's team. If that holds true for the 2019-2020 season, then the Dragons will be the favorite to win the OVC. Didn't see South Point, but I know from what the Pointers have coming back that they are a serious challenger to FHS for the OVC title. Ironton, though, could be real contender, as I have a higher opinion of them after yesterday. My Trojans......well, let's wait and see.....much room for improvement.

Found out yesterday that Portsmouth will open the season at South Point, which will be a tough test right from the start. The Trojans may also end up playing 4 games in Florida instead of 3 due to a scheduling issue.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

From what I saw at Marshall the past couple of weeks. Fairland is the team to beat. Chesapeake will give everyone fits, you better be in shape to go four hard quarters. South Point and Ironton are average. Portsmouth has a long way to go. If anyone is scheduled to play Chapmanville or Huntington High good luck they are both very good, as is Poca.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

I watched all 3 of the pirates games They played Beth Haven in the first game and won 60-29. Played newcomerstown 2nd and won by 30+ as newcomerstown was not very good and just overmatched and then beat a solid Mingo Central team who had just beaten Portsmouth previously. I can’t remember the score but at one point it was 37-9 Burg As said previously. Truitt Miller and McCorkle are the 3 that drives burg however they have a large group of supporting cast that are very young but very skilled. They were missing their only senior who is 6’6” and will contribute some quality minutes throughout the year but they have another 5 juniors besides the big 3 who will see lots of minutes in Adkins Wilson Montgomery Jolly and Lawson. Plus a few more younger ones who can play. The freshman Sanderlin May be too good to keep off varsity. This will be a team that will only get better as the year goes on. They looked very good in transition with miller pushing the ball as all of them can run the floor and for a big man McCorkle runs the floor extremely well they played the best defense of the month against Mingo and really frustrated them. This will be a better team by year end than a lot of people realize

E High
All State

Post by E High »

We won’t know what’s going to happen until the middle of the season. There’s so many bad teams at these camps and shoot outs they it’s hard to figure out if you’re any good or not. Just the sign of the times 👍

Return to “Boys Basketball”