14%
Rock Hill
2%
South Point
5%

Total votes: 42

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

OVC 2019-20

Post by trojandave »

THE FOLLOWING POST WAS WRITTEN IN JUNE......THERE IS AN UPDATED POST BELOW.

The Ohio Valley Conference in 2019-2020 will have a different look in some aspects, with quite a few teams having graduated significant players, while others return quite a few.

Fairland should be the favorite going into the season, with the outstanding SO PG Porter leading the team. Even though the Dragons lost a couple of starters to graduation, they have a solid group coming back, with the pedigree of having won the title last season. FHS will be gunning for their 5th straight OVC title.

South Point could be the Dragons main challenger, especially with the transfer losses suffered by Chesapeake. Forward Austin Webb and PG Chase Gunther will give the Pointers a very good punch offensively, and several others return to give them a solid starting unit.

Chesapeake probably got hurt more than anyone with transfers out, losing a very good post player in Eli Archer and starter Tylan Hutchinson. Still, the Panthers have enough left on their roster to be very competitive. The key player losses, though, will make it really tough for CHS to win the conference.

Coal Grove also lost significant players, most notably outstanding PG Aaron Music, who may have been the best all around player in the OVC last season. Corey Borders returns for the Hornets, and his perimeter prowess will make him one of the better shooters in the conference. The Hornets seem to always find a way to be in the top half of the OVC.

Gallia Academy lost 4 starters to graduation, but based on seeing their JV team last season, the Blue Devils will put a respectable squad on the court. GAHS will have to pull off some surprises to move out of the middle of the pack.

Ironton lost most of the scoring from last season, in the form of SG Charlie Large (19 PPG) and PG Ethan Wilson. Also lost starter Ahren Barnes. New coach PJ Fitch will inherit a Fighting Tiger squad that will have to find enough offense to be considered a contender in 2019-2020. JR Reid Carrico gives IHS one of the best post players in the conference.

Portsmouth lost starters Myquel McKinley and Danny Lattimore, with the end result being that the Trojans could field the youngest starting 5 in the conference. Sophomores Amare Johnson and Daryionne Bryant could be the frontrunners to fill those 2 spots. SR guard Matthew Fraulini is one of the best players in all the SE district, and JR Miles Shipp and SO Drew Roe will return with a year of starting experience.

Rock Hill lost its PG and post player, but this is one year that the Redmen have a good chance to move up in the OVC standings. RHHS is another team that will be offensively challenged, and if they can find enough scoring, could change the fortunes of the program.

Overall, I think the conference won't be as strong as last season, but since it is June it is too early to call that a fact. The early storyline will be......can anyone dethrone Fairland and their conference dynasty? Who will be the main challengers? Who will surprise and who will disappoint? Whatever the answers, it should be another fun season of hoops in the OVC.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Re: Very Early Look at the OVC in 2019-2020

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Last edited by Tri-StateYouthSports on Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

The Ohio Valley Conference Race in 2019-2020

Post by trojandave »

TriStateYouthSports: Thanks for the 2019-2020 roster information. As I mentioned in my post, quite a few teams lost several starters which you highlighted in gray or crossed out. I corrected Corey Borders name as you included it in your info. I originally called him Casey Borders.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

OVC Previews (Nov-22-2019)

Poll - Who will win the OVC

Vote:

Re: OVC Previews (Nov-22-2019)

Post by TigerMania »

Hard to believe we are already talking basketball?
Excited to see what new Ironton coach does. Who are his assistants?
Go Tigers

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Here is what i have for what each OVC team lost to graduation and what I'm aware of as returners.

Post by trojandave »

Good info, TriStateYouthSports........just to add a few to the 2023 class of Portsmouth, along with Reid Pendleton.......Tyler Duncan, Nolan Hyland, and Bo Hammond.......all will be playing on the JV team since the Trojans will not have a freshmen team this season.

trojandave
SEOP

Re: Poll - Who will win the OVC

Post by trojandave »

I have Fairland winning the conference, with South Point and Ironton giving the Dragons a serious run for the title.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Very Early Look at the OVC in 2019-2020

Post by pfloyd »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:00 pm Image
... great information TSYS !!! ...

trojandave
SEOP

The Ohio Valley Conference Race in 2019-2020

Post by trojandave »

I bumped this topic that I started earlier this year to go with the poll by TriStateYouthSports.

I wasn't high on Ironton after last season, but after watching them this summer, I have the Fighting Tigers under first year coach PJ Fitch as a serious contender to preseason favorite Fairland.

As far as the above info on the other teams, I'm sticking to my original post, as I haven't heard of any other major changes. My OVC predictions for how the teams will finish, with conference record (14 games):

1.Fairland.............10-4
2.(tie)South Point....9-5
2.(tie)Ironton.........9-5
4.(tie)Portsmouth....7-7
4.(tie)Chesapeake...7-7
6.Gallia Academy....6-8
7.Coal Grove........5-9
8.Rock Hill...........4-10

Fairland is the 4 time defending OVC champion, and last year posted a 13-1 conference record with the only loss at South Point.

I have predicted several ties because I think the conference will be very competitive and the title may not be decided until the final week.

OVC Coaches with Final 4 appearances on their resume: Eugene Collins (Portsmouth--2011, 2012, both while in the SEOAL), Ryan Davis (Chesapeake--2010), Nathan Speed (Fairland--2017)......Kevin Vanderhoof of Coal Grove has led the Hornets to the regional semifinals in 2018 and 2019.

Some other fearless predictions:

I think Portsmouth, Chesapeake, and Gallia Academy could trade places, and Coal Grove could move up to the middle of the pack. Rock Hill should be improved, as I have them with 4 wins, but the Redmen face a tough battle to move up in this conference.

I'll go with Matthew Fraulini of Portsmouth, Chance Gunther of South Point, Corey Borders of Coal Grove, and Aiden Porter of Fairland to battle for top scoring honors in the conference. Reid Carrico of Ironton and Miles Shipp of Portsmouth could be the top 2 rebounders.

Portsmouth (3-11 last season in OVC play) and South Point could end up being the most improved teams in the conference. The Trojans could possibly squeeze into the top 3, or could fall as far as 6th. PHS and Chesapeake are probably the most difficult teams to forecast.

No one will go undefeated at home. Fairland probably has the best chance to do so.

The OVC will put 1 team in the D3 regionals, and quite possibly 4 in the district.

GO OVC!! Another fun season of hoops awaits!!

Rexdog
Waterboy

Post by Rexdog »

South Point

TigerFan19
Waterboy

Post by TigerFan19 »

Won't let me vote.

Fairland by far.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Less than 2 weeks away.

portsmouth_98
All State

Re: The Ohio Valley Conference Race in 2019-2020

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Should be a good season, hopefully I can make a few games this year as I didn't get to see any due to working evenings the last 2 years.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

For as down as the league was in football (minus Ironton who was/is great), this league shapes up to be one of the better basketball conferences in SE Ohio.

Question for TriState... I see a lot of guys marked off Chesapeake that didn't graduate. I know Archer went to Huntington High, Hutchinson to Huntington St. Joe.... What about Logan Walsh and Zander Schmidt? Are they just not playing or did they also leave?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 am For as down as the league was in football (minus Ironton who was/is great), this league shapes up to be one of the better basketball conferences in SE Ohio.

Question for TriState... I see a lot of guys marked off Chesapeake that didn't graduate. I know Archer went to Huntington High, Hutchinson to Huntington St. Joe.... What about Logan Walsh and Zander Schmidt? Are they just not playing or did they also leave?

bbjunky81
looks like Zander Schmidt is now on the Fairland roster ... didn't see Logan Walsh on any of the other OVC rosters as Tri-StateYouthSports has posted above ...

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 am For as down as the league was in football (minus Ironton who was/is great), this league shapes up to be one of the better basketball conferences in SE Ohio.

Walsh transferred to Symmes Valley, I believe.

Post by bbjunky81 »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:56 am

Walsh transferred to Symmes Valley, I believe.
I've also heard their best freshman enrolled at Ironton a few weeks back, but I'm not sure if that one's true or not.

One or two kids leaving happens, but when 4-5 leave we start to see a trend. Any idea what's going on in Chesapeake land? It's a great program with lots of basketball tradition, hate to see kids leaving so quickly.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Logan Walsh and his brother went back to Symmes Valley. They were from there originally.
As far as a freshmen transfering I do not know.
There is no trend, I know reasons but I wont say on here.
The Peake may surprises people this year, the six that show on here played a significant amount of playing time last year.
What I see with some kids is that the parents think they know more than the coach, playing time, they are the next all star, my kid is so good he doesn't have to condition as hard as everybody else does.
Ryan Davis is one heck of a coach and teaches fundamentals and he tries to get the kids ready for after basketball.

Return to “Boys Basketball”