Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Pre Season 2019-20 ...

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Pre Season 2019-20 ...

Post by mattash »

Miller has to 5 SEO score back. Should win some TVC games. Don't hate on the list , took all summer to put together.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... probably find most of them on ArbiterLive (at least partial schedules yet to be completed) ... The Northwests of SEOhio have to just win - show me what they have early so they get pushed up the rankings where they deserve to be ... but it comes down to "just win" & things take care of themselves ... St. Joseph was a tough one - will be interesting to see how they handle an SOC schedule in their first year - would not be surprised at the Flyers moving up the rankings early in the regular season ( correct me if I am wrong/but I was thinking that St. Joseph had a player sit out the 2nd half of the season due to the transfer rule? he will be there all season and should make a difference - please correct if my thinking on that is wrong) ...

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

flip flop New Boston and Peebles and unioto and Logan and the top 20 ain’t too bad

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Glad to see Meigs make the top 20. We could surprise some people!

Live Like A Champion!
CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Chillicothe is going to be very good this year.
Wish we were D2!!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Pfloyd: A few notes about some teams I saw this summer:

I saw North Adams demolish my Trojans, and they are very good. Really good starting 5, size to go with it, and depth off the bench. Of course summer ball is not necessarily a true indicator of a team, but in the case of the Green Devils, what I witnessed was probably what will happen come December. I would be very surprised if NA doesn't make the D3 regionals, but they may have to get by Zane Trace along the way. The only flaw I think they have is that they are not that quick overall, and that could hurt them if they meet up with a Central District team in the Sweet 16. #2 is not too high for them.

Ironton is going to be much better than what I had thought, even with the loss of Charlie Large and Ethan Wilson. I saw them play Jackson at the Marshall Shootout, and they played the Ironmen right down to the wire. Good starting 5, decent size, and have some excellent perimeter shooters.

Jackson should be really good, but unfortunately for the Ironmen they are in the FAC with Chillicothe. I don't think they're as good as the Cavaliers but should finish no worse than 2nd in the conference. JHS is another team with a good all around starting 5. Jackson should be a contender for the D2 regional.

Wheelersburg has a good threesome in Matt Miller, JJ Truitt, and the McCorkle kid. Good size (Truitt 6-5, McCorkle 6-6), but the question that remains for the Pirates is who fills out the starting 5 and what kind of depth do they have? The Burg is another team that I don't think is exceptionally quick, but they can pound the ball inside with their size. They will be tough to match up with in the paint.

As far as my Trojans, I just hope we can not drop below #30......I think we're better than last year, but we still have some issues to work out. Quickness wise, we can match up with about anybody in the SE district. Offensively, seem to be improved, but turnovers are still a concern, along with rebounding, as we lack size once again. At least the Trojans should be much more competitive this season.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:36 pm Pfloyd: A few notes about some teams I saw this summer:

I saw North Adams demolish my Trojans, and they are very good. Really good starting 5, size to go with it, and depth off the bench. Of course summer ball is not necessarily a true indicator of a team, but in the case of the Green Devils, what I witnessed was probably what will happen come December. I would be very surprised if NA doesn't make the D3 regionals, but they may have to get by Zane Trace along the way. The only flaw I think they have is that they are not that quick overall, and that could hurt them if they meet up with a Central District team in the Sweet 16. #2 is not too high for them.

Ironton is going to be much better than what I had thought, even with the loss of Charlie Large and Ethan Wilson. I saw them play Jackson at the Marshall Shootout, and they played the Ironmen right down to the wire. Good starting 5, decent size, and have some excellent perimeter shooters.

Jackson should be really good, but unfortunately for the Ironmen they are in the FAC with Chillicothe. I don't think they're as good as the Cavaliers but should finish no worse than 2nd in the conference. JHS is another team with a good all around starting 5. Jackson should be a contender for the D2 regional.

Wheelersburg has a good threesome in Matt Miller, JJ Truitt, and the McCorkle kid. Good size (Truitt 6-5, McCorkle 6-6), but the question that remains for the Pirates is who fills out the starting 5 and what kind of depth do they have? The Burg is another team that I don't think is exceptionally quick, but they can pound the ball inside with their size. They will be tough to match up with in the paint.

As far as my Trojans, I just hope we can not drop below #30......I think we're better than last year, but we still have some issues to work out. Quickness wise, we can match up with about anybody in the SE district. Offensively, seem to be improved, but turnovers are still a concern, along with rebounding, as we lack size once again. At least the Trojans should be much more competitive this season.
... thanks for your input trojandave - good stuff! looks like we agree on the teams you brought up ... Ironton WILL BE an excellent ball club this winter ... Coach Fitch's emphasis on the Defensive end and fundamentals will bode well for the Tigers for sure ... the discipline he preaches will go a long way to take advantage of the physical strength of the Tigers ... they play strong with the ball offensively - crisp passing, ball movement, no wasted dribbling with the ball I like Ironton this season ! offensively I don't think they will have the BIG time scorer but they will have a rotation that has 5-6 players who can/will score the ball ... a good all around TEAM imo for Coach PJ Fitch & Coach McNight ...

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

mlittle wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:36 pm flip flop New Boston and Peebles and unioto and Logan and the top 20 ain’t too bad
I agree about the flip of New Boston and Peebles, still a very good starting point.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Just can’t see Peebles that high at all...even with adding Hunter Ruckel from Whiteoak

Justafan467
Waterboy

Post by Justafan467 »

I am hearing Adena got a move in this week, any truth to that? If so who is the player?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Justafan467 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:30 pm I am hearing Adena got a move in this week, any truth to that? If so who is the player?
Cade McKee from Unioto. Good kid, he’ll be able to help them

basketball12349
Riding the Bench

Post by basketball12349 »

Said it once I’m gonna say it again. Alexander has 12 seniors this year. A now 6’11” kid with 9 college offers (according to my sources). A quick point guard that can score. And a crazy deep bench. They should be good. Once again they play another tough schedule this year. TVC is going to be ROCKIN this year!!!!! I cannot wait! Interested to see how they do! Hopefully not a bust haha.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Don't sleep on VC---Combs is coming off 2 years in a row not winning the league---maybe its time????????

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Not sure where I would put them,but; Peebles is hungry for the season to begin. They are pretty good. They will be deep with more juniors and Seniors than we have had for years. Several reserves are very competative. Nobody except maybe Weston Browning has a spot locked. I love the competition for playing time. I've watched them all summer on the outside courts, at their house rims, and at the open gyms. They are bigger,stronger ,full of fire and I believe coach Arey has not had this many tools before. Looking forward to a great season. Good luck to all and hope to see you courtside.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:46 pm Not sure where I would put them,but; Peebles is hungry for the season to begin. They are pretty good. They will be deep with more juniors and Seniors than we have had for years. Several reserves are very competative. Nobody except maybe Weston Browning has a spot locked. I love the competition for playing time. I've watched them all summer on the outside courts, at their house rims, and at the open gyms. They are bigger,stronger ,full of fire and I believe coach Arey has not had this many tools before. Looking forward to a great season. Good luck to all and hope to see you courtside.
Is Ruckel there?

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:21 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:46 pm Not sure where I would put them,but; Peebles is hungry for the season to begin. They are pretty good. They will be deep with more juniors and Seniors than we have had for years. Several reserves are very competative. Nobody except maybe Weston Browning has a spot locked. I love the competition for playing time. I've watched them all summer on the outside courts, at their house rims, and at the open gyms. They are bigger,stronger ,full of fire and I believe coach Arey has not had this many tools before. Looking forward to a great season. Good luck to all and hope to see you courtside.
Is Ruckel there?
They bought a house a couple of blocks from me. He's been to most of our open gyms for awhile now. Looks to be playing here. He should help our depth.

gle300
Riding the Bench

Post by gle300 »

Warren definitely could be a sleeper this year. Point guard is a player for sure with the right pieces around him they could make a run

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

ALex has the talent this year--just don't see the coach taking them too far--need to use the big boy--no one in the TVC should be able to stop him.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Love the lists and PFloyd and respect his opinion. It is fun to discuss agree and disagree as we go. That being said, there is no way Waverly is only 22. They proved in the Jackson league when everyone is there they are one of if not the best team there. As good or better than Jackson and absolutely better than Wheelersburg.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Does North Adams have a senior led team or is it a combination of juniors and seniors?

Return to “Boys Basketball”