Lynchburg-Clay Boys Varsity Basketball Shootout

LCBasketball
Waterboy

Lynchburg-Clay Boys Varsity Basketball Shootout

Post by LCBasketball »

Lynchburg-Clay will be hosting its first annual boys varsity basketball shootout on Wednesday, June 5, 2019. We already have 12 teams committed and we could go to 16; I'm waiting to hear back from a few teams. If you are interested or know someone who is please have them e-mail me at matt.carson@lclsd.org and I can put them on a waiting list on a first come first serve basis. Teams committed so far...

Peebles
Georgetown
Huntington
Unioto
Washington
Circleville
Blanchester
Fairfield Leesburg
Fayetteville
North Adams
Whiteoak
Lynchburg-Clay

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Lynchburg-Clay Boys Varsity Basketball Shootout

Post by mattash »

sweet, tons of shoot outs

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
LCBasketball
Waterboy

Post by LCBasketball »

Added Manchester and New Boston...still searching for two more

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

LCBasketball wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:10 am Added Manchester and New Boston...still searching for two more
... what time does the first games tip off ?

LCBasketball
Waterboy

Post by LCBasketball »

Floyd the games will start around 9:30 or 10:00 AM and probably run until 2:00-3:00 PM. I added Paint Valley to the field today so just need one more team. Once shootout is set I will post the schedule on here. We would love to have you attend if you’re able!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

LCBasketball wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:29 pm Floyd the games will start around 9:30 or 10:00 AM and probably run until 2:00-3:00 PM. I added Paint Valley to the field today so just need one more team. Once shootout is set I will post the schedule on here. We would love to have you attend if you’re able!
When I saw the date was in the middle of the week - that was perfect ! school will be out here in Logan, the BIG Portsmouth Shootout is the following weekend AND I'm making a concerted effort on my part to KNOW what the SHAC has to offer BEFORE the 2019-20 season ... I penciled the LC Shootout in on my Pfloyd June Hoops Tour ... hope to see, meet up with you on the 5th !

LCBasketball
Waterboy

Post by LCBasketball »

The shootout field is set. We are looking forward to a great day of basketball. The first two matchups in each time slot will be played at the high school on a split court. The third matchup in each time slot will be played at the middle school gym. Both gym floors have received new designs within the last year and we are looking forward to hosting the teams listed below.

9:00 Lynchburg-Clay v. Paint Valley, Georgetown v. Fayetteville, Wash CH v. Fairfield

10:00 Lynchburg-Clay v. Georgeotwn, Paint Valley v. Fayetteville, NA v. Blanchester

11:00 Whiteoak v. Huntington, Wash CH v. Blanchester, Western v. Manchester

12:00 Lynchburg-Clay v. Fayetteville, Georgetown v. Paint Valley, NA v. Fairfield

1:00 New Boston v. Peebles, Blanchester v. Fairfield, Ripley v. Ironton

2:00 Western v. Huntington, Whiteoak v. Manchester, NA v. Wash CH

3:00 Peebles v. Ironton , New Boston v. Ripley , Manchester v. Huntington

4:00 Peebles v. Ripley , New Boston v. Ironton , Whiteoak v. Western

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

pfloyd made the 2 hour 9 minute trip to the Lynchburg Clay Shootout today ... Coach Carson did a great job of getting all of the games played on time all day - not an easy task when games were run in 2 different locations with teams traveling between venues - nice job Coach Carson ! ... I had told Coach Carson when he posted the Shootout date that I was going to make a concerted effort to SEE the SHAC teams this coming season so I can evaluate these fine teams more fairly - as Logan is so far from most of the schools in the SHAC it makes it very difficult to see the SHAC teams during the season during week nights ... I keep up with all of the teams via computer, newspaper, posters from the SHAC, the coaches in the SHAC or other conferences who play the SHAC teams ... I usually don't see the SHAC teams until the post season or if they play in the Tip Off tourneys or holiday tourneys ... anyway I told Coach C that I wanted to get down to see TODAY'S shootout - long drive but pfloyd made it to and from ... well worth the drive ... many of the teams were not at full strength BUT watching the teams gave me a lot of insight into supporting what I already knew based on what each team had coming back from last season ... got to meet some more of the fine coaches in the SEOhio , some for the first time - all I already great respect for from seeing their teams at the Convo or from my perch in the Cheap Seats during the season ... was a pleasure to meet Coach PJ Fitch - Ironton/Coach McKnight Ironton ... Coach Carson - Lynchburg Clay ... Coach Josh Arey - Peebles ... Coach Snyder Huntington Ross ... Coach Connor Scott - Washington CH ... Coach Adam Cox - New Boston ... Coach Adams - Ripley... what a great group of coaches - all are so knowledgeable of the game , more than willing to talk about their teams and other teams in the league ... my kind of day! watching hoops and talking hoops with the men who work court side in SEOhio ...

Coach Carson ! thanks for being a great host ! - introducing me to some of your fellow coaches ! - greatly appreciated that ... as I said many teams were missing key pieces to their teams - players on vacations, working etc. BUT I learn a lot watching these games ! I totally enjoy watching/listening to the coaches court side "teaching" during the games ,THAT in itself tells me so much ... all of the coaches I met do it right - they are all teaching the game for the entirety of each of the games ... I don't look for players to be in mid-season form shooting the ball BUT the PLAYERS definitely stand out ... coaches pointed out the "new faces" who will be contributing this upcoming season ... my overall impression is the SHAC is an outstanding league - I know THAT isn't new - THIS SEASON the SHAC will be very very competitive across the board ... North Adams is the real deal - one of my favorite players that I WILL BE watching for his napkin stat line each night is Austin McCormick (6-4) - he got MY attention at the Convo in the North Adams vs Wheelersburg game ... seeing Austin Mc today only solidified him as one of the best post players Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... great footwork, aggressive on the boards , can score the ball in the paint ... one of the coaches said Austin Mc is on everyone's short list for the SHAC MVP ... Peebles is loaded, very deep , have length, scorers, good perimeter play from the guard position Coach Arey's boys will be a handful ... Whiteoak was probably the quickest overall team I saw today - excellent group of athletes, quick hands & feet, DEFENSE - they can spell it and play it ! outstanding D ... Lynchburg Clay - Coach Carson has a solid group of youngsters ... the TEAM has been taught well as they KNOW how to play the game - they're in the right spots on the floor, they play D, good size, TEAM gets on the boards ... just talking to Coach Carson the TEAM has some realistic goals, are working hard on the court to work towards those goals - I "ain't" betting against those kids ... Blanchester has 2-3 players who play above the rim, quick off the floor, and will hurt you inside on the boards - nice TEAM ... I didn't get to see Fairfield Leesburg BUT the other coaches said they are a very good team for next season, Fayetteville - excellent group of athletes, quickness defensively ... didn't see Georgetown or Manchester play , Ripley is young/inexperienced this season as they lost a lot of horses from last season's 18-5 team ... I was impressed with Coach Adams when we talked between games - he's a teacher of the game ... good head on his shoulders - he'll bring the youngsters along throughout the season ... the non-SHAC teams today ... Huntington is young, Western is young - but has some players still , Washington CH - Coach Scott lost everyone off the starting 5 ... he will be rebuilding - he has a physically strong looking group of players ... the Lions lack varsity experience ... Coach Scott is one of the best "teachers of the game/motivators of players" out there ... CH will come along as the season progresses ... the summer experience will be BIG for this group ... New Boston - Kyle Sexton 6-5 jr IS one of the best in SEOhio right now - outstanding perimeter scorer, has to be an inside presence offensively for the Tigers though (at times) ... handles the ball well on the perimeter ... Coach Cox needs to have his other players BE the scorers that they ARE Grady Jackson/Marcus Saunders/Jerome McKinley HAVE TO BE threats to score - they CAN/DO score BUT they have to take on NEW roles this year as "go to guys" - they have to keep defenses honest / so they can't double on Sexton ... all of these players can get into the paint ... they have to finish either at the rim or on the perimeter - the Tigers will be a very dangerous team again in 2019-20 ... right now the Tigers have no bench - 5 players who have to play 32 minutes per game ... this summer will be important to getting a couple of players to step into the roles of being able to play D, not turn it over, be able to find the scorers for NB ... as I said the Tigers have 5 solid starters - have to find 2 more players ... Peebles beat NB today on a last second perimeter shot 51-48 with time running out - excellent game between these 2 heavyweights in Southern Ohio ... Ironton ... Coach Fitch said he was missing 6 of his top 8 players ... I was impressed with the players IHS had on the floor ! when I watched the Tigers the word "disciplined" came to mind ... excellent ball movement, physically strong with the ball, DEFENSE ... Coach Fitch will have a good, fundamentally sound product that he will put on the court in I'town this season ...

... a good day of hoops ... thanks again Coach Carson & the coaches from the SHAC for the time spent in the "cheap seats - lower level" today ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Even though it's early and in the summer, that's a very good rundown on most of the teams Pfloyd.

LCBasketball
Waterboy

Post by LCBasketball »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:53 pm pfloyd made the 2 hour 9 minute trip to the Lynchburg Clay Shootout today ... Coach Carson did a great job of getting all of the games played on time all day - not an easy task when games were run in 2 different locations with teams traveling between venues - nice job Coach Carson ! ... I had told Coach Carson when he posted the Shootout date that I was going to make a concerted effort to SEE the SHAC teams this coming season so I can evaluate these fine teams more fairly - as Logan is so far from most of the schools in the SHAC it makes it very difficult to see the SHAC teams during the season during week nights ... I keep up with all of the teams via computer, newspaper, posters from the SHAC, the coaches in the SHAC or other conferences who play the SHAC teams ... I usually don't see the SHAC teams until the post season or if they play in the Tip Off tourneys or holiday tourneys ... anyway I told Coach C that I wanted to get down to see TODAY'S shootout - long drive but pfloyd made it to and from ... well worth the drive ... many of the teams were not at full strength BUT watching the teams gave me a lot of insight into supporting what I already knew based on what each team had coming back from last season ... got to meet some more of the fine coaches in the SEOhio , some for the first time - all I already great respect for from seeing their teams at the Convo or from my perch in the Cheap Seats during the season ... was a pleasure to meet Coach PJ Fitch - Ironton/Coach McKnight Ironton ... Coach Carson - Lynchburg Clay ... Coach Josh Ayer - Peebles ... Coach Snyder Huntington Ross ... Coach Connor Scott - Washington CH ... Coach Adam Cox - New Boston ... Coach Adams - Ripley... what a great group of coaches - all are so knowledgeable of the game , more than willing to talk about their teams and other teams in the league ... my kind of day! watching hoops and talking hoops with the men who work court side in SEOhio ...

Coach Carson ! thanks for being a great host ! - introducing me to some of your fellow coaches ! - greatly appreciated that ... as I said many teams were missing key pieces to their teams - players on vacations, working etc. BUT I learn a lot watching these games ! I totally enjoy watching/listening to the coaches court side "teaching" during the games ,THAT in itself tells me so much ... all of the coaches I met do it right - they are all teaching the game for the entirety of each of the games ... I don't look for players to be in mid-season form shooting the ball BUT the PLAYERS definitely stand out ... coaches pointed out the "new faces" who will be contributing this upcoming season ... my overall impression is the SHAC is an outstanding league - I know THAT isn't new - THIS SEASON the SHAC will be very very competitive across the board ... North Adams is the real deal - one of my favorite players that I WILL BE watching for his napkin stat line each night is Austin McCormick (6-4) - he got MY attention at the Convo in the North Adams vs Wheelersburg game ... seeing Austin Mc today only solidified him as one of the best post players Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... great footwork, aggressive on the boards , can score the ball in the paint ... one of the coaches said Austin Mc is on everyone's short list for the SHAC MVP ... Peebles is loaded, very deep , have length, scorers, good perimeter play from the guard position Coach Arey's boys will be a handful ... Whiteoak was probably the quickest overall team I saw today - excellent group of athletes, quick hands & feet, DEFENSE - they can spell it and play it ! outstanding D ... Lynchburg Clay - Coach Carson has a solid group of youngsters ... the TEAM has been taught well as they KNOW how to play the game - they're in the right spots on the floor, they play D, good size, TEAM gets on the boards ... just talking to Coach Carson the TEAM has some realistic goals, are working hard on the court to work towards those goals - I "ain't" betting against those kids ... Blanchester has 2-3 players who play above the rim, quick off the floor, and will hurt you inside on the boards - nice TEAM ... I didn't get to see Fairfield Leesburg BUT the other coaches said they are a very good team for next season, Fayetteville - excellent group of athletes, quickness defensively ... didn't see Georgetown or Manchester play , Ripley is young/inexperienced this season as they lost a lot of horses from last season's 18-5 team ... I was impressed with Coach Adams when we talked between games - he's a teacher of the game ... good head on his shoulders - he'll bring the youngsters along throughout the season ... the non-SHAC teams today ... Huntington is young, Western is young - but has some players still , Washington CH - Coach Scott lost everyone off the starting 5 ... he will be rebuilding - he has a physically strong looking group of players ... the Lions lack varsity experience ... Coach Scott is one of the best "teachers of the game/motivators of players" out there ... CH will come along as the season progresses ... the summer experience will be BIG for this group ... New Boston - Kyle Sexton 6-5 jr IS one of the best in SEOhio right now - outstanding perimeter scorer, has to be an inside presence offensively for the Tigers though (at times) ... handles the ball well on the perimeter ... Coach Cox needs to have his other players BE the scorers that they ARE Grady Jackson/Marcus Saunders/Jerome McKinley HAVE TO BE threats to score - they CAN/DO score BUT they have to take on NEW roles this year as "go to guys" - they have to keep defenses honest / so they can't double on Sexton ... all of these players can get into the paint ... they have to finish either at the rim or on the perimeter - the Tigers will be a very dangerous team again in 2019-20 ... right now the Tigers have no bench - 5 players who have to play 32 minutes per game ... this summer will be important to getting a couple of players to step into the roles of being able to play D, not turn it over, be able to find the scorers for NB ... as I said the Tigers have 5 solid starters - have to find 2 more players ... Peebles beat NB today on a last second perimeter shot 51-48 with time running out - excellent game between these 2 heavyweights in Southern Ohio ... Ironton ... Coach Fitch said he was missing 6 of his top 8 players ... I was impressed with the players IHS had on the floor ! when I watched the Tigers the word "disciplined" came to mind ... excellent ball movement, physically strong with the ball, DEFENSE ... Coach Fitch will have a good, fundamentally sound product that he will put on the court in I'town this season ...

... a good day of hoops ... thanks again Coach Carson & the coaches from the SHAC for the time spent in the "cheap seats - lower level" today ...

PFloyd thanks so much for coming to the shootout. It was great to get to talk with you about basketball and life in general! I appreciate the compliments: this thing took A LOT of people to make possible. Our AD, Mark Faust and Assistant AD Michelle Truman both pitched in and helped all day. Mark ran the middle school for me and Michelle was at the HS helping while I coached. Our janitorial staff helped tape down the floor at 7:45 AM, along with my assistant coach Todd Faust. We also had two former mustang players running the clocks for us in the gym and our clock guy during the season taking time out of his day to run it at the high school. Our athletic boosters had concessions set up at both sites and sold a lot of Terry’s Pizza (BTW, next time you come back a slice of that is on the house, you won’t regret it!). My right hand man Will Fawley helping out coaching during the day, and my players are great. They are some great kids who are, more importantly than their skills, just overall great people who come from great families. After the event was over, Coach Arey and his Peebles players and coaches and fans from other schools, along with Ironton and Coach Fitch helped get some trash and get the tape. The fans, players, coaches and everyone were great all day. I appreciate our officials for putting in long hours as well. Lynchburg- Clay, as I told you when we were talking, is a special place to be. People step up and help you when things are needed and I had a ton of people offer to help out. We were very fortunate to have so many great teams there Wednesday. Thanks again for the run down and for coming and God bless you!

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:53 pm pfloyd made the 2 hour 9 minute trip to the Lynchburg Clay Shootout today ... Coach Carson did a great job of getting all of the games played on time all day - not an easy task when games were run in 2 different locations with teams traveling between venues - nice job Coach Carson ! ... I had told Coach Carson when he posted the Shootout date that I was going to make a concerted effort to SEE the SHAC teams this coming season so I can evaluate these fine teams more fairly - as Logan is so far from most of the schools in the SHAC it makes it very difficult to see the SHAC teams during the season during week nights ... I keep up with all of the teams via computer, newspaper, posters from the SHAC, the coaches in the SHAC or other conferences who play the SHAC teams ... I usually don't see the SHAC teams until the post season or if they play in the Tip Off tourneys or holiday tourneys ... anyway I told Coach C that I wanted to get down to see TODAY'S shootout - long drive but pfloyd made it to and from ... well worth the drive ... many of the teams were not at full strength BUT watching the teams gave me a lot of insight into supporting what I already knew based on what each team had coming back from last season ... got to meet some more of the fine coaches in the SEOhio , some for the first time - all I already great respect for from seeing their teams at the Convo or from my perch in the Cheap Seats during the season ... was a pleasure to meet Coach PJ Fitch - Ironton/Coach McKnight Ironton ... Coach Carson - Lynchburg Clay ... Coach Josh Arey - Peebles ... Coach Snyder Huntington Ross ... Coach Connor Scott - Washington CH ... Coach Adam Cox - New Boston ... Coach Adams - Ripley... what a great group of coaches - all are so knowledgeable of the game , more than willing to talk about their teams and other teams in the league ... my kind of day! watching hoops and talking hoops with the men who work court side in SEOhio ...

Great run down. I know Peebles has a couple of injured players right now several of the Shac teams had awesome reserves last year including Ripley and FF. I look to see each school beating on one and other and no undefeated teams coming out of the league. North Adams could be very tough. Many teams will be Tournament ready by next March.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

My Indians are healthy now,and seem to be hungry for the upcoming season. Coach Arey is excited about this squad. Great mix of Seniors and Juniors and a few youngsters. Probably the deepest team we've had for years let the games begin.

Return to “Boys Basketball”