Ironton boys basketball job?

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Ironton boys basketball job?

Post by GalliaTribe »

Okay we know norm did not put in for it, but the word was they were going to hire a coach at their BOE meeting the other night down there. Any news about this job? Does anyone with some experience want it? If not that’s a shame because Ironton has had some good players in the past.

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Re: Ironton boys basketball job?

Post by Bobevans »

I heard from another coach that PJ Fitch could be the front runner. Hes from Western. The McKnight boy is in the running also. It wouldnt shock me if he gets it. Just depends if they hire the best coach or go with politics

2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Post by 2quick2catch »

Bobevans wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:34 pm I heard from another coach that PJ Fitch could be the front runner. Hes from Western. The McKnight boy is in the running also. It wouldnt shock me if he gets it. Just depends if they hire the best coach or go with politics
McKnight is the better fit at Ironton.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

These might be good hires, but it’s kinda of sad some very good programs don’t get top guys to apply for these jobs. Just kinda of rolling the dice. Good luck to All !

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

I would tread lightly on the "top guys" comment. Who in all reality is a top guy? Someone who's stock is relatively high at the moment? So much of resumes and records is perception more so than the reality behind them. Fitch is a good coach and has had success at both stops, Western being in D3 presented a challenge in the post-season. McKnight is a very good young coach, and had much success both regular and post season while being girls coach at Albany Alexander, on top of that he is an Ironton Fighting Tiger himself. I would argue that Ironton's ceiling in the long term is higher with the McKnight hire as he will only get better as he continues to grow, and I do not see a job around that would lure him from Ironton at any time down the road.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

N2Hoops wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:20 am I would tread lightly on the "top guys" comment. Who in all reality is a top guy? Someone who's stock is relatively high at the moment? So much of resumes and records is perception more so than the reality behind them. Fitch is a good coach and has had success at both stops, Western being in D3 presented a challenge in the post-season. McKnight is a very good young coach, and had much success both regular and post season while being girls coach at Albany Alexander, on top of that he is an Ironton Fighting Tiger himself. I would argue that Ironton's ceiling in the long term is higher with the McKnight hire as he will only get better as he continues to grow, and I do not see a job around that would lure him from Ironton at any time down the road.
High School basketball is not college basketball. Just need a guy that can run a program. Who cares if he's considered top tier?

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

Bobevans wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:34 pm I heard from another coach that PJ Fitch could be the front runner. Hes from Western. The McKnight boy is in the running also. It wouldnt shock me if he gets it. Just depends if they hire the best coach or go with politics
Wow PJ Fitch put in for this job? That would be an awesome hire for Ironton, but I believe bob Evans has it right they will go with the less qualified McKnight kid because he is from Ironton and coached with Lafon. I wonder is Ironton is letting Lafon recommend for this job because I could see that in a way be a conflict of interest too. Being a Gallia guy I hope they pick the less qualified in McKnight but I will admit Fitch is a no brainer when it comes to hiring the right person!

BobcatFuture1
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatFuture1 »

GalliaTribe wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:37 am
Wow PJ Fitch put in for this job? That would be an awesome hire for Ironton, but I believe bob Evans has it right they will go with the less qualified McKnight kid because he is from Ironton and coached with Lafon. I wonder is Ironton is letting Lafon recommend for this job because I could see that in a way be a conflict of interest too. Being a Gallia guy I hope they pick the less qualified in McKnight but I will admit Fitch is a no brainer when it comes to hiring the right person!
What makes him a no brainer at Ironton?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Other than Fitch and McKnight, anybody got any other names that have applied?*

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

BobcatFuture1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:44 am
GalliaTribe wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:37 am
What makes him a no brainer at Ironton?
Why wouldn’t he be a no brainer there bobcat?
I think you know why he would be a no brainer it’s not rocket science!

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Post by Truth Serum »

I am shocked that Fitch applied for this job . But if he did, unless Persin, barrick , combs , Stiverson , Maddox , or some other 300+ game winner applied , I’m not sure who would have applied that would be better applicant or had more success over time ? I’ve had family play for him and watched his eastern teams have a lot of success in conference and tourney play . I can remember a district title won and I’m pretty sure they made the elite 8 in 2011 or 2012?f. How many local coaches have went beyond the elite 8? I’m sure that’s a very short list .

Fitch is an excellent coach . Just ask PFloyd... lol

I am sure McKnight would also be a good choice and with his ties to Ironton and Lafon , he would certainly make sense also.

Best of luck to the Tigers.

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

Its a no brainer for Ironton to hire Fitch becausr he is hands doen the brst qualified coach that has applied. As gar as what N2Hoops said you definitely have to run a program but there is a lot more involved that just that. Game adjustments, selling your kids on what you want them to do and yhe roles they need to accept for the bettermrnt of the team. A veteran or a higher tier coach has been therr and done that. Thats why with other reasons that Fitch should get the job

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

I heard Barrick interviewed earlier this week. Don't know if that is true but source is usually spot on.

BobcatFuture1
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatFuture1 »

Bobevans wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:53 am Its a no brainer for Ironton to hire Fitch becausr he is hands doen the brst qualified coach that has applied. As gar as what N2Hoops said you definitely have to run a program but there is a lot more involved that just that. Game adjustments, selling your kids on what you want them to do and yhe roles they need to accept for the bettermrnt of the team. A veteran or a higher tier coach has been therr and done that. Thats why with other reasons that Fitch should get the job
That still doesn’t prove Fitch is the best FIT for IRONTON. This isn’t a resume or notebook contest.

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

BobcatFuture1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:15 pm
Bobevans wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:53 am Its a no brainer for Ironton to hire Fitch becausr he is hands doen the brst qualified coach that has applied. As gar as what N2Hoops said you definitely have to run a program but there is a lot more involved that just that. Game adjustments, selling your kids on what you want them to do and yhe roles they need to accept for the bettermrnt of the team. A veteran or a higher tier coach has been therr and done that. Thats why with other reasons that Fitch should get the job
That still doesn’t prove Fitch is the best FIT for IRONTON. This isn’t a resume or notebook contest.
I agree 100% with bob Evans. What more do you need bobcat? Why don’t you tell us who deserves this job and why???

Fan1234
Waterboy

Post by Fan1234 »

Galliatribe, for you to be from Gallia, you sure seem to have an obsession for Ironton.

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

Fan1234 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:31 am Galliatribe, for you to be from Gallia, you sure seem to have an obsession for Ironton.
😂
That’s funny! I thought there is a thing called freedom of speech in this country and that I can post on any topic that I would like to on this site like everyone else. I’m Guessing your from Ironton and think you can run me off this post.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

GalliaTribe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:03 am
Fan1234 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:31 am Galliatribe, for you to be from Gallia, you sure seem to have an obsession for Ironton.
😂
That’s funny! I thought there is a thing called freedom of speech in this country and that I can post on any topic that I would like to on this site like everyone else. I’m Guessing your from Ironton and think you can run me off this post.
This is peak internet posting.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Firebreather wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:10 pm I heard Barrick interviewed earlier this week. Don't know if that is true but source is usually spot on.
Eastern Pike lost quite a bit this past year. Ironton could do a lot worse than Tom Barrick if he is really interested.

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

I just heard Barrick resigned at Eastern.

Return to “Boys Basketball”